daisygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
mouthy but adorable; kinky Gerbera
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey, cutie (or dudette)
Relationship Status:
xoxo

1 Highscore

daisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputation
Smile Whatcha Reading?

Us bibliophiles want to know: what are you reading, plan to read, or didn't enjoy reading?

Here's a place to gab about literature (all kinds), share reading lists, and reviews.

Looking forward to your posts!

Hold on to the lessons, let go of the pain.
--Leslie Feinberg
daisygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to daisygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,384 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

I just finished Profiles in Folly, History's Worst Decisions and Why They Went Wrong by Alan Axelrod

I love history, so I enjoyed it. A light look at a bunch of big messes.

I am off to the library this weekend to find something new.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:
love wise guys of the avian world

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,301 Posts
violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation
Smile thank you ;)

how did i get here - chapter 1

".. i'm sure i was sociable. days were nearly always spent kicking balls, exploring the woods, digging in soil, and sometimes eating it, roaming the hills and in each other's houses..." - keith

i am reading asperger syndrome- a love story, written by sarah hendricks and keith newton. the couple explain who they are as individuals, chronicle their meeting and first ill-fated relationship, followed by a painful but vital period of separation and learning to the final destination of a new, different, more satisfactory relationship together. personal accounts - embracing [humourously a lot of the time] neurodiversity!

i'm also still reading jayber crow, a novel by wendell berry. [his work with farm alliance is amazing, by the way]. this book is poetic, philosophical, and the community members/town is imagined- richly so!

i hope you are doing well, daisy - whatcha readin' ?

belle
ox

violaine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2009, 11:34 AM   #4
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:
spiritually minded dirt dog

Thanked 2,593 Times in 663 Posts
foxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputation

Currently I am reading:

Alchemical Psychology, Old recipes for living in a new world by Thom Cavalli;

The Fisher king and the Handless Maiden; understanding The wounded feeling Function in the Masculine and Feminine in Psychology; by Robert Johnson

And I am currently researching Nyx, The Goddess Night. I am preparing to tell a story to my drumming circle. We are honoring the darkness and I thought what a great way to share what the darkness has 'birthed' for us through mythology. She is an amalgamation of other creation myths so old that the only places she is still present is in the oldest of the old written myths.

Flying my geek colors....

Muriel Strode
foxyshaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to foxyshaman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
Selenay

How Do You Identify?:
A soul for a compass and a heart for a pair of wings.
Preferred Pronoun?:
All I ask of living is to have no chains on me.
Relationship Status:
All I own are the strides I spend to the finish line.

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,450 Times in 370 Posts
Selenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST Reputation

Aloud
Voices From the Nuyorican Poets Cafe

Excerpt:

IN RESPONSE TO A BROTHER’S QUESTION ABOUT WHAT HE SHOULD DO WHEN HIS BEST FRIEND BEATS UP A WOMAN

. . . and push out the violence be unafraid to be a man who confronts men
about women be unafraid to be a man
who confronts men
big mean ass nasty men
be unafraid to be a man
who confronts
himself.

-Asha Bandele
Selenay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Selenay For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
daisygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey, cutie (or dudette)
Relationship Status:
xoxo

1 Highscore

daisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
I just finished Profiles in Folly, History's Worst Decisions and Why They Went Wrong by Alan Axelrod

I love history, so I enjoyed it. A light look at a bunch of big messes.

I am off to the library this weekend to find something new.
That sounds like a really cool history-related book that I could 'get into'!

I love libraries--just wandering down the aisles is fun for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by violaine View Post
how did i get here - chapter 1

".. i'm sure i was sociable. days were nearly always spent kicking balls, exploring the woods, digging in soil, and sometimes eating it, roaming the hills and in each other's houses..." - keith

i am reading asperger syndrome- a love story, written by sarah hendricks and keith newton. the couple explain who they are as individuals, chronicle their meeting and first ill-fated relationship, followed by a painful but vital period of separation and learning to the final destination of a new, different, more satisfactory relationship together. personal accounts - embracing [humourously a lot of the time] neurodiversity!

i'm also still reading jayber crow, a novel by wendell berry. [his work with farm alliance is amazing, by the way]. this book is poetic, philosophical, and the community members/town is imagined- richly so!

i hope you are doing well, daisy - whatcha readin' ?

belle
ox

The love story sounds really interesting to me--I'm gonna have to put that on my reading list!

Hugs to you, Ms. Belle! I'm reading...well...pieces of my dissertation for editing at the moment--but I can't wait until I have leisure time to read for fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshaman View Post
Currently I am reading:

Alchemical Psychology, Old recipes for living in a new world by Thom Cavalli;

The Fisher king and the Handless Maiden; understanding The wounded feeling Function in the Masculine and Feminine in Psychology; by Robert Johnson

And I am currently researching Nyx, The Goddess Night. I am preparing to tell a story to my drumming circle. We are honoring the darkness and I thought what a great way to share what the darkness has 'birthed' for us through mythology. She is an amalgamation of other creation myths so old that the only places she is still present is in the oldest of the old written myths.

Flying my geek colors....
I love love love mythology--your drumming circle is sure to be inspiring!

Geek colors--cool beans! We should have T-shirts--and our own flag!

Thanks everyone, for sharing your love for books

--Leslie Feinberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daisygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2009, 11:50 AM   #7
daisygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey, cutie (or dudette)
Relationship Status:
xoxo

1 Highscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selenay View Post
Aloud
Voices From the Nuyorican Poets Cafe

Excerpt:

IN RESPONSE TO A BROTHER’S QUESTION ABOUT WHAT HE SHOULD DO WHEN HIS BEST FRIEND BEATS UP A WOMAN

. . . and push out the violence be unafraid to be a man who confronts men
about women be unafraid to be a man
who confronts men
big mean ass nasty men
be unafraid to be a man
who confronts
himself.

-Asha Bandele
That sounds like a really powerful collection, Selly!

--Leslie Feinberg
Old 12-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,744 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Let's see.. I have a few books on the go:

Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker (planning on learning this so I can make some gifts next year rather than buy -- including, perhaps, a his and hers Fisherman's Sweaters)

A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose (a lot of it seems interestingly and odd Buddhist)

Blown for Good: Behind the Iron Curtain of Scientology (interesting book by one of the former Sea Org members about what Scientology was really like and how he escaped it after a lifetime in it --- over 15 years IIRC).

Windows 7: The Definitive Guide (gotta get brushed up on that because it's related to a course I teach)

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2009, 11:57 AM   #9
daisygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey, cutie (or dudette)
Relationship Status:
xoxo

1 Highscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Let's see.. I have a few books on the go:

Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker (planning on learning this so I can make some gifts next year rather than buy -- including, perhaps, a his and hers Fisherman's Sweaters)

A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose (a lot of it seems interestingly and odd Buddhist)

Blown for Good: Behind the Iron Curtain of Scientology (interesting book by one of the former Sea Org members about what Scientology was really like and how he escaped it after a lifetime in it --- over 15 years IIRC).

Windows 7: The Definitive Guide (gotta get brushed up on that because it's related to a course I teach)
I gotta say that I love the title for that first book!

The book from the former Scientology member sounds intriguing. I've heard Kate Bornstein () talk about her experiences in the group--but those are really the only first-hand accounts that I've encountered.

--Leslie Feinberg
Old 12-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #10
kassykit

How Do You Identify?:
Just me
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her,
Relationship Status:
Single

kassykit Has the BEST Reputationkassykit Has the BEST Reputationkassykit Has the BEST Reputationkassykit Has the BEST Reputationkassykit Has the BEST Reputationkassykit Has the BEST Reputationkassykit Has the BEST Reputationkassykit Has the BEST Reputationkassykit Has the BEST Reputationkassykit Has the BEST Reputationkassykit Has the BEST Reputation

Lets see for school i'm reading

Builidng Java Programs a back to basics approach by Stuart Reges and Marty Stepp

Visual C# 2008 hot to program by Deitel and Deitel

Oracle 10g SQL - Joan Casteel

Also my stats book which i cant recall the name of right at the momment, it's a online book through Aplia.

For fun it varies by day, but almost anything mercedes Lackey, or elizabeth moon will get me going

=Love shared is love doubled.... pain shared is pain cut in half..........share your life with me, and i'll share mine with you...
kassykit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kassykit For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #11
Dean Thoreau

How Do You Identify?:
Ftm - Male- exfemale
Preferred Pronoun?:
He’s Him
Relationship Status:
Has a gf

Dean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST Reputation

for light reading this week I read...............
Sari Shop Window..by Bantwal great read, good novel....
The Eliminationists by David Neiwert....(quasi political)
The Dangerous World of Butterlies ***** i recommend
The End of Overeating by David Kessler..excellent
Super Freakonomics....fun
Cheap by Ellen rupel Shell.... not bad but she is really out of touch with the world.

not sure what i will read tonigh

dean
Old 12-04-2009, 03:35 PM   #12
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,384 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Thoreau View Post
for light reading this week I read...............
Sari Shop Window..by Bantwal great read, good novel....
The Eliminationists by David Neiwert....(quasi political)
The Dangerous World of Butterlies ***** i recommend
The End of Overeating by David Kessler..excellent
Super Freakonomics....fun
Cheap by Ellen rupel Shell.... not bad but she is really out of touch with the world.

not sure what i will read tonigh

dean

I really enjoy the Freakonomics books, fun indeed!
Old 12-04-2009, 04:13 PM   #13
Rufusboi

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Partnered

Rufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST Reputation

Original Sin by PD James.
Rufusboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rufusboi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2009, 05:57 PM   #14
Inuus

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
Single Not Looking

Inuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST Reputation

Soul Of A Dog by Jon Katz
Most recent book in a series about his life in upstate NY on his farm. Ive read a few in the series and really like them. Quick read, great stories and antics about his animals. Light reading would recommend it
Old 12-04-2009, 06:07 PM   #15
daisygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey, cutie (or dudette)
Relationship Status:
xoxo

1 Highscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuus View Post
Soul Of A Dog by Jon Katz
Most recent book in a series about his life in upstate NY on his farm. Ive read a few in the series and really like them. Quick read, great stories and antics about his animals. Light reading would recommend it
That sounds like a great book! You may also enjoy When Elephants Weep: The Emotional Lives of Animals by Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson and Susan McCarthy

Kassy, Dean, & Rufus--those are great lists! I looked at reviews on them and put several on my reading list!

--Leslie Feinberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daisygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2009, 06:22 PM   #16
Dean Thoreau

How Do You Identify?:
Ftm - Male- exfemale
Preferred Pronoun?:
He’s Him
Relationship Status:
Has a gf

Dean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
I really enjoy the Freakonomics books, fun indeed!
it is also one of the few economic books my kids will read and enjoy as well...
i have a tendency to quote form them frequently when talking with my elementary students they make economic principles and concepts easy to understand....
tho my favorite book to quote from at school is "Lies my teacher taught me"
Old 12-04-2009, 07:19 PM   #17
hottprof

How Do You Identify?:
female
Preferred Pronoun?:
Miss to you... for hym...
Relationship Status:
Crashes One Femme

hottprof Has the BEST Reputationhottprof Has the BEST Reputationhottprof Has the BEST Reputationhottprof Has the BEST Reputationhottprof Has the BEST Reputationhottprof Has the BEST Reputationhottprof Has the BEST Reputationhottprof Has the BEST Reputationhottprof Has the BEST Reputationhottprof Has the BEST Reputationhottprof Has the BEST Reputation

The Dark Tower Series : Drawing of Three (ie book 2). Stephen King

On the Edge: The United States in the Twentieth Century - Horowitz and Carroll (for the class I am teaching this spring)

The Lyrics to "We didn't Start the Fire" BIlly Joel (also a teaching tool)

Smiles

Last edited by hottprof; 12-04-2009 at 07:19 PM. Reason: not an english teacher... bad spelling
hottprof is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hottprof For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2009, 07:35 PM   #18
daisygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey, cutie (or dudette)
Relationship Status:
xoxo

1 Highscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottprof View Post
On the Edge: The United States in the Twentieth Century - Horowitz and Carroll (for the class I am teaching this spring)

The Lyrics to "We didn't Start the Fire" BIlly Joel (also a teaching tool)

Smiles
Dear prof--I wish that I was in that class (how cool!)

--Leslie Feinberg
Old 12-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #19
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:
Happily married to MisterMeanor, the man of my dreams

Thanked 1,849 Times in 510 Posts
MsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST Reputation

Book of the Dead by Patricia Cornwell

Plum Spooky by Janet Evanovich

The Family by Jeff Sharlet

And a bunch of silversmithing and jewelry making books and magazines
MsDemeanor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MsDemeanor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2009, 08:03 PM   #20
Inuus

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
Single Not Looking

Inuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST Reputation

Animal Magnetism by Rita Mae Brown

I just started it today and its really good for those that love animals. Its basically about all the animals she has had or been involved with over her lifetime with cute stories about each. She is involved in fox hunting as a sport(they dont kill the fox) so alot of stories about horses and dogs...light reading would recommend it

Tags
books, reading