Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 09-21-2019, 10:01 AM   #281
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Thanked 21,363 Times in 6,715 Posts
kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

becoming interested in desertsurvival...since the planet is warming....a good thing
Old 09-21-2019, 01:36 PM   #282
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

first thing i've learned is to stay out of the sun, especially in the hottest part of the day..duh...you want to slow down the loss of water from your body..so find shade during the hotter part of day and look for water in early morning or after sun begins to set...where to look next
Old 09-26-2019, 08:44 PM   #283
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Old 09-27-2019, 12:46 AM   #284
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

interesting
Old 09-27-2019, 11:03 AM   #285
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygrrl View Post
first thing i've learned is to stay out of the sun, especially in the hottest part of the day..duh...you want to slow down the loss of water from your body..so find shade during the hotter part of day and look for water in early morning or after sun begins to set...where to look next

Excellent advice no doubt, but during the hottest part of the day you'll find me down the road in some dive bar enjoying their air conditioning and having a cold one!
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 04:35 PM   #286
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
Excellent advice no doubt, but during the hottest part of the day you'll find me down the road in some dive bar enjoying their air conditioning and having a cold one!
Oh and also listening to some honkytonk tunes...........
Old 12-06-2019, 05:39 PM   #287
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Quote:
Whatever your level of competency in lighting fires, or method you are contemplating – from hand drill to matches – it’s harder in the cold, damp conditions of winter than it is in warm, dry conditions of summer. Concentrate on using only natural materials for every component of the fire lay, including tinder. Even if you are used to using only natural tinder in the summer, they will be in a different condition in winter and your favorites may not be available at all.

Focus on sourcing dry kindling and dead, dry standing wood (harder in winter when there are no leaves). Going out in winter and applying what works in summer, forces you to refocus and refine your skills so they work without fail year-round. Winter is the time to push your fire lighting skills on to the next level.

So it appears when someone says Baby Light My Fire, it takes a bit more work in winter....
hahaha H...i wanted to mention the waxed pinecones..haven't made these (yet) but i think they will be awesome!
Old 01-24-2020, 09:37 AM   #288
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default Converting Your Neck Knife and Wallet into a Fire Starter Kit..

One of the bushcraft knife skills to learn is how to convert your neck knife or wallet into a fire starter kit. All you need is a 550 paracord, duct tape, and ferrocerium rod. Then add some creativity, and your neck knife and wallet can be instant light a camp!

Hopefully it goes without saying to remove all cash and valuables from your wallet beforehand......
Old 04-16-2020, 04:06 PM   #289
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default It doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg........

Old 04-16-2020, 04:09 PM   #290
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:

Not a whole lot of dirty dishes to wash, I like that......
Old 04-30-2020, 12:46 AM   #291
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Old 04-30-2020, 07:02 AM   #292
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Wondering if she is in bear country?
Old 09-14-2020, 07:44 PM   #293
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

neat trick w the baggie..i can't imagine going into the woods w/o a knife, axe and a few ways to make fire..

Old 09-20-2020, 06:19 PM   #294
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

his bow drill secretgenius
The Following User Says Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2020, 06:42 PM   #295
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

fall is the time i loved camping..even camping in the winter a few times..it was a good morning when i had to break ice to drink or bath...i miss it but just stuff(these thoughts) it knowing it's just not safe for a lone grrl even with guns & knives...watching Oven awakens the yearning...someday
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2020, 06:47 PM   #296
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygrrl View Post
fall is the time i loved camping..even camping in the winter a few times..it was a good morning when i had to break ice to drink or bath...i miss it but just stuff(these thoughts) it knowing it's just not safe for a lone grrl even with guns & knives...watching Oven awakens the yearning...someday
Safety in numbers right!

Perhaps take a butch or two along and introduce them to the wonders of Bushcraft while feeling the safety they might offer.

Of course if you're looking for solitude, that's a whole other matter.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:27 AM   #297
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

PhD would never feel comfortable camping and id never ask that of her..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2020, 03:31 PM   #298
hagster

How Do You Identify?:
Nothing to see here, folks.
Relationship Status:
prison lesbian

hagster Has the BEST Reputationhagster Has the BEST Reputationhagster Has the BEST Reputationhagster Has the BEST Reputationhagster Has the BEST Reputationhagster Has the BEST Reputationhagster Has the BEST Reputationhagster Has the BEST Reputationhagster Has the BEST Reputationhagster Has the BEST Reputationhagster Has the BEST Reputation

I may have missed this in the thread but any thoughts on stainless steel vs high carbon blades? From what I've read, stainless requires less maintenance but is harder to sharpen, though it doesn't dull as quickly. The main tasks would be some batoning, feather sticks and striking the ferro rod.

On the upper end, I'm liking the Benchmade Bushcraft 162. (Bark River knives are out of my price range.) It's stainless steel and reviews note that it keeps its edge longer than expected. It can also be sent to Benchmade and sharpened for free. I like the holes in the handle that allow fashioning a spear much easier.

I get confused when trying to choose a high carbon bushcraft knife. I read that the blades are more fragile but easy to sharpen. I want durability and dependability. Am I overreacting to worry about this? In this category, I like the ESEE 6 but reviews of using it with a ferro rod aren't great. I'm also thinking of trying out a Hultafors OK4 to get an affordable idea of working with a high carbon blade. (I do know it's a 3/4 tang and I want a full tang.)

Does anyone have opinions on which to go with?
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 05:13 PM   #299
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Old 02-24-2021, 08:44 PM   #300
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

good solid advise