Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > The Butch Zone

The Butch Zone For all things "Butch"

Old 08-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
Toph

How Do You Identify?:
Butch as fuck
Relationship Status:
alone until i heal

Toph Has the BEST ReputationToph Has the BEST ReputationToph Has the BEST ReputationToph Has the BEST ReputationToph Has the BEST ReputationToph Has the BEST ReputationToph Has the BEST ReputationToph Has the BEST ReputationToph Has the BEST ReputationToph Has the BEST ReputationToph Has the BEST Reputation
Default Gender Identity and Cancer...

i read recently of a struggle someone had had with her partners discovery of a lump. it is a sad thing that this fucking disease still exists!

but the simple fact is cancer invades, attacks and it is deadly.

it doesnt matter how you identify, who you identify with or how your insides or outsides appear.

genderqueers, genderfucks, androgynous, lesbian, dyke, gay, fag, top, bottom, daddy, baby girl, bearded non bearded, stone butch, concrete, marble, soft and semi butches, femmes of ALL maintenance levels, big people, little people, males and females, young and old, people of all sizes and shapes all colors all ethnicity all countries all islands...

it doesnt matter... none of it matters... cancer is a non-partisan, non-biased, non-discriminating disease that can and will easily kill!!! we as a community, as members of the human race, need to be proactive NOT reactive.

*****we are all targets*****

make a damned appointment for testing or just to talk to your doc about it. make arrangements to have your self examined. shallow any thing you need to swallow to help, go alone, take friends, make play dates, don't tell anyone, take your puppy who cares. Just Fucking Do It!

take it from me, if the disease doesn't kill you the fucking chemo/radiation/drugs just might. but stepping on the ladder and being on top of it will definately help in the stages of battle you are in.
Toph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Toph For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
freckledassal

How Do You Identify?:
Femme

freckledassal Has the BEST Reputationfreckledassal Has the BEST Reputationfreckledassal Has the BEST Reputationfreckledassal Has the BEST Reputationfreckledassal Has the BEST Reputationfreckledassal Has the BEST Reputationfreckledassal Has the BEST Reputationfreckledassal Has the BEST Reputationfreckledassal Has the BEST Reputationfreckledassal Has the BEST Reputationfreckledassal Has the BEST Reputation
Default Thank you Toph..

This is an important reminder. Thank you for posting it. I know you are one bad M-Fckr..so if this happens to be what you have battled..I know you have won!

xoxoxoxo
freckledassal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freckledassal For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
firegal

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Don't let the gal part of my screen name fool ya I,m ALL butch!

1 Highscore

Thanked 11,735 Times in 2,469 Posts
firegal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Agrees wholeheartedly....CANCER SUCKS!

It doesnt discriminate. My thoughts go out to all affected by this disease.
firegal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to firegal For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,720 Times in 5,083 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

BB and I watched this movie Southern Comfort, a documentary following an FTM and his queer friends, all living in the conservative deep South, as they go through the experience of losing their dear mentor to ovarian cancer. The tremendous difficulty he and his friends had finding him treatment for a "female" cancer was heart breaking, yet the dedication in the community reminded me of the tightness in our own. Here's a link to the documentary:

http://www.nextwavefilms.com/southern/
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

This is a great resource is you need to find a 'friendly' health care provider...

www.glma.org
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
Toph

How Do You Identify?:
Butch as fuck
Relationship Status:
alone until i heal

Toph Has the BEST ReputationToph Has the BEST ReputationToph Has the BEST ReputationToph Has the BEST ReputationToph Has the BEST ReputationToph Has the BEST ReputationToph Has the BEST ReputationToph Has the BEST ReputationToph Has the BEST ReputationToph Has the BEST ReputationToph Has the BEST Reputation

BB and I watched this movie Southern Comfort, a documentary following an FTM and his queer friends, all living in the conservative deep South, as they go through the experience of losing their dear mentor to ovarian cancer. The tremendous difficulty he and his friends had finding him treatment for a "female" cancer was heart breaking, yet the dedication in the community reminded me of the tightness in our own. Here's a link to the documentary:

http://www.nextwavefilms.com/southern/

i saw that a few years ago, it is a sad reminder BUT a necessary one to show people the reality of the battle.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toph For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

I think it is super important for people to get their yearly screenings.

Jackhammer went on her Birthday do get a pap test and breast exam. The fact that NOBODY likes doing this is one thing but the fact that she is a Butch woman in the South who often presents as "Male" to people who don't know her is another.

I have dated Butches in the past who refused to get their medical screenings because they were so uncomfortable or they didn't want anyone looking at the parts of their body that they weren't necessarily crazy about or in touch with. I was sad when it happened.

Peeps - Do NOT put your health at risk. Get your checkups no matter your gender!
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
Toph

How Do You Identify?:
Butch as fuck
Relationship Status:
alone until i heal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
I think it is super important for people to get their yearly screenings.

Jackhammer went on her Birthday do get a pap test and breast exam. The fact that NOBODY likes doing this is one thing but the fact that she is a Butch woman in the South who often presents as "Male" to people who don't know her is another.

I have dated Butches in the past who refused to get their medical screenings because they were so uncomfortable or they didn't want anyone looking at the parts of their body that they weren't necessarily crazy about or in touch with. I was sad when it happened.

Peeps - Do NOT put your health at risk. Get your checkups no matter your gender!

our pride won't help those we leave behind because we had 'too much pride' to pay attention...just saying
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Toph For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch (Silver Fox) Dom Daddi
Preferred Pronoun?:
50 Shades of Clay Darker & Deeper
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Thanked 31,685 Times in 7,714 Posts
clay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

My PCP bugged me for almost 10 yrs. to get a colonoscopy and to do the regular hemoccult cards....being the "stubborn" soul I am.....never got them.
Last year I was found to be precancerous in the uterus, referred to a Gynecological Oncologist...who even before she saw me ordered a colonoscopy! So I went on and got it...no questions asked...and am I ever grateful I did so. The scope found a malignant tumor in my colon.
So she tag teamed with a surgical oncologist...and I had a total hystero AND a colon resection done simultaneously! I was very close to Stage I colon cancer BUT managed to dodge a major bullet by having had that colonoscopy done!~!! I didn't have to have chemo OR rad.
I am a MAJOR advocate for getting those yearly screenings done.
After 50, get that colonoscopy! Colon cancer is detected this way!!!
I am pushing my younger sibling to get one done..as his chances of developing colon cancer DOUBLED with my having had it.
Colon Cancer is the SECOND leading cause of Cancer deaths!
My life partner lost her life due to her refusal at getting even a mere physical yearly. When her cancer was found, she was Stage IV...it was breast Ca that had mets.'ed to liver/lung/brain/kidneys..
So to ECHO.......let go of that foolish notion and pride.....
PLEASE get those annual screenings and physicals done!!!!
A pride is much easier to deal with than a broken heart and an empty void of losing someone!!!!
Old 08-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Cancer sucks harder than getting a pap, or breast exam or a colonoscopy. I've had 2 colonoscopies in 3 years, a total Laprotomy due to fibroids that thankfully were benign. My mother died of cancer that had metastasized, so don't put your health at risk, do what you need to to stay healthy, everyone.
If you think you'll be embarrassed with an exam, try being in the hospital with strangers taking care of wiping ones bum. There are worse things in the world than an exam.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)

Last edited by Corkey; 08-14-2012 at 07:09 PM. Reason: I can't spell and you all should be used to it by now...
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #11
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
once in a while someone amazing comes along...and here I am!

Thanked 14,400 Times in 4,049 Posts
Blade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST Reputation

I don't understand why we (general) ignore the important things in life that we actually have control over, if we will just take control. I have always gotten my yearly exams. I will be 50 in a few weeks, so yall know what that means.

Below is a partial list of people in my life, who's life has been cut short due to letting the symptoms slide or not getting an annual check up.

That constant cough may not be from smoking
RIP...... Tony 47...2005....lung

Cancer doesn't care that you are retired Navy
RIP ......Tim 49 2003.......liver

Doesn't matter that you are a nurse
RIP..... Paulette 63..........2007....breast

Cancer doesn't care that you are a Mom with small children
RIP Barbara 38........2007......ovarian

Say your get up and go has got up and gone, you feel sickly daily and this isn't like you
RIP Lanny 54...........2012.....leukemia

You are a highly decorated Vietnam vet, picture of health, nonsmoker, suddenly you can't swallow, get checked
RIP Mike 49..........1999.....Throat likely from breathing agent orange

RIP Johnny 53......2001...Stomach also likely from bathing in agent orange

You are a great father, husband, employee, christian, but you continually unexpectedly lose your bladder...dude cancer don't care
RIP Bobby 52....2000.......back and bladder cancer

You are never to old to get cancer get it checked out
RIP Maude 83....1993.....melanoma

Or to young
RIP Jeff 23......1992......shoulder.......started as a lump

Cancer doesn't care how many kids lives you have touched or how many times you have been teacher of the year
RIP Ricky 52......2006........leukemia....remission....leuke mia

The earliest I remember losing someone to cancer was my homeroom teacher in 1977...Mr Cully...I have no idea how old he was but I believe younger than my parents were so early thirties, nor do I remember what kind of cancer.

See where I'm going with this? Just go get checked if you have unusual symptoms and get your annual check ups. Your family and friends will thank you.

The best way to predict the future, is to create it.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Blade For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #12
Toph

How Do You Identify?:
Butch as fuck
Relationship Status:
alone until i heal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
I don't understand why we (general) ignore the important things in life that we actually have control over, if we will just take control. I have always gotten my yearly exams. I will be 50 in a few weeks, so yall know what that means.

Below is a partial list of people in my life, who's life has been cut short due to letting the symptoms slide or not getting an annual check up.

That constant cough may not be from smoking
RIP...... Tony 47...2005....lung

Cancer doesn't care that you are retired Navy
RIP ......Tim 49 2003.......liver

Doesn't matter that you are a nurse
RIP..... Paulette 63..........2007....breast

Cancer doesn't care that you are a Mom with small children
RIP Barbara 38........2007......ovarian

Say your get up and go has got up and gone, you feel sickly daily and this isn't like you
RIP Lanny 54...........2012.....leukemia

You are a highly decorated Vietnam vet, picture of health, nonsmoker, suddenly you can't swallow, get checked
RIP Mike 49..........1999.....Throat likely from breathing agent orange

RIP Johnny 53......2001...Stomach also likely from bathing in agent orange

You are a great father, husband, employee, christian, but you continually unexpectedly lose your bladder...dude cancer don't care
RIP Bobby 52....2000.......back and bladder cancer

You are never to old to get cancer get it checked out
RIP Maude 83....1993.....melanoma

Or to young
RIP Jeff 23......1992......shoulder.......started as a lump

Cancer doesn't care how many kids lives you have touched or how many times you have been teacher of the year
RIP Ricky 52......2006........leukemia....remission....leuke mia

The earliest I remember losing someone to cancer was my homeroom teacher in 1977...Mr Cully...I have no idea how old he was but I believe younger than my parents were so early thirties, nor do I remember what kind of cancer.

See where I'm going with this? Just go get checked if you have unusual symptoms and get your annual check ups. Your family and friends will thank you.

sadly, we all have lists like this!

the losses are astounding the grief sometimes unbearable.

thanks for your words
The Following User Says Thank You to Toph For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #13
Jett

How Do You Identify?:
Hardcore bullheaded grown-ass Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
she loves my shaggy hair

Location: The backroom of a night cafe plotting world domination
Thanked 3,299 Times in 568 Posts
Jett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST Reputation

http://transitionnow.wordpress.com/2...-should-avoid/

An ounce of prevention... plz be aware of what you put on or in your body... research, research, research! You'd be amazed at what you are absorbing or digesting from the time you wake up till the time you sleep every single day.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jett For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2013, 06:43 PM   #14
TruTexan

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,268 Times in 1,633 Posts
TruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST Reputation
Default Glad I found this thread!!

I have been looking for a thread like this and I'm glad I found it. I was actually checking around to see if there was a specific thread to address the other than femme ID"S to see if they go and get regular checks like pelvic exams, pap smears , mammograms and breast exams , as well as colonoscopies done. I'm a butch that does all that. I believe that no matter what you ID , or how you like your body you are living in, please go get checked out regularly. It could prevent disease running amock and possibly save your life. I have had many thoughts about this over the years because I have had butch friends that REFUSE to get a pap smear/pelvic exam and refuse to do anything that even remotely resembles taking care of their female anatomy they were born with. It makes me sad that they choose to take such a risk like this. just sad. Thank you all for sharing. I appreciate your posts.