Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 10-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #21
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,170 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

I can see why your daughter called it feet. Amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieisafemme View Post
Oh! I love music! I am up on all the cool pop because of my kid. I love Bieber! Taylor Swift is ok. I love Queen. Lately there are some songs that remind me of Freddie. Madness by Muse and What Do I Stand For by Fun. I also like Bruno Mars new song. It sounds like old Police and I also love that. Look up Son de la Frontera's Buleria Negra del Gastor. My kid called it "feet!" when she was little.

There is not a lot of music I do not like but sometimes I don't like the words.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #22
julieisafemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to Greyson

Thanked 3,445 Times in 660 Posts
julieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
I looked up Son de la Frontera. Didn't find any mention of Diego. Good stuff. I would love to see them live. I don't think I have ever heard Flamenco live.
Sorry I updated that. Diego del Gastor was a flamenco guitarist and the song I was referring to was Buleria Negra del Gastor. That album is an homanje to him. He was a Gypsy in Spain in the 70s and had a very distinctive sound. Flamenco is amazing to watch live.
julieisafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to julieisafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #23
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

One of the things that touched me about Freddie Mercury was that he was one of those guys who worshipped an opera diva. He had good taste too. Monserrat Caballe. I read an article about it forever ago, so I won't recall much. But she was a depressive. And he was good to her. I just loved that about him. I was touched by him. I know the controversies -- not out out, the boyfriend he didn't treat all that well. There were others. HIV status lies. But I was always so proud of him. I felt a sense of lgbt kindship with Elton, but I didn't CARE. I just found Freddie touching. Hard to explain.

There was another gay male performer who used to get to me that way -- just intense sentimental lgbt solidarity. (I know Freddie was bi). Not a singer. The figure skater, Rudy Galindo. Whenever he would skate, I would cry and cry. It's ridiculous really -- my reaction.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #24
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

This is one of my favorite Dylan covers. I am a Dylan person, I confess. Not a true freak, but leaning that way. Anyway, there's something about hearing a woman's voice singing, "You're a Big Girl Now." Mmm.

The Following User Says Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2012, 01:10 AM   #25
AnnRkey

How Do You Identify?:
As Myself

AnnRkey Has the BEST ReputationAnnRkey Has the BEST ReputationAnnRkey Has the BEST ReputationAnnRkey Has the BEST ReputationAnnRkey Has the BEST ReputationAnnRkey Has the BEST ReputationAnnRkey Has the BEST ReputationAnnRkey Has the BEST ReputationAnnRkey Has the BEST ReputationAnnRkey Has the BEST ReputationAnnRkey Has the BEST Reputation
Cool

I have always enjoyed riot grrrl music. Ever since the movement first started. It hard to find someone who enjoys Sleater Kinney, Bratmobile, Excuse 17, The Spells, Lunachicks, The Third Sex, L7, Bikini Kill, 7 Year Bitch, Babes in Toyland, The Bangs, The Donnas (their earlier stuff kicked ass), The Gossip (again their older stuff not so much the new stuff) as much as I do!!!

Beth Ditto, Kathleen Hanna, Carrie Brownstein will always have special spot in my heart. RIOTgrrrls will forever be my favorite type of music.

Once in a while I like to jam to some Cowboys from Hell. Pantera always livens up my mood. Maybe a little Ozzy Osborne and some Sepultura!! Throw in a little Slayer and we can call it a night!
AnnRkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AnnRkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2012, 01:23 AM   #26
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

The only one of those groups I have ever listened to is Sleater Kinney. I got The Woods after reading so many good reviews. It was good, but I never sought out any of their other music. A little hard core for me. I listened to that record quite a bit though.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:41 AM   #27
AnnRkey

How Do You Identify?:
As Myself

AnnRkey Has the BEST ReputationAnnRkey Has the BEST ReputationAnnRkey Has the BEST ReputationAnnRkey Has the BEST ReputationAnnRkey Has the BEST ReputationAnnRkey Has the BEST ReputationAnnRkey Has the BEST ReputationAnnRkey Has the BEST ReputationAnnRkey Has the BEST ReputationAnnRkey Has the BEST ReputationAnnRkey Has the BEST Reputation
Cool

Yeah The Woods in one of the last LPs they made before they broke up. You should listean to Sleater Kinney the self titled LP and Dig Me out, and All hands on the bad one...prolly the best Sleater Kinney albums out..
The Following User Says Thank You to AnnRkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2012, 02:42 AM   #28
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

I listen to alternative country. I like the harder rockers, but not exclusively. I also like some of the folkier artists.

Lucero --

Old 10-23-2012, 05:09 AM   #29
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

Hack and I are seeing Christian McBride and Inside Straight on Thursday night

He is quite awesome, a jazz legacy. And a well played stand up bass makes me swoon.

We saw him at Tanglewood this summer when he opened for Wynton Marsalis, which was wonderful. His drummer Ulysses Owen and pianist Christian Sands are also exceptional.

I'm excited to see him at the Iron Horse Music Hall, one of my favorite venues because it is so intimate (less than 200 seats, kind of an old boho cafe/irish pub style hall), the space is a bit of a legend in its own right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Horse_Music_Hall
Old 10-23-2012, 06:34 AM   #30
AnnRkey

How Do You Identify?:
As Myself

Cool

I'm not a huge fan of modern country, Althought Taylor swift Miranda lambert, and a few others I do enjoy. I like honky tonk too Loretta Lynn, Ernest Tubb, Hank Senior, Patsy Cline. Not so much the bluegrass genre.

I defiantly enjoy jazz and blues, especially on snowy chilly Minnesota weekends or on a gloomy overcast rainy day, that is when blues and jazz are greatly appreciated by my ears.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AnnRkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #31
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation
Default Daniel Bernard Roumain [DBR]

DBR ::: One of the most innovative and talented composers and musicians in the world today - he seems to effortlessly create music that sits at the intersection of classical, hip-hop and electronic genres. He's really quite brilliant: artistically and intellectually.

I had the opportunity to see him perform with the Lark Quartet at Merkin Hall in New York a few years ago. I'm still in awe. And I'd leap at the chance to see him again, anytime, anywhere, any genre.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #32
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
The original lime-twisted femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to most things, especially lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

Thanked 11,425 Times in 2,978 Posts
NJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST Reputation

Can't do the bluegrass thing. I am slowly starting to open up to contemporary country music, but not that quickly. I used to take road trips with my brother who listened to only country music and it drove me insane. I'm talking about the kind of country songs that included running away with the horse and such. Bleh. I think it scarred me. But I do like Dolly Parton, Crystal Gayle, yadda yadda....

I grew up surrounded by R&B, soul, funk, disco, blues, jazz and rap. I am not a huge fan of rap either. There are very few rappers I can listen to. R&B and soul however, hold dear to my heart. I'm still crying over Teena Marie. That was a huge loss. She should have been bigger than she was, but in my life, she was larger than life.

Etta James (another huge loss) , Billie Holiday, Sarah Vaughn, Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone... love them. Love that era of music.

Opera - can only really handle Italian operas. Not a big fan of German operas. Classical is a different story - I enjoy most, if not all.

Then of course there is heavy metal and alternative. Metallica, AC/DC, Godsmack, Evanescense, Seether, Florence and the Machine, Alice in Chains, NIN, etc etc...

I have an external drive that holds about 10,000 songs and counting. Music from 1930's to present and I am still not done.

Music has always played an important role in my life. Just about every thought I have has a song queue attached to it.

NJFemmie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NJFemmie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #33
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,247 Times in 1,416 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

Speaking of obscure or alternative, there's Moby (so named because he's somehow related to Herman Melville):

Old 10-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #34
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Teena Marie -- wasn't she something?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #35
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

The Lady Snow mentioned Hal Ketchum on the two-step thread. He is totally not the kind of artist who usually floats my boat. Smooth, sweet, pretty country pop and folk.

But I have always LOVED Hal. He's a good songwriter. Consistent. Some of his songs might on the surface sound like radio country, but they are not. Smarter and not emotionally manipulative. When he writes, he's not trying to create a hit. He is accessing himself, a real person, a good person. And while the experiences he talks about are very common and he is not a genius with words, he still creates original moments. He does have some roots stuff and definitely collaborates with roots musicians, who adore him. But, I guess what I mean is you could miss that it's really good if you just went by the sound.

And I love his mellow personal energy. I was sad when I learned -- many years ago now -- that he has MS. I have only seen him a few times. He is still out and about though he has had years of little to no productivity. He's well loved by his peers, which is pretty rare.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #36
chefhmboyrd

How Do You Identify?:
man
Preferred Pronoun?:
beef
Relationship Status:
Uncle Daddy Snap

Thanked 2,845 Times in 898 Posts
chefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

this is what i grew up with in my punk days....
late teens early 20s

Bob is awesome, Sugar is awesome

Old 10-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #37
chefhmboyrd

How Do You Identify?:
man
Preferred Pronoun?:
beef
Relationship Status:
Uncle Daddy Snap

Thanked 2,845 Times in 898 Posts
chefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputationchefhmboyrd Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Old 10-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #38
tonaderspeisung

How Do You Identify?:
asleep at the synthesizer
Preferred Pronoun?:
crown prince of dirty disco

Thanked 1,794 Times in 857 Posts
tonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
OK, so I am on the PBS site tonight and saw that they had a few episodes of Austin City Limits that you can view. Just four. The episodes featured Cold Play, Bon Iver, Arcade Fire, and Radiohead. My reaction was could you name four more overrated groups? Could you contrive a more perfect list of overrated bands if you tried? Anyway, that's my music comment of the night. Not a very nice one.

The LA Weekly has a list of the "20 Worst Hipster Bands," and Arcade Fire and Bon Iver are both on it. So it's not just me.

Here's the whole list in case anyone is interested. When I saw the list originally, I listened again to a Decemberist record I have. No reconsideration for me. I can see that they think they are clever and that that can grate. But I enjoy them a lot.

20 The Black Keys
19 TV On The Radio
18 Sleigh Bells
17 fun.
16 MGMT
15 Death Cab For Cutie
14 Wavves
13 The Decemberists
12 Pomplamoose
11 Edward Sharpe And The Magnetic Zeros
10 White Rabbits
09 Beach House
08 The Airborne Toxic Event
07 Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti
06 Beirut
05 Grizzly Bear
04 Bright Eyes
03 Arcade Fire
02 tUnE-yArDs
01 Bon Iver
i have to disagree - especially with the arcade fire - seriously any band with a hurdy gurdy can never be overrated.

i notice that a lot of the bands on this list have also been used in itunes ads
i wonder to what extent a band's estimate of merit is dependent on the context in which their music is used

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefhmboyrd View Post
this is what i grew up with in my punk days....
late teens early 20s

Bob is awesome, Sugar is awesome
bob's workbook is a desert island pick of mine
tonaderspeisung is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tonaderspeisung For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #39
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Arcade Fire is good. As I said, I like The Decembrists. I agree with the LA Weekly re Bon Iver and Bright Eyes tho. A lot of the rest of the bands I don't know or don't dislike. Interesting question re iTunes ads.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #40
Reader
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Butch, Dyke, Feminist, Contrarian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,229 Times in 586 Posts
Reader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Teena Marie -- wasn't she something?
HELL YES! She was. She is still on my iPod.
Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post: