How Do You Identify?:
Hardcore bullheaded grown-ass Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
she loves my shaggy hair

Location: The backroom of a night cafe plotting world domination
Thanked 3,299 Times in 568 Posts
Jett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST Reputation

TomBoi, and I don't "need" labels no, but I'm very proud to be what and who I am. I've labeled myself in many different ways over the years but when you roll everything I am and have been together into one it just always comes out TomBoi... that's just the way it is at the core and the one thing through all my "labeling" that has always been.

A funny- I was in my gf's bathroom the other day getting fixed up after burning myself on a blow torch head-
Me: Wow, you have A LOT of first aid stuff... how come?
Her: Since I got with a TomBoi

xD
Jett
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jett For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #22
Kenna

How Do You Identify?:
Fiery, Sassy, Tough As Nails, Femme Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
I am your favorite hello and hardest goodbye.

Thanked 12,101 Times in 3,757 Posts
Kenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST Reputation

Loved your post Jett.

makes me recall the portable first aid kit and the larger one for bathroom closet that I made - equipped with all kinds of latex free bandages - after going camping with Blade at Lake James....him being a guy that was told by the emergency room doc when getting stitches that it would have helped if he would have "brought all the pieces " of his elbow and me the VERY Tomboy (with a little) Femme mixed in who's more comfortable with mechanical stuff and tools than painted pink fingernails and high heals...
Kenna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenna For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #23
CeriseNin

How Do You Identify?:
stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
a dragon's damsel

CeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeest View Post
Labels can definitely be useful, but......... we have to remember that they are only general descriptions and not fully accurate.

As far as marriage goes, that produces legal and financial advantages that we are being denied, though straight people are not. This, to my mind, is wrong.

There are other things that we need, as a culture, though, that have been denied to us, this is absolutely certain. We shouldn't be subject to being fired or harrassed, simply because of our orientation or gender status. Nor should we have to put up with discrimination anywhere, because of this. Unfortunately, we still get this in our lives, and it is totally wrong. This needs to be changed.
Well said. I use them (stone femme, lesbian) as jumping off points. How much detail I go into depends on the person/people I'm talking to.
CeriseNin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CeriseNin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2012, 06:26 AM   #24
yotlyolqualli

How Do You Identify?:
submissive femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
moving forward and not looking back... anything is possible!

Thanked 1,271 Times in 184 Posts
yotlyolqualli Has the BEST Reputationyotlyolqualli Has the BEST Reputationyotlyolqualli Has the BEST Reputationyotlyolqualli Has the BEST Reputationyotlyolqualli Has the BEST Reputationyotlyolqualli Has the BEST Reputationyotlyolqualli Has the BEST Reputationyotlyolqualli Has the BEST Reputationyotlyolqualli Has the BEST Reputationyotlyolqualli Has the BEST Reputationyotlyolqualli Has the BEST Reputation

I used to identify as femme, till I came here.

Now I identify as a submissive femme, with a disqualifier, lol. I am only submissive to one person. ONLY.

I've discovered, through no conscious decision of my own, that I am also heteronormative and while that word being flung in my face at first confused me (didn't know what the hell it was) then angered me (because it was thrown in my face) I began to embrace it.

I suppose, if semantics were what was truly the argument about labels, I should be identifying myself as a lesbian submissive heternormative wife... that way people could identify me as

A)lesbian
B)submissive (wife) (wife being the disqualifier)
C) heternomative

Then again, and having posted all that I did, very tongue in cheek, I think the only label I am truly comfortable with, is Malissa Jane, the name my Mother gave to me. Everything after that truly is semantics and while I do understand the need for labels, I also think that we're missing the oppurtunity to truly get to know someone for themselves, and not the "label" that's only printed on their forehead on online forums.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #25
bcelly1894
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
sb
Relationship Status:
Single

bcelly1894 Has the BEST Reputationbcelly1894 Has the BEST Reputationbcelly1894 Has the BEST Reputationbcelly1894 Has the BEST Reputationbcelly1894 Has the BEST Reputationbcelly1894 Has the BEST Reputationbcelly1894 Has the BEST Reputationbcelly1894 Has the BEST Reputationbcelly1894 Has the BEST Reputationbcelly1894 Has the BEST Reputationbcelly1894 Has the BEST Reputation

I call myself a soft butch, teddybear dominant.
I added on the TeddyBear part because of my short fat size, And alot of my behaviour and ways of thinking always seem to mimic the definitions and characteristics of the gay male Bear. Along with the fact that most femmes just kept calling me a sweet, cuddly teddybear, Hearing that made me feel like a child, So, I embraced it instead, And it just stuck.
Growing up in a big city, I only stayed around butches who were more manly looking and acting, And to them, I was always slightly less butch than them, But with an extremely dominant and stubborn nature. So, still butch anyway.
bcelly1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bcelly1894 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2012, 11:51 PM   #26
Angeltoes

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Nunya

Thanked 5,525 Times in 1,386 Posts
Angeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST Reputation

There are so many things I'm still trying to figure out. It's frustrating when people assume that I'm bisexual because I'm definitely not. It's fine if someone doesn't get you but it's not okay when they tell you who you are.

I guess lesbian/femme makes the most sense for me now. I don't know why we need the labels. It's a shame that we can't just get to know each other without caring about sexual compatibility right away.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:00 AM   #27
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,800 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeltoes View Post
There are so many things I'm still trying to figure out. It's frustrating when people assume that I'm bisexual because I'm definitely not. It's fine if someone doesn't get you but it's not okay when they tell you who you are.

I guess lesbian/femme makes the most sense for me now. I don't know why we need the labels. It's a shame that we can't just get to know each other without caring about sexual compatibility right away.
I don't think sexual compatibility has a whole lot to do with labels. Maybe on some level but this is not a dating site, per se, though plenty of us have coupled at one time or another by meeting someone here.

I can only speak for me. Out in the world, unless I specifically come out as a lesbian, no one knows that I am. Ditto as a femme. I just look like one more straight woman to others that see me. Oh, unless I am with a butch and all of a sudden the gears turn in their head and there is the recognition of who and what I am.

I have often felt it somewhat lonely when by myself to not have that recognition.

Here, that lesbian identity which was hard-won and hard-fought, first through my own self-acceptance, next acceptance by family and friends; can be proudly listed. If I could do it out in the RW, I would.

It is my identity. It signifies a very big part of who I am as a person, who I fall in love with and who I make love with. I am, of course many other things: mother, grandmother, nurse, feminist, etc. but lesbianism is the core of me.

I am grateful and glad I get to say it outloud here on the Planet.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2012, 01:08 AM   #28
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

I am a human who happens to be connected to all other humans in one way or the other, and my name is Jesse. I'm good with that.
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #29
LipstickLola

How Do You Identify?:
Happy
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 1,597 Times in 433 Posts
LipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anya* View Post
I don't think sexual compatibility has a whole lot to do with labels. Maybe on some level but this is not a dating site, per se, though plenty of us have coupled at one time or another by meeting someone here.

I can only speak for me. Out in the world, unless I specifically come out as a lesbian, no one knows that I am. Ditto as a femme. I just look like one more straight woman to others that see me. Oh, unless I am with a butch and all of a sudden the gears turn in their head and there is the recognition of who and what I am.

I have often felt it somewhat lonely when by myself to not have that recognition.

Here, that lesbian identity which was hard-won and hard-fought, first through my own self-acceptance, next acceptance by family and friends; can be proudly listed. If I could do it out in the RW, I would.

It is my identity. It signifies a very big part of who I am as a person, who I fall in love with and who I make love with. I am, of course many other things: mother, grandmother, nurse, feminist, etc. but lesbianism is the core of me.

I am grateful and glad I get to say it outloud here on the Planet.
Exactly! I could have written every word!

LipstickLola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LipstickLola For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #30
Vivacious1

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme
Relationship Status:
taken

3 Highscores

Vivacious1 Has the BEST ReputationVivacious1 Has the BEST ReputationVivacious1 Has the BEST ReputationVivacious1 Has the BEST ReputationVivacious1 Has the BEST ReputationVivacious1 Has the BEST ReputationVivacious1 Has the BEST ReputationVivacious1 Has the BEST ReputationVivacious1 Has the BEST ReputationVivacious1 Has the BEST ReputationVivacious1 Has the BEST Reputation

I identify as "femme". I don't use this term to fit in, I use it because it is where I fit. As long as I can remember this is where I fit. Even when I was a little girl it was in my blood. In my opinion, I don't believe that it is a matter of "needing" this label, but I guess I would more describe it as a way to tell another about me in one word. I know that there are many varieties of every label but I don't find it important for myself to break it down any further. I am femme, proud and own everything that the word stands for.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #31
DanieClarke
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
14 yrs post op
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey you
Relationship Status:
single

DanieClarke Has the BEST ReputationDanieClarke Has the BEST ReputationDanieClarke Has the BEST ReputationDanieClarke Has the BEST ReputationDanieClarke Has the BEST ReputationDanieClarke Has the BEST ReputationDanieClarke Has the BEST ReputationDanieClarke Has the BEST ReputationDanieClarke Has the BEST ReputationDanieClarke Has the BEST ReputationDanieClarke Has the BEST Reputation

we need labels to know what the ingrediants are

sheesh thats easy

ohhh wait you mean people labels

hmmm
DanieClarke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DanieClarke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #32
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

Thanked 9,727 Times in 1,613 Posts
imperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
What's your label, how did you come up with that label and do you need a label?
well label in terms of my desire and how I position myself in the queer community...

this is a bit difficult.

When I lived in Canada and I dated in canada and the US, it was really useful to have a label because most of my local community did not recognise me as a dyke. So being able to say "yes I am one, I'm a FEMME (type of lesbian that other lesbians could actually recognise the term for, even if they didn't like it or disagreed with it, or misunderstood it, at least I could start that conversation)" was incredibly helpful

However I did not go looking for a label/ID, it found me. I didn't have a context for who I was when I was coming out. I found a web page in 1999 of a girl who was describe a relationship she was having with someone and how sexually different it was to lesbian sex as she understood it. Everything popped into place for me when I read her site.

that's what I was doing. ohhhhhhh....

When I move to London (uk) 9 years ago, everything changed. I was seen. I didn't have fight anymore about being a lesbian. I just was. No one gave a shit. I could be a lesbian without fighting for it, dykes chatted me up in a tube station - first time ever, in a public space, anyone recognised me as a dyke and flirted with me. The lesbian clubs had WADS of femminine girls in little black dresses putting on lipstick in the loo. No one asked me if I was bisexual in a club. If I said I loved dykes, I loved dykes and no one argued with me.

Through time, I had friends who were in what I would have called butch-femme relationships. But they didn't bother. It's not that they didn't recognise they were butch and femme... it's that the labeling of the relationship was considered socially pointless. Since no one wanted to know what you did behind closed doors and it had nothing to do with the conversation at the pub or the dinner you were having, it made it redundant to talk about.

you use a strap on and have a cock sometimes? *shrug* good for you. I'm more interested in the movie you went to see two nights ago, how was that?

the *only* time those terms became important really was when we were looking for a date. And then it became clear that I wasn't self definining my gender presentation but merely my desire of someone else's.

When I moved out of london and into the "countryside", the term butch and femme are just not really used. So I didn't have a word to use for my desire anymore. I had to start having awkward conversations with people to find out
1) if they liked the idea of using a strap on
2) if they sometimes enjoy the thought of maybe sometimes having a dick, as well as a vagina
Before I slept with them so as to not offend them if/when that should happen and to not waste TOO much time "getting to know someone" in a sexy way and finding out it's really a no go.

It's at this point that I understood how useful terms were. I started calling it "women with the requisite parts" so as not to bring in pre-judgement about what a butch was.

I still have exes, that say "ok, under your definition I'm butch. And I love being butch for you. I'll agree to that. But really, I'm not a butch" (the years of thinking a butch is a woman with backwards social skills wearing a polo shirt with the collar up who tells sexist jokes and drinks a lot of lager). Ok whatever. Just be who you are, you know how I see you and you enjoy that one-one relationship to the term with me and lets just leave it at that.

I don't need a label for who I am but I definitely need a label for my desire. So, conversely I need a label for others with a specific desire in order for them to find me. That's all I "need" it for. If I was a lesbian that loved all kinds of women, I could just leave it at that one label - lezzo.

But my desire is more narrow than that. So I need a name for it, or for what I'm looking for in order to have a conversation. it's kind of like going into a a restaurant with no menu and no words for the dishes. You'd have to tell them what ingredients to use, and how it's prepared. If I said "Burger" there's 1,000's of ways a burger is prepared but at least we have a starting point of understanding that I can then say "I like it lamb burger, medium rare, no mint sauce, with salad toppings, and some sharp cheese. whole wheat bun. Ta."

The label is there to start the conversation. Me saying "I'm femme" means a generic few things, but not many. But it gets the ball rolling in the general ball park. Just like being a dyke helps me to tell someone which ball park in town I'm using.

I don't care if people use an ID or not. I'd prefer that they themselves didn't really give too much of a fig about it because if I'm with someone that qualifies eveything as butchthis or femmethat or butchblahblah or femmmewhatsists... it's going to irritate me. I don't gender label my friends or my activities cause I just don't. I'm used to not bothering talking about it much anymore and just being in a state of who I am - femme. and it kind of ending there. Just like I don't sexualise eveything into lezzothis and dykethat.... I'm just a dyke. I'm just a femmedyke that likes women who have vaginas and cocks who like to wear means clothes in stylish and fun ways, who wear eyeliner and have scruffy hair and like to screw my brains out like the girl that I am. And sometimes like me to sexually treat their genitals as if they were female or sometimes male. Or sometimes both at the same time. And it's nice if they like to be kind of protective and gentleman-womanly to me. Cuddle me and tell me I'm safe.

I call that butch. but it doesn't have to be called that. It just makes it easier for me to find them, that's all.
imperfect_cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imperfect_cupcake For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #33
BstlMyhart

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Relationship Status:
Single

BstlMyhart Has the BEST ReputationBstlMyhart Has the BEST ReputationBstlMyhart Has the BEST ReputationBstlMyhart Has the BEST ReputationBstlMyhart Has the BEST ReputationBstlMyhart Has the BEST ReputationBstlMyhart Has the BEST ReputationBstlMyhart Has the BEST ReputationBstlMyhart Has the BEST ReputationBstlMyhart Has the BEST ReputationBstlMyhart Has the BEST Reputation

I never used any kind of "label" until I started coming online many years ago and finding community chat rooms and sites. I've never been one to try to fit in anywhere...either you like me and want to be friends...or you don't.

I have and will always be...Gen. I use "butch" as my label not for myself but for others trying to figure out "what" I am. And since I don't have a feminine bone in my body...this seemed to fit.

Those who really want to know ME can always engage in a conversation and simply just ask what they want to know.

I do open doors, pull out chairs, remove my hat, kiss hands..etc. I don't know if those are traits of a label...just who I am. I also cook, clean, do laundry, iron...etc. Does that make me not "butch"? I don't think so. I am also a caregiver, protector, a great "cheerleader" for those who are important to me as they face and conquer their life challenges. I will offer you a comforting embrace, a shoulder to lean or cry on, a willing ear to listen to all that troubles you when you need me, and hold you watching you sleep and do my best to keep the bad dreams away that are plaguing you.

Also, I don't NEED to be the dominant person in the relationship. I enjoy femmes with their own minds, intelligent, their own person inside and out. She will always know that I will be there for HER anytime and in any way she needs or wants.

All this...and more of WHO I am...labels me as....ME

BstlMyhart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BstlMyhart For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2013, 12:28 AM   #34
~baby~doll~

How Do You Identify?:
femme-bottom, lesbian, queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
feminine ones
Relationship Status:
Leather polyamorous family

Thanked 2,855 Times in 905 Posts
~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Gender labels begin now before we are born, since parents usually know what we seem to be. We either have a vagina or a penis so this makes us a girl or boy. I am not certain this is true. Over the last several years I examined many articles and how my own life has played out. I discovered for me gender is what I think, not what the body appears to be. I am in a female body. Does this make me fit into the role society has elected (without my vote) I should follow. I think not. I would say most of us here, oh all of us here, do not really fit this idea of assigned gender roles.
When I was young I was required to wear a dress to school. I hated it from as early as I can remember. Oh but I have a vagina and should love that little pink frock with tea roses and the white pinafore, this could not be further from the truth.
Today I identify most closely with the term Third Gender Queer I am mentally neither of societies idea of gender. I am happy as I am and have no desire to alter myself.
We move onto the next label which is orientation. Yikes, so much to consider. Do I like guys, well not straight guys (there is a bad history). Do I like girls/woman yes! I feel sexually and romantically attracted to them. I am speaking exclusively here. Does this make me a lesbian, only if, we accept the vagina and penis indicator of gender. We left this theory by the side of the road so if not a lesbian what am I?
We are talking labels here. I am gynesexual/gyneromantic as I am exclusively drawn to women. I am drawn more to the relationship then the sex. Oh the sex is great, but I need that relationship building first and really need to feel love.
Okay I am getting there.
Quote:
A demisexual is a person who does not experience sexual attraction unless they form a strong emotional connection with someone. It's more commonly seen in but by no means confined to romantic relationships. The term demisexual comes from the orientation being "halfway between" sexual and asexual.
http://www.asexuality.org/wiki/index...tle=Demisexual
This quote is stated very well and describes me very well. So let's look at the label and see what it turns out to be.
Third Gender Queer Gynesexual/romantic Demisexual, oh, to this we should add Polyamorous. "My good gosh does this one ever stop." If you mash this mouthful of words together you know who I am.
The list of genders and orientations grows daily. We can expect more and more as the years pass until our label could be so long we would not want to have to write it out.
So for the sake of simplicity and the fact labels really do not tell the story, the people do. Queer, dyke, butch, lesbian all work for me. I am me as are we all and this is what makes us who we are. We live the mental gender and orientation we think and feel. Hugs loves
Uh Huh Her
~baby~doll~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:07 PM   #35
lisa93

How Do You Identify?:
femme

lisa93 is on a distinguished road

I believe it's all a matter of personal preference.
lisa93 is offline   Reply With Quote