How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,369 Times in 6,858 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I am beginning.....

The American Transcendentalists: Essential Writings....

this group of great thinkers from the 1800s discussed (and championed) many causes of the day. Things that still affect us....in some form or another....to this day.

environment
civil rights
government
religion

Im eager to get my teeth into it
Old 03-25-2014, 05:23 AM   #2182
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Old 03-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #2183
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached to my boyfriend and future husband.

Thanked 31,996 Times in 9,940 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

The Shadow of the Wind
~ Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Here is a partial book review, by another reader:

A mystery story, a fairy tale, a love story (actually several love stories), a passion for literature, a treatise on politics, a bawdy tale, with love, hate, courage, intrigue, loss of innocence, humor, cowardice, villainy, cruelty, compassion, regret, murder, incest, redemption, and more. Add to this delicious mixture characters who come alive, and whose thoughts and feelings you will feel deeply. What a great pleasure to discover; an extraordinary first work, one which towers over the endless and repetative volumes which inhabit today's "Best Seller" lists. Read it, and become hypnotized.

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2014, 08:54 PM   #2184
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
The arteest formerly known as musicfemme.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

Thanked 32,098 Times in 6,125 Posts
candy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy_coated_bitch View Post
Totally just bought this for my kindle! As an extreme introvert, this topic fascinates me to no end. I will report back.
I am about 1/3rd of the way through this book and I am SO glad I bought it. I love that the book has a lot of research in it, and also stories and interviews from real people. I think the author treats the subject of what makes introverts tick, and how introverts have underrated strengths well.

I will continue to devour it...

My Patreon

My Website
candy_coated_bitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to candy_coated_bitch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2014, 10:23 PM   #2185
amiyesiam

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/they
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 10,138 Times in 2,161 Posts
amiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anya* View Post
Quiet: the power of introverts in a world that can't stop talking

By Susan Cain.

"At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking, reading to partying; who innovate and create but dislike self-promotion; who favor working on their own over brainstorming in teams. Although they are often labeled "quiet," it is to introverts that we owe many of the great contributions to society--from van Gogh’s sunflowers to the invention of the personal computer.

Passionately argued, impressively researched, and filled with indelible stories of real people, Quiet shows how dramatically we undervalue introverts, and how much we lose in doing so. Taking the reader on a journey from Dale Carnegie’s birthplace to Harvard Business School, from a Tony Robbins seminar to an evangelical megachurch, Susan Cain charts the rise of the Extrovert Ideal in the twentieth century and explores its far-reaching effects. She talks to Asian-American students who feel alienated from the brash, backslapping atmosphere of American schools. She questions the dominant values of American business culture, where forced collaboration can stand in the way of innovation, and where the leadership potential of introverts is often overlooked. And she draws on cutting-edge research in psychology and neuroscience to reveal the surprising differences between extroverts and introverts.

Perhaps most inspiring, she introduces us to successful introverts--from a witty, high-octane public speaker who recharges in solitude after his talks, to a record-breaking salesman who quietly taps into the power of questions. Finally, she offers invaluable advice on everything from how to better negotiate differences in introvert-extrovert relationships to how to empower an introverted child to when it makes sense to be a "pretend extrovert."
most excellent book, she also has a TED talk

A year from now you will wish that you started today~Karen Lamb
amiyesiam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amiyesiam For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2014, 05:54 AM   #2186
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
Wanted to report back that this was actually a really good read!!

I just started on "Civility in the Digital Age:How Companies and People Can Triumph over Haters, Trolls, Bullies and Other Jerks"
by Andrea Weckerle

I'm only 20 pages into it but it is a fascinating read so far!
This one turned out to be pretty decent. Definitely some good tips!

I just started "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe" by Fannie Flagg. I read it years ago and, of course, love the movie but I wanted to give this one a reread.
I forgot how charming it was!
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2014, 05:08 PM   #2187
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 10,230 Times in 3,305 Posts
Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation
Lightbulb Definitely not light reading...yet quite facinating.

The Biology of Transcendence: A blueprint for the human spirit

by Joseph Chilton Pearce
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2014, 05:37 PM   #2188
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
GNC, not Trans, REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Thanked 6,639 Times in 2,288 Posts
Greco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST Reputation
Default info

"the sociopath next door"
by Martha Stout, Ph.d.

Chilling to say the least, and vitally important clarifications.
A must read.

Greco

"Me gusta andar, pero no sigo el camino pues lo seguro no tiene misterio." Facundo Cabral
Greco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2014, 10:51 PM   #2189
okieblu

How Do You Identify?:
queer butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey you!
Relationship Status:
Single

okieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputation

Making Money-Terry Pratchett

His work is just a hoot.
okieblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:53 PM   #2190
okieblu

How Do You Identify?:
queer butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey you!
Relationship Status:
Single

okieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputationokieblu Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

I was wondering, is that fiction, or non-fiction?
okieblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:36 PM   #2191
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,686 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

I'm reading The Unapologetic Fat Girl's Guide to Exercise and Other Incendiary Acts by Hanne Blank.

I just started this book last night, and am digging it so far. This is not a cheerleading book. There are no chants of "rah rah! You can lose that weight!" And thank goodness. Aren't there enough books like that already? There's no guilt tripping here, or promises of how much fun it will be, as if fun exercise is some secret I've somehow missed out on.

What this book does well is to offer the radical idea that fat bodies have just as much right to be in motion as any other body (this sounds like it should be obvious, but the glares I've gotten at the gym and the paltry selection of exercise clothes in my size have told me otherwise). This book offers sample goals that are internally driven, and aren't based on peer-pressure and pack mentality that so often dominates fitness books. Most intriguing of all, exercise is presented as a protest act. As a punk rocker (albeit aging), this idea is incredibly appealing.

And tomorrow, I'm going to buy an activity tracker. So fuck off, society!
Old 03-31-2014, 06:09 AM   #2192
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by okieblu View Post
I was wondering, is that fiction, or non-fiction?
It is historical fiction set in Germany during the later half of WWII (1941-1944), approximately. And it's written in a somewhat unusual style, with an unusual narrator.

I've not yet seen the film adaptation.

Frankly, I can't imagine how they'll portray some parts and I'm not ready to find out just yet because the magic and beauty of the book is still with me.

I'm a read first, watch later purist, in most cases
Old 03-31-2014, 06:28 AM   #2193
willow
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
sugar and spice
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 6,751 Times in 1,837 Posts
willow Has the BEST Reputationwillow Has the BEST Reputationwillow Has the BEST Reputationwillow Has the BEST Reputationwillow Has the BEST Reputationwillow Has the BEST Reputationwillow Has the BEST Reputationwillow Has the BEST Reputationwillow Has the BEST Reputationwillow Has the BEST Reputationwillow Has the BEST Reputation

Just started, The Hunger Games Trilogy.

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs11/i/20...ockAvatars.gif

willow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to willow For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2014, 07:24 PM   #2194
silkepus

How Do You Identify?:
covered in ink and glitter
Preferred Pronoun?:
feminine ones
Relationship Status:
watching pictures of cats on tumblr

silkepus Has the BEST Reputationsilkepus Has the BEST Reputationsilkepus Has the BEST Reputationsilkepus Has the BEST Reputationsilkepus Has the BEST Reputationsilkepus Has the BEST Reputationsilkepus Has the BEST Reputationsilkepus Has the BEST Reputationsilkepus Has the BEST Reputationsilkepus Has the BEST Reputationsilkepus Has the BEST Reputation

Ive spent the last two days reading The Well of Loneliness by Radclyffe Hall, it's 3 am and I just finished it (and I have to get up in less than 4 hours argh, why did I not put it down)

Either way, I hate it. And I love it. Why! Why did it have to end like that! Why Hall! How could you!

Tomorrow is going to be balls. Not only will I be tired I'll be constantly haunted by the ending

silkepus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to silkepus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2014, 07:45 PM   #2195
LaDivina

How Do You Identify?:
Lady-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Lady-ones

Thanked 1,729 Times in 413 Posts
LaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST ReputationLaDivina Has the BEST Reputation

I just finished Anne Bishop's Black Jewels trilogy a couple days ago (for the 23421978th time) and am almost done with The Invisible Ring, from the same world.

LaDivina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LaDivina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2014, 12:02 PM   #2196
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

"The Fires of Vesuvius Pompeii Lost and Found"
by Mary Beard.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2014, 08:44 PM   #2197
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Today I received my long awaited cookbook.... Wildly Affordable Organic.

The author conceived the idea of the book when she accepted a challenge to live and eat well on the amount of money the government gives for food stamp benefits.

She found that its actually possible to eat well on under 5 dollars a day. And enjoy nourishing meals at that. All her tricks and secrets of success are in this wonderful book....

author: Linda Watson
Old 04-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #2198
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Currently reading Soccer vs the State: Tackling Football and Radical Politics

Just started it, but looks like it's going to be a good read.
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2014, 04:59 AM   #2199
Daktari

Just finished Tina Fey's autobiography attempt, Bossypants. I recommend you don't bother reading it. I like Tina, love her comedy but her prose is so very pedestrian.

Just started the Rosie Project. Just a few pages in I know I'm going to love it.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1405912790"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1405912790[/ame]
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2014, 05:25 AM   #2200
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

I just started reading Walden....

I didnt know til I started reading it that this book has inspired world leaders...(Ghandi was mentioned). I have found life altering wisdom...and Im not even that far into it....
Thoreau says things that Ive thought and could never word so eloquently....the greatest of which... that we spend more time doing than just BEING....Im going to make a more concerted effort to just BE....

Tags
books, reading