Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,993 Times in 2,596 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation
Default Feminism in News and Popular Media

I see feminism from my iPhone It's not dead and it's not relegated to the upper echelons of academia either.

In the LGBTQ community, it can be a little more complicated than "violence against women," but it still touched me to hear Patrick Stewart talk about this from a personal place. And it warms my heart to see him in the "this is what a feminist looks like" shirt.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

- Bjork

-Viktor Frankl
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

Why are women scared to call themselves feminists?

It’s a glorious time to be a declared non-feminist. This weekend, Katy Perry accepted Billboard Woman of the Year award by announcing to the world, “I am not a feminist, but I do believe in the strength of women.” Way to take home a prize for womankind there, Perry. And last month, the former supermodel/first lady of France Carla Bruni-Sarkozy declared in a magazine interview that “I’m not at all an active feminist. On the contrary, I’m a bourgeois. I love family life, I love doing the same thing every day.” Because you can’t be bourgeois, love your family, or value stability and be a feminist. It’s in the manifesto.

Bruni-Sarkozy added, “We don’t need to be feminist in my generation.” As a member of Bruni-Sarkozy’s generation, let me address that. Ha! HA HA HA! No, we don’t need feminism at all! Women over 40 are too valued and respected for that! They don’t have their looks scrutinized and mocked; they don’t face skepticism that they’re too old to do their jobs; they aren’t the punch lines of garish jokes about predatory cougars. Ha ha ha!

Perry and Bruni-Sarkozy are in esteemed company. This past summer, Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer explained that while she believes in “equal rights” and that “women are just as capable,” she believes feminism itself is a “more negative word.” Academy Award winner Melissa Leo, meanwhile, told Salon back in August, “I don’t think of myself as a feminist at all. As soon as we start labeling and categorizing ourselves and others, that’s going to shut down the world. I would never say that.” And Katherine Fenton, the young lady whose presidential debate question about the wage gap triggered Romney’s absurd “binders full of women” response, told Salon she was “absolutely not” a feminist, explaining, “I’m a 24-year-old woman that lives in the United States and feels like I should be treated the same as anyone else. That makes me a normal human being.”

If you’ve given it a lot of thought and study and come to the conclusion that nope, this feminism thing really isn’t your bag, OK. Godspeed and I wish you well. Feminism is about respecting each other’s choices, after all, and as a feminist I respect yours. No, wait, come back. Are you sure about this? Really? You know, you don’t have to be some angry, man-hating termagant. In fact, if that’s your idea of what a feminist is, you may be basing your image on what the most loathsome trolls on the Internet call us. Well, not “termagant” because they can’t spell it, but you get the point. Do you trust the perception of creeps?

Let me just point out that if you believe in the strength of women, Ms. Perry, or their equality, Ms. Mayer, you’re soaking in feminism. If you’re like Ms. Bruni-Sarkozy and want to explain that “I imagine I am if feminism means claiming one’s freedom. But I am not if it means being committed in an active way to the fight that some women are still leading today I admire their bravery a lot, but I have chosen to commit myself elsewhere,” you should know that “the fight” is just being an autonomous person in the world. And if you’re like Ms. Fenton and think feminism means being treated like “anyone else,” remember that there aren’t a whole lot of “anyone else” options out there. You’re basically admitting that masculinity is the norm and that all we can do is aspire toward some kind of equitable footing in a man’s world. This sounds like a job for … feminism!

It’s not that feminism is one perfect dogma, or that those who claim participation in it have it all figured out. Feminists argue among themselves and there are some real pieces of work out there who call themselves feminists. Perhaps that’s why someone like Katy Perry, who’s incited the rage of feminist writer Naomi Wolf for her provocative “Part of Me” video, feels this a revolution she doesn’t have a role in. But when Perry, a woman who this weekend walked a red carpet for the Trevor Project holding a sign that said “Be proud of who you are” says she doesn’t want to identify as a feminist, it’s a fair to ask, who is she then?

You can call yourself or not call yourself whatever you want, but consider this. Nobody enjoys it more when a woman says she’s not a feminist than a misogynist. Nobody gets more gloatingly self-congratulatory about it, or happier about what “real” women don’t need than someone who doesn’t like women very much, especially not the uppity, outspoken, wanting pay equity and reproductive freedom types. Consider that any word that feared and derided has incredible power. And how beautiful and strong that makes it.ts/"]Why are women scared to call themselves feminists?
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

This photo was posted on STFU, Conservatives Tumblr page last night. The reason why I'm sharing it is not because of the photo itself (which is epic in it's ow...n right), but for the comments it generated.

One person wrote, "but then again, its kind like putting a meat suit on and telling a shark not to eat you".

STFU responded (with bolded text):

"We (men) are not fucking sharks!

We are not rabid animals living off of pure instinct

We are capable of rational thinking and understanding.

Just because someone is cooking food doesn’t mean you’re entitled to eat it.

Just because a banker is counting money doesn’t mean you’re being given free money.

Just because a person is naked doesn’t mean you’re entitled to fuck them.

You are not entitled to someone else’s body just because it’s exposed.

What is so fucking difficult about this concept?"

Bravo.

(from Sluts for Obama 2012 facebook)

- Bjork

-Viktor Frankl

Last edited by Nat; 01-03-2013 at 08:55 PM.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

I see a lot of smart young women and men saying feminist things on the internet, and I don't spend that much time here. I don't know that they ID as feminists, but I doubt that most would baulk at the description.

I think what Katie Pery was acknowledging is that it's not a particularly cool thing to call yourself right now. But anyone serious enough to think beyond what's cool knows better. And, thank god, there are a lot of folks like that.

I don't think it matters how we market feminism, whether it is cool or not. It's a human rights issue. We are making progress on awareness of human rights issues around the world, including, maybe especially, women's rights.

Malala was not just an international cause celebre. She got a huge amount of support at home. The protests in India to the rape cases. The reaction to the Republicans candidates remarks about rape in the last election.

There were losses too -- access to abortion in the United States. But change is happening. It's not going to stop because some trendy people don't like the word "feminist."
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
julieisafemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to Greyson

Thanked 3,445 Times in 660 Posts
julieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I am not trendy in any way and I did not like the word feminist and did not call myself one for a lot of reasons. I have changed my mind on that thanks to you and lots of other good people on this site. I don't think it's necessarily the young people we have to be concerned about, although we should think of them.
I am not super in touch with 20 somethings. I do talk to my 10 year old about feminism and use that word as well! That would not have happened 4 years ago.

Change is happening and it is because people talk about things. I am so grateful for you and the conversations I have had on this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
I see a lot of smart young women and men saying feminist things on the internet, and I don't spend that much time here. I don't know that they ID as feminists, but I doubt that most would baulk at the description.

I think what Katie Pery was acknowledging is that it's not a particularly cool thing to call yourself right now. But anyone serious enough to think beyond what's cool knows better. And, thank god, there are a lot of folks like that.

I don't think it matters how we market feminism, whether it is cool or not. It's a human rights issue. We are making progress on awareness of human rights issues around the world, including, maybe especially, women's rights.

Malala was not just an international cause celebre. She got a huge amount of support at home. The protests in India to the rape cases. The reaction to the Republicans candidates remarks about rape in the last election.

There were losses too -- access to abortion in the United States. But change is happening. It's not going to stop because some trendy people don't like the word "feminist."
Old 10-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Thanked 10,619 Times in 2,489 Posts
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation
Default Interesting article

Why I Won’t Call Myself a 'Slut'

I am black, I am a woman and I am a feminist. In private, I often refer to this trifecta as the holy trinity. My biological, social and chosen identities shape how I move, how I am perceived and how much space I am allowed to take up in a white-male-dominated world. In trying to put my feminism into practice, I do not always stand behind every so-called feminist issue that is mandated by mainstream white feminists. For example, feminists have made a big push to critique what is termed “slut-shaming” and to reclaim the word “slut.” They have organized nationwide marches and written hundreds of blog posts in an effort to take back the term and subvert it.

“Slut-shaming,” the act of negatively judging and policing women who take full control of their sexual agency, is an act deeply rooted in sexism and misogyny, all things feminists should be against. It seeks to demean women who carry their own condoms, who initiate conversations about sex, or who negotiate their sexual wants and desires openly. The mere act of seeing oneself as a sexual being and being proud of it makes you a target for being “slut-shamed.” All the things that society commends men for doing and measures their masculinity against, society also condemns in women.

I am all for marginalized groups reclaiming words that were once used to shame and dehumanize them. I stand firmly behind the reclaiming of the term “queer,” especially as a verb. Queering languages, queering spaces, and queering understanding is something that I am politically committed to doing in my life, but as a black woman I have no desire to reclaim the term “slut.” My act of resistance in not wanting to reclaim the word “slut” does not mean that I advocate for “slut-shaming.” I do not agree with the sexual policing of women no matter their race, class, gender presentation, body size or ability. But one of the major flaws of mainstream feminism is the propensity to generalize about the lives of women, treating women as though they all face the same threats, and therefore can only be liberated through a one-size-fits-all model.

Racism is ubiquitous and I am keenly aware of how race and class impact different women differently. If we are going to advocate against “slut-shaming,” and for owning the word “slut,” we cannot do so without paying attention to the facts. We must ask, who are the women being defended against “slut-shaming,” and who are the women being left to defend themselves? Only white women have the privilege of reclaiming the word “slut” without facing any real social penalty. Miley Cyrus, for instance, is being hailed as a woman who is in control and liberated, unlike her black counterpart Rihanna. Rihanna does not get worshiped for owning her sexuality or her agency. Rihanna gets pity, scathing criticism, and popular feminist magazines wanting to “save” her from exercising choices they do not agree with. Many mainstream feminists feel entitled to police Rihanna’s black female body; evenLena Dunham could not resist. However, if you look closely you can see that Miley has been feverishly studying and has been influenced by the Rihanna’s bad girl playbook.

White women may also be allowed to transcend their “sluttiness” when they feel the need to do so. Both Angelina Jolie and Madonna have been able to shed their past bad girl images seamlessly. Whiteness affords white women the ability to try on different identities while their racial privilege remains intact. Because in a society that values whiteness over all else, to be white is to be human and all non-white persons must audition for their humanity.

The bodies of black women are highly politicized and critiqued no matter who they belong to, from the first lady to “the help.” The physical movements and choices of black women are always viewed through a filter of suspicion. In order for me to claim my right to be a “slut,” I first must win the battle to be able to fully claim my humanity.

Black women have always been labeled as hypersexual beings unworthy of respect, love and justice. “Slut” is the default position of black women, so attempting to subvert the word or own it would only further root the false stereotype in place. “Slut-shaming” black women has not just been common practice — it’s been entrenched in public policy. Members of the Tea Party are still looking for the nefarious “welfare queen” that President Reagan created 30-plus years ago. Compulsory state sterilizations of black women, unequal incarceration rates and even the way we decide who receives welfare benefits are all rooted in “slut-shaming.”

The majority of white feminists who advocate for reclaiming the word “slut” also fail to defend all women against “slut-shaming.” When Rush Limbaugh “slut-shamed” Sandra Fluke swaths of white feminists came to her defense, and rightfully so. But I question whether the feminist infantry would have been so zealous if Sandra Fluke looked like Rachel Jeantel. Trans* women of color are frequently stopped and frisked and arrested for having a condom on their person. They are wrongly imprisoned for standing their ground and placed in prison with men, and murdered for daring to be seen in public. These injustices happen constantly, without any marches or much fanfare from the mainstream feminist establishment.

The social and political ramifications of policing black women cannot be solved by simply taking back the word “slut.” If there are no real policies put in place to protect and defend women of color and trans* women from compulsory “slut-shaming,” then once again I must ask: Who are mainstream feminists truly invested in protecting from “slut-shaming”? Policymakers and media must stop pathologizing the behaviors and relationships of black and trans* women of color. Trans* women must be given full rights and recognition on par with cisgendered women. White feminists who have large platforms and access to large platforms must make a real effort to include women of color and trans* women, and allow them to speak for themselves. As a black woman, I won’t be concerned with reclaiming my inner “slut” until white women show more interest in being in solidarity with me.

http://www.alternet.org/gender/why-i...age=1#bookmark
Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #8
Allison W

How Do You Identify?:
TG Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Loner

Thanked 1,198 Times in 320 Posts
Allison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST Reputation

This may not have quite the... well... cachet(?) of some of the articles in this thread, and I won't pretend I don't find the construction worker to be attractive, but oh well. If men can do it women should be allowed to do it, too. The whole thing about women's chests being legally regarded in so many jurisdictions as inherently sexual in ways that men's chests aren't is a crock.

Uncovered
Posted by Vera on 19 Oct 2013

Many people don’t know this, but it is completely legal for women to go topless in New York! Great news for advocates of equal rights and women who just want to know what that kind of liberation feels like!

Photographer Jordan Matter has based his project and book titled “Uncovered“ to document women’s exploration of the New York law. Inspired by the ‘Nipplegate’ scandal of 2009 involving Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake, “Uncovered” is a collection of over 100 women who have posed topless on New York City streets.

“There was so much hoopla around it and I got to thinking about our culture of covering up. In New York, it’s legal for a woman to be topless in public — so I decided to document what happens when a woman bares her breasts.”

At first, Jordan felt the project would be making an important political statement, however it became more about the individual women he was photographing as time went on. Jordan’s subjects, all volunteers of different ages, body types and socio-economic backgrounds, were asked to confront their feelings about their bodies in order to pose in public. Shame and inadequacy were common themes among the women, but eventually Jordan describes that the women felt “euphoric” being photographed.

“The photo subjects found the option of not covering up to be incredibly liberating.”

Article link (all of these include pictures, by the way; the article links are "safer" content-wise than the book site, but I would still recommend the book site): http://www.beautyexists.net/art/unco...shirts-in-nyc/

Another article link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...k-streets.html

Book site link: http://www.uncoveredbook.com/index.php
Allison W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Allison W For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #9
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Default Wasn't sure where to put this…some great articles :)

The 24 Pieces That Should Be Required Reading For Women From 2013
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2014, 03:39 PM   #10
Allison W

How Do You Identify?:
TG Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Loner

Thanked 1,198 Times in 320 Posts
Allison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST Reputation
Default In 2013, Failing the Bechdel Test Was Bad for Your Movie’s Bottom Line

(my apologies if someone else already posted this in another thread)

In 2013, Failing the Bechdel Test Was Bad for Your Movie’s Bottom Line

by Susana Polo | 11:21 am, January 2nd, 2014

Ahh, it’s good to see The Bechdel Test used where it is most applicable: as a lens through which to expose a misrepresentational trend in modern film overall rather than specifically. Vocativ took nearly fifty of this year’s top grossing blockbusters, sorted them by whether they failed or passed the test. Turns out movies that passed were significantly more financially successful than not.

This is merely correlation between having movies make sure that their female characters, even the secondary ones, are shown to have thoughts and feelings that revolve around something other than male characters. What’s much more likely to be the causation, though, is that effective writing means you get good female characters, and effective writing produces successful movies.

http://www.themarysue.com/2013-bechd...t-infographic/
Allison W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Allison W For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2014, 05:38 PM   #11
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached to my boyfriend and future husband.

Thanked 31,991 Times in 9,939 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

RE: The Bechdel Test

In a graduate level class on Film Studies, we had a spirited discussion among grads and undergrads about the so-called percieved litmus test of applying The Bechdel Test. Our professor interjected with the idea the test itself is a limited means of detecting gender bias. Moreso, the creator of "Dykes To Watch Out For" - Alison Bechdel - said herself that she created The Bechdel Test as "a tigger to a punchline in her comic strip" and that she has "always felt ambivalent that the test is associated with her name" (See Link provided at the end of this post).

I think I am more likely to appreciate film critic Robbie Collins (author of the article in The Telegraph) take on The Bechdel Test:
"I suspect that many critics and bloggers are happy to overlook the test’s flaws because the conclusion it seems to lead us to is one that they want to hear: cinema is perilously lacking in well-drawn female characters. Well, if that’s true – and it obviously is – can’t we just forget about the test and talk about that?"
Link to article found ~~>>> Here.

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post: