Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

View Poll Results: Number of pets and what type
cats? 59 31.22%
dogs? 61 32.28%
both 51 26.98%
Purchased or given to you? 39 20.63%
1 Pet? 41 21.69%
2 pets? 44 23.28%
3 or more pets? 91 48.15%
Rescued/adopted? 128 67.72%
prefer pets over kids 54 28.57%
prefer pets over humans 63 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #21
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,829 Times in 3,199 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

My 15 year old cat, Luciano is in kidney failure, but doing well, actually. He gets sub-q fluids every other day and is on Rx food. He is still king of the abode (even over my French Bulldog) and keeps the neighborhood in check. Yes, he has slowed down, but is a tough cat! Now he comes in early in the evening to snooze in his heating pad adorned bed under my desk. I have a talk and ear scratch session with him every night on the floor and he purrs the best tunes!

Have another cat, an orange manx (Mario), also a rescue. He is 7 years old. Always been a nervous fellow and very sweet. I have caught him more than once cleaning Luciano's ears under my desk. He knows his big brother doesn't feel well all of the time. Fortunately, Mario loves the dog and they are pretty close. So, when we lose Luciano, he will still have a fur person he loves around.

I lost the last of my Boxers 2 years ago (Valentino) to a brain tumor at age 8 years. Had Boxers for 30 years, some rescused, others, not. I miss him and the breed, but it is best to have a small breed for me now.

That brings me to Ranocchio the Frog Dog!! He is a tiger-brindle French Bulldog and he is 5 years old. Kind of like having a short Boxer, actually. Total clown... with attitude! A great companion and friend!

I'm an introvert and although I do like people in general, I prefer home and quiet and being able to trust my fur kids. My human family is number one on the people scale. I spent my working life in fields directly dealing with people and people problems and education. Unless someone truely loves pets, I'd rather they not even visit me. This is their home, too. I'm done taking care of people in my personal as well as work life. Totally retired! The kid is raised and has his own family and is stable. The rest is for me and responsible, conscious, considerate humans ... and my pets! The only shit I am going to clean up any more is what's in the litter box!

I would like to have another pooch, but right now with my older cat's health needs and expenses, that isn't the thing to do. Probably piss him off, anyway....
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #22
Jude

How Do You Identify?:
I'm Fluid (comfortable being me)
Preferred Pronoun?:
"Hey Jude"

1 Highscore

Jude Has the BEST ReputationJude Has the BEST ReputationJude Has the BEST ReputationJude Has the BEST ReputationJude Has the BEST ReputationJude Has the BEST ReputationJude Has the BEST ReputationJude Has the BEST ReputationJude Has the BEST ReputationJude Has the BEST ReputationJude Has the BEST Reputation
Default No More Kids.....

I didn't get my first doggy until my children were grown up, out of school and on their own.

It's wonderful. And I don't care whether my Lulu is the brightest or the dumbest in puppy class.

and, I care even less where my dog goes to college or what her grade point average is. Ivy or state school; it's irrelevant. Graduate school: forget it. You don't need it to lick your butt with any sort of proficiency.

Babysitters...No problem. Just toss her in the zip up bag and take her along. Leave her for a couple of hours with a new chew toy and she thrives.

The question of what might appeal to her for dinner is mute. It's gonna be dog food.

The most outrageous act of adolescent rebellion might be an accidental piddle in the kitchen or the insistence on taking "froggie" along on a walk.

Dogs are definitely easier to raise than children and often far more gracious and appreciative than people.

Not having any more kids. Just shih tzus!!
Old 11-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #23
Jude

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
"Hey Jude"

1 Highscore

Jude Has the BEST ReputationJude Has the BEST ReputationJude Has the BEST ReputationJude Has the BEST ReputationJude Has the BEST ReputationJude Has the BEST ReputationJude Has the BEST ReputationJude Has the BEST ReputationJude Has the BEST ReputationJude Has the BEST ReputationJude Has the BEST Reputation
Default Your Ferrets...

You said:
Yes, my ferrets throw tantrums.
Yes, they're spoiled rotten..
They also define "party animal"..When theyre happy they Hop around, a lot..sometimes they'll roll and Hop, and pounce each other, and make funny noises{I'm told}..
Sometimes their Tail will "Poof", I make sure it's cuz theyre happy...
Only 2 reasons a tail will poof, very hyper & happy...very scared & pissed off.

Curious. My adult daughter has two ferrets which are not really house trained. She claims they are, of course, but any available corner appears to be a "toilet" and she just places a kitty litter box in all four corners of their room. They miss it as often as hitting the spot. Just wondering if you've had a different experience and actually have house trained ferrets in tow. They've had ferrets forever and have actually had to always have an entire room adapted as "the ferret room" because they choose not to cage them. I enjoy playing with them -- at HER house.

Judith
Old 11-06-2010, 02:06 PM   #24
SimpleAlaskanBoy

How Do You Identify?:
Bisexual trans guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Daddy to a sweet daisy.

Thanked 1,010 Times in 295 Posts
SimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST Reputation

We have cats...six of them.

Moxie was mine, adopted her from a shelter in Alaska once I got my first apartment & she's been with me ever since. Brown tabby, with gorgeous green eyes and the Queen of the Bedroom.
Romeo is daisy's..orange tabby that is just "one of the girls" and brother to Cricket.
Cricket is the Momma of the brood, eternally kitten sized and a spaz pro. She's also Zilla's Mom.
Zilla, aka Catzilla....sweet, "special" twenty lb, polydactl cat. Don't mess with her though, she's got lightning quick reflexes.
Gidget is a year old kitten of a barn cat that daisy adopted for me before I moved here to help me get over the loss of my other cat, Belly. She plays fetch & currently enjoys following the newest kitten around, grooming her and playing with her. Which leads me to Linnea, our 10 week old tabby kitten with amber eyes. She was adopted from a rescue group while they were at a local pet store, it seems that Linnea and her siblings were dropped there previously because they knew the rescue organization would be there. I approved her adoption because daisy really wanted her, and it was her birthday. She is still growing into her meow and has Daddy wrapped around her little paw. She's also into everything!

Of course...if anyone asks...we just have 4.
~SAB

<-----Pocky Jedi

"There's only one rule I know of babies-G-d damn it, you've got to be kind."
-Kurt Vonnegut (G-d Bless You, Mr. Rosewater)
SimpleAlaskanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SimpleAlaskanBoy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #25
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,829 Times in 3,199 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude View Post
I didn't get my first doggy until my children were grown up, out of school and on their own.

It's wonderful. And I don't care whether my Lulu is the brightest or the dumbest in puppy class.

and, I care even less where my dog goes to college or what her grade point average is. Ivy or state school; it's irrelevant. Graduate school: forget it. You don't need it to lick your butt with any sort of proficiency.

Babysitters...No problem. Just toss her in the zip up bag and take her along. Leave her for a couple of hours with a new chew toy and she thrives.

The question of what might appeal to her for dinner is mute. It's gonna be dog food.

The most outrageous act of adolescent rebellion might be an accidental piddle in the kitchen or the insistence on taking "froggie" along on a walk.

Dogs are definitely easier to raise than children and often far more gracious and appreciative than people.

Not having any more kids. Just shih tzus!!
TOUCHE!! But at least kids are kids! Love my grand kids. It's the adults stuck in adolescence that make me nuts! And believe me, this occurs at any adult age! Not talking about customary passages through human development. May 20 year olds have more sense than some 50 year olds I know.

But, give me my fur kids!

Last edited by AtLast; 11-06-2010 at 02:12 PM.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #26
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by christie0918 View Post
Just call us Schnauzer land...

Max, the 23yr old mini schnauzer. (Yes, twenty-three) who is a crotchety ole fella. Hard of hearing (or ignoring us), only about 6 teeth left, and still plays like the younguns. He never fails to bring me a baby (he leans towards stuffed ducks) and flips over on his back so I can "get belly." I surely love that lil ole man.
23? Wow! I've got to ask, what brand of dog food do you give him/gave him most of his life?

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2010, 03:02 PM   #27
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Can't do the poll, as I have none currently.

In the past, I've had up to 8 rescue cats at once and two dogs at once. My last dogs were Brodie and Gidget, a miniature Irish Setter and a miniature Shih Tzu. My last cats were Moby and Willow Anastacia and the 8 I mentioned were: Oreo, her kittens Picasso, Wolfgang, and Tigger and another set of siblings we rescued: Arizona, Zen, Nikki the Narcoleptic Kitty, and Virtue.

I tend to be a cat person but Organic is allergic, so no pets for us now. Maybe a beta when we move to a bigger place. My first beta was named Alpha Beta. Ha!

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2010, 03:18 PM   #28
Jude

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
"Hey Jude"

1 Highscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
TOUCHE!! But at least kids are kids! Love my grand kids. It's the adults stuck in adolescence that make me nuts! And believe me, this occurs at any adult age! Not talking about customary passages through human development. May 20 year olds have more sense than some 50 year olds I know.

But, give me my fur kids!

Interesting. Of course grandchildren are a delight. Can enjoy them thoroughly and then send them home to their parents and crawl in bed and watch a good movie uninterrupted.

I have been noticing that this generation of "kids" is very different than their parents, and in a positive way. Perhaps it is just because I'm the grandparent, but I sense more maturity, more sensitivity, stronger conscience. Speaking for myself, of course, but our kids were more selfish. Wouldn't it be lovely if the "me generation" is something of the past.

To keep this in the puppy thread. Adding an addendum that my doggy is universally charming, deeply spiritual and considerate and I spare no opportunity to tell my kids that she's been far easier (and less costly) to raise than they were. (And that her estate will be somewhat more substantial than their own for that reason alone.)
Old 11-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #29
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,064 Posts
lipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputation

I have two very spoiled dogs so spoiled that one cries all the time about something or the other, either water or go outside to pee or poop or just something. But I love them I have no kids to love on so they are my everything!!
lipstixgal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lipstixgal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2010, 03:24 PM   #30
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

I have four cats. In order of when they moved in, they are:

Clyde and Charlotte - I got them when I was living in Vancouver in 2002. The woman who lived in the townhouse next to where I worked got evicted and left many of her pets behind. We never got the actual numbers because we couldn't catch them all - but both cats and dogs in her house were up in the double-digits. They were both around 2.5-3 months old, so I took them both and a friend of mine took their mother. I wasn't in a position to take on an adult at that time because I still had Mo at that time (he has since passed away) who was also a rescue and was aggressive with other adult cats, but I knew him to be friendly with kittens (for some reason.)

Clyde is gigantic, weighing in at nearly 20 pounds. He's not FAT however, he's just huge. I have never seen such large feet on a cat, and he is incredibly long. He chirps rather than meows, so I suspect that he is part Maine Coon. He is VERY talkative and a real lover - seriously. He loves love.

Charlotte is a diva. She has a naturally snotty voice (for a cat) and if you pet her she will often groom the area that you had pet afterward - I think she thinks I am dirty. She ignores me all day, but once I am in bed she asks to snuggle. She likes to be held like a teddy bear until I fall asleep.

Eliot is the only cat I have ever had who wasn't rescued from somewhere. A friend of mine (who lived in Michigan at that time) had a cat who had kittens and she posted the pictures on facebook - it was all over from there. I MADE Nick take me to Michigan to pick Eliot up once he was old enough. He is Clyde's best friend, and still (although he is nearly 3 years old now) tries to nurse on Clyde's belly. He likes foil balls, is very tolerant of my desire to put hats on him, and usually lays across my lap when I am on the computer.

Elphaba is just over 3 years old and has been with me for 2 years now. The woman who used to have her had a nasty habit of going out of town for WEEKS at a time and leaving Elphaba locked out on the balcony. It was summertime and hot and she had no food and water (aside from the food and water I would climb up on a chair to give to her) and there was so much feces on that balcony that you could smell it from quite a distance away. One night I decided that feeding her wasn't good enough - so I got up on the balcony and "stole" her. She was really thin and scared and sickly, so I got her to the vet and got her healthy and kept her. She is still not quite over her "I don't know when I will be fed next" impulse and breaks into my garbage can on occasion - but I forgive her. She's very friendly and no matter what I am doing or where in the apartment I am, she is always right by my side.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:48 PM   #31
atomiczombie

How Do You Identify?:
Femmesensual Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His
Relationship Status:
Dating

Thanked 3,221 Times in 757 Posts
atomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputation

My black lab mix of 13 years, Beaker, died in early August. His picture is in my gallery. I got him as a puppy from the Animal Rescue Foundation and he almost made it to 14. We had to tearfully let go of him when his spinal arthritis made him paralyzed and incontinent in his hind quarters. I miss him every day.

We adopted Popeye in late September from the Homeless Animals Lifeline Organization. He is now 6 months old! His pic is in my gallery as well. He is a german shepherd/terrier/lab? mix and cute as a button. He is a love bug and thinks he is a lap dog. He is very much a puppy and chews on everything, so he has TONS of toys and bones and chewy rawhides so he wont chew the furniture and stuff. He is a joy in our lives and a bit of a rascal. I just love dogs.

I like cats too, but I am allergic.
atomiczombie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to atomiczombie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2010, 03:53 PM   #32
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomiczombie View Post
My black lab mix of 13 years, Beaker, died in early August. His picture is in my gallery. I got him as a puppy from the Animal Rescue Foundation and he almost made it to 14. We had to tearfully let go of him when his spinal arthritis made him paralyzed and incontinent in his hind quarters. I miss him every day.
I'm so sorry about Beaker. People who aren't animal lovers really don't get how our pets are our FAMILY and it's just as traumatic to lose a hairy member of the family as it is to lose the 2-legged kind.

You did got by him, I promise.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:05 PM   #33
katsarecool

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Woman
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,765 Times in 734 Posts
katsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputation

What a great way to get to know people by asking about their pets? I have enjoyed reading every single post! I applaud all the rescuers here. Awesome!

I have five cats now. That is the limit. Though I do feed the three other cats that visit me daily. Two have homes and the male is abandoned, so sweet but it took several months of feeding and talking to him before he would allow me to pet him. I wish I could find him a good home. I feel so sorry for him out in the elements. He had a cut on the back of his ear that took a year to heal up. I did apply antibiotic ointment but it kept on being ripped open in cat fights. I wish I had the money to take him to the vet and have him neutered. And a home too but not with me.

My first cat in many years is Midnight; a solid black American short-haired guy with Siamese features. I rescued him from my son who is autistic. He was physically abusing Midnight and despite the many years of gentle loving from me he is instantly defensive with others. He has bit so many people now I just warn them away. A few months ago he suddenly became ill and lost a great deal of weight. He was put on a special diet and has recoved but slowly. He was a weekend away from being put down! On Monday his appetite came back. He has the loudest purr I have ever heard. He is 12.

Then came Ashley who I bought for my grand-daughter who was 3 at the time. Well Ava began hitting Ashley in the face, it got so bad that Ashley finally mauled Ava in the face. So I took her instead of them taking her to the pound. She is a stuck up cat who prefers to be alone; a hymalaian (sp?) mix with large blue eyes and long luxurious fur. She does have a relationship with the other cats but on her terms and she is known to cuff the boys when they misbehave. She is also 12.

Then Frankie came to live here. An ex was trying to bribe me back together with her by gifting Frankie at five weeks old; another solid black short haired boy. I did keep the cat but sent the ex on down the road. Frankie is the lover of the family; he grooms everyone including me. All the other cats approach him with head lowered and butting him in the chest for their grooming. I have never seen Frankie in the five years I have had him be grumpy. He has such a sweet personality; beautiful with longish shiney hair. He weights 22 lbs despite being so tiny when he came to live here. He does not like to be picked up but he loves to cuddle in his fashion. He is my favorite and will be six on Dec. 3rd.

Chico, another rescue. The woman next door let Chico and his twin brother roam the neighborhood at four weeks old. I took Chico home with me. He is a red and white American shorthaired boy. He is not very big, with short orange ears, stocky but not fat. When someone knocks on the front door; Chico jumps up on the tall speaker, parts the curtains and looks outside to see who has come to visit him. He is another sweet boy, very affectionate and he is a devoted lap kitty.

Mimi is the last of the brood. Another rescue. My neighbor moved away and left him here last winter. She came back several times to get more things, she was being evicted. Each time I reminded her about Mimi. Meanwhile I am feeding him and worrying about him being outside in the cold. Last Christmas Eve it was very very cold and I brought him in the house where he has been ever since. It took four months to get him calmed down and accepting of the fact that he is indoor for life. He is a huge talker! Sometimes I wish he would shut up. He talks to me. He talks to all the other cats. He talks to the cats wandering around outside. He is very loving and just loves to lay in my arms for hours sleeping. In fact that is about the only time he does sleep is when I am lying down. I have thought to find a good home for him but to be honest I cannot part with him now. Even if he is very demanding. He will get right into my face with a huge meowwww. I look over to check to make sure there is food, water and the litterbox cleaned. He wants to be picked up and held like a baby boy!

I do so love the pet family and they comfort me and it is like they are my best friends.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #34
katsarecool

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Woman
Relationship Status:
Single

katsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomiczombie View Post

We adopted Popeye in late September from the Homeless Animals Lifeline Organization. He is now 6 months old! His pic is in my gallery as well. He is a german shepherd/terrier/lab? mix and cute as a button. He is a love bug and thinks he is a lap dog. He is very much a puppy and chews on everything, so he has TONS of toys and bones and chewy rawhides so he wont chew the furniture and stuff. He is a joy in our lives and a bit of a rascal. I just love dogs.

I like cats too, but I am allergic.
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of Beaker!!! I know you did what is best for him!!!

I just returned from the vet for my daughter's cat Jeffrey. Beth noticed a nickle size wound on her hindquarters this afternoon. So I went with her to the clinic with Jeffery on my lap. She is still there and will come back home around 8 pm. She required sedation to stitch up the wound which turned out not to be an animal bite. I have been talking to my daughter for almost four years to keep Jeffrey inside permanently. This is not the first trip to the emergency room for this sweet girl calico who has the softest fur in the world. She will be coming home on antibiotics, pain medication and one of those halo thingies. Beth finally said Jeffery will now be indoors. The vet bill was $300! This cat got sick from something outside last year and the vet bill then was over $500! Roaming free outside is not a safe place for our pets.About the name Jeffrey; Beth was told it was a boy kitten when she adopted Jeffrey. And Beth did not know how to sex a cat. I finally had to break it to her that the cat is a girl.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #35
1PlayfulFemme

How Do You Identify?:
An Unwitting Thread Derailer!
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, femme through and through
Relationship Status:
She is my soul.

Thanked 2,362 Times in 697 Posts
1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation

Most who know me know of our "We rescue all animals" plaque that hangs in the Universe. We currently have 13 cats and two insane boxer puppies (who aren't puppies at 3, but when they were babies, they were the youngest of the 5 dogs we had at the time - the rest of whom died of happy old age!!)

Our babies are truly our babies. It doesn't seem as though I will be able to carry a human baby, so we love and cherish our furbabies. They are spoiled to the point of ridiculousness, tho my wife and I would both deny that. (But it's her fault! *G*)

We recently lost my number one kitty. His liver failed and he developed lymphoma. On the opposite side of that, his brother was diagnosed 6 years ago with bone cancer and is in remission and you would never know he was sick. Proof that things happen in their time, not ours. I will never feel the same without Moo - to some, that's an odd statement. He died minutes after being born and my partner at the time brought him back to life. I was at work and came home to a perfect pinkish and black tuxedo kitten. His attitude was bigger than him then, and it never shrunk!

I love all my babies, but he was my "F" word. (We try not to say it outloud in the house...too many ears). We have a lady (I'm being nice - very, very nice) who lives across the street who raises feral cats. She feeds them, but won't get them fixed claiming "They aren't mine." Yet she can touch half of them and feeds them all. They were her mothers (who passed a few years ago) and she refuses to claim them. So, we end up rescuing the babies who are born with respiratory diseases and other horrifying issues. Two of our most recent babies have only one eye a piece (opposite sides) yet you'd never know it!

We've lost several that we were trying to save. There are some sicknesses that all the time in the world and treatments can't fix. But, I believe in that old story about the starfish...we try to make a difference to "that one" as often as we can.

Our babies, oldest to youngest:

Cats:
Little One 12 - we didnt name him
Spike 11 - he hissed within days of being born, and then cuddled right against me
Princess 11 - she is...very much so, a princess
Sage (We assume he is close to 8) - named for his wisdom
Chance 7 - he was found in a dumpster when he was a few days old
Vegas 7 - named by a friend of ours
Kachina 7 - her name means 'Sacred Dancer', but we call her Chi Chi
Brianna 7 - her nickname is Bree Bree
Becca 7 - her name is Rebecca, but she would NEVER answer to that!!
and my newest baby cats...
Nina 1 1/2 - My one eyed wonder, she's a tough lil girl!
Max 1 1/2 - My other one eyed wonder..he's a love!!
Sampson 1 1/2 - Named for his strength as was
Hercules 1 1/2

When my baby babies were brought in, they were about 2 weeks old. Sampson & Hercules were the biggest at 1 lb and 1 lb 2 oz. Nina was 6 oz. and Max was only 4 oz...and somehow, my babies pulled through against the odds!! Sampson is now the smallest at 8 lbs, Nina and Max weigh 14 and 15 respectively, and Hercules weighs in at 19 lbs. Fat & Sassy...just the way I like em!

Our puppies are 3. They are Hannah and Hunter. Hannah had a perfect "H" on her chest when she was a baby, thus came their names.

We have had so many fun times with our babies!! Too many funny stories to tell!! I'll keep peeking in! I love this thread!
1PlayfulFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 1PlayfulFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #36
SimpleAlaskanBoy

How Do You Identify?:
Bisexual trans guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Daddy to a sweet daisy.

Thanked 1,010 Times in 295 Posts
SimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST Reputation

I forgot to mention our outdoor feral, named Roo. He actually looks a lot like Moxie, and is very vocal. I feed him twice a day and he likes to sleep under our sycamore tree. He currently has something wrong with his rear paw and hops around on three legs, but other than that it does not seem to bother him. If we had a Trap & Neuter program locally and we could pay for it, I would but I found out the closest one is almost an hour away.
He used to sleep and eat in the garage, but he doesn't want to go in it anymore, even though we keep one of the doors cracked. Other cats use it now to stay warm. I am thinking of getting a cheap wood doghouse for Roo so at least I can keep his food dry and he's got someplace to go to stay dry and maybe get warm for a bit. He won't let us pet him but he gets within a foot of us while we are feeding him before he gives a look that says "Go away I am hungry!"
I've also seen a tabby cat with a lot of white in our yard and a skinny Siamese. I wish I could let them all in the house...
please spay & neuter!
~SAB

<-----Pocky Jedi

"There's only one rule I know of babies-G-d damn it, you've got to be kind."
-Kurt Vonnegut (G-d Bless You, Mr. Rosewater)
SimpleAlaskanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SimpleAlaskanBoy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2010, 06:14 PM   #37
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by betenoire View Post
I have four cats. In order of when they moved in, they are:

Clyde and Charlotte - I got them when I was living in Vancouver in 2002. The woman who lived in the townhouse next to where I worked got evicted and left many of her pets behind. We never got the actual numbers because we couldn't catch them all - but both cats and dogs in her house were up in the double-digits. They were both around 2.5-3 months old, so I took them both and a friend of mine took their mother. I wasn't in a position to take on an adult at that time because I still had Mo at that time (he has since passed away) who was also a rescue and was aggressive with other adult cats, but I knew him to be friendly with kittens (for some reason.)

Clyde is gigantic, weighing in at nearly 20 pounds. He's not FAT however, he's just huge. I have never seen such large feet on a cat, and he is incredibly long. He chirps rather than meows, so I suspect that he is part Maine Coon. He is VERY talkative and a real lover - seriously. He loves love.

Charlotte is a diva. She has a naturally snotty voice (for a cat) and if you pet her she will often groom the area that you had pet afterward - I think she thinks I am dirty. She ignores me all day, but once I am in bed she asks to snuggle. She likes to be held like a teddy bear until I fall asleep.

Eliot is the only cat I have ever had who wasn't rescued from somewhere. A friend of mine (who lived in Michigan at that time) had a cat who had kittens and she posted the pictures on facebook - it was all over from there. I MADE Nick take me to Michigan to pick Eliot up once he was old enough. He is Clyde's best friend, and still (although he is nearly 3 years old now) tries to nurse on Clyde's belly. He likes foil balls, is very tolerant of my desire to put hats on him, and usually lays across my lap when I am on the computer.

Elphaba is just over 3 years old and has been with me for 2 years now. The woman who used to have her had a nasty habit of going out of town for WEEKS at a time and leaving Elphaba locked out on the balcony. It was summertime and hot and she had no food and water (aside from the food and water I would climb up on a chair to give to her) and there was so much feces on that balcony that you could smell it from quite a distance away. One night I decided that feeding her wasn't good enough - so I got up on the balcony and "stole" her. She was really thin and scared and sickly, so I got her to the vet and got her healthy and kept her. She is still not quite over her "I don't know when I will be fed next" impulse and breaks into my garbage can on occasion - but I forgive her. She's very friendly and no matter what I am doing or where in the apartment I am, she is always right by my side.
All of your cats match their names! So many times, I see animals and their people say, "Oh, his name is Snotrocket!" and I just think "But he looks like a Charlie, not a Snotrocket!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsarecool View Post
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of Beaker!!! I know you did what is best for him!!!

I just returned from the vet for my daughter's cat Jeffrey. Beth noticed a nickle size wound on her hindquarters this afternoon. So I went with her to the clinic with Jeffery on my lap. She is still there and will come back home around 8 pm. She required sedation to stitch up the wound which turned out not to be an animal bite. I have been talking to my daughter for almost four years to keep Jeffrey inside permanently. This is not the first trip to the emergency room for this sweet girl calico who has the softest fur in the world. She will be coming home on antibiotics, pain medication and one of those halo thingies. Beth finally said Jeffery will now be indoors. The vet bill was $300! This cat got sick from something outside last year and the vet bill then was over $500! Roaming free outside is not a safe place for our pets.About the name Jeffrey; Beth was told it was a boy kitten when she adopted Jeffrey. And Beth did not know how to sex a cat. I finally had to break it to her that the cat is a girl.
I think it's lovely that you and your family don't abide by the gender police concerning the naming of your pets. Mimi for a boy and Jeffrey for a girl is fantastic!

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2010, 09:22 PM   #38
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
once in a while someone amazing comes along...and here I am!

Thanked 14,399 Times in 4,049 Posts
Blade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST Reputation

I have and have had all kinds and get them in all sorts of different ways. Rescue, purchase, breed for them, trade for them. Ya never know what I'll come home with next or how I will acquire it. E I E I OOOOOOOOO

The best way to predict the future, is to create it.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blade For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2010, 11:16 PM   #39
Lady Pamela

How Do You Identify?:
A Lady..Femme..Free Spirit with a touch of survivalist woman in me.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Spiritual Warrior..She Ra..Baby Doll, or anything close..ha!
Relationship Status:
In perfect love and perfect trust I believe that will be directed..for now Just friends in my life.

1 Highscore

Location: Live in Utah but take trips to Arkansas. Plan to move there eventually.
Thanked 5,939 Times in 1,609 Posts
Lady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST Reputation

All 5 of my animals right now are rescued animals.

Angel is 17 (Cat)
Belle my most recent rescue (cat) Still healing her from a tramatic assault and stavation..but shes doing better
Samantha (Rat) She is still having issues as well.
Ekock (boy bird) & Halo (girl bird...doing great * Peach face and black nose love birds *

YES THEY ARE ALL MY BABIES AND PART OF THE FAMILY.

When negative thoughts come to mind,
Let them die stillborn.
Speak and do posotive in any situation,
And watch your dreams grow and flurish.
If you can't say anything posotive, Zip it up.
Do not give birth to that which you do not want to see grow.
See it, Believe it, Own it, Have it!
~*~ Lady Pamela ~*~
Lady Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lady Pamela For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2010, 12:09 AM   #40
katsarecool

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Woman
Relationship Status:
Single

So many stories here of abused animals! It makes me sad. But it makes me happy that so many have found good loving homes.

The neighbors kid me about being the Cat Woman and often come to me asking advice about their cats. Several of the former neighbors moved out leaving their just barely kitten to fend for themselves; males intact and females not spayed and so hungry and scared. If I could get away with bitch slapping these women who abandoned all the cats I would slap em good!

When I get up and outside; at least three cats come running over to my house and walk up the sidewalk.

Update on Jeffery; she is home safe and sound with her halo and meds. Sleeping mostly. If my daughter lets her out again I will be pissed off!

I love this thread and all your furr babies! Oh and the babies without furr some are even a bit slimy!