Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:
Very good. Thank you for asking.

Thanked 15,264 Times in 4,345 Posts
C0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTinkerbelly View Post
I’m lazy this morning and don’t want to do my own research (yet), what do you think makes De Blasio stand out as a possible President?
look into his views on why wealth is in the wrong hands ( quite sophisticated argument), health care for undocumented, low wage workers, paid vacations for private sector workers, plus he's tall, nice looking, has a non White wife, and is likely clever enough to find ways to cover up any fuck-ups during his tenure as NYC mayor.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to C0LLETTE For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 11:18 AM   #122
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,960 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0LLETTE View Post
look into his views on why wealth is in the wrong hands ( quite sophisticated argument), health care for undocumented, low wage workers, paid vacations for private sector workers, plus he's tall, nice looking, has a non White wife, and is likely clever enough to find ways to cover up any fuck-ups during his tenure as NYC mayor.
Thanks!
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:21 AM   #123
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:

C0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST Reputation

before anyone jumps on me for the "non White wife" reference, take a shot at why i might have included that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C0LLETTE For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 11:50 AM   #124
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:

Not sure why any gay/queer person would want to vote for Tulsi Gabbard ( never mind all her other stuff )
Old 01-13-2019, 12:41 PM   #125
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Not sure why any gay/queer person would want to vote for Tulsi Gabbard ( never mind all her other stuff )
She’s out as far as I’m concerned.

I’ve always been a bit of a “homosexual extremist”.

People can evolve and grow, but her deep dislike of homosexuals, well that is hard to hide.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 12:45 PM   #126
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
before anyone jumps on me for the "non White wife" reference, take a shot at why i might have included that.
I kind of get it...he probably isn’t a racist, he probably is more inclusive?

Isn’t that a little bit like saying “I have a black friend, so I can’t be prejudiced”?

Am I missing your reasoning? I often miss the point, so............
The Following User Says Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 12:57 PM   #127
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:

Just covering all the bases. It helps him? It doesn't help him ? Is it the best thing about him?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C0LLETTE For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 01:35 PM   #128
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:

Mike Pompeo to Saudi Prince : "The murder of Khashoggi was outrageous and unacceptable (wink wink )"
Old 01-13-2019, 04:17 PM   #129
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Mike Pompeo to Saudi Prince : "The murder of Khashoggi was outrageous and unacceptable (wink wink )"

Boy you really hit the nail on the head with this one COLLETTE.........
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 07:25 PM   #130
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Thanked 21,362 Times in 6,714 Posts
kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
take a shot? this reminds me of covert racism..why does her, in your opinion, color give him an additional advantage? because he can use her ethnicity as an added incentive to people of color to vote for him? Why see color at all? She's a great asset because she is a wonderful support to her husband and helps him in his work. Her color has nothing to do with it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 07:39 PM   #131
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygrrl View Post
take a shot? this reminds me of covert racism..why does her, in your opinion, color give him an additional advantage? because he can use her ethnicity as an added incentive to people of color to vote for him? Why see color at all? She's a great asset because she is a wonderful support to her husband and helps him in his work. Her color has nothing to do with it.
thanks, couldn't agree more

verb:To take a shot at is to try to do something. An example of take a shot at is when everyone is trying to solve a hard puzzle and you decide you'll take a look and see if you can solve it too.

I'm Canadian, maybe we just "take a shot "differently and peacefully.
The Following User Says Thank You to C0LLETTE For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 06:22 AM   #132
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,589 Times in 4,691 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Why see color at all?
This is the rhetoric of colorblindess. Diversity education has evolved past this theory. I am not calling you a racist, i am just suggesting an update to your thoughts on this.

LIFE magazine: How Colorblindness Is Actually Racist, By Dani Bostick:
Colorblindness is a common response to racism. More specifically, it is a common response from white people attempting to reject racism. "I am colorblind. I see people, not color. We are all the same." You might even teach your kids this perspective with the best intentions.

Here are ways colorblindness is actually racist:

Colorblindness foists whiteness on everyone. It is another way of saying, "I view everyone as if they were white." Your default color for sameness is white.

Colorblindness strips non-white people of their uniqueness.Your default culture for sameness is white culture. When you encourage your child to be colorblind and view everyone as "the same," you are projecting white on people of who aren't white, negating their experiences, traditions, and uniqueness.

Colorblindness suppresses critically important narratives of oppression. Once you view everyone through a colorblind, white lens, you deny the reality that non-white people face.

Colorblindness assumes everyone has the same experience here in America. When you fail to see color, you fail to recognize injustice and oppression.

Colorblindess promotes the idea that non-white races are inferior. When you teach your child to be colorblind, you are essentially telling them, "If someone isn't white, pretend they look like you so you can be friends." Stripping people of a fundamental aspect of their identity by claiming not to see color is dehumanizing.

Race is not the only factor that defines people. Gender, sexuality, religion, ethnicity, ability, trauma history, and socioeconomic status (to name just a few) are factors that can result in marginalization, injustice, and oppression.

Promoting colorblindness is easy. In such conversations with children, colorblindess eliminates the need to recognize and discuss extremely uncomfortable realities while perpetuating a culture of racism, injustice, and oppression. Be brave. Have the tough conversations. Acknowledging differences is not racist; it is the opposite of racist.
A couple of months ago thee was a controversy about a puppeteer claiming Bert and Ernie were always meant to be read as a gay couple. There were a lot of people who were saying "I don't care if you are gay or straight" and the lesbian comic Rhea Butcher tweeted :"please care. There are a lot of other people who care, and not in the good way"
Old 01-15-2019, 07:55 AM   #133
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:

Thanks. Couldn't agree more.
I'm an equal opportunity thanker.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:43 AM   #134
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Thanked 21,362 Times in 6,714 Posts
kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_crystal View Post
This is the rhetoric of colorblindess. Diversity education has evolved past this theory. I am not calling you a racist, i am just suggesting an update to your thoughts on this.

LIFE magazine: How Colorblindness Is Actually Racist, By Dani Bostick:
Colorblindness is a common response to racism. More specifically, it is a common response from white people attempting to reject racism. "I am colorblind. I see people, not color. We are all the same." You might even teach your kids this perspective with the best intentions.

Here are ways colorblindness is actually racist:

Colorblindness foists whiteness on everyone. It is another way of saying, "I view everyone as if they were white." Your default color for sameness is white.

Colorblindness strips non-white people of their uniqueness.Your default culture for sameness is white culture. When you encourage your child to be colorblind and view everyone as "the same," you are projecting white on people of who aren't white, negating their experiences, traditions, and uniqueness.

Colorblindness suppresses critically important narratives of oppression. Once you view everyone through a colorblind, white lens, you deny the reality that non-white people face.

Colorblindness assumes everyone has the same experience here in America. When you fail to see color, you fail to recognize injustice and oppression.

Colorblindess promotes the idea that non-white races are inferior. When you teach your child to be colorblind, you are essentially telling them, "If someone isn't white, pretend they look like you so you can be friends." Stripping people of a fundamental aspect of their identity by claiming not to see color is dehumanizing.

Race is not the only factor that defines people. Gender, sexuality, religion, ethnicity, ability, trauma history, and socioeconomic status (to name just a few) are factors that can result in marginalization, injustice, and oppression.

Promoting colorblindness is easy. In such conversations with children, colorblindess eliminates the need to recognize and discuss extremely uncomfortable realities while perpetuating a culture of racism, injustice, and oppression. Be brave. Have the tough conversations. Acknowledging differences is not racist; it is the opposite of racist.
A couple of months ago thee was a controversy about a puppeteer claiming Bert and Ernie were always meant to be read as a gay couple. There were a lot of people who were saying "I don't care if you are gay or straight" and the lesbian comic Rhea Butcher tweeted :"please care. There are a lot of other people who care, and not in the good way"
stop assuming dark, i'm Hawaiian, Japanese, and Danish. I was raised in a multi-ethnic home and experienced racism every single day as a child when i moved to the mainland. I was bullied because i was different and a different color so please save your white splaining about how you know all about it. Your un-evolved covert racism is wrong. I really could care less how you would like to minimize the emotional pain i suffered as a child because of white privilege. Someone's color or lack of color doesn't even register with me anymore in my daily life except when i come here and see it from people who should know better. So yes, i will speak my mind.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 02:51 PM   #135
CherylNYC

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm a woman. Behave accordingly.
Relationship Status:
Single, not looking.

Thanked 7,151 Times in 1,206 Posts
CherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
As a life-long New Yorker I think it's a big mistake to promote yet another New Yorker! Americans have had enough of us, I think. My personal experience is that deBlasio is a prickly, not particularly effective control freak. He also let himself get into a dick swinging contest with our Governor, and nothing about that was/is pretty. If we're thinking strategically, the Mayor's wife, Chirlaine McCray, would be a mixed bag. She's genuine and a pleasure to be around, but her history may be waaay too hard for the average American to support. She was an out lesbian before she met her husband. I think that's fantastic, but I have a low opinion of the average American voter.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:47 PM   #136
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,369 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Looks like Bernie might run -- https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...ection-1098795
Old 01-15-2019, 05:12 PM   #137
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,369 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation
Default Candidates courting Wall Street

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...es-wall-street
Old 01-15-2019, 06:05 PM   #138
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylNYC View Post
As a life-long New Yorker I think it's a big mistake to promote yet another New Yorker! Americans have had enough of us, I think. My personal experience is that deBlasio is a prickly, not particularly effective control freak. He also let himself get into a dick swinging contest with our Governor, and nothing about that was/is pretty. If we're thinking strategically, the Mayor's wife, Chirlaine McCray, would be a mixed bag. She's genuine and a pleasure to be around, but her history may be waaay too hard for the average American to support. She was an out lesbian before she met her husband. I think that's fantastic, but I have a low opinion of the average American voter.
Thank you for your post. The last thing I want to see is more men with that "pissing contest" ego in office!
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 06:07 PM   #139
WheatToast

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she her

WheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_crystal View Post
There was a big turnout with a lot of energy at the announcement event. The article shows him on record with support for Medicare for all and raising taxes on the wealthy. Do not know about free college or student debt relief. Strong on social justice and compassionate borders.

We could do worse. Could he win?
He could win if he can get past Beto O'Roarke in Texas, but it'll take some hustle. When he was mayor of San Antonio he pulled off raising city taxes to create free kindergarten for any kid who lives there, which has been a resounding success. He was also instrumental in creating "Cafe College," which I believe is a resource center that helps high school kids get into college. Both Castros are unrepenting liberals who value education, individual rights, they don't take PAC money, and the NRA gave them both F's.
Before she retired, his mom Rosie was an administrator for a large community college district in San Antonio. She managed to earn a master's degree while rearing the twins.
I also think, with all of Trump's hatred for Mexicans, Julian is the living embodiment of a second generation Mexican American, whose single mother and immigrant grandmother worked their asses off to put those twins through Stanford and Harvard Law.
Having a Mexican American candidate would, IMO, serve as a sharp contrast to Trump, or any man in the GOP who may replace Trump in 2020. Julian can run circles around Trump in debates; in history, political science, public works and sanity.
I wonder if the demographics, which depict Latinos as America's most rapidly growing population, will be enough to help this guy win?
What are your thoughts?
WheatToast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WheatToast For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 10:19 PM   #140
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,589 Times in 4,691 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
stop assuming dark, i'm Hawaiian, Japanese, and Danish. I was raised in a multi-ethnic home and experienced racism every single day as a child when i moved to the mainland. I was bullied because i was different and a different color so please save your white splaining about how you know all about it. Your un-evolved covert racism is wrong. I really could care less how you would like to minimize the emotional pain i suffered as a child because of white privilege. Someone's color or lack of color doesn't even register with me anymore in my daily life except when i come here and see it from people who should know better. So yes, i will speak my mind.
You’re right, it’s only appropriate for me to challenge my own people.

As a WOC yourself you certainly have the right to draw on your experience to challenge current rhetoric, whereas I only know what I’m told.

Tags
2020, election