Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > FUN > Words Games, Quizzes, Etc.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
Sweet Bliss

How Do You Identify?:
I Am
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

Thanked 7,264 Times in 2,158 Posts
Sweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST Reputation
Default Whatzat mean? Word origins.

Have you ever wondered about the original meaning of words?

Who used it? Who started it? What we use it for now?

I find it facinating. Maybe we could learn together about the

Magical World of Words

Here is a help center: http://etymonline.com/
Sweet Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sweet Bliss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
Sweet Bliss

How Do You Identify?:
I Am
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

Sweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST Reputation

Okay, I'll start.

goober

To me it means: I care deeply for you, if you are a fur baby I love and adore you, it is a term of endearment, and I use it very sparingly. I find you cute and adorable, and if you are close I will squeeze, hug, kiss you and mess up your hair a little, and yes I will fix it back for you.

Here's what the dictionary says:

goober (n.)
"peanut," 1833, American English, of African origin, perhaps Bantu (cf. Kikongo and Kimbundu nguba "peanut").

who knew?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sweet Bliss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
macele

How Do You Identify?:
a bold-assed maximus
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 3,239 Times in 849 Posts
macele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputation

groovy (adj.)
1853 in literal sense of "pertaining to a groove," from groove (n.) + -y (2). Slang sense of "first-rate, excellent" is 1937, American English, from jazz slang phrase in the groove (1932) "performing well (without grandstanding.)" As teen slang for "wonderful," it dates from 1944; popularized 1960s, out of currency by 1980. Related: Grooviness.
macele is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to macele For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
macele

How Do You Identify?:
a bold-assed maximus
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 3,239 Times in 849 Posts
macele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputation

December (n.)
c.1000, from Old French decembre, from Latin December, from decem "ten" (see ten); tenth month of the old Roman calendar, which began with March.

The -ber in four Latin month names is probably from -bris, an adjectival suffix. Tucker thinks that the first five months were named for their positions in the agricultural cycle, and "after the gathering in of the crops, the months were merely numbered."
If the word contains an element related to mensis, we must assume a *decemo-membris (from *-mensris). October must then be by analogy from a false division Sep-tem-ber &c. Perhaps, however, from *de-cem(o)-mr-is, i.e. "forming the tenth part or division," from *mer- ..., while October = *octuo-mr-is. [T.G. Tucker, "Etymological Dictionary of Latin"]
macele is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to macele For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
Sweet Bliss

How Do You Identify?:
I Am
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by macele View Post
groovy (adj.)
1853 in literal sense of "pertaining to a groove," from groove (n.) + -y (2). Slang sense of "first-rate, excellent" is 1937, American English, from jazz slang phrase in the groove (1932) "performing well (without grandstanding.)" As teen slang for "wonderful," it dates from 1944; popularized 1960s, out of currency by 1980. Related: Grooviness.
Ah, Jazz, REAL AMERICAN music!! All the way back to 1932? Thanks Macele!!

I love learning.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sweet Bliss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
PaPa

How Do You Identify?:
GQ Butch Daddy
Relationship Status:
A Very Protective BIG Daddy...

Thanked 5,873 Times in 1,530 Posts
PaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks Sweet Bliss for beginning this thread. It sounds like it could be fun learning new things! I looked up Dregs. I always believed it meant undesireables like the phrase "dregs of society". I recently used those particular words in a paper for school to point out the societal view of addicts in their addictions. The site you provided had this to say:

dregs (n.)
c.1300 (implied in surname Dryngedregges), from Old Norse dregg "sediment," from Proto-Germanic *drag- (cf. Old High German trestir, German Trester "grapeskins, husks"), from PIE *dher- (1) "to make muddy." Replaced Old English cognate dræst, dærst "dregs, lees." Figurative use is from 1530s.

'Sediment' or 'to make muddy' would probably be what led to that phrase being used. Another way of saying scum of the Earth.
PaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PaPa For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #7
Sweet Bliss

How Do You Identify?:
I Am
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

Default That's amazing!

Thanks for sharing this info with us PaPa!! I would have never guessed. What an interesting story behind the word. I would think there are lots of "regular" words we have no idea about pertaining to mental health and class issues.

Wow. Brings to mind the class system in India, and the work of Mother Teresa.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sweet Bliss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2013, 08:04 AM   #8
Teddybear

How Do You Identify?:
by my name
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 6,239 Times in 1,687 Posts
Teddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Bliss View Post
Okay, I'll start.

goober

To me it means: I care deeply for you, if you are a fur baby I love and adore you, it is a term of endearment, and I use it very sparingly. I find you cute and adorable, and if you are close I will squeeze, hug, kiss you and mess up your hair a little, and yes I will fix it back for you.

Here's what the dictionary says:

goober (n.)
"peanut," 1833, American English, of African origin, perhaps Bantu (cf. Kikongo and Kimbundu nguba "peanut").

who knew?
those of us from the south who grew up eating goobers knew its a great thing chocolate covered peanuts
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Teddybear For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #9
Sweet Bliss

How Do You Identify?:
I Am
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddybear View Post
those of us from the south who grew up eating goobers knew its a great thing chocolate covered peanuts
YUMMY !!! Wonder if Peanut M&M's stole that idea??? Hummm.

So, if I call someone a goober, does that mean they are good enough to eat??
Old 05-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
Sweet Bliss

How Do You Identify?:
I Am
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

Years ago I called my baby brother Pipsqueak, my mother got angry, told me to look it up.

I did. It meant insignificant person. I loved and adored my baby brother, so I stopped calling him the icky word.

Today I find out, pipsqueak means much more.

http://www.firstworldwar.com/atoz/pipsqueakwilfred.htm

It's also related to WWI medals awarded in England. And cartoon characters.

I thought it meant cute, little and adorable. I stand by my first assumption.

Love you Pipsqueak!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sweet Bliss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #11
Sweet Bliss

How Do You Identify?:
I Am
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

Default For Logos Lovers

http://verbivore.com/wordpress/

Fadspeak: the unrelenting mix of mimicry and gimmickry. Fadspeak comprises vogue phrases that suddenly appear on everybody’s tongues — phrases that launch a thousand lips. Before you can say, “yada yada yada,” these throwaway expressions become instant clichés, perfect for our throwaway society, like paper wedding dresses for throwaway marriages. Fadspeak clichés lead mayfly lives, counting their duration in months instead of decades. They strut and fret their hour upon the stage of pop culture and then are heard no more.

This website is wonderful, funny and spot on.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sweet Bliss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #12
puddin'
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
a genderqueer nuisance
Preferred Pronoun?:
bitchboi

Thanked 7,973 Times in 2,344 Posts
puddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Cool kiwi talk...

•gutted – devastated, disappointed.
•full on – it’s all happening, a lot going on.
•fulla – slang for fellow. usually an old man = an old fulla.
•handle the jandal – a saying that means how you cope with or manage a situation. (not sure how this saying came about..?).
Old 08-22-2016, 11:14 AM   #13
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Sweet Bliss, are we allowed to use phrases or just single words? IF we can use phrases....

rule of thumb

Origin 1782:The 'rule of thumb' has been said to derive from the belief that English law allowed a man to beat his wife with a stick so long as it is was no thicker than his thumb.

The first and original use of the saying is as simple as the words. The thumb was used as a readily available tool of measuring.

It has now been used as a term of commonplace knowledge in a field.
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2016, 11:20 AM   #14
anotherbutch

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single and very content this way...

Thanked 1,300 Times in 367 Posts
anotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputation

Fuckery:

Derived from the word 'fuck', Fuckery is something that is absolute bullshit or utter nonsense.

That which is fucked up.
anotherbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to anotherbutch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2016, 11:44 AM   #15
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Does anyone know for sure if the origin of "Fuckery" is Jamaican? From what I could find it appears so at least
Old 08-22-2016, 06:21 PM   #16
Sweet Bliss

How Do You Identify?:
I Am
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
Sweet Bliss, are we allowed to use phrases or just single words? IF we can use phrases....

rule of thumb

Origin 1782:The 'rule of thumb' has been said to derive from the belief that English law allowed a man to beat his wife with a stick so long as it is was no thicker than his thumb.

The first and original use of the saying is as simple as the words. The thumb was used as a readily available tool of measuring.

It has now been used as a term of commonplace knowledge in a field.
Sure!! It will add to the fun!
Old 08-23-2016, 04:44 AM   #17
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Go Dutch/Dutch Treat

The expression "Go Dutch" has its origin around 1652-1784, during the English-Dutch wars. Around that period, the English commonly used the word Dutch in a number of expressions to convey a negative feeling. The British considered the Dutch to be stingy and miserly and used the phrases involving the Dutch to imply derogatory remarks.

Go Dutch is generally used when two people out on a date share the expenses incurred.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:05 AM   #18
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default Barking up the wrong tree............

origin:The origin of barking up the wrong tree dates back to early 1800s America, when hunting with packs of dogs was very popular. The term was used literally at first, when wily prey animals such as raccoons would trick dogs into believing they were up a certain tree when in fact they had escaped.

to be pursuing a mistaken or misguided line of thought or course of action.
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2016, 08:47 AM   #19
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,369 Times in 6,857 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Omg I'm so happy for this thread!

Word origins have long fascinated me. There was a time when I considered becoming a linguistic anthropologist.

There was a show on cable about the origins of slang. Its interesting to see where our every day lexicon derives from. I was VERY surprised at the origination of y'all.

I will be back to read and post!!
Old 08-25-2016, 03:46 AM   #20
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Blessing In Disguise

origin of 'a blessing in disguise' is believed to be mid-1700s, however scholars have yet to pin down the first usage of the term. The earliest instance of the term found in print was a 1746 work by English writer James Hervey titled Reflections on a Flower-Garden.

A misfortune that unexpectedly turns into good fortune.

Tags
meaning, origin, words