The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation
Default Trans Woman refused job because of Trans status; called a "faggot"

If someone does like me because I'm trans, that is there issue. However, when they decide that because I'm trans I "do a poor job" or whatever reason, then that becomes everyone's issue. Seeing this is really disappointing:

http://www.transgenderlegal.org/head...how.php?id=198

Quote:
December 7, 2009 - TLDEF today filed a Complaint with the Florida Commission on Human Relations against an Orlando McDonald's restaurant for refusing to hire 17-year-old Zikerria Bellamy because she is transgender.

On July 10, 2009, Zikerria applied online for a position as a Shift Manager or Crew Leader at McDonald's. On July 28, after managers at McDonald’s learned that Zikerria is transgender, she received the following voicemail message from one of the managers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCXOCsfl5Js

more info about what TLDEF is doing for her at the link above

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:58 PM   #2
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Ignorance is everywhere, didn't the bill pass that included Trans from discrimination? Or am I ahead of myself here?
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:06 PM   #3
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
Ignorance is everywhere, didn't the bill pass that included Trans from discrimination? Or am I ahead of myself here?
The Federal ENDA? Sitting in some Senator's office. Maybe -- big maybe -- spring 2010.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
The Federal ENDA? Sitting in some Senator's office. Maybe -- big maybe -- spring 2010.
Friggen Senate..... it's hopefully a matter of time. I really don't expect a predominately republican state to change their bigotry without ENDA.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #5
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,944 Times in 584 Posts
iamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputation

First of all, I would like to say it sucks what happened to that young child. The manager should be put in stocks for the day and be ridiculed for all his own shortcomings on the public square. Also, sounds like he was disappointed for personal reasons, perhaps an interest in her? I can't believe some of the incredibly stupid and hate filled comments on u-tube about the situation.

Secondly, unless changes were made that I am not aware of, Transgendered people were excluded from ENDA in an affort to get it passed.
Keri
iamkeri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
Dylan
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
She thinks all my jokes are corny

Thanked 1,839 Times in 500 Posts
Dylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST Reputation

And after a federal ENDA passes (one which DOES include transfolks) they'll just find other reasons not to hire transfolks. So, instead of just coming out and saying it, they'll find another way to word it.

Staggering statistic: Over 80% of transfolks are unemployed. Some stats go as high as 97%

Dylan...remembering the city manager in FL who was also fired.
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:16 PM   #7
atomiczombie

How Do You Identify?:
Femmesensual Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His
Relationship Status:
Dating

Thanked 3,221 Times in 757 Posts
atomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputation

Holy shit that is fucked up. We should all boycott McDonald's.

Wow Dylan, 80% ?? Makes me nervous about trying to find a job.
atomiczombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:44 PM   #8
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Unhappy

Sad
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:56 PM   #9
Goofy

How Do You Identify?:
Cheesecake Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
I'm blushing

Goofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST Reputation

McDonald's response...

"The McDonald's on International Drive and Sand Lake Road issued a statement Monday evening saying, "Sand Lake Road McDonald’s has a strict policy prohibiting any form of discrimination or harassment in hiring, termination, or any other aspect of employment in the organization. The restaurant requires all employees to comply with local, state and federal employment laws."

and went on to say...

"The behavior of the individual in question is not reflective of the employment policies in the organization. Further, this individual acted outside the scope of his authority and was not responsible for hiring. The individual in question is no longer employed by the restaurant," the statement said."

full article HERE
Goofy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goofy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2009, 12:04 AM   #10
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,944 Times in 584 Posts
iamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputation

Wow! That's pretty progressive for a Florida company.

As a handicapped person, I can never understand how this treatment of trans folk is allowed since all research to date indicates gender disphoria (I know this term doesn't fit everyone, so please just let me say this in a quick way and not get a big argument started) is the result of inutero hormonal disturbances. Sounds like a birth defect to me and should be covered insurance wise like all birth defects. Also trans folk should be protected by the Americans with Disabilties Act (Though I have to say from my own experience that the ADA does not provide all that much protection, but it's better than nothing)

The article does NOT say that they offered her a job. Does anyone know if they did?
Smooches,
Keri
iamkeri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:05 PM   #11
NotAnAverageGuy
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Trans

NotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the rough

Ok and what I do not understand is if you don't want negative comments, etc why post things online for the whole to see aka youtube?

Never will I post anything online about things because I know how cruel and mean people are, she didn't deserve any of the mean things but if the media would stop putting things in a negative light maybe some people might change their minds.

Media is the evil on here along with the manager.
NotAnAverageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote