Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,993 Times in 2,596 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

I feel loved when

I can be exactly as I am

and that's not a problem.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2010, 10:03 PM   #42
blush

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I'm with goofy.

Thanked 2,376 Times in 616 Posts
blush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputation
Default Sappy, I know

but
Goof.

That's all I need to feel loved.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to blush For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2010, 10:39 PM   #43
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Thanked 1,617 Times in 633 Posts
Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation

Wow, what a good question and I'm not sure I can answer it. I have been deeply, profoundly loved. But how did I "know" it?
Because I have had other people say they love me and I did not feel anything. It was just like something people say.
When I felt loved, I had the sense of being cherished. Infinitely adored.

Ask yourself this question: Is it more important to love, or be loved?

It is more important to me to love.
No judgement on those who answer otherwise.
But to me "to love" means the person is honest, ethical, beautiful, magickal, a warrior, true, endlessly fascinating, fantastic, deep, hilarious, brilliant, good-hearted, brave, ephemeral, smells good, worthy of respect, amazing, silly, adorable. Etc. They can have crappy qualities too but those are the good ones..
When you love someone that amazing they make you "feel loved" in thousands of wonderful ways that can't be listed. At least not by me!
Those that have loved me have gifted me in ways that can't be quantified and I am grateful. I am one lucky fucker.
Cyclopea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cyclopea For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2010, 11:44 PM   #44
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat View Post
I feel loved when

I can be exactly as I am

and that's not a problem.
yes, this.
apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to apretty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2010, 06:27 AM   #45
adorable

How Do You Identify?:
Sarcastically
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 2,645 Times in 590 Posts
adorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputation

Whew great answers so far! Thanks everyone. Great posts.

I know that for me I really suck at verbalizing what it is that I need. I like people to guess, which of course is a complete set up. One of the things that this thread has proven to me (again) is that we are all very different when it comes to love.

To ask or explain what we need makes me feel weak and puts me in a vulnerable position of needing anything. The alternative is to let them fumble along while I build resentment. I know this is nuts, hence the thread. lol. I like to say all kinds of things that I don't need - that when I'm saying it - I believe. Which depends, I've discovered, on my proximity to a relationship .

Things that I think in theory, like I don't like romance, start to matter more when it's suddenly not there....and then I'm like "HEY! Where's my romance?" lol. Maybe I'm less romantic and more greedy? Perhaps.

When you come from a dysfunctional place where what you needed never mattered - I think that it is very, very hard to (as an adult) believe that anyone could or even want to meet the needs that you have. Also, I've found that some needs are in direct conflict with other needs. To add confusion to an already confused situation. For instance, I need attention but call me all day and I'll get pissed.
adorable is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to adorable For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2010, 07:14 AM   #46
Oneida

How Do You Identify?:
Free

Oneida Has the BEST ReputationOneida Has the BEST ReputationOneida Has the BEST ReputationOneida Has the BEST ReputationOneida Has the BEST ReputationOneida Has the BEST ReputationOneida Has the BEST ReputationOneida Has the BEST ReputationOneida Has the BEST ReputationOneida Has the BEST ReputationOneida Has the BEST Reputation

To feel loved, I need to believe in you...know your authentic self...and be a priority. I need to have known your forgiveness and witnessed how you love others, like your Mom or sister or best friend. To feel love, to me, is to feel safe. Safe from lies, distrust, abuse, misuse, indifference, etc... The most perfect example, for me, is the love I share with my parents.
Oneida is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Oneida For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2010, 09:02 AM   #47
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,384 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

It is really amazing how differently we perceive feeling loved.

This is a very interesting thread!

It explains why several relationships I have had have not worked....it had nothing to do with either of us being bad people, we just had different styles of feeling loved.

I must say for me, past trust and respect, it really helps to have some things in common. I really would far rather discuss WWII or the Reformation than cleats. I will be in a way better mood if I don't have to attend endless depressing writer's nights or softball practices. Nothing against those things, I just don't care about them at all.

Cynthia (My G/F) would way rather discuss Erasmus than watch football....I am truly blessed!

Yes we do have some different interests, but don't have to spend every second together to feel loved. For example I love Glee and C loves Cage Fighting....thanks to the DVR, not a problem.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:17 AM   #48
julieisafemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to Greyson

Thanked 3,445 Times in 660 Posts
julieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Really excellent thread. For me to feel loved I need to feel partnered. It is hard to explain. I have it now. I did not in the past. I felt alone. Now I feel partnered! Hand holding, decision making, emotional support. We like to do the same things. It's nice.
julieisafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to julieisafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2010, 12:13 PM   #49
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,829 Times in 3,199 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Short answer- the ability (and commitment) to build a history with someone. Mutual high regard & respect has to be part of the equation.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2010, 09:29 PM   #50
sharkchomp

How Do You Identify?:
TG/stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,341 Times in 309 Posts
sharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputationsharkchomp Has the BEST Reputation

How do I feel loved? Wow, great question and not one I've thought on much. So as I've sat and pondered on it, the best I can come up with is this...

They say love is a Verb - an action. True. But I think there has to be sincerity behind the action for it to mean anything. A person could do a thousand things for me but if they're grumbling about it... well it doesn't feel all that loving.

I agree with Hack, being accepted for me, in all that I am and all my shortcomings, that makes me feel loved also.

I'll add more to this when I have more time....

~~~shark~~~~~~~~

take a fish boating
sharkchomp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sharkchomp For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #51
bigbutchmistie

How Do You Identify?:
Since You Need A Label. Butch
Relationship Status:
Still Dreaming Of My Happily Ever After

Thanked 5,364 Times in 1,941 Posts
bigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputation

After a long hard day at work I wanna come home lay on the couch put my head in "her" lap and we just talk about our day...

And a whole lot of other things that will come to my mind... Other than what Ive already posted Im sure
bigbutchmistie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigbutchmistie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2010, 09:54 PM   #52
moxie

How Do You Identify?:
a cynical princess wannabe
Preferred Pronoun?:
lipgloss junkie
Relationship Status:
yep

Thanked 6,770 Times in 1,847 Posts
moxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputation

Like what a lot of people have said, accept me as I am. That includes all of my flaws. Some are adorable, some are not.

An obstacle that I have had in many relationships I have been in is the fact that I am an independent person. I have pretty much been taking care of myself since I was 13 and I am 37 now. I have been told that it is difficult to love me because I don't need to be taken care of because of my strong sense of self-reliance. But I also like to take care of others. Kind of a double standard I guess.

But the thing is, I do need to be taken care of. Just in different ways. I need someone to listen to me when I need to talk about my feelings, which isn't often. I need someone that pays attention to what I say and actually listen. Simply asking me how a meeting went that I had that day. Know that I hate Pepsi. Know that I don't shop without coupons.

That is how I feel loved.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:04 PM   #53
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,831 Times in 1,721 Posts
Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation

Other than a mirror? Self love is where it starts.

A little big red dog and mini me.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
- H. L. Mencken
Mister Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mister Bent For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2010, 10:30 PM   #54
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,829 Times in 3,199 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by puregrrl View Post
Like what a lot of people have said, accept me as I am. That includes all of my flaws. Some are adorable, some are not.

An obstacle that I have had in many relationships I have been in is the fact that I am an independent person. I have pretty much been taking care of myself since I was 13 and I am 37 now. I have been told that it is difficult to love me because I don't need to be taken care of because of my strong sense of self-reliance. But I also like to take care of others. Kind of a double standard I guess.

But the thing is, I do need to be taken care of. Just in different ways. I need someone to listen to me when I need to talk about my feelings, which isn't often. I need someone that pays attention to what I say and actually listen. Simply asking me how a meeting went that I had that day. Know that I hate Pepsi. Know that I don't shop without coupons.

That is how I feel loved.

Really being heard and valued for exactly who we are (yup, flaws and all) makes all the difference! And paying attention to those little things (I prefer Coke), are not all that little, really. When someone pays attention to these small things, I feel loved, too and truly cared about.... my idiosyncrasies have been noticed and are appreciated! Its fun to take notice of these kinds of things as a couple and give them to each other. I remember this!!!

Self-reliance and an independent nature does seem to be misinterpreted quite often when for me, it doesn't have a thing to do with the ability to inter-depend as well as be intra-dependent in healthy ways.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2010, 10:33 PM   #55
bigbutchmistie

How Do You Identify?:
Since You Need A Label. Butch
Relationship Status:
Still Dreaming Of My Happily Ever After

Thanked 5,364 Times in 1,941 Posts
bigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputation

I agree its the little things... And feeling valued and cherished for WHO I am not what someone wants me to be..
bigbutchmistie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigbutchmistie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2010, 10:36 PM   #56
adorable

How Do You Identify?:
Sarcastically
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 2,645 Times in 590 Posts
adorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputation

Being heard, listened to and understood are very important to me too. Of course, I have to actually say something - which at work, on the street, in a room full of people I don't know - isn't a problem at all. In a relationship though, I don't know why, I think it's to avoid conflict or rejection, I tend not to say what I feel or what I need from the other person. But it's only when it comes to my needs. To win a stupid argument, I'll draw blood if I have to in order to win. I also don't want to hurt the other person's feelings or make them feel bad.

Of course, what ultimately happens is I get fed up and walk. Which has yet to make anyone feel good....
adorable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:37 PM   #57
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

sap-moment*

when ez and i were first dating we'd gone to the dog park with all 4 of the dogs, his 3 mild-mannered and older, fairly well-behaved pack and my holy terror, insane, bark at your face till you play with me, pick fights with bigger dogs, jump up in the air 5 feet, eat-your-shoes, terrible, bad mannered baby boy, Chester (the frenchie that thinks he's pit and 12 feet tall)...

we had to be out of his house for 2 hours because his real estate agent was showing it most saturdays (he was selling) and had to take the dogs--we even went in separate cars to the dog park because the dogs didn't know each other well, yet...

so, we had a LOOONG walk and the park was filling up with all sorts of dogs (saturday morning) and we're about to leave and this crazy lady enters the small-dog area with her very fearful and barking tiny dogs, and chester takes off running towards them which would have been fine if their owner didn't start screaming and then the dogs start screaming and chester tries to attack and the lady won't unleash the dogs so (so they can actually greet each other) so they're getting all tied around her legs and she's screaming 'who's dog is this!!!!! this dog is attacking my dogs!!!!' and we were already running after him, about to leave anyway but she was cornered and cowering and screaming while chester was trying to sniff her dogs and bark back at them. the entire time she wouldn't shut the fuck up and i was thinking that ez probably hates my dog and is embarrassed to be out with a dog who has such FEW manners and instead he gathers all the dogs leashes and we're now actively leaving the enclosure, nearing the gate and she still is staring at us moaning and paralyzed in exaggerated fear and her dogs are still barking and wrapped around her lunging at chester and ez turns to the woman and yells at her, 'what are you looking at!?'

my heart melted a little cuz i knew ez would step up--he wasn't one of those guys that could talk big and no follow through (in fact, ez isn't much of a talker at all), and it really touched me how my dog is nearly the worst dog on earth (loves all people but can be dog phobic) and he still chose to stick up for him.

so, this is my tiny dog park story <3

(also, there's this time that ez sang chester to sleep in his lap, singing the baby beluga song -a favorite of mine- but i doubt that he wants me to tell how it was so sweet that i started crying.)

apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to apretty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2010, 10:40 PM   #58
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,831 Times in 1,721 Posts
Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation
Default He ain't Ezee, he's my brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apretty View Post
sap-moment*

my heart melted a little cuz i knew ez would step up--he wasn't one of those guys that could talk big and no follow through (in fact, ez isn't much of a talker at all), and it really touched me how my dog is nearly the worst dog on earth (loves all people but can be dog phobic) and he still chose to stick up for him.
Ezee does step up.

This post mushed me all over.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
- H. L. Mencken
Mister Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister Bent For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2010, 10:47 PM   #59
Blaze

How Do You Identify?:
With my drivers Lic.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Gentleman.. Depends on the Situation.
Relationship Status:
Last Rodeo, what a ride, many sunrises & sunsets to be had...

Thanked 5,471 Times in 1,451 Posts
Blaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

What do You need to feel loved?

Truly. You shouldn't need anything out of the ordinary to feel loved.
Like many said, if you can look into the mirror and love yourself, that is the start to the greatest love. If your don't feel good about yourself, then it is impossible to love others. You will pretend and eventually it will show/
If one truly needs to the ACT of feeling loved by stimulation of another, than that what it is, just an ACT.
You can Want... But do you truly Need?
You can Give... But do you Truly Mean?
I guess my answer is I love waking up every morning.
I love my first cup of coffee.
I love showering and getting ready for work.
I love working and my friend/co-workers.
I love my drive home from work.
I love walking into the door and being greeted by all my four legged family.
I love Being hugged and kissed by my girl when I come home.
I love my quiet time, I love my family time. I love all that Life has to Offer.
That about sums it up for what it takes to make me feel loved....
And this is just my opinion of what I think...
Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Blaze For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #60
TROOPER
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 09/11/2010
Relationship Status:
Single

TROOPER has a reputation beyond reputeTROOPER has a reputation beyond reputeTROOPER has a reputation beyond reputeTROOPER has a reputation beyond reputeTROOPER has a reputation beyond reputeTROOPER has a reputation beyond reputeTROOPER has a reputation beyond reputeTROOPER has a reputation beyond reputeTROOPER has a reputation beyond reputeTROOPER has a reputation beyond reputeTROOPER has a reputation beyond repute

What Do You NEED to Feel Loved?

TRUST, COMMUNICATION, and RESPECT.

I think this is a good start!

If a person does not CARE enough about you and/or the relationship to GIVE you this...

Why bother?

TROOPER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TROOPER For This Useful Post: