Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,013 Times in 8,560 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation
Default They, too, don't speak up

Yesterday, Sen. John Cornyn (Texas, Republican, Judiciary Committee) said the Senate treated Dr. Ford the way he'd want his daughter, sister, or mother treated.

Well, what about his son, brother, father, or himself? Wouldn't he want them to be treated fairly, too?

It would be helpful if a male senator or councilman stood up and said, I, too, have been sexually assaulted and I didn't speak up for fear of ....

Dare I think there is at least one male senator or councilman who has been sexually abused. But this is a can of worms these worms on the Judiciary Committee don't want to even think about, let alone discuss.

I think hearing from some men who have been abused may have stopped this nomination, but then Trump would only try to appoint someone even worse.
Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 10:23 AM   #62
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,247 Times in 1,416 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

I, like everyone else, has been following this cesspool of a confirmation process since go.

If I have it right, this is partly about Kavanaugh's character, but more broadly, that he is conservative out the yin-yang. If Trump wins re-election in 2020, and with a couple other Justices looking long in the tooth, the broad fear is that he will be in a position to eviscerate Roe v. Wade and shift the Supreme Court for years, way after his term. I hear and can understand that fear.

With that being said, my immediate fear is that Kavanaugh was guilty until proven innocent-by the media, by women (including here), and by Democratic senators on the committee and in the whole Senate body. Of course, no matter his looking-more-inevitable confirmation, his reputation has already been smeared. This has to have been hell on his family, who obviously weren't in the picture when he was 17-18.

I believe something happened to Dr. Ford, just because of the fact that few women (and more than a few men) get out of their teens without some kind of sexual incident against their will, including me. I withhold judgement on Kavanaugh simply because her story changes, and there is no corroborating witnesses or credible evidence to support her story.

And therein lies my fear. If last Thursday is the level of "proof" needed to ruin someone's career and personal life, then let's toss out the judicial system right now. To some, he has a big target called "successful white guy" on his back. That was a lynching, and no, I don't apologize for the strong words. If we as a country have come down to political lynchings, I have great fear indeed.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:37 AM   #63
WheatToast

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she her

WheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ocean View Post
if u put all Bob Ross' paintings in a row and run past them it will look like "Make America Great Again" lolol all kidding aside ~ seeing threw his eyes bring back a feeling of content.
LOL Ocean!
I had an artist friend who took a job at an "art factory." They set up several "sofa sized" blank canvases in a row, and using the Bob Ross formula, he ran from canvas to canvas slapping the same happy little cloud here and spiky little trees there. He could knock out 10 identical landscapes in an hour.
WheatToast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WheatToast For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 10:43 AM   #64
Lyte

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Meh... I'm not very particular about this.
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,113 Times in 1,504 Posts
Lyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST Reputation

I do that frequently … go cold turkey and don't watch or listen to shite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheatToast View Post
Perhaps I need to go on a strict news diet, where I avoid it entirely … .
Lyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:21 PM   #65
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Thanked 15,248 Times in 3,064 Posts
Andrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gráinne View Post
I, like everyone else, has been following this cesspool of a confirmation process since go.

If I have it right, this is partly about Kavanaugh's character, but more broadly, that he is conservative out the yin-yang. If Trump wins re-election in 2020, and with a couple other Justices looking long in the tooth, the broad fear is that he will be in a position to eviscerate Roe v. Wade and shift the Supreme Court for years, way after his term. I hear and can understand that fear.

With that being said, my immediate fear is that Kavanaugh was guilty until proven innocent-by the media, by women (including here), and by Democratic senators on the committee and in the whole Senate body. Of course, no matter his looking-more-inevitable confirmation, his reputation has already been smeared. This has to have been hell on his family, who obviously weren't in the picture when he was 17-18.

I believe something happened to Dr. Ford, just because of the fact that few women (and more than a few men) get out of their teens without some kind of sexual incident against their will, including me. I withhold judgement on Kavanaugh simply because her story changes, and there is no corroborating witnesses or credible evidence to support her story.

And therein lies my fear. If last Thursday is the level of "proof" needed to ruin someone's career and personal life, then let's toss out the judicial system right now. To some, he has a big target called "successful white guy" on his back. That was a lynching, and no, I don't apologize for the strong words. If we as a country have come down to political lynchings, I have great fear indeed.
I had not heard her story had changed. Do you have a link about that?

Dr Ford did say Mark Judge was in the room but he has declined to discuss it. He may be a corroborating witness if someone in authority was to speak to him.

What we think about and thank about, we bring about!

Today I will treat my body with love and respect.
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 01:28 PM   #66
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,247 Times in 1,416 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
I had not heard her story had changed. Do you have a link about that?

Dr Ford did say Mark Judge was in the room but he has declined to discuss it. He may be a corroborating witness if someone in authority was to speak to him.
For one: https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/1497661002/

And the prosecutor who examined her identified several inconsistencies.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:38 PM   #67
WheatToast

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she her

WheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

I wrote a lengthy reply to this earlier, but rather than wade into a debate I fear would be an exercise in futility, I will be brief.
Though the Judge will probably be seated on the highest court in the land in spite of the objections of the American Bar Association, his church, a former Supreme Court Justice, 100 different judges and millions of Americans, the negative attention and tarnished reputation he has earned was brought on ONLY by himself and his lack of mature temperament, the out of control sobbing, the disrespect he showed Senators, the yelling, the self pitying, and the rank, paranoid partisanship he showed in his rage filled rebuttal.
I pity his family and friends, but not because Dr. Ford tarnished his halo, I pity them because he seems to be without sincerity, principles, or even the integrity not to lie to Congress.

He weak apology today made it worse.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to WheatToast For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 03:40 PM   #68
WheatToast

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she her

Quote:

That was an OpEd piece, not a news article.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WheatToast For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 04:23 PM   #69
tantalizingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Me

Thanked 4,011 Times in 823 Posts
tantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Between Trump’s election and this fucking travesty, I have seen sides of people in my life I never knew existed. On one hand it’s been horrible, but on the other, I now know who stays and who goes. It’s been enlightening. Sad, but enlightening.
tantalizingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tantalizingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 04:28 PM   #70
Lyte

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single

Lyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST Reputation

Bah! lol

This items listed as "inconsistences" were immaterial at the time of her testimony to the Judiciary Committee. How many were at the party? Narrow stairwell? Short stairwell? Early 80's? Mid 80's? Floorplan? Answers to these questions could have been discovered if those running the show wanted to dig a little deeper.

Plenty have been convicted (aka found guilty) based on circumstantial evidence alone and in this case... no one was even shooting for a conviction on Kavanagh. We just needed the answer to a simple question... is this dude due a promotion? Based on a preponderance of the evidence… which includes his own hysterical testimony.... oh hell no!

Quote:

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lyte For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 04:32 PM   #71
Lyte

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single

Enlightening... that's for damn sure! If there's a "silver lining" to any of this, it's the insight we've gained from those around us and those in government. This has been some crazy shite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalizingfemme View Post
Between Trump’s election and this fucking travesty, I have seen sides of people in my life I never knew existed. On one hand it’s been horrible, but on the other, I now know who stays and who goes. It’s been enlightening. Sad, but enlightening.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lyte For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 04:32 PM   #72
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,784 Times in 4,469 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

It is bad enough Susan Collins is voting for him, but her speech was disgusting. I couldn't bear to watch. I just read the transcript.

I feel like Collins and Flake are frauds to orchestrate - or at least go along - with the sham "FBI investigation." I would have rather they just said they were voting for him all along.

There are so many, many reasons why he is unfit to be a Supreme Court Justice, and with all the lying Kavanaugh has done - from minor to major things - if Susan Collins thinks he is going to do what he told her on abortion rights, LGBTQ rights, etc. she is living in fantasy land.

What a disgrace.

Thank you Lisa Murkowski. I hope she leaves the Republican Party and becomes an Independent. Seems to me that would suit her better.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 05:39 AM   #73
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,170 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

She had been trying to recall in the period between letters and testimony. Her answers became, in some cases, more specific. These kinds of minor inconsistencies do not in any way signal lying.

Also, it wasn't a fucking court of law. Throwing out the judicial system??? This wasn't part of the judicial system. He wasn't in court.

And seriously, using the word lynching in this context? Haven't we all learned better? Hell, Fox News doesn't do that anymore.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:49 AM   #74
Lyte

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single

I don't know why I still get surprised by the immorality and/or cowardice shown by so many. SMH

Yesterday afternoon I Googled for proof of something I'd heard earlier in the morning. I heard (via NPR I think) that there was a backlash against those who had voted to confirm Clarence Thomas. Many of them were not reelected when their term expired. I couldn't find any "proof" ... e.g old articles / published reports ... but my fingers are crossed nonetheless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDog View Post
It is bad enough Susan Collins is voting for him, but her speech was disgusting. I couldn't bear to watch. I just read the transcript.

I feel like Collins and Flake are frauds to orchestrate - or at least go along - with the sham "FBI investigation." I would have rather they just said they were voting for him all along.

There are so many, many reasons why he is unfit to be a Supreme Court Justice, and with all the lying Kavanaugh has done - from minor to major things - if Susan Collins thinks he is going to do what he told her on abortion rights, LGBTQ rights, etc. she is living in fantasy land.

What a disgrace.

Thank you Lisa Murkowski. I hope she leaves the Republican Party and becomes an Independent. Seems to me that would suit her better.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lyte For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 12:07 PM   #75
WheatToast

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
She had been trying to recall in the period between letters and testimony. Her answers became, in some cases, more specific. These kinds of minor inconsistencies do not in any way signal lying.

Also, it wasn't a fucking court of law. Throwing out the judicial system??? This wasn't part of the judicial system. He wasn't in court.

And seriously, using the word lynching in this context? Haven't we all learned better? Hell, Fox News doesn't do that anymore.

The "prosecutor" was not there to prosecute, the GOP men hired HER because they wanted a GOP woman to question Dr. Ford and they didn't have one on their committee. Once the imported woman started questioning Kavanaugh on his drinking, they pull her out and sent the men back in to mollycoddle that skeevy bastard.
The head of the FBI went to Yale Law within two years of Kavanaugh--and anyone can see the FBI probe was a fucking farce.
And don't get me started on use of the term 'lynching.'
Women need to choose what side they are on--because battle lines have been drawn, and it's time.
I choose women over GOP white men. You?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WheatToast For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 02:19 PM   #76
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,926 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

I'm out on the west coast, so anything I read online is published hours before it's available for me to read, but here's an telling example of what was withheld from the public by the power-hungry, lying, corrupt GOP:

Exhibit A) From Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-Massachusetts):
“One: This was not a full and fair investigation. It was sharply limited in scope and did not explore the relevant confirming facts.
Two: The available documents do not exonerate Mr. Kavanaugh.
And three: The available documents contradict statements Mr. Kavanaugh made under oath.”

Exhibit B) From Ranking Democratic Member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California):

“The most notable part of this report is what’s not in it.”

Excerpt from HuffPost article (below):

Quote:
Meanwhile, a president whom the majority of the country did not vote for is installing a justice on a Supreme Court that already had a seat hijacked and stolen by Senate Republicans, who were only ever in a position to do so because of decades of gerrymandering and voter suppression.
This is not how a healthy democracy functions. But there is a way to start to correct these profound injustices: What if you just told me what was in the FBI report? You’ll all feel much better! I know I will.
So, are you a senator? An FBI employee who helped with the investigation? Do you want to do me and the country — nay, democracy itself — a solid (…)? It’s the least you could do," ~ Ashley Feinstein, HuffPost Journalist, in yesterday's article published October 5th, 2018.

Link to HuffPost article (above): One Of You Should Just Leak Me The FBI Report: It's The Very Least You Could Do.

My thoughts today:

One of the things that keeps coming up, for me - at least, is the fact that long time tenured senators in executive branch positions of power, collect an life time salary off the backs of tax payers, after they retire. I've never been happy that they have the ability to collect income off the backs of tax payers, like this. To me, if an senator or former President or anyone who no longer works in their former role, but yet they've done good things for the greater good of our country (examples: strengthened and expanded social policy addressing social racial and gender inequality and injustices, poverty, law, civil rights, employment/labor, healthcare, etc.), then I think rewarding and compensating them for their service to the country like this is an good thing. I'm not happy that the Dead White Boy's Society in the GOP enclave have access to power to enrich themselves purposefully over the enrichment of all in our country. I'd like to see that come to an end, promptly, but I know it's asking a lot. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an excellent outcome and demonstrative showing of support from Democratic voters and independent voters and from voters who are fleeing the corrupt GOP, in support of turning our country around and saying flat out to all of them that their so-called law making is officially over and won't be tolerated anymore.
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 03:21 PM   #77
hagster

How Do You Identify?:
Nothing to see here, folks.
Relationship Status:
prison lesbian

hagster Has the BEST Reputationhagster Has the BEST Reputationhagster Has the BEST Reputationhagster Has the BEST Reputationhagster Has the BEST Reputationhagster Has the BEST Reputationhagster Has the BEST Reputationhagster Has the BEST Reputationhagster Has the BEST Reputationhagster Has the BEST Reputationhagster Has the BEST Reputation

I'm in tears. I'm not surprised that he's been confirmed; the idea that partisanship comes before common sense or humanity is a growing reality. I am, however, disappointed beyond words. We all know how this individual will affect rulings from the Supreme Court, and that alone is cause for high emotion.

My tears also come from the people who share this space with me, meaning this land, this country that is supposed to make me proud to be an American. The realization that the republican base has been energized by this Kavanaugh fiasco is both dumbfounding and heartbreaking. After the 2016 election, I questioned how I could go out into the world and interact with strangers that may have stood behind a man we saw as lacking character or humanity. Now? I feel my personal value as a woman has plummeted. Worthless. Again I wonder how I can leave the house and feel a safety I'd not questioned before; how will this affect how my clients perceive me or future job opportunites. I've never felt this before. There's a hopelessness rising in me and I'm scared.
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to hagster For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 05:23 PM   #78
WheatToast

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she her

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagster View Post
I've never felt this before. There's a hopelessness rising in me and I'm scared.
I'm not scared, I'm angry.
Trump and his handler Putin are running the table, and they just rigged the Supreme Court with this partisan perjurer and Trump-sucking son of a bitch.
Judge Budweiser had no trouble assisting Ken Starr in demanding all but a televised anal probe of Bill Clinton, but his recent musings did a 180 when it comes to probing presidents now.
Trump wanted this jerk-off in the SC because he alone wrote that presidents should not be impeached, or even questioned about ANYTHING while in office. He said a president is far too busy to take time to answer anyone's questions.
So, if Mueller's manages to amass multiple felony charges against Trump, Judge Brett Beerbelcher will be on the SC to help kill any justice that doesn't favor Putin's puppet, Trump.
Lesbians may not be affected much when Roe v. Wade is overturned by this drunken misogynist, but let's not fool ourselves into thinking his hatred and addiction to control won't extend to the GLBTQ rights we fought so hard to gain.
We have lost a major, bloody battle today, but we have not lost the war.
We will donate to good, honest candidates, we will vote, and we will block walk and volunteer for phone banks, and we will vote, and we will put stickers on our cars and display signs on our lawns AND WE WILL VOTE...until these GOP CRIMINALS, TRAITORS AND THIEVES are out of office.
Won't we?!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WheatToast For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 06:37 PM   #79
tantalizingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Me

Thanked 4,011 Times in 823 Posts
tantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

We need to flip those seats from red to blue. Vote! This is the most powerful tool we have and people need to vote.
tantalizingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tantalizingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 08:29 PM   #80
CherylNYC

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm a woman. Behave accordingly.
Relationship Status:
Single, not looking.

Thanked 7,151 Times in 1,206 Posts
CherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Do you really believe what you wrote? Do you actually think that Dr Ford was not credible, and that her accusation was some sort of "political lynching" of an otherwise appropriate candidate to the US Supreme Court?

The way our system works is that the Executive Branch, (the President) nominates candidates for the Judicial Branch to lifetime positions on the Federal bench. The Legislative Branch is charged with giving 'advice and consent' on those nominations. Hearings on a potential jurists are one of the ways we keep checks and balances in place so that one of the three branches of Federal government doesn't become more powerful than the other two. These hearings are supposed to determine not only whether a candidate has adequate understanding of Federal laws and the US Constitution, but also if they would rule impartially, and whether they have the right character and judicial temperament to sit on the Federal bench for the REST OF THEIR LIVES. These hearings are supposed to be thorough. They're supposed to examine a potential jurist's ability to put aside personal animosities and rule impartially. They're supposed to publicly examine a person's character.

Kavanuagh's determination to overturn settled law as it pertains to women's bodies and autonomy is quite alarming, but not disqualifying in my opinion. Trump vowed to nominate judges who would seek to regulate my vagina and deregulate guns. All of his nominees so far fit that bill. It's tragic that our Supreme Court will be slanted so far away from the mainstream, but we knew that was coming when Trump became President.

You are not correct that this is some sort of smear campaign visited upon some hapless man who happens to be white and conservative. If there are any questions or concerns about the prior conduct of a candidate for any Federal judgeship, this is exactly the moment when it's supposed to come up! Why on earth is there a question about this? This is how it's supposed to work. That is, except for the part where the FBI is NOT supposed to be constrained in their investigations, and legislators ARE supposed to consider whether a candidate has ever committed perjury, (Yes, Kavanaugh has done so during these hearings as well as during his hearings when he was fist nominated for his current position), whether a candidate is impartial, (Kavanaugh whined and sputtered about the Clinton's during his raging, intemperate rants on the stand, fer f*cks sake!), and whether or not the candidate has ever committed a crime such as, oh I don't know, SEXUAL ASSAULT!

PS Lynching was one way to MURDER African Americans, (and several Jewish people), during a harrowing and horrible period of time in the US when vicious bigots who saw those people as less than human knew they could literally get away with MURDER. I think it's incredibly insensitive to use that word to describe public allegations of a crime which many people believe one white man committed against one young white girl. Please don't do that again.