Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 06-15-2010, 08:33 PM   #41
waxnrope
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 5/27/2011
Preferred Pronoun?:
hy ho, hy ho; he, she, it, whatever
Relationship Status:
Going slow ...

Thanked 2,958 Times in 953 Posts
waxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat View Post
My latest install was Qrushr Girls. I think it's more meant for women who are single, but the thing I find awesome about it is that it has a sort of gaydar built into it - it uses your current location and tells you what other lesbians you are near. I wish there were one for LGBTQ that didn't have this weird hookup/relationship energy - but just functioned more in a pride/networky way. I downloaded it to check out how the radar worked though, and there are definitely other people in my area who say, "I'm happy in a relationship - just wanted to be on the map" so it sounds like people are subverting its purpose a bit.

Damnit I want real-ass gaydar on my iphone now.
I thought this was a joke and googled it to see ... um, I can't believe it!
waxnrope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to waxnrope For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #42
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
I tried it. I read a lot. And there are a couple of issues with reading on the iPad. First, it's heavy. Compared to the iPad the kindle is light as a feather and easy to hold in one hand. Even in a bookcase it's lighter. Second, it's back-lit. Which presents a couple of issues. Most notably - just try to read it outside in the sun. Or even on an overcast day. Good luck. Even in a well lit room it can be difficult. Finally, if you read for hours at a time, as I do, you'll wind up with some pretty serious eye fatigue. I'll not give up my Kindle until there's a better reading experience.

The iPad is great for a number of things, reading just isn't one of them.
Hrmm.. That's good to know. I wonder if the 2nd Gen or 3rd Gen will be lighter. I tend to not read outside so the glare issue never would have occurred to me but I wonder if something like this would help?

Perhaps the need for an app that could allow one to read while reducing eye fatigue.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #43
Waldo

How Do You Identify?:
Special Snowflake
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Married

Waldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Hrmm.. That's good to know. I wonder if the 2nd Gen or 3rd Gen will be lighter. I tend to not read outside so the glare issue never would have occurred to me but I wonder if something like this would help?

Perhaps the need for an app that could allow one to read while reducing eye fatigue.
Not sure if it would help or not - it's much like trying to see your iphone in bright sunlight. It's just hard to read it.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:32 AM   #44
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

The iPhone 4 has completely sold out! In other news, I won't be home to accept the package and since FedEx won't change the address, I'm not sure how I go about receiving my phone. I suppose I could pick it up at the depot and use that for my exercise for the day (about 5 miles each way -- heck, could be my exercise for the week! )

The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2010, 11:52 AM   #45
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,098 Times in 2,321 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
Favorite iPhone apps?

Arwen was here last weekend and she kept whipping out her iPhone to "listen" to songs on the radio and her phone would recognize the song!

SHAZAM! I HAD to get it!

Any other favorites?
Oh oh oh ....I gotta get that!

I'm addicted to my Scrabble app. (word nerd!)

And I love the app that transcribes my voice to txt messages!
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2010, 11:57 AM   #46
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freckle-K View Post

And I love the app that transcribes my voice to txt messages!
Can you find out which app that is? I'd be very interested in that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #47
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,098 Times in 2,321 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Can you find out which app that is? I'd be very interested in that.
It's Dragon Dictation by Nuance Communications
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #48
Waldo

How Do You Identify?:
Special Snowflake
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Married

Waldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freckle-K View Post
It's Dragon Dictation by Nuance Communications
Vlingo is the one I use for that. Word.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:05 PM   #49
SassyLeo
Is Grateful

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Thanked 1,584 Times in 622 Posts
SassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancie View Post
I kind of want an iPhone.
I kind of do too, but Verizon has better service and I have a bigger company discount.

I am eyeing some Droid phones
The Following User Says Thank You to SassyLeo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2010, 08:24 PM   #50
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Ok. It's bad that I get the iPhone during a week where I'm up early. I'm playing too much with it! The camera is ok but could be better. I do need a case. I'm afraid to scratch up the glass screen.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:43 PM   #51
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I am a MAC virgin, and find myself desperately wanting an Ipad.

I am afraid I am to lame to convert though.
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:43 PM   #52
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,993 Times in 2,596 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

I discovered today there are several "massager" apps for the iphone - sing the vibrate feature

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #53
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,993 Times in 2,596 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFemme View Post
I am a MAC virgin, and find myself desperately wanting an Ipad.

I am afraid I am to lame to convert though.
You should totally get an ipad.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:10 PM   #54
femmennoir

How Do You Identify?:
femme, naturellement
Preferred Pronoun?:
Elle
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 1,223 Times in 478 Posts
femmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputation

Got word my iPhone 4 was in!

Elle*
femmennoir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to femmennoir For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2010, 08:58 PM   #55
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Welp. My students this week warned me that the iPhone would change everything.. and they were pretty much right. I downloaded some neat apps like RedLaser (allows me to get bar codes and find out where it's cheaper), ColorSplash (see my gallery and the blue flowers for what that does) and JotNot Pro (allows me to use my iPhone as a mini-scanner -- easier expenses!). This thing has been sooooo awesome!

I will say the battery still needs to be better but then again, I'm pushing the envelope on it. I will say that it's nice that AT&T created an app so I can track my usage (minutes and data). I can see what I use daily and if I'm getting near limits.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:05 PM   #56
Waldo

How Do You Identify?:
Special Snowflake
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Married

Linus just get a bumper for it. I'm a minimalist and like a naked phone but finally relented and got a bumper. Pretty happy with it.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:37 PM   #57
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
Linus just get a bumper for it. I'm a minimalist and like a naked phone but finally relented and got a bumper. Pretty happy with it.
I looked at the Bumper but I want some a little more durable for the runs between airport gates, etc. I did get another one so that will come this week.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:52 PM   #58
ButchEire
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanent ban 3/17/2013 - TROLL
Relationship Status:
Partner to my best friend

Thanked 1,874 Times in 485 Posts
ButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST Reputation

I'm a Mac addict too. I have a MacBook Pro 17" and it's OBSESSIVE!!! I use VMWare for Windows emulation and it works just fine.
Wax, you mean Publisher, as in the stripped down version of Adobe Suite? You can run it on VMWare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxnrope View Post
thanks, Linus. I have the macbook pro, so can run windows, but at home, I only use the mac part, the windows is just idle now ... no need for it at all at the moment. I just wish there was Publisher for mac (maybe there is now?), for some reason, I did really well with that app and I do miss it.
ButchEire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ButchEire For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2010, 05:58 PM   #59
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,132 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Welp. My students this week warned me that the iPhone would change everything.. and they were pretty much right. I downloaded some neat apps like RedLaser (allows me to get bar codes and find out where it's cheaper), ColorSplash (see my gallery and the blue flowers for what that does) and JotNot Pro (allows me to use my iPhone as a mini-scanner -- easier expenses!). This thing has been sooooo awesome!

I will say the battery still needs to be better but then again, I'm pushing the envelope on it. I will say that it's nice that AT&T created an app so I can track my usage (minutes and data). I can see what I use daily and if I'm getting near limits.

AT&T will send you a text at 60% and at 90 (maybe 95?)% usage. I'm a pretty heavy user and have yet to go over 2GB in a month. I've hung on to my unlimited usage but those plans are actually not that bad. Loads of customers are happy with it.
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2010, 11:22 PM   #60
Waldo

How Do You Identify?:
Special Snowflake
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Married

Quote:
I looked at the Bumper but I want some a little more durable for the runs between airport gates, etc. I did get another one so that will come this week.
Hrmm?

My old iphone has been naked for six months and tossed in literally dozens of airport bins throughout the world and never got scratched. The bumper keeps the surface of the iPhone off other surfaces so it should suffice. But that being said, get what you're comfy with.