Old 04-07-2018, 03:30 PM   #441
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
I have to add that I am not too fussy about style, meaning I will drink pretty much anything as long as it's well made. I also like a flavored beer at times. There's a cherry porter made by Short's in Northern Michigan that is beautiful. The cherries are local. So good. I only had it once. Mmm. Also a good Weiss beer is fine by me. Basically, as long as it's well made, I am for it. And it doesn't have to be complex or surprising. You can tell a good clean beer that is carefully made.

I agree re Belgian whites. The soda pop of beer. There are good ones, but Blue Moon, Shock Top, and Fat Tire . . . ah no.
Since it is a porter, I would try it. I can see that combination not tasting like a "flavored" beer. It would just seems it would be different than a raspberry or a pumpkin. It sounds like this would be a natural flavor, too.

Agree that you can tell a quality beer, clean and well made. That does make a huge difference.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2018, 03:37 PM   #442
Bèsame*
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femm
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
☀️☀️☀️

Thanked 39,475 Times in 10,186 Posts
Bèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST Reputation

I would rather experiment with beer than wine! I'm really game to trying new tastes. I'm no way an expert, it helps to have a drinking partner ��who knows a little something.

I do like strong, and dark and a good ice cold Shanty on a hot day. Oh, and I prefer bottle over can!

I'm a fan of dark Japanese beer ������

A kiss is a whisper in your mouth.
Can I borrow a kiss? I promise to give it back.

Last edited by Bèsame*; 04-07-2018 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Bottle OVER a can !
Bèsame* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bèsame* For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2018, 03:41 PM   #443
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,369 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

IPAs are hoppier than bitter for sure. Re sours, they aren't sweet so no hard lemonadey taste. Sour and kind of carbonated. I liked the Russian River Temptation I tried a few times.

I've never had any Japanese dark beer. I will have to try it. I like bottles too, but cans are much better at preserving the taste of the beer.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:05 PM   #444
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
IPAs are hoppier than bitter for sure. Re sours, they aren't sweet so no hard lemonadey taste. Sour and kind of carbonated. I liked the Russian River Temptation I tried a few times.

I've never had any Japanese dark beer. I will have to try it. I like bottles too, but cans are much better at preserving the taste of the beer.
Right about cans preserving the taste. I remember back in my Coors Light Days, like all good lesbians around these parts (actually I was a Coors Light drinker pre dating), I always went for the can when it was "cooler" to have the bottle. As I remember it, the bottles of Coors Light tasted more "watery" to me.

I really like 21st Amendment beers and they come in cans. I can't help but think this is part of the reason why the beer has such a quality taste. I've never had any of their beers on draft, but I am quite happy with the taste in a can. I like their Brew free or Die IPA and their Back in Black IPA

http://21st-amendment.com/

Old 04-07-2018, 05:09 PM   #445
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Ok, THAT'S IT! I am opening up my growler that has a local black IPA in it. All this talk of beer! Plus, it is National Beer Day!

Old 04-08-2018, 12:16 PM   #446
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

Thanked 9,727 Times in 1,613 Posts
imperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
HB, what do you mean when you say "bitters"? I see that you don't like "hoppy" beers (which translates that you wouldn't like IPAs), but hoppier the beer, the more bitter it is. So, I am confused.
They are called "bitters" because compared to ales there, they are bitter.

Not compared to IPA. I don't find them anywhere close to as bitter as IPA. They are ales, not pale beers, so it's called so in comparison to that. but a clear tawny brown you can see through, very nutty, malty, warm. The "bitter" in it is a compliment to the ale, not a lead, like an IPA.

They are called "old men's beer" or "traditional ale" they aren't stout-y pitch black which are coffee, chocolate, molasses.

They are more a clear, light-to-dark amber brown beer, and the oness I went for were "dark fruit" (like when you make overly ripe fruit into something else), pepper and caramel. They were more "spice edge bitter" than "hop edge bitter."

That said - I also always chose the *lower* of the bitter end of the traditional ales - the double malts. Ones made with pale malt and crystal malt, for example, if I could. There were further end bitter ones but to me it tasted like someone was trying to leech the moisture out of my pallet. Traditional ale bitters are *DRY* and bitter if you go for that far end.

That said, I can't drink dry wine, or dry vermouth either. Nor can I even eat a brussel sprout because of the type of bitterness.

I can do lemon! but to me that's a different bitter - that's a sweet-sharp-bitter. Not a dry acrid bitter that tastes like something is seriously wrong with what I'm eating.

Apparently this is a genetic thing.

All the more dry wine, dry martinis, and IPA for everyone else.
imperfect_cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imperfect_cupcake For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 03:02 PM   #447
Chained Daisy

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Stone Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 1,820 Times in 532 Posts
Chained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST Reputation

I rarely drink beer/ale but I do like a stout on occasion

I am half agony, half hope, Jane Austen
Chained Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chained Daisy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 03:58 PM   #448
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,369 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

I live in Bumfuck Nowhere, a census designated place on the Gulf Coast of Florida, yet the last time I got beer at my local chain grocery store, it was Funky Buddha Hop Gun IPA, a beer HB would hate. Still, it's awesome how much decent beer is available now.

What was your last decent grocery store find?
Old 04-08-2018, 08:40 PM   #449
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

Thanked 9,727 Times in 1,613 Posts
imperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputation

Me personally, zippity, since we don't get beer in grocery stores lol

we gotta go to booze shops.
imperfect_cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imperfect_cupcake For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 08:57 PM   #450
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

I gotcha HB, thanks for the information and education!

Martina, my state doesn't sell alcohol in grocery stores either. You have to go to liquor stores.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:04 AM   #451
cathexis

How Do You Identify?:
Trotskyist, Anarcho-syndicalist
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, Them, Their, Sir Bitch
Relationship Status:
open

Thanked 4,710 Times in 1,603 Posts
cathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputation

We don't drink alcohol, but every once in awhile. Do you have any
non-alcoholic beer recommendations other than the standard O'Doules? I am fond of cider with a bite. Suggestions? Thanx in advance.
cathexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:11 AM   #452
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 28,873 Times in 9,718 Posts
JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation

Shiner Bock strawberry blonde. Its seasonal so i look forward to it each time it is out. Made with Poteet, texas grown strawberries.
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 04:04 AM   #453
Jedi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
they are my world

Thanked 1,764 Times in 548 Posts
Jedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST Reputation

I'd like to resurrect this thread.
We have many local breweries in the area. We are a big "craft" brew area as well. I am not big on the IPAs or the hoppier and more bitter beers. I like a nice smooth lager usually.

Also, since I live in a craft brew area, I was wondering if anyone was interested in maybe a craft brew trade. I would be willing to trade beers with people. Anyone???
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jedi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 03:11 PM   #454
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Thanked 21,362 Times in 6,714 Posts
kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Bud Light is my goto...but when im feeling FOMO i look for my favorite Pumpkin Ale..my limit is #1
The Following User Says Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 04:17 AM   #455
Jedi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
they are my world

Jedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygrrl View Post
Bud Light is my goto...but when im feeling FOMO i look for my favorite Pumpkin Ale..my limit is #1

I like Bud Light Lime a lot. But I don't usually go for the light beers. They are smooth just they are a bit watery to me. I have been digging some Sierra Nevada lately. The Pale Ale is quite good. The Oktoberfest is very good. I was on a hard cider kick for a while, too. Woodchuck is my fave. Angry Orchard isn't a bad substitute though. Redd's Apple Ale is just meh to me.

Anybody digging anything good out there?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jedi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 05:14 AM   #456
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,589 Times in 4,691 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
I like Bud Light Lime a lot. But I don't usually go for the light beers. They are smooth just they are a bit watery to me. I have been digging some Sierra Nevada lately. The Pale Ale is quite good. The Oktoberfest is very good. I was on a hard cider kick for a while, too. Woodchuck is my fave. Angry Orchard isn't a bad substitute though. Redd's Apple Ale is just meh to me.

Bud Light Lime is my go-to beer when we're out at basic restaurants and bars. At home we drink Coors Light bc that is Mr. Jenny's preference.

When we are at craft beer places i like to try the beers with the funniest names.

Beers i have drunk for the name alone include Arrogant Bastard, Old Speckled Hen, and Pussy Wagon.

My tastes are simple: i like all beers! I especially love super-hoppy IPAs. I like porters and stouts and bocks, too. I do not love sours, but i don't leave them unfinished either.

One of my book clubs meets at a draughthouse so i actually try 2-3 new craft beers per month

I should use this thread as a beer journal so i can track those tastings.

The thing is, i have not tried any craft beer that i would go out of my way to have again. When faced with the 63 taps our draughthouse has, i always choose something new. There always IS something new!
Old 05-22-2019, 05:17 AM   #457
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,589 Times in 4,691 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post

Redd's Apple Ale tastes like Boone's Farm
Old 05-22-2019, 05:37 AM   #458
Jedi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
they are my world

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_crystal View Post
Redd's Apple Ale tastes like Boone's Farm
agreed.........
Old 05-24-2019, 12:36 AM   #459
Amulette

How Do You Identify?:
Ma chérie, a sweet thing.
Preferred Pronoun?:
feminine
Relationship Status:
Following the scent of flowers.

Amulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST ReputationAmulette Has the BEST Reputation
Default This is sooooo yummy! Summer is coming.....

Amulette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amulette For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 07:24 AM   #460
Jedi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
they are my world

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_crystal View Post
Bud Light Lime is my go-to beer when we're out at basic restaurants and bars. At home we drink Coors Light bc that is Mr. Jenny's preference.

When we are at craft beer places i like to try the beers with the funniest names.

Beers i have drunk for the name alone include Arrogant Bastard, Old Speckled Hen, and Pussy Wagon.

My tastes are simple: i like all beers! I especially love super-hoppy IPAs. I like porters and stouts and bocks, too. I do not love sours, but i don't leave them unfinished either.

One of my book clubs meets at a draughthouse so i actually try 2-3 new craft beers per month

I should use this thread as a beer journal so i can track those tastings.

The thing is, i have not tried any craft beer that i would go out of my way to have again. When faced with the 63 taps our draughthouse has, i always choose something new. There always IS something new!
I like the bocks as well. Well Shiner bock anyway. Texas taught me that. I wish we had a place nearby for us. We do have this one little liquor store that likes to carry the local stuff. I wish I could get into the hoppy stuff but nope. I do like the sours. One of my favorites is Landshark. It's Jimmy Buffett's beer from the Margaritaville brewery. It has some citrus notes to it but is oh so smooth and great right off the ice on a hot summer's day.

Please do chronicle your craft beers experience. Some of us are way curious.