Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 03-10-2019, 05:45 PM   #221
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,586 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygrrl View Post
now for the good stuff!! Trying to figure out what i am going to do this year for my big project. Any ideas????@@

May I inquire what were some of your past big projects? I am fairly new to the thread and if you've mentioned them previously forgive me.
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2019, 11:27 AM   #222
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
a few laughs

Thanked 21,371 Times in 6,721 Posts
kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up

well..setting up camp in different types of terrain..learning to sharpen a knife properly...how to start a fire without a match or lighter....how to figure out where you are in terrain w/ a compass and without...how to filter water w/o a ready made filter...H..i could go on and on....oh found this very neat skillet that i think would be great for a backpack! What do you think??
Old 03-11-2019, 04:03 PM   #223
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
well..setting up camp in different types of terrain..learning to sharpen a knife properly...how to start a fire without a match or lighter....how to figure out where you are in terrain w/ a compass and without...how to filter water w/o a ready made filter...H..i could go on and on....oh found this very neat skillet that i think would be great for a backpack! What do you think??
Well if it's a cast iron one wouldn't it be a bit heavy to lug?

Of course if it is cast iron it could also double as a weapon should any unwanted elements appear at your campsite!
Old 03-11-2019, 08:32 PM   #224
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
a few laughs

kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
Well if it's a cast iron one wouldn't it be a bit heavy to lug?

Of course if it is cast iron it could also double as a weapon should any unwanted elements appear at your campsite!
H, not sure if it is cast iron..i will check..i think i may have a project to consider when it gets a bit warmer

The Following User Says Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2019, 08:34 PM   #225
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
a few laughs

Thumbs up

This reproduction handforged iron skillet has a 6" diameter bottom and an 8" handle that folds into the pan for easy storage. Weighs about 1.5 lbs. This pan is hammered into shape rather than spun like many of the cheaper and less accurate imported versions. The handle is socketed for adding a longer wood handle. Comes preseasoned. Great for the trail or camp.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:57 AM   #226
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
a few laughs

Thumbs up

fyi..i decided I am going to buy the skillet. It will replace the 6" I carry right now. It's about half the weight, which may not seem like a big difference, but when you have a heavy pack, every ounce counts!!@@
The Following User Says Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 05:20 PM   #227
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
a few laughs

Thumbs up the little iron fry pan that could

Quote:
fyi..i decided I am going to buy the skillet. It will replace the 6" I carry right now. It's about half the weight, which may not seem like a big difference, but when you have a heavy pack, every ounce counts!!@@
think i'm going to love this little pan!@@
Old 03-12-2019, 05:44 PM   #228
charley
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
gentle stonebutch [vanilla]
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 1,204 Times in 422 Posts
charley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputation
Cool Cabin in the woods

I think what is really needed is a little cabin in the woods:

charley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charley For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 06:07 PM   #229
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
think i'm going to love this little pan!@@

Oh Sure and Begorrah PLEASE tell me lassie that's an Irish stew!
Old 03-13-2019, 12:54 AM   #230
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
a few laughs

Quote:
Oh Sure and Begorrah PLEASE tell me lassie that's an Irish stew!

i'm afraid, not anything so grand H..
Old 03-13-2019, 08:46 AM   #231
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Spring is a great time for wild camping, when bright, sunny days of exploration and new adventures beckon! But beware! The nights and early mornings can still be quite fresh! Here's a few tips for staying snugly warm..

Make a hot water bottle using a Sigg water bottle and one of your socks.

Make your sleeping bag hood and or baffles work for you. A lot of heat is lost from your head and shoulders when you sleep, so make sure you do up the hood and baffles well, to prevent further heat loss.

Use your empty backpack as extra insulation from the ground under your lower or upper body. This can also help if the ground is not perfectly flat to level out your sleeping area. If you are still cold, consider putting your feet into your backpack to act like an extra bivvy bag.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:22 PM   #232
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
a few laughs

Thumbs up

Quote:
Spring is a great time for wild camping, when bright, sunny days of exploration and new adventures beckon! But beware! The nights and early mornings can still be quite fresh! Here's a few tips for staying snugly warm..

Make a hot water bottle using a Sigg water bottle and one of your socks.

Make your sleeping bag hood and or baffles work for you. A lot of heat is lost from your head and shoulders when you sleep, so make sure you do up the hood and baffles well, to prevent further heat loss.

Use your empty backpack as extra insulation from the ground under your lower or upper body. This can also help if the ground is not perfectly flat to level out your sleeping area. If you are still cold, consider putting your feet into your backpack to act like an extra bivvy bag.
good ideas H✔..i like pine boughs too!@@
Old 03-13-2019, 06:02 PM   #233
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default Paul Kirtley's Blog.....Getting Up With The Birds.......

Spring is a time of great change, of significant transformation in the landscape. The pace starts off slow, with subtle signs here and there, available to the attentive nature watcher.

The return of migratory species from overwintering in warmer climes, combined with the mating season for birds kicking off in full, gives rise to a spectacular increase in birdsong in the woods and hedgerows in spring. At first it can seem like a cacophony, a chaotic mass of chirping. After listening for a little while, however, your brain begins to tune into particular songs, repeated refrains and identifiable sounds. If you spend a springtime weekend in the woods, you can not only take the opportunity to have an early night, to have a good sleep under your tarp, only to be awoken by the dawn light and the chorus of birdsong which accompanies it.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:17 AM   #234
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
H, not sure if it is cast iron..i will check..i think i may have a project to consider when it gets a bit warmer

IF you decide on this project, please post updated info.....
Old 03-21-2019, 10:31 AM   #235
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
a few laughs

Quote:
IF you decide on this project, please post updated info.....
k...only problem is i don't think i have any logs which are sized for this...hmmmm
Old 03-23-2019, 04:49 PM   #236
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
k...only problem is i don't think i have any logs which are sized for this...hmmmm

If only the USPS rates weren't so high, I'd be happy to send you one from the Olympic National Forest....
Old 03-23-2019, 09:44 PM   #237
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
a few laughs

Quote:
Spring is a time of great change, of significant transformation in the landscape. The pace starts off slow, with subtle signs here and there, available to the attentive nature watcher.

The return of migratory species from overwintering in warmer climes, combined with the mating season for birds kicking off in full, gives rise to a spectacular increase in birdsong in the woods and hedgerows in spring. At first it can seem like a cacophony, a chaotic mass of chirping. After listening for a little while, however, your brain begins to tune into particular songs, repeated refrains and identifiable sounds. If you spend a springtime weekend in the woods, you can not only take the opportunity to have an early night, to have a good sleep under your tarp, only to be awoken by the dawn light and the chorus of birdsong which accompanies it.
O, H...beautifully said
Old 03-26-2019, 12:21 AM   #238
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Birding Tips: On Cold Spring Mornings, Spend Some Time In The Sun

Almost any patch of woods on a crisp spring morning is bound to be bustling with songbirds, and it’s enticing to head straight into the woods to follow the songs. But before you head in, pause and look up. Because on a cold morning, most of the birds are bound to be at the sunlit edges of the woods. Why? Because that’s where the food is first thing in the morning. Insect activity wakes up where the day’s first rays of sun warm things up. And active insects attract our favorite insectivores—warblers, kinglets, vireos, and gnatcatchers.

Many birds depend on finding insects first thing in the morning to refuel after energetically demanding nights spent migrating hundreds of miles. Insects depend on the sun’s warmth to get them out of their lethargic state. Where there are bugs, there are birds. And that’s where you want to be.

So look for the first sunny spots early in the morning, often at habitat edges, where woods meet fields, ponds, or open space. Eastern edges face the rising sun, and so they’re best bets. Edges are also gathering places for species from multiple habitats, giving you a chance to spot birds that live in both woods and fields. If you’re in a shady spot, remember to look up and check the treetops—often they’ll be in the sun well before those warm rays reach you.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:23 AM   #239
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

The information posted above is from ....

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/birdin...me-in-the-sun/
Old 03-26-2019, 08:24 PM   #240
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Birding Tips: On Cold Spring Mornings, Spend Some Time In The Sun

Almost any patch of woods on a crisp spring morning is bound to be bustling with songbirds, and it’s enticing to head straight into the woods to follow the songs. But before you head in, pause and look up. Because on a cold morning, most of the birds are bound to be at the sunlit edges of the woods. Why? Because that’s where the food is first thing in the morning. Insect activity wakes up where the day’s first rays of sun warm things up. And active insects attract our favorite insectivores—warblers, kinglets, vireos, and gnatcatchers.

Many birds depend on finding insects first thing in the morning to refuel after energetically demanding nights spent migrating hundreds of miles. Insects depend on the sun’s warmth to get them out of their lethargic state. Where there are bugs, there are birds. And that’s where you want to be.

So look for the first sunny spots early in the morning, often at habitat edges, where woods meet fields, ponds, or open space. Eastern edges face the rising sun, and so they’re best bets. Edges are also gathering places for species from multiple habitats, giving you a chance to spot birds that live in both woods and fields. If you’re in a shady spot, remember to look up and check the treetops—often they’ll be in the sun well before those warm rays reach you.
I hope birding is part of bushcrafting...