Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > FUN > The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat

Notices

Old 12-07-2009, 08:17 PM   #21
TheSqueeze

How Do You Identify?:
i am what i am
Relationship Status:
TeaPartyTart's Squeeze

TheSqueeze Has the BEST ReputationTheSqueeze Has the BEST ReputationTheSqueeze Has the BEST ReputationTheSqueeze Has the BEST ReputationTheSqueeze Has the BEST ReputationTheSqueeze Has the BEST ReputationTheSqueeze Has the BEST ReputationTheSqueeze Has the BEST ReputationTheSqueeze Has the BEST ReputationTheSqueeze Has the BEST ReputationTheSqueeze Has the BEST Reputation

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Steig Larson
TheSqueeze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheSqueeze For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2009, 07:40 AM   #22
daisygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
mouthy but adorable; kinky Gerbera
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey, cutie (or dudette)
Relationship Status:
xoxo

1 Highscore

daisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSqueeze View Post
I'd never heard of this series--it [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Who-Played-Fire/dp/0307269981/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260279238&sr=8-1"]looks [/ame]really cool (I added it to my amazon wish list ). Thank you for sharing!

Hold on to the lessons, let go of the pain.
--Leslie Feinberg
daisygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:12 AM   #23
turasultana

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
spoken for

turasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputation

In the last 5 weeks or so I blew through the 9 books of the Sookie Stackhouse series (southern vampire). yes, that's how much I miss True Blood. dammit. No 10th book till May 2010, no 3rd season until June 2010.

Someone is trying to make me read twilight, but i just can't do it. Vampires don't sparkle! ugh. (and I'm not 14 :>).
turasultana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turasultana For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #24
daisygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey, cutie (or dudette)
Relationship Status:
xoxo

1 Highscore

daisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by turasultana View Post
In the last 5 weeks or so I blew through the 9 books of the Sookie Stackhouse series (southern vampire). yes, that's how much I miss True Blood. dammit. No 10th book till May 2010, no 3rd season until June 2010.

Someone is trying to make me read twilight, but i just can't do it. Vampires don't sparkle! ugh. (and I'm not 14 :>).

OOooh, I haven't heard of these Stackhouse books, either... And, I must admit that I really like Vamps (and southern vamps= ).

I did enjoy reading Twilight (and have seen the film a few times ); however, I can't seem to 'get-into' the 2nd book... The vampires sparkling...yeah, that is kinda funny--maybe it's a subconscious marketing ploy for glitter

--Leslie Feinberg
Old 12-08-2009, 04:04 PM   #25
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

The Scarpetta Factor - Patricia Cornwell

My Life in France - Julia Child

Little Big Life - Dean Koontz

I just finished Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey and am heading to BAM to see if they have the rest of the Kushiel series I haven't yet read.
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to christie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #26
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,384 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by turasultana View Post

I love love love the Stackhouse books and also blew through them all recently

I did read Twilight, but was bored....I like my Vampires wayyy trashier!
Old 12-08-2009, 06:36 PM   #27
turasultana

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
spoken for

turasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
I love love love the Stackhouse books and also blew through them all recently

I did read Twilight, but was bored....I like my Vampires wayyy trashier!
Exactly smart ass sassy vampires. Pam and Eric are awesome. AND actual sex for gods sake!
turasultana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to turasultana For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2009, 01:05 PM   #28
Darth Denkay

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm good with whatever
Relationship Status:
in love and loved

Darth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by christie0918 View Post
The Scarpetta Factor - Patricia Cornwell
Hey Christie, let me know what you think. I've read all of her stuff, the last books seem to have been going steadily downward until Scarpetta - I really enjoyed that one. Haven't read Scarpetta Factor - would love your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisygrrl View Post
I did enjoy reading Twilight (and have seen the film a few times ); however, I can't seem to 'get-into' the 2nd book... The vampires sparkling...yeah, that is kinda funny--maybe it's a subconscious marketing ploy for glitter
I've read the Twilight series and enjoyed it. The second book was my least favorite. The whole purpose of it is essentially to set up a bunch of stuff for the last 2 books. So if you can get through it I think you'll find the last 2 books really good. Same with the movies for me. I liked Twilight but was fairly bored during New Moon. At least I had Alice to drool over...
Old 12-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #29
daisygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey, cutie (or dudette)
Relationship Status:
xoxo

1 Highscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WicketWWarrick View Post

I've read the Twilight series and enjoyed it. The second book was my least favorite. The whole purpose of it is essentially to set up a bunch of stuff for the last 2 books. So if you can get through it I think you'll find the last 2 books really good. Same with the movies for me. I liked Twilight but was fairly bored during New Moon. At least I had Alice to drool over...
Thank you, Wicket, for your input!--I'm glad it wasn't just me (thinking that the 2nd book is a bit difficult to get through). That's a bummer about the film; I was hoping it might motivate me to read the book...

Yes, Alice...

Yours in fabulosity,
daisy

--Leslie Feinberg
Old 12-12-2009, 07:21 PM   #30
Mitmo01

How Do You Identify?:
Disobedient Thing...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Rebel Soul in the blood..Heathen as well
Relationship Status:
Marked and Loved....I Belong to Her....

Thanked 1,354 Times in 579 Posts
Mitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST Reputation

Dune

and i have a shitton of books that i need to plow through....im so stuck on the Dune series after i read the 3 prequels that were written by Frank Herberts son...im a non fiction reader but now im on a kick where im enjoying some fiction again

next on the nightstand is a book called....

The Eagle and The Raven by Pauline Gedge

its about Boudicca and the Romans

Last edited by Mitmo01; 12-12-2009 at 07:21 PM. Reason: mistake
Mitmo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mitmo01 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2009, 07:34 PM   #31
Rufusboi

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Partnered

Rufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST Reputation

Just started some new mind candy.....Deaver's The Twelfth Card...A Lincoln Rhymes novel. If you remember the Bone Collector film, its the same author and character. I've never tried his books before.

Rufus
Rufusboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rufusboi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2009, 12:21 AM   #32
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,744 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Let's see.. I have a few books on the go:

Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker (planning on learning this so I can make some gifts next year rather than buy -- including, perhaps, a his and hers Fisherman's Sweaters)

A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose (a lot of it seems interestingly and odd Buddhist)

Blown for Good: Behind the Iron Curtain of Scientology (interesting book by one of the former Sea Org members about what Scientology was really like and how he escaped it after a lifetime in it --- over 15 years IIRC).

Windows 7: The Definitive Guide (gotta get brushed up on that because it's related to a course I teach)
I'm still working on the other books but recently finished Blown for Good. Very interesting look into Scientology. I'm not sure how accurate it is but I have this unnerving feeling that it's fairly accurate. And if so, the main organization is a more of a concentration camp -- the image really isn't that far-fetched. For an organization (it's not really a religion in the more common sense) that is about positive thought, it's filled with so much negativity and demeaning behaviour it's unreal how long it's continued without being closed down by the government.

I'd still call it a cult given the behaviour of closing individuals off from families. I went to the site that the author created and checked out a few links. It was interesting that they called it a "cousin of Buddhism". If it is, I'd consider it a distant cousin a few times removed. No Buddhist school of thought I know of tells you to stop associating with others nor tells you that non-believers are "suppressives".

Anyways, if you find it, I'd recommend it as a quick and intense read.

I've started reading Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe so I can be somewhat up-to-speed for the FreeThinkers' thread.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2009, 12:27 AM   #33
cara

How Do You Identify?:
Queer/lesbian femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Married to my love 08.15.15

Thanked 13,254 Times in 2,724 Posts
cara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputation

I have been reading the same book for the past five months: The Mists of Avalon. I'm on chapter 3 or 4. It's a *great* book I just don't seem to find the time to read like I did when I was younger.

~cara
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cara For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2009, 12:28 AM   #34
Waldo

How Do You Identify?:
Special Snowflake
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Married

Waldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSqueeze View Post
I'm reading his Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and quite enjoying it.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #35
Darth Denkay

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm good with whatever
Relationship Status:
in love and loved

Darth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I totally get this - seems to be the case for me as well. I also think that I read slower than I used to. For so many years I've been in school where I intentionally read things slowly to let it all sink in that now I read slower in general. A bit frustrating but what are you going to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara View Post
I have been reading the same book for the past five months: The Mists of Avalon. I'm on chapter 3 or 4. It's a *great* book I just don't seem to find the time to read like I did when I was younger.

~cara
Old 12-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #36
hippieflowergirl

How Do You Identify?:
~
Preferred Pronoun?:
~
Relationship Status:
~

hippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputationhippieflowergirl Has the BEST Reputation

I've got two books going right now.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and Beyond Religion
hippieflowergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hippieflowergirl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2009, 12:46 PM   #37
weatherboi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Owned boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey boy!!!
Relationship Status:
counting freckles slowly under Her direction!!!

Thanked 12,560 Times in 2,993 Posts
weatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputation

Alice in Quantumland
Started it yesterday...pretty good so far.
weatherboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weatherboi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #38
JakeTulane
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Mr. Prickly Porcupine
Preferred Pronoun?:
Butch - Hy, Hym, Hys
Relationship Status:
She has softened My quills

Thanked 5,264 Times in 2,732 Posts
JakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST Reputation

I just finished "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein. Absolutely recommend it. I have now ordered his other novel "How Evan Broke His Head and other Secrets.".... The author also has another novel coming out in March of 2010 which I will surely purchase as well.

I have now vowed to get through the Lord of the Rings books and all of the Harry Potter's. I have seen all the films and loved them. So now I am starting The Hobbit and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.
JakeTulane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JakeTulane For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2010, 01:31 PM   #39
WILDCAT

How Do You Identify?:
Very PROUD BUTCH LESBIAN!

WILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST Reputation
Default Help, help, help... please?

A trivia sort of question:

My mother reads about ten books a week and has for as long as I can remember. She recently gave me this book to look up "who they meant"... as the author - and I did try "search", but I could not get the answer she was looking for. They did mention that this author is the pseudonym of a bestselling novelist, but not who it was/IS.

(And NO... obviously it's not Patrick Buchanan the politically extreme talking show guy who has written books. Patrick Buchanan is the "fake name" here. That came up on search all over the place, why I mention it! LOL.)

OK, book here - which to me has little significance to my mother personally, except she was curious then... A Murder of Crows. (It's old from the 70's I think - like just came up as part of a book-swap for the girls at the bridge club there in town.)

Inside of jacket, here is the "note on the author":

PATRICK BUCHANAN is the pseudonym of a bestselling novelist and prize-winning movie-maker whose books have been read by hundreds of thousands in America and translated into many languages around the world. His face is as familiar to TV viewers as this real name is to readers. He unwinds by collaborating with a globe-trotting friend on suspense and mystery (here's my mother's JONES in reading!) fiction set in unusual locales. A Murder of Crows will soon be followed by an equally exciting sequel.
___

Now, if ANYONE knows who this is - so that I can call my Mom and let her know it would made her "New Year's Day". Trust me. She forgot that she asked me about this over a month ago - and my father was sick yesterday and I need to call back there again to see how he is doing now. (And he keeps getting better, please do not worry...)

So, let me know, if anyone is up to the challenge, or just knows this period - who IS this well known person using this other name in writing here? (Remember, this book is from ... l970 copyright, and then 1972 Pyramid publishing.)

Thank YOU!!! Appreciate any help...

*Happy New Year all!!!

WILDCAT
WILDCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WILDCAT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2010, 02:20 PM   #40
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,744 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDCAT View Post
A trivia sort of question:

My mother reads about ten books a week and has for as long as I can remember. She recently gave me this book to look up "who they meant"... as the author - and I did try "search", but I could not get the answer she was looking for. They did mention that this author is the pseudonym of a bestselling novelist, but not who it was/IS.

(And NO... obviously it's not Patrick Buchanan the politically extreme talking show guy who has written books. Patrick Buchanan is the "fake name" here. That came up on search all over the place, why I mention it! LOL.)

OK, book here - which to me has little significance to my mother personally, except she was curious then... A Murder of Crows. (It's old from the 70's I think - like just came up as part of a book-swap for the girls at the bridge club there in town.)

Inside of jacket, here is the "note on the author":

PATRICK BUCHANAN is the pseudonym of a bestselling novelist and prize-winning movie-maker whose books have been read by hundreds of thousands in America and translated into many languages around the world. His face is as familiar to TV viewers as this real name is to readers. He unwinds by collaborating with a globe-trotting friend on suspense and mystery (here's my mother's JONES in reading!) fiction set in unusual locales. A Murder of Crows will soon be followed by an equally exciting sequel.
___

Now, if ANYONE knows who this is - so that I can call my Mom and let her know it would made her "New Year's Day". Trust me. She forgot that she asked me about this over a month ago - and my father was sick yesterday and I need to call back there again to see how he is doing now. (And he keeps getting better, please do not worry...)

So, let me know, if anyone is up to the challenge, or just knows this period - who IS this well known person using this other name in writing here? (Remember, this book is from ... l970 copyright, and then 1972 Pyramid publishing.)

Thank YOU!!! Appreciate any help...

*Happy New Year all!!!

WILDCAT
http://edwincorley.com/

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading