Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LOVE > Romance

Old 11-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation
Default Talkin' 'bout love...

Hey, so many times people need a place to ask things like "how do I know it's love?" or "how do I tell if I've ever been in love, as opposed to just loving someone?"

Well, I haven't got a good articulation on the first one, but I have thoughts on that second one and I don't wish to lose them *soft smile* so voila, a thread on love. Use it as you see fit.
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2009, 05:12 PM   #2
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

My thoughts: The only difference I personally have found between "love" and "romantic love" is that when it's "romantic love" I want to have sex with the person.

I am truly serious here; if you (you in general) don't love your partner the way you love a best friend, if you don't trust your partner with your child's life, if you wouldn't give your partner a kidney.... why are they your partner? What the heck do you get out of the relationship, if you don't have that level of trust and love?

"Being in love" is, I think, the lust and infatuation phase of "romantic love." If you're high on being with someone, you are "being in love." It cannot last forever for normal people. We fall out of "being in love"... the question is, what do we fall INTO?

In my case, I fall into the kind of love where I would give my kidney, my lung, one eye and half my liver without thinking twice if my love needed them.

Not only that, but in Gryph's case? I would give him Lady.

I suspect he might be the only one who understands that I would be giving him half my soul... and that understanding is why I could give her to him. He would cherish her forever.

"Being in love" is highly overrated. I personally don't need to live my life high, stoned on lust and hormones; I need to live it real, with both feet solidly on the ground and someone next to me just as solid. I need to live life loving each other for the long haul. I need to live life connected with a broad deep love that flows like a river to the sea, constant and self-replenishing; a love that uses all things, even the storms of life, to deepen and renew itself; a love that sustains vibrant life all around and brings richness to everything it touches.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2009, 12:49 AM   #3
espressolover83

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

espressolover83 Has the BEST Reputationespressolover83 Has the BEST Reputationespressolover83 Has the BEST Reputationespressolover83 Has the BEST Reputationespressolover83 Has the BEST Reputationespressolover83 Has the BEST Reputationespressolover83 Has the BEST Reputationespressolover83 Has the BEST Reputationespressolover83 Has the BEST Reputationespressolover83 Has the BEST Reputationespressolover83 Has the BEST Reputation

I guess there's no fast and hard rule to know when it is considered that it is love. It's a feeling more than anything else. I don't try to rationalise these things, as what they say is true - love knows no reason.

Romantic love? Well. If it is love towards a partner, it is always romantic love - is it not? Love is quite broad and the most defined word. I think love is of different levels and different kinds i.e., filial love, love for a best friend, love for a sister/brother, etc.

So when people fall out of love - I guess this is when they don't feel the same way anymore and either do not want to reconcile their feelings anymore. Or, they found someone else to love.

And when you're in love, I guess you just know it. It's a feeling like no other.
espressolover83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to espressolover83 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2009, 07:48 AM   #4
D-Money

How Do You Identify?:
i do what i want :)
Relationship Status:
well, i'm not banging my ex anymore, so that's good ;)

Location: at The Pink Taco. really ... it's called The Pink Taco ;)
D-Money Has the BEST ReputationD-Money Has the BEST ReputationD-Money Has the BEST ReputationD-Money Has the BEST ReputationD-Money Has the BEST ReputationD-Money Has the BEST ReputationD-Money Has the BEST ReputationD-Money Has the BEST ReputationD-Money Has the BEST ReputationD-Money Has the BEST ReputationD-Money Has the BEST Reputation
Default my somewhat radical hypothesis ...

i think *all* love is the same.

we love our partners, our children, our parents and siblings, all the people we love ... it's all the same love.

we just interpret and express that love differently in different relationships and situations.

the idea of "being in love" ... i think that's what happens when a fiar dose of lust is mixed in

one more thing about love: i believe we choose to love ... and we can also choose not to love. i do NOT think that loving or not loving is something beyond our control.
D-Money is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D-Money For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

@ Bit..

I think some people fall in love .. find a soulmate ( am not a fan of that word but yaknow) or a lifemate...

I think some people fall in lust.. find a lustmate

It's all specific to ones needs and desires..

I am SO blessed to have found a lifemate who I lust after..
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #6
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

{{{{{{{{{{{Espresso, Donna, Sassy}}}}}}}}}}}

Oh my, I think I might have forgotten to subscribe to this thread, lol--I started it before I set my preferences--so I didn't know anyone had answered! *laughing*

Thank you all for your input. I don't know if I believe that we choose to love or to not love *tilts head, considering* but I do believe that we choose to be obsessed or to let go. I've seen an awful lot of people refuse to let go and admit that they didn't get what they wanted. Over the years I've learned the hard way that you can never judge by only side of the story. So many times I have believed the person who told me there was something between them and another person--and taken their side completely when the other person behaved like an ass!--only to find out later that it was a one-sided relationship; the other person had not made any promises, didn't consider themselves in a relationship anymore, had moved on with their life, and by any reasonable standards had not been an ass at all.

I like the soulmate/lifemate/lustmate distinction. Mercedes Lackey has a term, "lifebonded" that just feels right to me; it feels like being woven together.

Thanks again! I enjoyed reading your posts!

Last edited by Bit; 11-18-2009 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Cripes! Completely forgot to format!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bit For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #7
NotAnAverageGuy
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Trans

NotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the rough

Hmmm I would have no idea that I was really "in love" with my ex's or just "being in love" with the whole idea of being with them and living with them, etc.
NotAnAverageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NotAnAverageGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2009, 11:40 PM   #8
atomiczombie

How Do You Identify?:
Femmesensual Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His
Relationship Status:
Dating

Thanked 3,221 Times in 757 Posts
atomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputation

I have fallen madly and deeply in love exactly twice. There have been others that I have loved deeply, but only 2 who I can honestly say I wanted to spend my life with them. It didn't work out, but that's life. Sometimes I wonder if I will ever feel that way about someone again, but some part of me doubts I will get that lucky.
atomiczombie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to atomiczombie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2009, 04:13 PM   #9
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,769 Times in 25,658 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post

"Being in love" is highly overrated. I personally don't need to live my life high, stoned on lust and hormones; I need to live it real, with both feet solidly on the ground and someone next to me just as solid. I need to live life loving each other for the long haul. I need to live life connected with a broad deep love that flows like a river to the sea, constant and self-replenishing; a love that uses all things, even the storms of life, to deepen and renew itself; a love that sustains vibrant life all around and brings richness to everything it touches.
I like your thoughts on this.

Of course, I enjoy the butterflies and anticipation in the beginning of a new relationship but it's the foundation underneath all that schmoopy stuff that I need. It needs to be solid and true.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #10
Hudson

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Truth is stranger than fiction.

Hudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST Reputation

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP5JzWDWcoo"]YouTube- Mr Mrs Smith -love[/ame]
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2010, 02:59 PM   #11
Laidbackgrly

How Do You Identify?:

Laidbackgrly Has the BEST ReputationLaidbackgrly Has the BEST ReputationLaidbackgrly Has the BEST ReputationLaidbackgrly Has the BEST ReputationLaidbackgrly Has the BEST ReputationLaidbackgrly Has the BEST ReputationLaidbackgrly Has the BEST ReputationLaidbackgrly Has the BEST ReputationLaidbackgrly Has the BEST ReputationLaidbackgrly Has the BEST ReputationLaidbackgrly Has the BEST Reputation
Default Being in love

me I cant wait to be with that person I break my legs gettin outta work to go home to her all I can think about is her I cant wait to find that again I wonder if it will happen again
Laidbackgrly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laidbackgrly For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2010, 03:50 PM   #12
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

This love you speak of,it is the thing we all go nuts after,try so hard to hold on to only to fall flat when its gone...then we do it alllllllll over again.Hummmm I think I will just sit and read cause this could very intresting.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #13
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Thanked 12,310 Times in 2,057 Posts
Ginger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST Reputation

I trust a person's actions more than her words.

Sometimes people lie to themselves, and from that place, lie to their partner. They don't mean to do so—but it happens. Meanwhile, their actions tell the truth.

I have done this, too.

We humans struggle.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ginger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #14
Turtle

How Do You Identify?:
A mixity
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatever
Relationship Status:
chillin

Thanked 4,531 Times in 1,222 Posts
Turtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST Reputation

I ran into a good old friend yesterday. I hadn't seen him for about 8 years. I have thought of him often over time. I love him, deeply. I think of him and feel him as what I call a "Soul buddy." We "get" each other, we feel each other, and we are VERY comfortable with each other. Do we want to have sex, no. Would I give him a kidney...probably.

In dating, I think there can be this initial electricity in being the focus of someone's attention that can be sexy and mood elevating and great fun...and it can deepen into a lasting relationship, but often doesn't.

For me, it's whether or not I feel like the other person has touched my soul that determines whether or not I call it and feel it as love. Does that soul touch always involve kidney donation - no. I'll still call it love, though. Does that soultouch mean I want to marry them - no. Can it happen with someone I meet in the course of my day at work - yes. Will I think of that person with love in my heart - yes.

For me, I love freely with my heart. For me, in my primary settled down coming home to you every night relationship I want and need a deep soulfelt love, trust, depth, caring, and responsibility in thought and action.

The original questions of "how do I know it's love?" - for me, it's the touch of my soul.

And "what do we fall into?" - I think that the "fall in love" thing is the high energy of a new exciting focus mixed in with sexual energy. I believe it is possible to keep that feeling alive even if that "newness" lasts for 35 years.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Turtle For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #15
macele

How Do You Identify?:
a bold-assed maximus
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 3,239 Times in 849 Posts
macele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputation

a partner is sometimes about companionship. being in love is not a part of the equation. but that just depends on where 2 people are in their lives. example: amelia earhart and george putnam had a pre-marital aggreement. it seems more like companionship rather than being in love. for sure by amelia. http://www.lib.purdue.edu/spcol/aearhart/marriage.php

being in love is to want to know everything there is about the other person. wanting to give them pleasure in all directions of their lives. just can't seem to get enough.

people change. change isn't always a bad thing. i've never stopped loving anyone. the being in love part changed. i'm not a fan of the pharse "falling out of love".

i adore the thought of a soulmate. i don't think i should be fixated on one. i think i can have more than one in my lifetime. does every one find a soulmate?

i know that i need to really focus on communication. i don't do that well. if two people really get to know selves and share that knowing in a communicative way, ... most likely the lifetime relationship will be found.

i've often wondered, does our own hearts deceive us? it's possible. it could be said that the deception is not by the heart, but instead, things such as lust. and i tend to go with my heart doesn't ask me for permission to love. so that thing i call heart, in my opinion, can absolutely do whatever it wants.
macele is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to macele For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2012, 06:06 AM   #16
mariamma

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 1,116 Times in 281 Posts
mariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputation

Love is something I spend a lot of time mulling over. I've loved deeply yet never get what I'm seeking from my love relationships. My heart has been broken yet I have left everyone except my first GF and BF. And I do energy work. I work on hormones, neurotransmitters and the other trace protein structures that make us all feel/do what we feel/do.
Love is a combination of testosterone, estrogen, oxytocin, vasopressin, prolactin and it's all run by dopamine. It's amazing to hear scientists talk about the neural pathways and how the brain reacts to love. A recent NY times article said (a paraphrase) when we're born, the high amount of O makes us bond with our families and we spend the rest of our lives seeking THAT level of O. V makes us swoon (vasopressin is also called antidiuretic hormone) at the sight/thought of our love. P is released involuntarily during orgasm and is involved with sexual gratification. They use it as a marker for seizure behavior because all muscles will clench when one has a seizure.
All this studying and research has me pensive, brooding and pining for what I don't have. I know I love deep and hard. I feel it may be that I am setting the bar out of human reach. I have to be happy with the notion that I've had my share of love and what I'm looking for...probably won't happen this life time. Am I looking for the O I felt at birth? Maybe. My mother never loved or cared for me. I believe she is a pathological liar and probably has a huge hand in why I'm as empathic as I am now. When one says a lie, I see and feel it immediately (thanks to O).
Anyways....I love love. Just wish love loved me as much as I love love.
mariamma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mariamma For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #17
macele

How Do You Identify?:
a bold-assed maximus
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 3,239 Times in 849 Posts
macele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputation

hey mariam. just from your words, i feel that you can do anything you set your mind to. i believe that of everyone, but not everyone gives off a vibe such as yours, ... hoping to make sense here. i feel an understanding from you. an understanding of what love is all about. timing, where we are in life, ... plays a major role in finding love. i'd bet on you. i believe you'll find. be good to yourself. you are loved.
macele is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to macele For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #18
Quintease

How Do You Identify?:
Rainbow femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,816 Times in 417 Posts
Quintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST Reputation

They make you want to be a better person (of course 'better' is all a matter of perspective).

They also make you want to have sex with them, usually only if it's romantic love.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #19
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Thanked 12,310 Times in 2,057 Posts
Ginger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST Reputation

For me, love goes away when someone treats me in an unloving way, over a long period of time.

I feel deeply hurt, then angry, then indifferent.

Sometimes I can come back from that place, but not always.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ginger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #20
mariamma

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 1,116 Times in 281 Posts
mariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputation

Thank you Macele *curtseys*
mariamma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
in love, love, questions about love