Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture

Old 11-04-2009, 11:39 PM   #1
bonne-maman

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
All right SPA. I am single.

bonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputation
Default Hannah Free, a butch-femme movie!

I went to see Hannah Free this evening, it is an independent film with a storyline that spans the lives of a butch-femme couple. It is quite a lovely movie, and stars Sharon Gless (Chris Cagney!), as the butch. The movie is especially wonderful in that it explores aging and sexuality as well as the obvious lesbian issues. Has anyone else seen it? Thoughts?
bonne-maman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bonne-maman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2009, 11:55 PM   #2
Mel C.
Long-time Member

How Do You Identify?:
WIB - woman identified butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your choice...not really a button for me
Relationship Status:
♡ married 1/1/2019♡

Thanked 6,841 Times in 1,621 Posts
Mel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST Reputation

Sounds great..I will have to add it to my list
Mel C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,132 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonne-maman View Post
I went to see Hannah Free this evening, it is an independent film with a storyline that spans the lives of a butch-femme couple. It is quite a lovely movie, and stars Sharon Gless (Chris Cagney!), as the butch. The movie is especially wonderful in that it explores aging and sexuality as well as the obvious lesbian issues. Has anyone else seen it? Thoughts?
I haven't but I will look for it. Thanks for the heads up!

Edit: Well dang it. Looks like it came to Austin and I missed it. Hope they do it on DVD.
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
Queerasfck

How Do You Identify?:
still ballin'
Relationship Status:
Triple X

Thanked 6,497 Times in 1,639 Posts
Queerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks for the tip Bonn-e-jammers.
Queerasfck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,831 Times in 1,721 Posts
Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation
Default "Confused" asks...

Quote:
Bonne-o-rama, please to explain "obvious lesbian issues."

What are these issues?

Does this involve: Monograms? Fanny pack selection? Which one is "the man?"
Mister Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister Bent For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2009, 07:21 PM   #6
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Thanked 1,617 Times in 633 Posts
Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bent View Post

What are these issues?

Hmmm, No, these sound more like the issues of a homophobe or lesbian-basher....
Cyclopea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cyclopea For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2009, 07:26 PM   #7
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

What are these issues?

i prefer a wax seal or sceau. (it's the preferred choice when you're requesting the head of some unsavory character.)
apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #8
evolveme

How Do You Identify?:
honeysuckle venom
Preferred Pronoun?:
a pistol and a sugar cane
Relationship Status:
I promise to aid and abet

Location: in between poems where ceilings are floors and joe ghost floats achromatic toward day
evolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputation

I would just like it to be known that I am always the man.

Sometimes even, The Man.
evolveme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:52 PM   #9
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation

I could never remember which one was Cagney and which was Lacy.
Guess I never watched that show much.....

Seriously though, I look forward to seeing this film- Lesbian film representations are few and far between...
Old 11-05-2009, 08:46 PM   #10
bonne-maman

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:

bonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputationbonne-maman Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

What are these issues?

Oh, ya know, Mr. Bender, marginalization, invisibility, not allowing lifetime lovers to visit each other right before one of them kicks the bucket. Also included, what happens when your lover marries a man and expects things not to change between you and her, what happens when you abandon her because she married the man and she does, really, feel abandoned, as do her children. And, the little things, like having the courage to kiss in the yard while raking leaves.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bonne-maman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #11
bonne-maman

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
I haven't but I will look for it. Thanks for the heads up!

Edit: Well dang it. Looks like it came to Austin and I missed it. Hope they do it on DVD.
It will be on DVD, and we should buy it as that is going to be the primary way they pay back their investors.....

lesbian movies only get made if someone has a bake sale.....
Old 11-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #12
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,831 Times in 1,721 Posts
Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Oh, ya know, Mr. Bender, marginalization, invisibility, not allowing lifetime lovers to visit each other right before one of them kicks the bucket. Also included, what happens when your lover marries a man and expects things not to change between you and her, what happens when you abandon her because she married the man and she does, really, feel abandoned, as do her children. And, the little things, like having the courage to kiss in the yard while raking leaves.
I made fun, but I really did want to know what you meant (which I think YOU know). Some of those are more than just lesbian issues, they are universal to the queer experience - marginalization, lack of (external) respect for the relationship and kissing while raking leaves. Kissing while having a bake sale is another, of course. Very cutting edge!

(Also, e isn't really the man, but sometimes she is The Man).
Mister Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:17 PM   #13
bonne-maman

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:

Quote:
I made fun, but I really did want to know what you meant (which I think YOU know). Some of those are more than just lesbian issues, they are universal to the queer experience - marginalization, lack of (external) respect for the relationship and kissing while raking leaves. Kissing while having a bake sale is another, of course. Very cutting edge!

(Also, e isn't really the man, but sometimes she is The Man).
Of course I knew that you were joshing, Mr. Eureka Tent. Yes those things are universal to being queer. Can I think of anything completely specific to being lesbian in the movie????? thinking cap, thinking cap. Well, maybe not in these "modern" times (now I am sounding old), but the part about children being brought along for the ride as lesbian relationships rode the waves of heterosexual marriage interruptions has been primarily a lesbian phenomenon, as opposed to a broader queer experience. Women have historically had custody of kids as het marriages broke apart, though I KNOW that is changing. This movie was set in the 1990's, and the two lovers were very aged in the "current" scenes of the movie. Their "young" scenes went back to their childhoods and young adulthoods, and middle-agedhoods.

e da man. yes e is.

And speaking of kissing, I was dutiful and did a bit of it while at the movie. There were no leaves to rake, I had to make do.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:15 PM   #14
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
It will be on DVD, and we should buy it as that is going to be the primary way they pay back their investors.....

lesbian movies only get made if someone has a bake sale.....
Sometimes, I'd rather just have the bake sale...thinking back to "Claire of the Moon"--shudder.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:42 PM   #15
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Default oh no you di'int!

Quote:
Sometimes, I'd rather just have the bake sale...thinking back to "Claire of the Moon"--shudder.
Oh dear god. I actually dragged my ass into the theatre to see that one. We wanted to cover our faces as we left.
"Claire of the Moon" is the "Patch Adams", "Ishtar", "Showgirls" of Lesbian cinema.
I'm still cringing.
But someday they will watch it at midnight showings and dress up and throw toast at the screen.
OK maybe not. If it had been a musical perhaps...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cyclopea For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2009, 11:50 PM   #16
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclopea View Post
Oh dear god. I actually dragged my ass into the theatre to see that one. We wanted to cover our faces as we left.
"Claire of the Moon" is the "Patch Adams", "Ishtar", "Showgirls" of Lesbian cinema.
I'm still cringing.
But someday they will watch it at midnight showings and dress up and throw toast at the screen.
OK maybe not. If it had been a musical perhaps...
I remember it clearly. I was in Lansing, MI. A HUGE group of us went. As we left, one of us stood in the aisle intently watching the credits.

We, not wanting to disturb her, asked her partner, "What's Max doing?"

Her partner rolled her eyes. "She's waiting for one redeeming quality."

We actually thought that we should picket the theater to prevent people from wasting their time and money.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2009, 11:53 PM   #17
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Quote:
I remember it clearly. I was in Lansing, MI. A HUGE group of us went. As we left, one of us stood in the aisle intently watching the credits.

We, not wanting to disturb her, asked her partner, "What's Max doing?"

Her partner rolled her eyes. "She's waiting for one redeeming quality."

We actually thought that we should picket the theater to prevent people from wasting their time and money.
Hahahaha That is hilarious!
God bless us all though for trying. Always looking for some good lez cinema.
*sigh*
Old 02-14-2010, 09:51 PM   #18
Rook

How Do You Identify?:
A.G - Stone Butch - GenderFuck
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hym, Hyz...or, just b respectable, it's not that hard..

Thanked 3,183 Times in 1,287 Posts
Rook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST Reputation

Bumpety Bump
Old 02-14-2010, 10:26 PM   #19
Outlaw

How Do You Identify?:
Cocksure
Preferred Pronoun?:
Cotton Candy Swami
Relationship Status:
Loved and Loving

Outlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclopea View Post
Always looking for some good lez cinema.
*sigh*
Ah, yes...that was Welcome Home, Roxy Carmichael, complete with " lesbian-issue sub-plot "
Old 02-14-2010, 10:58 PM   #20
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

I dunno................I think Salmonberries with KD Lang runs a close second or even beats Claire.....
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post: