How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,863 Times in 7,834 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

I just started listening to "Fire and Fury:Inside the Trump White House" and good LAWD.

Juicy details and I hope like hell it isn't all true but I fear that most of it is. EEK.
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2018, 04:46 AM   #2982
Brisa

How Do You Identify?:
Female

Brisa Has the BEST ReputationBrisa Has the BEST ReputationBrisa Has the BEST ReputationBrisa Has the BEST ReputationBrisa Has the BEST ReputationBrisa Has the BEST ReputationBrisa Has the BEST ReputationBrisa Has the BEST ReputationBrisa Has the BEST ReputationBrisa Has the BEST ReputationBrisa Has the BEST Reputation
Default Brisa

Just finished Det. Joe Kendall's book (ID Channel)...It was seriously good!
Brisa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brisa For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2018, 07:23 PM   #2983
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

I finished “A Constellation of Vital Phenomena” by Anthony Mara a few weeks ago. I loved it. Heartbreaking and life/love affirming.

Before that - I read “Elinor Oliphant is Completely Fine” by Gail Honeyman which was hysterical and touching.

I’ve just stared reading “Eternal Life” by Dara Horn. It was a bit slow to start. Full of Judaic history and mysticism. Once I got about 1/3 of the way in I was hooked.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:51 AM   #2984
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,097 Times in 2,321 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

Happiness Project - Gretchen Rubin

Working through a chapter/month with friends...it’s an interesting practice in mindfulness with humor and compassion.
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:14 AM   #2985
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,588 Times in 4,690 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Print book: In the Kingdom of Ice, by Hampton Sides: "tells the true story of the 1879–1881 arctic voyage of the USS Jeannette and the crew's struggle to survive after having to abandon their ship in the polar ice."

eBook: Palace of Treason, by Jason Matthews (sequel to Red Sparrow, which was not actually good lol)

Audiobook: Fledgling, by Octavia Butler
Old 02-28-2018, 10:20 AM   #2986
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,588 Times in 4,690 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

On Sunday i finished The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry, by Jon Ronson (2011): "explores the concept of psychopathy, along with the broader mental health "industry" including mental health professionals and the mass media."

It was not what i expected and went very fast. Recommended
Old 03-03-2018, 09:33 AM   #2987
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,926 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Ann Rule (non-fiction, true crime stories)

My favorite types of things to read are non-fiction accounts.

I've recently received two books authored by Ann Rule, who retired from her role in law enforcement up in Seattle, Washington. In her books, Ann Rule draws from her experience s in law enforcement in over one thousand articles and numerous books, and she has lectured widely in law enforcement schools and agencies, as well as serving as an consultant to the FBI's Violent Criminal Apprehension Program (IV-CAP) which is used track and apprehend criminals.

I just finished reading Practice To Decieve .... the true crime story about the tragedy on Whidbey Island where Jim Huden (ex-microsoft program developer) and Peggy Sue Stackhouse took the life of another person, in the Puget Sound area, years ago.

I just received the Lust Killer . ... which this horrific crime took place in Oregon, years and years ago. I never lived here during the time this true crime account happened, but I'm looking forward to reading this book.

In a strange way, these two crime accounts remind me of the late 1960s, early 1970s account of the Zodiac Killer from the San Francisco Bay area. I was in high school back then, but I remember reading headline news coverage of this very scary true crime event.... and if I recall correctly, the Zodiac killer case has never been solved. I've always wondered if the killer would have been apprehended if Ann Rule would have been working on the case, but I wonder if cases such as the Zodiac killer might be considered the beginning of an variety of forensic sciences developed in coordination with various law enforcement agencies. I'm not sure, but I've always wondered.

Rating for Ann Rule books: Excellent!

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:25 PM   #2988
Venus007

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Serene Highness ;}
Relationship Status:
Dreamily contemplating some outrage against conventional morality

Thanked 4,768 Times in 1,144 Posts
Venus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST Reputation

Grim Tales for Young and Old by Philip Pullman
The Metomorphoses by Ovid

I have been doing some deep internal work and it's left me with a burning hunger for myths and Fairy Tales

"So you'll die happily for your sins. You'd rather die in guilt then live in love?" Timothy Leary
Venus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Venus007 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2018, 06:37 PM   #2989
RockOn

How Do You Identify?:
sitting over there ----->>>>> :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 10,310 Times in 2,609 Posts
RockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST Reputation

Roy Moore news ... he has his hand out asking for donations. Sickening! Will this knat ever go away?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/03/polit...und/index.html
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RockOn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2018, 08:36 PM   #2990
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,863 Times in 7,834 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

I finished the Donald Trump book (salacious as fuck!) and am about to start on "The Girls" by Lori Lansens.

I also am listening to "Big Magic" by Elizabeth Gilbert ("Eat, Pray, Love") and so far it's pretty good
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2018, 05:46 PM   #2991
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation
Default I don't know how a book about .......

A cantankerous curmudgeon who's lost his wife and job, both of 40 some odd years and want nothing more than to end his, a horrible crippling accident on a dream vacation, a cat on the verge of its demise after nearly freezing to death, a young gay lad being turned out by his father after revealing his lifestyle, government attempted intervention to separate a wife from her husband and place him in a facility for those suffering from Alhemizers, and an ending which one might assume you'd be in tears over.. could actually be one of the most uplifting books I've read in ages!

I highly recommend A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman. One of the best books I've read in some time!!!!
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2018, 05:55 PM   #2992
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
My favorite types of things to read are non-fiction accounts.

I've recently received two books authored by Ann Rule, who retired from her role in law enforcement up in Seattle, Washington. In her books, Ann Rule draws from her experience s in law enforcement in over one thousand articles and numerous books, and she has lectured widely in law enforcement schools and agencies, as well as serving as an consultant to the FBI's Violent Criminal Apprehension Program (IV-CAP) which is used track and apprehend criminals.

I just finished reading Practice To Decieve .... the true crime story about the tragedy on Whidbey Island where Jim Huden (ex-microsoft program developer) and Peggy Sue Stackhouse took the life of another person, in the Puget Sound area, years ago.

I just received the Lust Killer . ... which this horrific crime took place in Oregon, years and years ago. I never lived here during the time this true crime account happened, but I'm looking forward to reading this book.

In a strange way, these two crime accounts remind me of the late 1960s, early 1970s account of the Zodiac Killer from the San Francisco Bay area. I was in high school back then, but I remember reading headline news coverage of this very scary true crime event.... and if I recall correctly, the Zodiac killer case has never been solved. I've always wondered if the killer would have been apprehended if Ann Rule would have been working on the case, but I wonder if cases such as the Zodiac killer might be considered the beginning of an variety of forensic sciences developed in coordination with various law enforcement agencies. I'm not sure, but I've always wondered.

Rating for Ann Rule books: Excellent!
In today's Sunday paper there was a mention of Michelle McNamara
book, called "I'll Be Gone in the Dark." It might be something worth checking out
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2018, 12:16 AM   #2993
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
In today's Sunday paper there was a mention of Michelle McNamara
book, called "I'll Be Gone in the Dark." It might be something worth checking out
This posthumous debut recounts the chilling crimes of a serial murderer in California in the 1970s and ’80s, alongside the indefatigable investigation of crime writer McNamara to uncover the identity of the killer decades later. When McNamara first started writing about the case on her website TrueCrimeDiary in 2011, DNA testing had already linked 10 murders and 50 sexual assaults to one unknown man. The culprit, whom McNamara later gave the moniker “The Golden State Killer,” was a serial rapist in San Francisco’s East Bay in the mid-1970s, attacking women and girls in their homes. But in 1979, a close encounter with law enforcement led to a change in his M.O., and from that point on no one survived his attacks. By the time of her sudden death in 2016, McNamara had inspired an online community of sleuths who continue to research the crimes. With its exemplary mix of memoir and reportage, this remarkable book is a modern true crime classic.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:46 AM   #2994
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
This posthumous debut recounts the chilling crimes of a serial murderer in California in the 1970s and ’80s, alongside the indefatigable investigation of crime writer McNamara to uncover the identity of the killer decades later. When McNamara first started writing about the case on her website TrueCrimeDiary in 2011, DNA testing had already linked 10 murders and 50 sexual assaults to one unknown man. The culprit, whom McNamara later gave the moniker “The Golden State Killer,” was a serial rapist in San Francisco’s East Bay in the mid-1970s, attacking women and girls in their homes. But in 1979, a close encounter with law enforcement led to a change in his M.O., and from that point on no one survived his attacks. By the time of her sudden death in 2016, McNamara had inspired an online community of sleuths who continue to research the crimes. With its exemplary mix of memoir and reportage, this remarkable book is a modern true crime classic.
Thanks homoe, but I think I will take a pass on reading any more true crime stories!

_____ ______
Old 03-05-2018, 06:53 PM   #2995
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
Thanks homoe, but I think I will take a pass on reading any more true crime stories!

I can totally appreciate that! UNLESS it's Mafia related, true crime isn't really my cup of tea either.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:47 PM   #2996
RockOn

How Do You Identify?:
sitting over there ----->>>>> :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 10,310 Times in 2,609 Posts
RockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST Reputation

I was reading some info online about come alongs. Nothing there gave me any insight on why mine is not performing well. Then I remembered I left it outside one night recently and it got rained on. I decided to oil it. That did the trick. Smooth now!
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RockOn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2018, 11:55 PM   #2997
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

The Coincidence of Coconut Cake... by Amy Reichert

If you're a foodie and love a good romance this book is for you

Sidebar: Every establishment mentioned with the exception of Luella's and The Good Land, is an actual place in Milwaukee.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:21 AM   #2998
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

I traded back some books yesterday and used the in-store credit to buy another book.

Love In The Time Of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Máquez .

(1988, Vintage Books)

_____ ______
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2018, 04:13 PM   #2999
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

Thanked 14,115 Times in 2,999 Posts
easygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
A cantankerous curmudgeon who's lost his wife and job, both of 40 some odd years and want nothing more than to end his, a horrible crippling accident on a dream vacation, a cat on the verge of its demise after nearly freezing to death, a young gay lad being turned out by his father after revealing his lifestyle, government attempted intervention to separate a wife from her husband and place him in a facility for those suffering from Alhemizers, and an ending which one might assume you'd be in tears over.. could actually be one of the most uplifting books I've read in ages!

I highly recommend A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman. One of the best books I've read in some time!!!!
I picked it up from the library today! Only 15 pages in now but liking what I am reading so far. Thanks for recommending
easygoingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to easygoingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2018, 09:50 AM   #3000
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by easygoingfemme View Post
I picked it up from the library today! Only 15 pages in now but liking what I am reading so far. Thanks for recommending
You are very welcome!

Tags
books, reading