Old 05-06-2017, 07:43 AM   #1
Gypsy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
single

Gypsy Has the BEST ReputationGypsy Has the BEST ReputationGypsy Has the BEST ReputationGypsy Has the BEST ReputationGypsy Has the BEST ReputationGypsy Has the BEST ReputationGypsy Has the BEST ReputationGypsy Has the BEST ReputationGypsy Has the BEST ReputationGypsy Has the BEST ReputationGypsy Has the BEST Reputation
Question Not wanting to use labels

Not wanting to offend anyone, this is a question I've wondered on for a while and since I've never seen it here am feeling safe to ask here.

Why do people join butch/femme groups and then say they don't like labels or don't use labels. In a butch/femme group it is saying up front that it uses labels. I just read one post of how she doesn't use labels and she isn't looking for someone who does...so why would she join a butch/femme group? And I noticed she's belonged to the group for 5 months. It boggles my mind and I hope someone can explain it to me. Thank you!
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gypsy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 10:10 AM   #2
IrishAmazon

How Do You Identify?:
Hey Lady!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ms.
Relationship Status:
Dancing in the sunshine and rain.

IrishAmazon Has the BEST ReputationIrishAmazon Has the BEST ReputationIrishAmazon Has the BEST ReputationIrishAmazon Has the BEST ReputationIrishAmazon Has the BEST ReputationIrishAmazon Has the BEST ReputationIrishAmazon Has the BEST ReputationIrishAmazon Has the BEST ReputationIrishAmazon Has the BEST ReputationIrishAmazon Has the BEST ReputationIrishAmazon Has the BEST Reputation

I am not a fan of labels, because they have usually been issued by others. I really don’t want someone else issuing me one to put me in a cell, I do understand the reason we use them even though I am opposed to the cell.

I want the freedom to be who ever I am or need to be at that moment in time.

I also appreciate the help that labels give us a start to begin to recognize each other, by the labels we chose for ourselves.

When I initially found this place I knew it was special, I had not identified as femme or butch. Lesbian or queer was my personal view at the time. I did very much enjoy the intelligence that I saw here, the openness and inclusive that was encouraged. And a place to find the vantage points of others minds. I loved the way so many were so open to expressing sometimes very personal experiences or feelings.

My own personal definitions for my self have naturally transitioned over the years I am always in aww of the people that just always known them selves or where they felt at home.

It maybe that that also just enjoy the space or the company that these wonderful souls offer.

What ever her reasons, I know that for myself I would be very gladly want to answer a question that I had caused some one else to wonder about. I think you should ask her, you may open up an avenue for her to explore that she's just never discovered until she had reason to give it words.

IrishAmazon
IrishAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to IrishAmazon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 12:29 PM   #3
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

I started ID'ing as femme over thirty years ago, and what it means for me has changed. I am not hyper feminine. Nor am I androgynous. Certainly not masculine. Initially it was about who I was most attracted to -- butch women. Over time, it has meant and expressed my identity in various ways. I was always proud of the ID until things started changing a little over ten years ago. I started getting gender policed within the community, by both femmes and butches. I was not performing femme in a feminine enough or queerly femme enough fashion. I was in no way going to change the way I perform gender to meet some changing exterior norm. Not at my age. Hell, I looked and dressed like a bazillion straight women who didn't have their gender expression critiqued. At some point I became less attached to the identity. I was like if this is what it is, it's not me. I know there are all kinds of femmes, but I don't like people making assumptions about me the minute I announce that I am femme. I don't want to explain or educate. For more than twenty years, what femme meant in the culture and what I am were pretty congruent. And then suddenly they weren't. And not because I changed. HB had some great posts about how she is expected to be when she announces she's femme in the States. I detect a little change back in the direction of a wider understanding of femme, but I've already loosened my hold on the ID, and I can't imagine what, at my age, would cause me to re-identify strongly. So, yes, I am femme. Still femme. But I don't fly the flag because what it means to most queer folk is just not me.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:50 PM   #4
Mel C.
Long-time Member

How Do You Identify?:
WIB - woman identified butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your choice...not really a button for me
Relationship Status:
♡ married 1/1/2019♡

Thanked 6,840 Times in 1,621 Posts
Mel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST Reputation

Labels come with expectations. I don't always want to be defined by how someone else interprets a label. If someone wants to get to know me, they can start a conversation. They can then try to put me in whatever teeny tiny boxes they choose. Why should I put myself into boxes to make it easier for other people?
Mel C. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mel C. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 04:12 PM   #5
Breathless
Brat Extraordinaire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Happy

3 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 23

Thanked 4,101 Times in 958 Posts
Breathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST Reputation

I am one too, who dislikes the 'labels' In my opinion, we/ or generally people tend to believe that once they take a label that - that is who they are, but rather what is accurate is that you define the label, it does not define you! Growing, learning, evolving is what true personal success is about- in my opinion. You only get one go at this life, live it like it's yours in your best ever growing changing label of you. Living your life in someone else's definition is a jail sentence.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:51 PM   #6
A. Spectre

How Do You Identify?:
Butch dominant lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Baby Boi
Relationship Status:
She is my sunrise and sunset.

Thanked 10,783 Times in 1,440 Posts
A. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST Reputation

I may be in the minority, but I don't mind my personal "label" as it were.

I am a Butch, lesbian. I love and adore femme lesbians.
A. Spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to A. Spectre For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 05:45 PM   #7
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,781 Times in 4,469 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

I definitely identify as Butch. That is why I am here in the first place. Other people have different meanings for butch than I do and that's just fine. Also, for those who have ridiculous pre-conceived notions about butch - like we have to all be good at car mechanics or something - then I just laugh it off. I don't find the "label" or "gender identity" or Butch to be confining at all. Quite the opposite. It is a fine tuning of who I am and is very meaningful to me. I'm also not gender fluid or someone who is constantly changing when it comes to my gender identity and sexuality and I am happy that way.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 06:03 PM   #8
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

i dont feel that because we joined a BF site, we have to be labeled as anything to please anyone.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 06:46 PM   #9
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,958 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Although there are many people here who identify in many different ways, I am a lover of the butch/femme dance, and I am my own brand of femme. I am married to a butch, who does butch as she sees butch to be.

Whether or not you care for labels or the boxes people want to squeeze you into, when you feel that "energy" that compliments your own, then you know why there will always be " the dance".
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 09:14 PM   #10
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,800 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

I don't dislike labels at all.

At this site, we identify that we prefer butch/femme. Those are labels aren't they?

Within that circle, many of us define ourselves even further.

I don't begrudge anyone their own specific orientation, gender or attraction. We are attracted to who we are.

I am a lesbian femme and am attracted to butch lesbians.

It just is.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 07:56 PM   #11
lisa93

How Do You Identify?:
femme

lisa93 is on a distinguished road

I'm assuming to avoid being put in a box.
lisa93 is offline   Reply With Quote