Old 05-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #41
2myladyblue

How Do You Identify?:
Goddess
Preferred Pronoun?:
...oui?
Relationship Status:
Worshipped

2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation2myladyblue Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDog View Post
OK if you get the reference you're in. Here is a space to talk about being a dyke and/or lesbian or just show your support. Allies are most welcome.
What if I didn't get the reference until after I read Emmy's post?
I can't believe I'm 20+ years behind on this!!! Thank goodness for the internet...when I realized I was outta the loop, I immediately went to www.dykestowatchoutfor.com & started catchin' up! Thanks BullDog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmy View Post
Well, I love Alison Bechdel, that's for sure! She's so nerdy and smart and adorable. When I was first realizing I wasn't straight, I would sit at the library for hours on end reading her Dykes to Watch out For series. It made me feel a bit more connected, less lonely.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Emmy...what a great comic strip!

And as for sounding off....I believe my profile synopsis says it all...lesbian, dyke....I don't care what you call me, just don't call me late for dinner! ~Blue
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 2myladyblue For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 03:40 PM   #42
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,784 Times in 4,469 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshaman View Post
"DDDYYYKKKEEE".... sounded in my ear as a car drove past... I looked around scared and said

"OH MY GOD WHERE"... then laughed and laughed...

Ahhhh the joys of being a dangerously dorky dyke.... <insert dorky grin>
Yeah, the first dyke you gotta watch out for is yourself!

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 03:40 PM   #43
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

The leaping lesbian song! And Ode to A Gym Teacher. I'd dig the old albums out of the attic but I have nothing to play them on. Whatever happened to Meg Christian? Robin Tyler? Tret Frue(?) Lucy Blue Trembley? Cris Williamson?

I like many terms that describe lesbians especially dyke! If someone calls me a dyke, I always thank them for noticing.

I dont care for queer...its too non descriptive. Or bull (fill in word of choice) ....its an animal rights thing.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 03:44 PM   #44
Pretty Woman

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Trying to be true to myself

Pretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST ReputationPretty Woman Has the BEST Reputation
Default Femme Dyke Here

I actually prefer to use the term dyke as part of my description (as opposed to lesbian I mean). It's more in folks' faces out and about in the world and, as a 'passing femme [dyke]' it jolts some of the homophobia in the world at large right up to the surface for everyone to see.
I would never let straight folks co-opt our word and use it against us. I've reclaimed it and love it and that's who I am.
As to lesbian, well the word kind of lost its power for me when lesbian began to mean only those folks who actually look straight (I'm talking now from a mainstream media POV). Never been one to light a candle and sing, 'We are gentle loving people..' as my response to how I am treated in the world. Guess I'm just a little more in folks' faces than that.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:51 PM   #45
Bohemian Rhapsody

How Do You Identify?:
Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she,her,princess
Relationship Status:
possibly disillusioned, too stubborn to quit

Bohemian Rhapsody Has the BEST ReputationBohemian Rhapsody Has the BEST ReputationBohemian Rhapsody Has the BEST ReputationBohemian Rhapsody Has the BEST ReputationBohemian Rhapsody Has the BEST ReputationBohemian Rhapsody Has the BEST ReputationBohemian Rhapsody Has the BEST ReputationBohemian Rhapsody Has the BEST ReputationBohemian Rhapsody Has the BEST ReputationBohemian Rhapsody Has the BEST ReputationBohemian Rhapsody Has the BEST Reputation
Default Lesbian...yes

Dyke, no...why? hell if I know, I just feel femme and consider the word Dyke as describing someone "Butch". Most straight folk I know call me dyke in a derogatory sense, they use my appearance as a compass ( heavily tatted and pierced) so... I'll just wear my t-shirt that says '" I'm not a Dyke but my girlfriend is". For what ever reason, I dont find the word offensive if a LGBT uses it.
Bohemian Rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bohemian Rhapsody For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #46
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

I honestly try not to use either.

I agree with the ones that say the "straight" world seems to refer to us all (our community) as lesbians or dykes. I however, do not feel i am either.

I identify as a gay femme. That is what I prefer. So many labels ...so little time....
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 04:33 PM   #47
Random

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 5,327 Times in 1,379 Posts
Random Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST Reputation

While the word lesbian doesn't fit resound with me..

I am a big old queer femme dyke..
Old 05-26-2010, 04:45 PM   #48
WILDCAT

How Do You Identify?:
Very PROUD BUTCH LESBIAN!

WILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBeingMe View Post
How's this old song grab ya?
Here come the Lesbians......The Leaping Lesbians.......
hmmmm?
Oh damn, I think I outted my age range. LOL
Meg Christian, right? I saw/heard her sing that at the OLD Michigan stomping grounds. You think we're outdating/outdated? I LOVE IT!

Proud Lesbian here! DID I SAY LESBIAN here!!!??

Also, happy as hell with my ol' butch bad assed self!!! Love those femme lesbians and dykes too!!

AND LOVE BEING A DYKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (AND OF COURSE, "queer-er than a seven dollar bill"!!)

Thanks for the "D.A.L.T.W.O.F." fun memories of days gone by recall here Bully. I still have copies of The LC with that "strip" in them. It was wonderful and FUN to reclaim those bad nasty horrible words that the world tried to crucify us with. Sad to see similar uprising within the community though, shown at times... against ones own choice(s) of words/ID's that they go by. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Live and let live I say!!

*I'm just proud, proud, proud - well, and then a little bummed when I read or hear any "anti" anything sentiments. Everyone should be proud of who they are, IMHO. (Respect is paramount!)

Peace ALL...

WILDCAT - who is just sick about the BP oil crap right now.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:05 PM   #49
CherylNYC

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm a woman. Behave accordingly.
Relationship Status:
Single, not looking.

Thanked 7,151 Times in 1,206 Posts
CherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST Reputation

Count me in! If I don't make it onto The List I'm gonna kick somebody's ass!

I will answer to lesbian, dyke, gay, and/or queer. I usually end up using whichever word seems right in the moment, but 'lesbian' and 'dyke' are my clear faves.

When I'm speaking to queer people who think that 'lesbian' is somehow pejorative, (usually the younger, genderqueer crowd), I make a point of calling myself a LESBIAN FEMINIST. Then I wait for one of them to say something, anything, stupid. I admit to puerile joy watching them squirm in the aftermath.

When I'm speaking to people who ID as stonebutch or stonefemme who think that their stone ID means that they could not possible be lesbians, I make sure to call myself a stonefemme lesbian.

When I'm speaking to lesbians who would prefer me to assimilate I call myself a dyke. Relentlessly.

BUT, if I ever find myself using the word 'dyke' in a work environment, or anywhere else where straight people might hear me, I make a point of telling them that they are NOT allowed to use that word.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #50
Jett

How Do You Identify?:
Hardcore bullheaded grown-ass Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
she loves my shaggy hair

Location: The backroom of a night cafe plotting world domination
Thanked 3,299 Times in 568 Posts
Jett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post
The leaping lesbian song! And Ode to A Gym Teacher. I'd dig the old albums out of the attic but I have nothing to play them on. Whatever happened to Meg Christian? Robin Tyler? Tret Frue(?) Lucy Blue Trembley? Cris Williamson?

I like many terms that describe lesbians especially dyke! If someone calls me a dyke, I always thank them for noticing.

I dont care for queer...its too non descriptive. Or bull (fill in word of choice) ....its an animal rights thing.

Hmmm... I must be a bad dyke, I've never heard of any of these people. Heh, actually I got razzed because I didn't know who the Indigo Girls were until last year.

But Linda Perry... 4nonBlondes and after.... that's another story altogether, yowza...

Does that count?

*more rock & roll*
Metro
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jett For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #51
Stoney

How Do You Identify?:
Stone Butch lesbian feminist Crone
Preferred Pronoun?:
Wicked Witch
Relationship Status:
happily content

Stoney Has the BEST ReputationStoney Has the BEST ReputationStoney Has the BEST ReputationStoney Has the BEST ReputationStoney Has the BEST ReputationStoney Has the BEST ReputationStoney Has the BEST ReputationStoney Has the BEST ReputationStoney Has the BEST ReputationStoney Has the BEST ReputationStoney Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDCAT View Post
Meg Christian, right? I saw/heard her sing that at the OLD Michigan stomping grounds. You think we're outdating/outdated? I LOVE IT!

Proud Lesbian here! DID I SAY LESBIAN here!!!??

Also, happy as hell with my ol' butch bad assed self!!! Love those femme lesbians and dykes too!!

AND LOVE BEING A DYKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (AND OF COURSE, "queer-er than a seven dollar bill"!!)

Thanks for the "D.A.L.T.W.O.F." fun memories of days gone by recall here Bully. I still have copies of The LC with that "strip" in them. It was wonderful and FUN to reclaim those bad nasty horrible words that the world tried to crucify us with. Sad to see similar uprising within the community though, shown at times... against ones own choice(s) of words/ID's that they go by. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Live and let live I say!!

*I'm just proud, proud, proud - well, and then a little bummed when I read or hear any "anti" anything sentiments. Everyone should be proud of who they are, IMHO. (Respect is paramount!)

Peace ALL...

WILDCAT - who is just sick about the BP oil crap right now.

Soooo..
Wildcat.... michigan huh?

So we are old... lol but remember?

alix dobkin......yahoo australia
Lesbian code...

two nice girls.. birth control and beer

chris williamson ( heard she is going this year, rumor of holly near)

Toshi Regan

and Im thinkin I might just go this year for fun... not work...

Oh yeah.. I like being called a dyke the best... or a lesbian. it used to be an insult but I use it to my advantage and have embraced the term. I have never liked the word queer for some reason .

I would be cool to run into you at fest, WILDCAT!

we could sit around the fire singing old feminist protest songs and womyns folk music and burn other peoples bras, for old times sake....
You know You wanna!

Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 08:17 PM   #52
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Maybe its a generation gap thing. I never heard of Linda Perry or 4 nonblondes and after. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolis View Post
Hmmm... I must be a bad dyke, I've never heard of any of these people. Heh, actually I got razzed because I didn't know who the Indigo Girls were until last year.

But Linda Perry... 4nonBlondes and after.... that's another story altogether, yowza...

Does that count?

*more rock & roll*
Metro

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 08:50 PM   #53
Jett

How Do You Identify?:
Hardcore bullheaded grown-ass Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
she loves my shaggy hair

Location: The backroom of a night cafe plotting world domination
Thanked 3,299 Times in 568 Posts
Jett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST Reputation

I was invited by some old friends to the Michigan fest a few years back, but I won't go there because they don't allow some women in, namely those of a trans experience.

(I probably wouldn't go anyway, not my thing so much, but that pretty much clinches it)

*seriously not a stick in the mud just sayin'*
Metro
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jett For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 09:00 PM   #54
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

I've never been to a Michigan Festival but have heard some wonderful and not so wonderful stories from others.

I live a half hour from Ptown, so I usually catch my entertainment there....ahhh the old days when Lea Delaria and The Dyketones ruled, The Pied Piper didnt have mens afternoon tea dances, and I was a hell of a lot younger. Everywhere I look now are little baby dykes.......as seen thru my AARP eyes.

Have to say, it is nice to see all the new names I havent seen before and feel the lightness of the energy here. It feels good.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #55
WILDCAT

How Do You Identify?:
Very PROUD BUTCH LESBIAN!

WILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
Soooo..
Wildcat.... michigan huh?

So we are old... lol but remember?

alix dobkin......yahoo australia
Lesbian code...

two nice girls.. birth control and beer

chris williamson ( heard she is going this year, rumor of holly near)

Toshi Regan

and Im thinkin I might just go this year for fun... not work...

Oh yeah.. I like being called a dyke the best... or a lesbian. it used to be an insult but I use it to my advantage and have embraced the term. I have never liked the word queer for some reason .

I would be cool to run into you at fest, WILDCAT!

we could sit around the fire singing old feminist protest songs and womyns folk music and burn other peoples bras, for old times sake....
You know You wanna!

Why Stoney, I figured YOU would respond to my post here, really!

Yes, the original Michigan grounds and at that "Leaping Lesbian" song time, Margie Adams (?) sang that beautiful "UNICORN" song then. Aweeeeeeeee...

ALIX was OUR BOB DYLAN, OUR SISTER leader politcally then. Yes, and she with two other beautuiful, brave and daring women at that time, made the first EVER OUT "lesbian" album. (Lavender Jane Loves Women)

And, Cris Williamson performed during that time. Those were our early performers. Brave that they came out under Olivia records. (WAIT, it was "LADYSLIPPER" FIRST, right and then came Olivia Records!) The first "women for women" music made. Did you get the Ladyslipper catalogue? We could ONLY order our queer music through mail. AND, I had a bumper sticker that said, "TIRED OF TOP 40 MUSIC, TRY WOMYN'S MUSIC", and moved to fucking TEXAS with that bumper sticker on!! LOL

It was a beautiful time. (Thanks AGAIN BULLY for this thread, it feels like "healing" to me at this time here!!) And folks were REAL butchy or femme, it did NOT matter. Many will say that they/we were all adrogynous then - well, that is not exactly correct... HOWEVER, it did "mean" something politically special at the time which ALSO was important and needed to be done and respected. (Needs to be respected today too IMHO.) Like the bra burnings of women, in general - but, today if you wear one you are NOT treated like crap like the women of the feminist movement were - STRAIGHT OR GAY!

No, I don't subcribe to any "fanaticism"... so the current stuff that folks bitch about, does not apply anymore - especially the "horrible lesbians" from the 70's. I was one of them, and I NEVER FELT that way against masculinity in women, etc... And "OUR" loves STILL loved us. To each their own - and all. And we all evolve through time and changes anyway. WHY THE FUCK these discriminations STILL get brought up today, is SO lost and beyond me (well, on a site like this, all inclusive - if it was/is a separatist site, that is different - but, this ISN'T). It's hurtful folks. And if you weren't there during this time... why "judge"? And especially, WHY on earth be negative about "US"?

And if you are separative, you wouldn't be here - I wouldn't imagine. Plus, again, the times have changed. And if you are anti-woman in any way, why be here? This is COMMUNITY, yes?!
___

Anyway, I digress!!! I went to the 30th Ann. of Mich. Fest, Stoney and got to see the changes, the new - and the "FOUNDERS" for us. All were equally respected. Ferron was there. And when one singer came out (Cris Williamson I'm almost certain) from the old days, I went up to a couple from my age group in the back row, and held them both and we sang this old beautiful song of hers, and actually wept. It was a very special time indeed.

And at this 30th, there were trandsgenered folks there, lots of beards, etc... NO ONE FUCKING CARED THAT I noticed... (?) If they "did", that was their issues or whatever... I never heard it brought up!

I don't care where anyone is today. Just hope it's for the right reasons and that folks can find the peace and happiness within theirselves to BE WHO THEY REALLY ARE. But, I will be respected for "what was" and who I am right now. Yes, I've morphed myself, (many times actually), and/but will always stay true to "MY ROOTS"... as many of you do, no matter how you ID today. Thank you for that! Really.

To the trans folks who come from our same backgrounds and lives lived, I LOVE you guys who are still "supportive" and understand. I am competely and totally supportive with YOU as well! Plus, I admire your courage!!

And again, I recognize my own changes with "gender theory" within myself. But, I am going to honor who and what I am, and would appreciate folks respecting who and what I am - AND, folks respecting ALL folks in our community for who and what THEY ARE. (I don't mean "what" as an object here, please do not take me out of context OR be offended - I am a "what" too, in this regards - actually, in MANY REGARDS. SMILE. I am MANY THINGS as a human/spiritual being. I am an emotional human being too! NOT embarrassed to say that!!)
__

So, Stoney, where ya live? We would have fun!!! How's that pacemaker? I SWEAR to goddess, (my butch witch friend) that medical photo of you, post "insert"... why, you look TWENTY years younger!!!!!!!!! I'm thinking I should go and stick a screwdriver in a socket here maybe?????????

Peace and LOVE buddy!!!!

J.

*Oh, did you think I was going to tell you my age here?

**Plus, "OH". Toshi was a little half pint running around at Mich. Fest when her mother was SWEET HONEY AND THE ROCK, rock-ing us (in their loving arms!). "LOVE YOUR MOTHER EARTH, LOVE EACH OTHER, ETC..." And yes, she (Toshi) performed then at the 30th. That was a bit surreal for me. But, Sweet Honey were our MAMA'S there! Behave, get along - or we will knock your sweet and loving heads together ya'll!! SMILE

Old 05-26-2010, 10:39 PM   #56
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,369 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolis View Post
I was invited by some old friends to the Michigan fest a few years back, but I won't go there because they don't allow some women in, namely those of a trans experience.

(I probably wouldn't go anyway, not my thing so much, but that pretty much clinches it)

*seriously not a stick in the mud just sayin'*
Metro
i couldn't cope with Michigan because of the horrible music and worse food. i always loved the lurid political infighting that one could read afterward in the Lesbian Connection. Remember when so many women got shigella? And all the infighting about the leather tent. God. When i moved, i found ancient copies of Sinister Wisdom, Off Our Backs, etc. i threw most of it away. i did save a few things including my Hothead Paison book and a copy of the magazine Taste of Latex.

i am a dyke and a lesbian. They both roll off my tongue easily. i did NOT major in Women's Studies although many of my friends back in the day did. i hated women's music except for a few performers. i liked Ferron. Remember "It won't take long" -- about the coming revolution.

i am a bit of a culture snob, and my Marxist feminism stresses the Marxism over the feminism. But i am a dyke. i own the culture, and it owns me. i am a dyke BEFORE i am a femme because i WAS a dyke before i was a femme.

i have certainly had my differences with the mainstream lesbian community. Back in the day -- a huge one was my kink. But i am and will always be a lesbian.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2010, 11:42 PM   #57
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,784 Times in 4,469 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylNYC View Post
Count me in! If I don't make it onto The List I'm gonna kick somebody's ass!

I will answer to lesbian, dyke, gay, and/or queer. I usually end up using whichever word seems right in the moment, but 'lesbian' and 'dyke' are my clear faves.

When I'm speaking to queer people who think that 'lesbian' is somehow pejorative, (usually the younger, genderqueer crowd), I make a point of calling myself a LESBIAN FEMINIST. Then I wait for one of them to say something, anything, stupid. I admit to puerile joy watching them squirm in the aftermath.

When I'm speaking to people who ID as stonebutch or stonefemme who think that their stone ID means that they could not possible be lesbians, I make sure to call myself a stonefemme lesbian.

When I'm speaking to lesbians who would prefer me to assimilate I call myself a dyke. Relentlessly.

BUT, if I ever find myself using the word 'dyke' in a work environment, or anywhere else where straight people might hear me, I make a point of telling them that they are NOT allowed to use that word.

With a kick ass attitude and post like this you are definitely on THE LIST! Love it.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2010, 12:09 AM   #58
ravfem

How Do You Identify?:
i'm a girl
Relationship Status:
negative

Thanked 3,126 Times in 1,269 Posts
ravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputation

i love love LOVE the word Dyke. If i call you a Dyke, it's a HUGE compliment!

To me, the word embodies a bold, sexy, brash butch. yuuuuuuu ummm!

i LOVE that Massi considers Hymself a Dyke, cause i know i do!!

Dykes are just plain HOT in my book!!

Old 05-27-2010, 12:14 AM   #59
Massive

How Do You Identify?:
Trans man
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him
Relationship Status:
not looking

Thanked 2,383 Times in 765 Posts
Massive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST ReputationMassive Has the BEST Reputation

Dyke and Proud!

Thanks babygirl, now, go sleep!

Old 05-27-2010, 05:36 AM   #60
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

YO! DYKE!

HOLLAH!!!!!!!
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post: