Notices

Old 09-04-2018, 02:31 PM   #3141
PlatinumPearl

How Do You Identify?:
Femme, Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her

Thanked 2,352 Times in 862 Posts
PlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST Reputation
Post I am Reading....

The Law of Attraction by Esther and Jerry Hicks.
PlatinumPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:51 AM   #3142
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,587 Times in 4,690 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

WITH EYES
Too like the Lightning, by Ada Palmer
Mycroft Canner is a convict. For his crimes he is required, as is the custom of the 25th century, to wander the world being as useful as he can to all he meets. Carlyle Foster is a sensayer--a spiritual counselor in a world that has outlawed the public practice of religion, but which also knows that the inner lives of humans cannot be wished away.

The world into which Mycroft and Carlyle have been born is as strange to our 21st-century eyes as ours would be to a native of the 1500s. It is a hard-won utopia built on technologically-generated abundance, and also on complex and mandatory systems of labelling all public writing and speech. What seem to us normal gender distinctions are now distinctly taboo in most social situations.

WITH EARS
Small Fry, by Lisa Brennan-Jobs
Born on a farm and named in a field by her parents―artist Chrisann Brennan and Steve Jobs―Lisa Brennan-Jobs’s childhood unfolded in a rapidly changing Silicon Valley. When she was young, Lisa’s father was a mythical figure who was rarely present in her life. As she grew older, her father took an interest in her, ushering her into a new world of mansions, vacations, and private schools. His attention was thrilling, but he could also be cold, critical and unpredictable. When her relationship with her mother grew strained in high school, Lisa decided to move in with her father, hoping he’d become the parent she’d always wanted him to be.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:19 PM   #3143
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,369 Times in 6,857 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I’m in the middle of two books, one fiction, one non. I’m also perusing an instructional type book (on backpacking). Now I got another book I’m anxious to dive into!

I promised myself I will finish at least ONE already started book before I get started on another...but my promise was not witnessed nor notarized....sooo.... yeah.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:46 PM   #3144
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
The arteest formerly known as musicfemme.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

Thanked 32,109 Times in 6,125 Posts
candy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputation

The Inner Temple of Witchcraft by Christopher Penczak.

My Patreon

My Website
candy_coated_bitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:12 AM   #3145
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,926 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #3146
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation
Default After watching an interview with Ken Star this morning....

I ordered his book Contempt off Amazon which should arrive Friday!

I can't wait to read this book and will report back........
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:12 PM   #3147
2qt

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her..
Relationship Status:
Single

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,967 Times in 582 Posts
2qt Has the BEST Reputation2qt Has the BEST Reputation2qt Has the BEST Reputation2qt Has the BEST Reputation2qt Has the BEST Reputation2qt Has the BEST Reputation2qt Has the BEST Reputation2qt Has the BEST Reputation2qt Has the BEST Reputation2qt Has the BEST Reputation2qt Has the BEST Reputation

lol..... My future plan!
2qt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 2qt For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2018, 05:41 PM   #3148
Wrang1er

How Do You Identify?:
Me, myself and I

1 Highscore

Thanked 7,085 Times in 1,355 Posts
Wrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST Reputation

We Are Water by Wally Lamb. This is the first book I have checked out of the library since I started school. I missed reading for pleasure. I read "I Know This Much is True" by this author and thought it was a great book. I hope this one is as well.
Wrang1er is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wrang1er For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 08:56 PM   #3149
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
GNC, not Trans, REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Thanked 6,643 Times in 2,288 Posts
Greco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST Reputation
Default 2

"Prospect The Journey Of An Artist"
by Anne Truitt
3rd in her journals...enjoy her sculptures and her writing

"Psychiatric Drug Withdrawal A Guide for Prescribers
Therapists, Patients, and Their Families"

by Dr. Peter R. Breggin, MD

An exceptionally ethical psychiatrist, and patient advocate.
Exceedingly useful in supporting my clients through this
process. Important read for everyone involved in this experience.

Greco

"Me gusta andar, pero no sigo el camino pues lo seguro no tiene misterio." Facundo Cabral
Greco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2018, 07:15 AM   #3150
jools66

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian
Relationship Status:
Married

jools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputation
Default Breakthrough - Kris Bryant

Started reading this on monday.
her books have a tendency to draw you into her characters.
Again its not heavy going, so you probably sail through it in no time.
So far i am very engaged in it.
She also has another book out called Taste, which i have yet to read.
jools66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jools66 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2018, 02:25 PM   #3151
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation
Default Update..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
I ordered his book Contempt off Amazon which should arrive Friday!

I can't wait to read this book and will report back........

I'd be done with this book by now had not other events transpired in my life but let me just say.... this is a very detailed account about how an independent council works and I'm finding it fascinating. This book and the council actually starts with the investigation of Whitewater and shows how other events, twists, and turns leads it to the Monica Lewinsky scandal.
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:16 PM   #3152
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default The diversity delusion : how race and gender pandering corrupt the university and undermine our culture / Heather Mac Donald.

America is in crisis, from the university to the workplace. Toxic ideas first spread by higher education have undermined humanistic values, fueled intolerance, and widened divisions in our larger culture.

Students emerge into the working world believing that human beings are defined by their skin color, gender, and sexual preference, and that oppression based on these characteristics is the American experience. Speech that challenges these campus orthodoxies is silenced with brute force.

The Diversity Delusion argues that the root of this problem is the belief in America’s endemic racism and sexism, a belief that has engendered a metastasizing diversity bureaucracy in society and academia. Diversity commissars denounce meritocratic standards as discriminatory, enforce hiring quotas, and teach students and adults alike to think of themselves as perpetual victims. From #MeToo mania that blurs flirtations with criminal acts, to implicit bias and diversity compliance training that sees racism in every interaction, Heather Mac Donald argues that we are creating a nation of narrowed minds, primed for grievance, and that we are putting our competitive edge at risk.

The Diversity Delusion calls for a return to the classical liberal pursuits of open-minded inquiry and expression, by which everyone can discover a common humanity.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 03:03 PM   #3153
charley
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
gentle stonebutch [vanilla]
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 1,204 Times in 422 Posts
charley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

I am presently reading the first book in the All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness, which is called A Discovery of Witches. I've gotten as far as Chapter 5, and am enjoying it immensely. How I got to start reading it was real simple: I have seen the first 5 episodes of A Discovery of Witches, a TV series adaptation of the book which was released this year by Sky in the UK. It's really very well done, much better than the Twilight film series, sort of better cause instead of for teens it's for adults. It's got everything in it - witches, vampires and daemons; it's well scripted, great acting (and excellent casting); it also has romance, drama, suspense, crime and mystery. Can't wait for episode 6, so I began reading the book... lol

Teresa Palmer plays the "witch" , and oh boy, is she ever a hottie...!!! She also starred in Hacksaw Ridge as Dorothy...

Harkness has created the witch with a last name of Bishop, going back to one of the original Salem witches - one of her ancestors. So there is a lot of history involved, alchemy, etc. Btw, the two women who raised Diana Bishop (her 'aunts') are a lesbian couple of witches - one white: Sarah (played by Alex Kingston, known for her role in Doctor Who) and one a WOC: Emily (played by Valarie Pettiford) (grinz).

Wikipedia writes of the book:
  • "A Discovery of Witches was first published in hardcover on February 8, 2011, by Penguin Books, becoming a New York Times Best Seller upon its release. It has since been released in paperback and also as an ebook. The novel has been translated into more than 36 languages. The book received mostly positive feedback from literary critics. It was praised for its intelligence and the mixture of history and fantasy, although some critics felt the plot was trite and the pacing was slow. Comparisons were made between other popular fantasy series, namely Twilight and Harry Potter. The novel began as a "thought experiment" for Harkness, who had previously only published works of historical non-fiction. She drew upon her academic background as a historian and her studies of alchemy, magic, and the occult."

I would say that the pacing in the TV series is not slow at all... kudos to the screenwriters.

Curiously, all of the characters in the book seem to have a dark side, so its appeal seems to be ... um..., universal (laughs)... and that is one reason I thought to mention the book and TV series here (haha!)

IMDb listing carries a rating of 8.6 and popularity is increasing for the TV series https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2177461/
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charley For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 08:31 PM   #3154
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,587 Times in 4,690 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by charley View Post
I am presently reading the first book in the All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness, which is called A Discovery of Witches.
Love this trilogy. My book club read the first one and w all made sure to keep up after that

Excited for the series but I don’t think we can see it in US yet.

Also the a visit to the Bodleian Library is now on my bucket list
Old 10-15-2018, 01:41 AM   #3155
charley
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
gentle stonebutch [vanilla]
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 1,204 Times in 422 Posts
charley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputation
Smile A Discovery of Witches

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_crystal View Post
Love this trilogy. My book club read the first one and w all made sure to keep up after that

Excited for the series but I don’t think we can see it in US yet.

Also the a visit to the Bodleian Library is now on my bucket list
Yes, that would be fun (both you and I would enjoy such a visit); one can just see you quietly moving up to the librarian's front desk, requesting a peek at Ashmole 782, and waiting for the librarian to groan (lol).

Btw, you may have noted in the above Wikipedia quote that one critic uses the word "trite". Personally, on reflection, it must have been one sexist misogynist guy who wrote that review, since Harkness details every feeling which Bishop has, and most sexist men cannot cope with the fact that women have feelings to begin with, lol.

Personally, I enjoy all these details, as it fills in on what much of the TV series doesn't explain.

I also wanted to add that the chapter numbering in the book doesn't equate precisely with the TV episode # - it seems to follow most of the same order, but the first 4 chapters of the book are covered in episodes 1 and 2.
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:37 AM   #3156
Wrang1er

How Do You Identify?:
Me, myself and I

1 Highscore

Thanked 7,085 Times in 1,355 Posts
Wrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST Reputation

I just finished "The Shack" by William P. Young. My mom was reading it and said she'd like to see the movie. I got the movie from the library and we watched it. After that, I had to read the book.

I attended a funeral last week and the preacher doing the service said some things and after reading this book it's really got me thinking.
Wrang1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:52 PM   #3157
akiza

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
khaleessi lol ^-^ just go with aki,ana,kit or princess
Relationship Status:
single

akiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputationakiza Has the BEST Reputation

i'm reading switch of william bayer i wouldn't be against something more gore but this one will do
akiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:16 AM   #3158
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,008 Times in 8,560 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation

An interview with Viola Davis: 'I stifled who I was to be seen as pretty. I lost years'

From The Guardian; Success hasn’t come easy for the Oscar-winning star. She talks to Benjamin Lee about the limited roles black actors are offered, why The Help was a missed opportunity, and how she learned to take the lead – in life and on screen

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...years-the-help
Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2018, 01:23 AM   #3159
jools66

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian
Relationship Status:
Married

jools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputation
Default TINA TURNER - MY LOVE STORY

Hi everyone. Just started to read this yesterday, and I have to say so far I am loving it.
Having admired her and loving her music for so many years now I had Pre-ordered this on amazon.
There are still bits I didn't know even about her childhood.
Will let you know if it's just as good of a read at the end of the book.
But so far it's a book worth buying and reading.
jools66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jools66 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2018, 04:05 AM   #3160
tantalizingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Me

Thanked 4,011 Times in 823 Posts
tantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

I am re-reading The Alchemist.
tantalizingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tantalizingfemme For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading