How Do You Identify?:
Just Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Busy

1 Highscore

Thanked 2,920 Times in 879 Posts
QueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST Reputation

Seriously? Everyone needs to take a deep breath. The OP even stated that the term is disturbing to her because she has heard it used in stock breeding. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a term used on farms and ranches and other places on the planet for breeding animals. She did NOT equate animals to butches, so get over it already.

"There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way." Christopher Morley
QueenofSmirks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to QueenofSmirks For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #22
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

But..why!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalker View Post

That's because they are not the same thing.

Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #23
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Red face Yikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenofSmirks View Post
Seriously? Everyone needs to take a deep breath. The OP even stated that the term is disturbing to her because she has heard it used in stock breeding. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a term used on farms and ranches and other places on the planet for breeding animals. She did NOT equate animals to butches, so get over it already.

I think and I am only taking a guess because this tends to happens with this particular convo when it comes to animals referenced and POC cultural terms. Folks get sensitive when the animal/stud/POC reference is all lumped together. I don't think it was the case this time but maybe that's why it's a sore spot for some folk.

Hopefully some of the community members who identify as such can come in and help Girl on Fire
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #24
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,131 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

So, interesting topic. I had never heard the word aggressive or stud used to mean butch until I hit the other site and then here. I understand them to be cultural usage (as has been stated).

I was familiar with stud being used for bio males (but not aggressive). As in "Hey stud, how's it hanging?"

Now, if you want to dig into this etymologically, then, yes, stud does have a animal husbandry background.

However, for me, I think that the use of stud as a term for a butch woman comes from the hetero male use of the word and not the farm hand. The same as "bud" or "buddy" or "bro" or "compadre". Capiche`?

Now I do know some butches who are animals (rawr rawr) but I don't know any who wouldn't understand that if I said, "Hey stud" I wasn't seeing them as some massive-donged animal in the paddock, but more as some massively sexy human that I wanted to flirt with.

That having been said, I'd like to pause to remind everyone that our dear friend Mercury is in cranky mode and will go into full on "everyone's stupid" mode on Tuesday.

Which ought to make poll day uber fun.

Last edited by Arwen; 11-03-2012 at 08:20 PM. Reason: skipped a word. :D
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #25
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Default Hisssss

Mercury in Retro BUZZ KILL!!!

How long does it last????

"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #26
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

How much more stupid can the Republicans get? Maybe they'll forget it's Election Day and stay home.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/101772451
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #27
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Girl on Fire

i find this subject matter very interesting and found your approach to asking about it very amicable.

i'm interested to see what others say and i tend to learn lots from these conversations.

Thank you!
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #28
BstlMyhart

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Relationship Status:
Single

BstlMyhart Has the BEST ReputationBstlMyhart Has the BEST ReputationBstlMyhart Has the BEST ReputationBstlMyhart Has the BEST ReputationBstlMyhart Has the BEST ReputationBstlMyhart Has the BEST ReputationBstlMyhart Has the BEST ReputationBstlMyhart Has the BEST ReputationBstlMyhart Has the BEST ReputationBstlMyhart Has the BEST ReputationBstlMyhart Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl_On_Fire View Post
I wasn't saying that I saw people who identified as "studs" as animals. I was saying that's the only way I'd ever heard that term used before until very recently. I thought it would start an interesting discussion, which is why I didn't just "Google" it just for my own knowledge.

I meant no offense to anyone.

You really aren't being offensive. Ask anything you like anytime...this IS what we are here for...support.
BstlMyhart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to BstlMyhart For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #29
julieisafemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to Greyson

Thanked 3,445 Times in 660 Posts
julieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I agree with Corkey, from what I have learned in the community, that butch and stud or aggressive are not the same thing. Last year there was a huge kerfuffle in the community when Butch Voices decided to add "masculine of center" to their mission statement. Many butches were upset about this. The organizers maintained that the term MoC was more inclusive to communities of color who did not necessarily feel comfortable with the term butch.

I know that my partner came out in the 70s and that in his community people did use the term stud. I don't think it is that new.

Girl on Fire I don't think you meant to be offensive but it is important to understand that the question as worded was offensive to some. My goodness I have said any number of things on forums that have offended people. I take it as a learning experience and I am grateful for every person who did point things out to me!
Old 11-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #30
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

i agree!

we were all new once and not familiar with terms and language. We all had to learn from others since there is no manual (or is there?).

i still stumble and i been around a long damn time.

i will always enjoy conversations that are brought forth from a place of honesty and sincerity, which i found she is. She seems willing to accept that even unintentional words can offend, and we must be careful of that.

i'm looking forward to more on this subject !

girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #31
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Two points

One, it is always good to be careful when asking about ID's. Perhaps more careful than the OP was.

Two, I am thankful we didn't dogpile the OP. I just am.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #32
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,776 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Most of my thoughts have pretty much been covered, but to touch on a point Girl_on_Fire referenced in her OP, I have noticed that some of the younger generation of our community is using that term, and not related to the African American cultural connection.

I think it's interesting that the term is being adopted by a group that it may not normally have been associated with but I feel a tiny bit of hesitancy in that the original cultural connection may be lost along the way.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #33
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
Most of my thoughts have pretty much been covered, but to touch on a point Girl_on_Fire referenced in her OP, I have noticed that some of the younger generation of our community is using that term, and not related to the African American cultural connection.

I think it's interesting that the term is being adopted by a group that it may not normally have been associated with but I feel a tiny bit of hesitancy in that the original cultural connection may be lost along the way.
Can you say A P P R O P R I A T I O N?

Gemme, maybe I should clarify? I am not saying you are appropriating. I do beleive there are instances when appropriation does happen. You get the goodies without the price that has been paid.

Last edited by Greyson; 11-03-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #34
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,776 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyson View Post

Gemme, maybe I should clarify? I am not saying you are appropriating. I do beleive there are instances when appropriation does happen. You get the goodies without the price that has been paid.
Good, because I'm not claiming that term.

I can see how someone who does adopt this term might be appropriating.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #35
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
vibing

Thanked 21,373 Times in 6,723 Posts
kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

hmm...i don't think I ever have used this term ..however, i do understand it's used mostly as a way of expressing "buddy" or "hot-sexy-amazing"..but you shouldn't take for granted the person you are addressing will appreciate your greeting/endearment..especially, at this time of year..tip toeing thru the tulips, doesn't mean we shouldn't watch for the unwelcoming cowpie
The Following User Says Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #36
Massive

How Do You Identify?:
Trans man
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him
Relationship Status:
not looking

Thanked 2,383 Times in 765 Posts
Massive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST Reputation

For me personally, stud just isn't a term I'm familiar with or have ever heard being used here in the UK, so thank you to the OP for broaching the subject, I'm enjoying seeing this being discussed, as far as I'm concerned it's better to ask a question than to make assumptions or remain ignorant.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #37
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Thanked 12,310 Times in 2,057 Posts
Ginger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyson View Post

Sometimes, though, "appropriating" is a way of subverting power dynamics in a cultural or social construct. Members of our community appropriate male pronouns. Gays and lesbians appropriate straight marriage rituals. And so on.

Sometimes appropriation is kind of thrilling.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ginger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2012, 07:08 AM   #38
Daktari

Appropriation = using a name/label/title/id/term without "paying the price for the goodies"?

If I read this correctly then I suggest anyone under, say 50, possibly 60yrs old, shouldn't 'appropriate' queer, dyke, butch, femme, et alia, because they didn't pay the price alongside our older brothers and sisters fighting for visibility, the right not to have to hide who they/we were/are and a measure of equality way back in the day?

...or maybe I'm just being dense today?

Back on topic...as with Mass., it's not a term I'm familiar with using in the 'gay' 'community' over here in UK. Sadly, it reminds me of a bio bloke who's a bit too full of himself and reckons he's a shit hot lover. I will be very happy to replace this image with a more positive one.

I look forward to seeing what the name/label/title/id/other means in other places and/or cultures.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #39
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakarti [B
Back on topic...as with Mass., it's not a term I'm familiar with using in the 'gay' 'community' over here in UK. Sadly, it reminds me of a bio bloke who's a bit too full of himself and reckons he's a shit hot lover. I will be very happy to replace this image with a more positive one.[/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massive View Post
For me personally, stud just isn't a term I'm familiar with or have ever heard being used here in the UK, so thank you to the OP for broaching the subject, I'm enjoying seeing this being discussed, as far as I'm concerned it's better to ask a question than to make assumptions or remain ignorant.
Actually 'Stud' is used in the UK, but perhaps not as widely as in the US. In the UK 'Stud' is also an ID that is similar to (but not synonymous with) 'Butch' in that it is used mainly by people who fall masculine of centre on the gender identity spectrum and it is primarily used by people of colour (as far as my experience goes).

This film was featured in the LGBT - BFI London film festival this past year.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #40
Scottish MacDaddy

How Do You Identify?:
Sapiosexual/Old School Bull Dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
single

Scottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl_On_Fire View Post
Hello,

Curious femme here. Lately, I've noticed on certain lesbian websites butches are referred to as "studs". This seems to be a generational thing with younger butches especially using the term. I find if off-putting because to me the term "stud" implies some type of breeding stock.

Thoughts on this?

Hi Girl,

Stud can also be defined as the structural part of a wall that eventually holds up the house itself...And isn't that what being butch is about? Strength, tenacity of will and structure....all a part of the foundation of life.

So, next time you hear stud and it offends you to think of it in "breeding stock" terms....think of it in this way...

there are always two sides to every story....just how you look at it that makes the world of difference.

MacDaddy

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
Scottish MacDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Scottish MacDaddy For This Useful Post:

Tags
butch, stud