Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 08-09-2020, 07:23 PM   #561
GeorgiaMa'am
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ma'am
Relationship Status:
widowed - involved, poly

14 Highscores

Thanked 27,125 Times in 5,118 Posts
GeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

The number of COVID-19 cases in the U.S. is over 5 million. Only two weeks ago, it was 4 million. This is "over six times the worldwide average" (BBC World News).

Who cares what T***p says about it? Everything that comes out of his mouth is a lie, anyway.

It's been so lonely without you here
Like a bird without a song
Nothing can stop these lonely tears from falling . . .
'Cause nothing compares, nothing compares 2 U

- Prince
GeorgiaMa'am is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeorgiaMa'am For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 05:02 AM   #562
cathexis

How Do You Identify?:
Trotskyist, Anarcho-syndicalist
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, Them, Their, Sir Bitch
Relationship Status:
open

Thanked 4,710 Times in 1,603 Posts
cathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalipstic View Post
Anxiety over the economic impact. Then I watched a few chapters of Pandemic. Now I am an anxious mess.
Being a germophobic ICU nurse, that film had me nearly terrified the first time I saw it (I think it was in 1999). The one that piqued my germphobia was not Pandemic or Epidemic BUT Contagion. Those errors could totally happen realistically. They had done their homework with excellent medical references. Most medical movies I watch saying yeah...right...never gonna happen like that. Many scenes actually had me shaking and yelling at the TV...no...no...don't touch this or that item.

These days I shudder about many things people do and touch. It makes me want to put blue nitrile gloves on before interacting with people. Many people and nearly all children do horribly nasty, germy things without any forethought. I am ecstatic that our nations top doctors are forcing people to wear masks. Now it doesn't look so out of place when I wear gloves or refuse to touch anyone that appears to be unclean or ill in anyway.

My heroes are our Surgeon General and Dr. Fauci. Especially Dr. Fauci. Trump hates him so much, but can't fire him as he is so irreplaceable.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:27 PM   #563
~ocean
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme *blows a kiss off my finger tips **
Preferred Pronoun?:
~ hey girl ~
Relationship Status:
~ single & content ~

Thanked 16,124 Times in 4,736 Posts
~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation
Default ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathexis View Post
Being a germophobic ICU nurse, that film had me nearly terrified the first time I saw it (I think it was in 1999). The one that piqued my germphobia was not Pandemic or Epidemic BUT Contagion. Those errors could totally happen realistically. They had done their homework with excellent medical references. Most medical movies I watch saying yeah...right...never gonna happen like that. Many scenes actually had me shaking and yelling at the TV...no...no...don't touch this or that item.

These days I shudder about many things people do and touch. It makes me want to put blue nitrile gloves on before interacting with people. Many people and nearly all children do horribly nasty, germy things without any forethought. I am ecstatic that our nations top doctors are forcing people to wear masks. Now it doesn't look so out of place when I wear gloves or refuse to touch anyone that appears to be unclean or ill in anyway.

My heroes are our Surgeon General and Dr. Fauci. Especially Dr. Fauci. Trump hates him so much, but can't fire him as he is so irreplaceable.

excellent post ~
Old 08-10-2020, 02:45 PM   #564
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Thanked 10,619 Times in 2,489 Posts
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
People with gloves scare me. I'm not convinced they get it. Once you put on gloves they will shortly become as dirty as your hands. I have always hated seeing people with gloves. I am terrified imagining the things they have touched with those gloved hands. And gloved people often act as though those gloves somehow keep their hands sanitary. When just the opposite is the reality. Some stores here in my neighborhood won't let you come in to the store with gloves only masks. Weird but true. At least with this particular virus, it doesn't matter as far as gloves or people touching stuff, unless you touch your face with the virus they have on their gloves or with the virus they just deposited with their gloves or hands on some object that you touched and then touched your face. Just DON'T TOUCH YOUR FACE. Viruses can't jump into your mouth or up your nose or into your eyes. You need to give them a ride. Just don't touch your face. However, droplets, aerosols, airborne or not are problematic, but wear a mask and keep your distance. Wash your hands. Don't touch your face. This is what I say to myself while I am out and about. It's easy to get complacent.
Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 03:20 PM   #565
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

I forgot to add, if you wear gloves remember don't touch your face with your gloved hands.

Masks make me touch my face more than I would like because they slip all around. That is a problem I haven't figured out yet. I keep saying don't touch your face to myself, but when the mask blocks my eyes I don't have a choice. I can't see. I don't know if it's just me but I have a hell of a time with masks slipping around. My wife complains about it too so probably not just me.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 04:21 PM   #566
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached to my boyfriend and future husband.

Thanked 31,991 Times in 9,939 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

That wearing gloves thing? I cant wear latex or nitrile gloves. Allergic to latex, nitrile gloves harbor sweat on your hands which translated into contact dermatitis (for me). Took me two months to get that cleared up. Instead, for gloves, i use breathable gloves made by Winchester Protective Gear. Now my hands can breathe, plus i have enough gloves on hand so that i can wear a fresh pair daily, then wash them with laundry each weekend.

I also bought goggles, to wear over my prescription glasses, so no more foggy lenses to deal with.

But, gosh. Surface contamination and cross-contamination issues definitely gets the attention it deserves now, thanks to Covid19 and its huge concerning issues.

I clean my keys, steering wheel, and just about any surface that is a likely or unlikely point of contact.

Hand washing, keep your eyes protected, stop touching your face and gosh, clean clean clean.

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 07:34 PM   #567
Vincent

How Do You Identify?:
Transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
Him,he
Relationship Status:
just me

Vincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST Reputation

After all the boasting about how well Australia was doing was all lies.
All the cases in March were Australians coming home from Over seas,something that was totally over looked by the media.
We are not in a second wave at all, now have unknown community transmission,thats all.

Aust has the most concentrated media in the first world

Covid is now devastating Victoria,but now is happening in my State NSW.

Our happy clapper PM,thinks Trump is a genious.....................need I say more........no I didn't think so.

We could have been NZ,but no dumbo is following Trump,coz he has been such a sucess.

Don't believe the lies about Australia

TBH,I got sucked in to,not understanding the difference,unkown community transmission has on the spread of the disease.
If Not Now-When
If Not Here-Where
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vincent For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 10:14 PM   #568
~ocean
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme *blows a kiss off my finger tips **
Preferred Pronoun?:
~ hey girl ~
Relationship Status:
~ single & content ~

Thanked 16,124 Times in 4,736 Posts
~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation
Default ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
After all the boasting about how well Australia was doing was all lies.
All the cases in March were Australians coming home from Over seas,something that was totally over looked by the media.
We are not in a second wave at all, now have unknown community transmission,thats all.

Aust has the most concentrated media in the first world

Covid is now devastating Victoria,but now is happening in my State NSW.

Our happy clapper PM,thinks Trump is a genious.....................need I say more........no I didn't think so.

We could have been NZ,but no dumbo is following Trump,coz he has been such a sucess.

Don't believe the lies about Australia

TBH,I got sucked in to,not understanding the difference,unkown community transmission has on the spread of the disease.
(((( vincent )))) sorry there is so much covid around you, anyone who listens to TRUMP and his insanity is an idiot. stay safe ~ mask whenever u leave your home , the distance this virus travels in the air is far more of a distance than originally thought ~ every day there are new understandings about this beast of a virus. 6 feet no longer a acceptable distance. I don't know what you can link into but from the CDC here in the US Dr. Fauci is the best informative scientist we have . there are many but he is the one I personally recommend. TC & stay safe ~
Old 08-11-2020, 04:11 AM   #569
cathexis

How Do You Identify?:
Trotskyist, Anarcho-syndicalist
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, Them, Their, Sir Bitch
Relationship Status:
open

Thanked 4,710 Times in 1,603 Posts
cathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
People with gloves scare me. I'm not convinced they get it. Once you put on gloves they will shortly become as dirty as your hands. I have always hated seeing people with gloves. I am terrified imagining the things they have touched with those gloved hands. And gloved people often act as though those gloves somehow keep their hands sanitary. When just the opposite is the reality. Some stores here in my neighborhood won't let you come in to the store with gloves only masks. Weird but true. At least with this particular virus, it doesn't matter as far as gloves or people touching stuff, unless you touch your face with the virus they have on their gloves or with the virus they just deposited with their gloves or hands on some object that you touched and then touched your face. Just DON'T TOUCH YOUR FACE. Viruses can't jump into your mouth or up your nose or into your eyes. You need to give them a ride. Just don't touch your face. However, droplets, aerosols, airborne or not are problematic, but wear a mask and keep your distance. Wash your hands. Don't touch your face. This is what I say to myself while I am out and about. It's easy to get complacent.
Fear of people with gloves on is reasonable. I would recoil from a person who walked up trying to touch me nor would I go around touching random patients, but the one being touched does not know that. The only acts a worker can perform in my room with already donned gloves would involve possibly contaminated items. What I would wear the gloves for include door handles, faucet handles, elevator buttons, trash, bodily fluids and the like. I would not touch my face with a gloved hand (30 years as a Critical Care RN).
Gloves would be changed frequently with brisk hand washing. It's difficult to maintain, but know I can last 16 hours in isolation, and rarely away from home base that long recalling the days of private duty of HIV before anyone knew what it was and what precautions to take. I consider everything in home base somewhere on the clean end of my clean/contaminated scale.
Indeed aerosol, droplet contamination is a problem. The sclera is exposed unless one also has a face shield on. Pretty soon we will have people walking around gowned for full isolation. I want my shoe covers and hat too.lol We had better get a vaccine or herd immunity soon.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:04 AM   #570
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,586 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

President Donald Trump got history wrong on multiple counts Monday when he claimed that the “1917” Spanish flu pandemic likely led to the end of World War II ― which began more than two decades later.

“The closest thing is in 1917, they say, the great pandemic. It certainly was a terrible thing where they lost anywhere from 50 to 100 million people,” Trump said during his White House press briefing. “Probably ended the Second World War, all the soldiers were sick.”

Leading up to that comment, Trump had been praising his administration’s response to the coronavirus pandemic that has killed more than 160,000 people in the U.S., claiming without evidence that without his ban on foreign travelers, millions more would be dead.

Trump has incorrectly referred to the year of the 1918 pandemic dozens of times, even though his own grandfather Frederick Trump died of it in New York City in 1918.
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 09:59 AM   #571
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Quote:
Fear of people with gloves on is reasonable. I would recoil from a person who walked up trying to touch me nor would I go around touching random patients, but the one being touched does not know that. The only acts a worker can perform in my room with already donned gloves would involve possibly contaminated items. What I would wear the gloves for include door handles, faucet handles, elevator buttons, trash, bodily fluids and the like. I would not touch my face with a gloved hand (30 years as a Critical Care RN).
Gloves would be changed frequently with brisk hand washing. It's difficult to maintain, but know I can last 16 hours in isolation, and rarely away from home base that long recalling the days of private duty of HIV before anyone knew what it was and what precautions to take. I consider everything in home base somewhere on the clean end of my clean/contaminated scale.
Indeed aerosol, droplet contamination is a problem. The sclera is exposed unless one also has a face shield on. Pretty soon we will have people walking around gowned for full isolation. I want my shoe covers and hat too.lol We had better get a vaccine or herd immunity soon.
I am not concerned with health care professionals wearing gloves, but the average person makes me nervous. I worry they will think gloves are a substitute for washing their hands and it concerns me how often people might try to reuse them or just wear the same pair all day. Masks are necessary for everyone for sure even though they pose possibilities for misuse and contamination and one should educate oneself on mask safety. But I don't think gloves, outside of healthcare and food service,are really necessary for the average person under usual circumstances. It just adds another element that can go wrong to an already complicated situation. If you can't wash your hands for some reason and have a few pairs it's certainly helpful. I just see so much potential for misuse and cross contamination for the average person with gloves. I think masks are risky enough, but necessary.

Ya, the sclera is a problem with aerosol contamination but I imagine it would take a direct hit from a cough or a sneeze to send enough of a viral load into your eyes and it probably would get through a mask as well unless it's an N-95. Hopefully there is only short-range aerosol transmission mostly in crowded, poorly ventilated spaces. Hopefully droplets don't hang in the air long enough either. But who knows.This virus might be more contagious than first believed.If you cannot maintain a safe distance and have to be indoors with people outside of your bubble I suppose a face shield over a mask is the best course of action. However, I find it hard to breath like that. But I would find it harder to breath on a ventilator I'm sure. I guess I'm hoping that just a mask will do the trick. But maybe just a shield is better than just a mask for the average person doing average daily activities. Masks often move around and require adjusting and therefore put you at risk of contamination. Shields don't do that. But I have masks so...

LOL. shoe covers, hat, gown yep. I'm kidding but who knows what the future holds, this virus is a tad on the wimpy side and yet pretty much brought the world to its knees, god help us if the next one is both deadly and airborne with a robust protein shell making it hard to kill.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 12:01 PM   #572
clementinefemme

How Do You Identify?:
femme

clementinefemme Has the BEST Reputationclementinefemme Has the BEST Reputationclementinefemme Has the BEST Reputationclementinefemme Has the BEST Reputationclementinefemme Has the BEST Reputationclementinefemme Has the BEST Reputationclementinefemme Has the BEST Reputationclementinefemme Has the BEST Reputationclementinefemme Has the BEST Reputationclementinefemme Has the BEST Reputationclementinefemme Has the BEST Reputation

Yayyy my mom's COVID test came back negative.
clementinefemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to clementinefemme For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 01:30 PM   #573
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch (Silver Fox) Dom Daddi
Preferred Pronoun?:
50 Shades of Clay Darker & Deeper
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Thanked 31,683 Times in 7,714 Posts
clay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post

Ya, the sclera is a problem with aerosol contamination but I imagine it would take a direct hit from a cough or a sneeze to send enough of a viral load into your eyes and it probably would get through a mask as well unless it's an N-95. Hopefully there is only short-range aerosol transmission mostly in crowded, poorly ventilated spaces. Hopefully droplets don't hang in the air [B]long enough either. [/B]But who knows.This virus might be more contagious than first believed.If you cannot maintain a safe distance and have to be indoors with people outside of your bubble I suppose a face shield over a mask is the best course of action. However, I find it hard to breath like that. But I would find it harder to breath on a ventilator I'm sure. I guess I'm hoping that just a mask will do the trick. But maybe just a shield is better than just a mask for the average person doing average daily activities. Masks often move around and require adjusting and therefore put you at risk of contamination. Shields don't do that. But I have masks so.

<snipped your conversation except above..

Droplets can/DO hang in air & on the floor for up to 8 hrs. A person in say aisle 1 sneezes OR coughs, and is maskless..those droplets (called "goblet cells") are dispersed 27 feet outward....Another person comes down that aisle, isn't wearing a mask, or if wearing one, incorrectly, or wrong kind, will inhale a small percentage of those same goblet cells, PLUS will have them on their clothing, and the soles of their shoes. Once home, touch the soles to removes their shoes, later touches their face, voila....

Also, wearing gloves has potential to cross contaminate everything they touch....fruits, vegetables, everything...face, steering wheel, keys, phones. etc. It is not really wise to wear those in public, as general population does not know how to do so correctly nor have access to many gloves to change each time an item is touched.

Face Shields are NOT a good protectant. Sides are open, much more access for contaminants to get onto your person. Really good quality facemasks are the ticket, IF worn correctly, cleaned often, & worn to cover one's mouth AND nose...:0

I have 2 N95 masks, about a dozen of really thick, COTTON cloth ones, and several others. I wear each once, then it gets washed & air dried! Most of mine has the wire on bridge of nose to properly seal it onto my face.

Speaking from my nursing background, & I am sure my friend, cathexis, will also validate what I say.....

Just some FYI....carry on
Old 08-11-2020, 02:19 PM   #574
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Thoughts...

On a different subject: kids contracting Covid19.

I think its a mistake for childen to go back to school or even return to childcare settings.

With data culled from as recently as two weeks ago, *any* population in group exposure is like a ticking time bomb.

And, I hope sports is quashed for the time being too.

_____ ______
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 03:24 PM   #575
GeorgiaMa'am
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ma'am
Relationship Status:
widowed - involved, poly

14 Highscores

Thanked 27,125 Times in 5,118 Posts
GeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
. . . I hope sports is quashed for the time being too.
Yeah, I will miss my baseball, but I don't think we're going to make it to the end of the (very short) season. Players keep getting sick. They're supposed to stay in isolation in their hotels, but we're talking about guys who are mostly in their early 20s. I remember my early 20s - I don't think anybody could have convinced me to stay locked up in a hotel room if I was in a big city like Miami or New York for the first time. They are supposed to have security in the lobbies of the hotels, but you and I know that there are many ways in and out of hotels.

The MLB team owners made a major mistake when they decided to try to continue to have games at all the stadiums. This means the players (and coaches, and support staff and literally hundreds of other people) have to travel back and forth and try to maintain distance and wear PPE, etc. during changing hotels, on vehicles, and probably going to their individual homes if they're in their home city.

The NBA made a better decision when they decided to put all the players and necessary people in a "bubble". All games are played in a sports complex (in Florida, at WDW) and people stay in the same hotels throughout. No one goes in or out of the bubble without extenuating circumstances and the proper precautions. We'll see how that plays out.

It's been so lonely without you here
Like a bird without a song
Nothing can stop these lonely tears from falling . . .
'Cause nothing compares, nothing compares 2 U

- Prince
GeorgiaMa'am is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GeorgiaMa'am For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 04:36 PM   #576
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

~~

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 04:42 PM   #577
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default Along the same lines but regarding footfall..

There is absolutely no way football can or should be played during this pandemic!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 05:24 PM   #578
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default Trump Attacks Protesting Athletes, Pushes For Football Despite Coronavirus Concerns...

President Donald Trump on Tuesday continued his years long attack on athletes who kneel during the national anthem to protest racial inequality and police brutality. He urged NFL and college football leagues to play this year despite coronavirus concerns ― so long as players stand for the national anthem.

Asked whether he believes the NFL will move forward with its scheduled season opener next month, Trump told Fox Sports Radio that his administration is doing “everything possible” to help the league.

Trump also said it would be a “tragic mistake” for college football leagues to cancel their season because of the pandemic. Several conferences, including the Big Ten and Pac-12, have reportedly voted not to play this year. On Tuesday, the University of Massachusetts joined the University of Connecticut in canceling its football season.

“They’re very healthy people,” Trump said of college football players. “You know, people don’t realize, it’s a tiny percentage of people that get sick and they’re old. It just attacks old people, especially old people with bad hearts, diabetes or some kind of a physical problem, a weight problem.”

He continued: “These football players are very young, strong people physically. I mean they’re physically in extraordinary shape. So you’re not going to have a problem. ... You’re not going to see people dying.”

While it’s true that people 65 and older are much more likely to be hospitalized or die after contracting the virus than younger people, COVID-19 has proven to be serious and sometimes fatal in some young, healthy people. Several prominent college football players have contracted the virus. Louisiana State University linebacker Travez Moore tweeted last week that he had lost 27 pounds during his battle with COVID-19.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump...b6fc009a5d9538
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 07:25 PM   #579
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay View Post
Droplets can/DO hang in air & on the floor for up to 8 hrs. A person in say aisle 1 sneezes OR coughs, and is maskless..those droplets (called "goblet cells") are dispersed 27 feet outward
27 feet outward hang in air up to 8 hrs. Wow. Elevators are pretty much a death trap then. And I live on the 9th floor of a high rise. Oh well. If you think about it, it's pretty amazing that even more people don't get this virus just walking through the grocery store. As it gets colder more people will be doing more social stuff indoors. Scary.

Winter is coming.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 08:13 PM   #580
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaMa'am View Post
Yeah, I will miss my baseball, but I don't think we're going to make it to the end of the (very short) season. Players keep getting sick. They're supposed to stay in isolation in their hotels, but we're talking about guys who are mostly in their early 20s. I remember my early 20s - I don't think anybody could have convinced me to stay locked up in a hotel room if I was in a big city like Miami or New York for the first time. They are supposed to have security in the lobbies of the hotels, but you and I know that there are many ways in and out of hotels.

The MLB team owners made a major mistake when they decided to try to continue to have games at all the stadiums. This means the players (and coaches, and support staff and literally hundreds of other people) have to travel back and forth and try to maintain distance and wear PPE, etc. during changing hotels, on vehicles, and probably going to their individual homes if they're in their home city.

The NBA made a better decision when they decided to put all the players and necessary people in a "bubble". All games are played in a sports complex (in Florida, at WDW) and people stay in the same hotels throughout. No one goes in or out of the bubble without extenuating circumstances and the proper precautions. We'll see how that plays out.
I am no infectious desease expert, but I am not "sold" on the 'bubble' experiment.

Here's why I tend to not trust that model of choice:

I already know of about 2 or three 'bubble' situations and those in that 'bubble' were still at risk of exposure and ended up having to quarantine. Not sure if those who quarantined actually caught Covid19, but to me? It is too big of a risk.

I know if I were in a 'bubble' type situation, it seems to me that there is a bigger risk of catching it because I dont think one can control the odds of becoming infected

But that is just thoughts I have concerning 'bubble' types of situations. There is a lot that is still unknown about how people are becoming exposed to people who are contagious yet don't know they are.

I worry each day I am at work that I will be accidentally exposed to Covid19. Worse, I have the same worry about where I live. I wear my mask and hybrid hazmat gear to and from my home. I bag up clothes and such each day, until the weekend when I go to the washertia to do my weekly laundry. It is costly because our studio units do not have room for laundry appliances, not even mini versions. But i have a strict method I adhere to, to keep my home free from outside contaminates. I feel it is prudent to go to great length to make sure I have taken every feasible precaution to make sure I safeguard my health.

I feel lucky that I can do that, and I realise the priviledge granted to me that makes it possible to even do that.

I am grateful tonight that I am safe, so far. But I realise that exposure to Covid19 is not 100% in my favor, or anybody's favor.

We, the general we, know this because of a vast accounting from others who we have learned about who did contract it and did not know how they were infected.

Which is scary. The danger is very real, and should not be discounted for reasons that the science and infectious disease community cannot even nail down yet.

But this is how I think about it and why I exercise as much caution as I can. While I can. Because if somebody here at home is infected or someone at work is infected, it jeopardises everyone's safety and wellness, including my own self, and if I were exposed and became infected, most likely I would die.

My health is fragile, so I have to be super careful in all I do. I am not swimming in money. If I were, I might could stay home for a couple years and ride it out. But I am not.

Anyhoooo. I take each day as it comes and live as responsibly as I can.

Stay safe and stay as well as you can.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Georgia.

~K.

_____ ______

Last edited by Kätzchen; 08-11-2020 at 08:16 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post: