Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > Singles Mingle

Old 03-10-2010, 09:56 PM   #61
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

I guess it depends on how you take the test, Allison. You might already know this, but I probably should have mentioned it for everyone. People are supposed to blaze through it, yanno? It's most accurate when you don't think about it, when you just go quickly through and say, this fits better, that fits better, this fits better, etc.

The type inventory isn't meant to assign motives, btw; it's meant to discover how one processes information and makes decisions. It isn't a matter so much what a person likes as what a person sustains... I myself like being organized--LOVE being organized--but I cannot sustain it; I have to work at orderliness and it really IS work for me, because my brain just isn't wired to sustain it; I have other strengths instead.

To the more personal part of your post, I can understand completely the nightmare of being with someone who can never make a decision. I've been there, and it wasn't easy.

What strikes me is that you mention twice "uncontrolled emotions" and I'm not sure I understand that. Most people I know who are NFPs are pretty happy with their emotional life and don't seem to have problems with control, unless they are letting other people define their emotions as wrong or bad somehow... and also, most people I know who are NFPs don't have a lot of trouble making decisions unless they have unrealistic expectations of themselves--you know, that need to be perfect and get it absolutely right so you never make a mistake? But that plagues people of all personality types, I think, not just NFPs.

Anyhow, I'm just sharing my thoughts and I hope you don't feel like I'm putting you on the spot; I don't mean to. I figure you know yourself and you know what you're looking for. *soft smile*
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #62
Allison W

How Do You Identify?:
TG Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Loner

Thanked 1,198 Times in 320 Posts
Allison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
I guess it depends on how you take the test, Allison. You might already know this, but I probably should have mentioned it for everyone. People are supposed to blaze through it, yanno? It's most accurate when you don't think about it, when you just go quickly through and say, this fits better, that fits better, this fits better, etc.

The type inventory isn't meant to assign motives, btw; it's meant to discover how one processes information and makes decisions. It isn't a matter so much what a person likes as what a person sustains... I myself like being organized--LOVE being organized--but I cannot sustain it; I have to work at orderliness and it really IS work for me, because my brain just isn't wired to sustain it; I have other strengths instead.

To the more personal part of your post, I can understand completely the nightmare of being with someone who can never make a decision. I've been there, and it wasn't easy.

What strikes me is that you mention twice "uncontrolled emotions" and I'm not sure I understand that. Most people I know who are NFPs are pretty happy with their emotional life and don't seem to have problems with control, unless they are letting other people define their emotions as wrong or bad somehow... and also, most people I know who are NFPs don't have a lot of trouble making decisions unless they have unrealistic expectations of themselves--you know, that need to be perfect and get it absolutely right so you never make a mistake? But that plagues people of all personality types, I think, not just NFPs.

Anyhow, I'm just sharing my thoughts and I hope you don't feel like I'm putting you on the spot; I don't mean to. I figure you know yourself and you know what you're looking for. *soft smile*
I can't blaze through it. The problem is that it asks many questions for which I honestly have absolutely nothing to say off the top of my head. That, and so many of them are meaningless without context, like asking if you want a fork or a spoon without specifying what you're eating. It may as well be gibberish; I'd rather have a paper test where I can scribble in "I don't have an answer for this question; no, it's not that I don't want to say the answer I'm thinking; I have no opinion, and I'm not making one up for you." And no, I don't make decisions well; very trivial decisions paralyze me on a regular basis.

As far as emotions go, I'm very poor at controlling mine. I also consider feelings a fast track to making short-sighted, terrible decisions. Many descriptions I've heard of the thinking vs. feeling axis, however, have absolutely nothing to do with how a person makes decisions and only what they decide, which is a question of values, not rationality vs. emotionality.

The more I think about it, the more I want to finish my accountancy two-year, because bookkeeping is one of the few situations I've found in which I can stop intuiting, stop feeling, and stop needing to make decisions; it has a very zen quality to it.
Allison W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:28 PM   #63
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

It sounds like that's just not the right kind of tool for you then, Allison. That would be really frustrating to be unable to relate to so many of the questions! A few of them leave me saying "eh, next please!" but never very many, so it works pretty well for me. Maybe there is something out there that would work better for you.

About the emotions and decisions, coming out of an abusive childhood left me woefully inadequate at understanding and dealing with my own. I found a lot of help in therapy--which I really needed because of the abuse!--but even more help in assertiveness training classes. Then I was lucky enough to find a workbook that had a really helpful decision-making module. That was 1983; as far as I can remember it was called Choices for Women, but I cannot find it anymore. I remember they had a scenario with Cinderella dumping the lazy Prince and opening a shoe store with the Fairy Godmother, lol... (oh my gosh, a web search on that title mostly brings up abortion clinics today!)

Anyhow, since I cannot find it, I found a web site about decision making. I like this one very much, and this quote about the decision not being judged by the outcome is the same kind of quote that set me free in the Choices workbook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Introduction to Decision Making
Good decisions that result in bad outcomes should thus not be cause for guilt or recrimination. If you decide to take the scenic route based on what you know of the road (reasonably safe, not heavily traveled) and your preferences (minimal risk, prefer scenery over early arrival), then your decision is a good one, even though you might happen to get in an accident, or have a flat tire in the middle of nowhere. It is not justified to say, "Well, this was a bad decision."
http://www.virtualsalt.com/crebook5.htm

I think that applies as much to the decisions we might make about choosing partners as it does to anything else, yanno? If we approach a potential partner with our eyes open and knowing what we both need and want in a partner, and they seem to be a perfect fit, if it doesn't work out down the road it isn't that we made a bad decision--we just had the equivalent of a car accident or flat tire. *some of mine were train wrecks, oy!*

I've been thinking about it while I was reading the decision making website, and something occurs to me. Do you think you might be a Highly Sensitive Person? Some of what you describe seems to fit that. Here's a link to learn more. http://www.hsperson.com/
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:53 PM   #64
fuzzypinkego

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her majesty
Relationship Status:
Open for wooing

fuzzypinkego Has the BEST Reputationfuzzypinkego Has the BEST Reputationfuzzypinkego Has the BEST Reputationfuzzypinkego Has the BEST Reputationfuzzypinkego Has the BEST Reputationfuzzypinkego Has the BEST Reputationfuzzypinkego Has the BEST Reputationfuzzypinkego Has the BEST Reputationfuzzypinkego Has the BEST Reputationfuzzypinkego Has the BEST Reputationfuzzypinkego Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
I just gotta say, I think this thread is a thing of beauty. A young woman put a thought out there that she is pondering and people responded in a thoughtful, positive, supportive, non-condescending way. How refreshing. Truly.

Jake...who loves it when people share their life experiences and wisdom in an open, honest way.
I know! I appreciate everyone so much. My life isn't easy, but it's mine and I love it. I love my art, my career, my passions, my friends and my family... it's just that sometimes I wish I had that special person to share it with.
fuzzypinkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:01 AM   #65
Legendryder

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Single

Legendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST ReputationLegendryder Has the BEST Reputation

I have been single for 6 years now, and haven't even dated anyone in that time. I just can't see doing that right now, I do not have the time to put into the work it takes to make a relationship function. I am a full time student, and a small business owner, so my days are full to the brim with things that are important to me. I really can't say I have missed anything. And besides, I have Bob. With Bob around, you just can't help but be in a good mood.
Legendryder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Legendryder For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2010, 06:00 AM   #66
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
The original lime-twisted femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to most things, especially lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

Thanked 11,425 Times in 2,978 Posts
NJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison W View Post
Even though I consistently get typed as a feeler (which, I suppose, should say something about how much these personality metrics actually matter), I know enough to understand that my short-term impulses rarely have anything to do with what will make me happy in the long run, and I don't want to get into junk relationships just because I'm lonely and can't control my emotions.

Guardian = SJ, Artisan = SP, Idealist = NF (my type, though I go against the grain in many places), Rational = NT. While I'm an INFP, you're right that I like Js; both of the serious relationships I had I ended because my partner wouldn't make decisions and left them to me, resulting in my deciding to walk. I, however, would say I'd lean not towards NTJs but STJs (if with the physical focus of the SP), which would put them in the Guardian category (necessarily masculine manifestation, given the way Guardians allegedly vary the most in behaviour depending upon gender role compared to the other types), not the Rational category. I don't want someone who's no better at controlling their emotions or making decisions than I am. That is the subject of my worst nightmares.
You are over analyzing, and I must add - far too much.
But hey, whatever works for you.

Peace out.

NJFemmie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NJFemmie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2010, 10:51 AM   #67
adorable

How Do You Identify?:
Sarcastically
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 2,645 Times in 590 Posts
adorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputation

I read this article in Ebony a while back. It really covers everything pretty well without over complicating things. It's the top ten ways to tell if he's the one ~ but it's a pretty universal list ~ I think it works for everyone in any direction.

This is the link to the article:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=content;col1
adorable is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adorable For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2010, 12:32 PM   #68
Allison W

How Do You Identify?:
TG Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Loner

Thanked 1,198 Times in 320 Posts
Allison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFemmie View Post
You are over analyzing, and I must add - far too much.
But hey, whatever works for you.

Peace out.
Analysis is my blessing. It's what keeps me from making the horrible decisions that my parents made before me (and that others around me continue to make, for that matter). Without it, I'd have nothing.

So yes, "over-analyzing" does work for me. It has yet to let me down. Fleeting emotions lead me to make bad decisions often--sometimes catastrophically.
Allison W is offline   Reply With Quote