Sam
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 2/11/2011
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
I'll let you know

Sam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow Mom: Hospital To Blame For Son’s Suicide

Only In the A-T-L

Mom: Hospital To Blame For Son’s Suicide
Posted: 3:42 pm EST November 16, 2009
Updated: 9:14 pm EST November 16, 2009

ATLANTA -- A mother has filed a lawsuit against Northside Hospital blaming it for the death of her son.
Meredith Carmichael wants to know why her son, who was taken to Northside Hospital more than a year ago and put under suicide watch, was able to shoot himself in the head with a gun he brought to the hospital.
READ: Suicide Lawsuit
"He was my only child, any mother would feel that way,” said Carmichael.
Carmichael's attorney, Don Keenan, said Frank Lindstrom, 44, was drinking and despondent following the breakup of relationship with a girlfriend and agreed to let police take him to Northside Hospital in Sept. 2008.
"Shortly after midnight, within being there just a matter of minutes, they put a suicide watch on him,” said Keenan,
Northside Hospital failed to follow established guidelines for at risk patients, which includes constant observation and search for weapons, and they didn’t find the .38 revolver he took the hospital, according to Keenan.
“A weapon this large, should have easily been found, was not, and he was in the hospital under that suicide watch for fully six hours,” said Keenan.
Keenan said that Lindstrom was alone in the examination room when he shot himself in the head. He died five days later.
“They could have prevented it, of course they could have. He cried out for help and they did not help him,” said Carmichael.
Lindstrom’s mother said he was not prone to depression and never had mentioned thoughts of suicide or any violent outbursts.
“He could have just as easy killed a doctor or a nurse or a patient. Thank God he didn’t do that,” said Carmichael.
Carmichael did not ask for specific damages. A spokesman for Northside Hospital said the hospital cannot comment on pending litigation.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:59 PM   #2
Vlasta
BFP Sentinels

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 1,002 Times in 286 Posts
Vlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST Reputation

hi .... to be perfectly honest I am not surprised . ...Northside it's not a good hospital except if you need to deliver baby. I was new to Atlanta and I already work for the Emory when one day I got a phone call from director of ER . I am not sure how she got my phone number , but I assumed from some medical website where I posted my resume .

Anyway , I was working part time for Emory doing my own schedule . I was not familiar with Northside ... this lady want me to come work for her ....I thought about it for a couple days and then I said why not maybe it will be a new experience . I agreed to work PRN ( when need it ) as I said just to see . I lasted six weeks which included two weeks notice . They couldn't handle anything . ER people must have basic things such as IV team .They couldn't handle code ( Dr. 99) , I witnessed 17 yr old boy die and I knew there was more that could been done for him , but I was not a doctor to giving orders , neither I had power to override his orders . I simply had to go .

In addition , at Emory I am out without any harassment , but at Northside you couldn't say word gay much less to be one .
Vlasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:26 PM   #3
Vlasta
BFP Sentinels

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Vlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST ReputationVlasta Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackhammer View Post
I'm wondering why the Police Officer didn't check him for weapons,
you'd think that we be part of the protocol before loading him into the squad car.

Man, that's just sad.
Jack .. you are right it is protocol ... when I work in SC for year I was the nurse manager for detox and medical psychiatry . I learned a lot and it helped me so much to deal with a different population. Almost on daily bases I dealt with police officers , investigators and detectives . It was a true learning experience just not for me with a critical backround .
Old 11-17-2009, 05:29 AM   #4
Sam
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 2/11/2011
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
I'll let you know

Sam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST Reputation

There are not many things that surprise me when it comes to the IDIOTS in ATL.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:11 AM   #5
PoeticWitch

How Do You Identify?:
Queer... that is all you get
Preferred Pronoun?:
um... she.. I think... *shrug* call me anything that pleases ya
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,131 Times in 377 Posts
PoeticWitch Has the BEST ReputationPoeticWitch Has the BEST ReputationPoeticWitch Has the BEST ReputationPoeticWitch Has the BEST ReputationPoeticWitch Has the BEST ReputationPoeticWitch Has the BEST ReputationPoeticWitch Has the BEST ReputationPoeticWitch Has the BEST ReputationPoeticWitch Has the BEST ReputationPoeticWitch Has the BEST ReputationPoeticWitch Has the BEST Reputation

as far as the police go here is a lil story on how they normally transfer "mental" patients... from personal experience

police were sent to my house because I was supposedly suicidal... I happen to know if I go with them willingly and admit myself of my own free will I will not be put on a 72 hr hold... so I go... but i am transported in an ambulance.. that is normal procedure for any patient... I asked why when the police could have very well taken me... answer was.. How do they know I hadn't already taken something to kill myself... the police know basic first aid for the most part... but if I went into seizures what would they be able to do if I am locked up in the back of a car? also... what happens if I am being transported in a police car and I decide I want to take them with me in my attempt on my own life.. though most police cars have cages...

because of the fact that I went willingly I was not searched... you are right.. I probably should have been searched before they put me in the ambulance... and the police did not accompany me to the hospital...

that is just my experience... yes somewhere along the way someone screwed up and a life was lost because of it.. I dont know all the particulars.. so I can only state what i have expereinced before... hmm I think I am rambling now and I should go..
chow for now
PoeticWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
Vlasta
BFP Sentinels

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

This happened in Atlanta and there are many procedures and policies when comes to being admitted to psychiatric hospital .... voluntary or 1013 and than again not every state has the same process .

Would you please , be so kind and be more specific regarding your post ?
Old 11-17-2009, 08:56 AM   #7
SelfMadeMan

How Do You Identify?:
Transsexual Man
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married to The Woman of My Dreams <3

Thanked 2,669 Times in 527 Posts
SelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST ReputationSelfMadeMan Has the BEST Reputation

Amazing to me, that he was able to get a loaded weapon all the way to the hospital with him and shoot himself under their watch... wow, what a complete f-up on the part of EVERYONE invloved with him to that point
SelfMadeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:27 AM   #8
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

Nothing surprises me these days...

It sounds like everyone, his family included, failed him. Did they know he owned the firearm? Did they alert the police to the possibility he was armed? The hospital?

We had a recent incident with a family member with suicidial ideation and a plan. When the local law enforcement was alerted to the situation, the dispatcher specifically asked if he had any weapons in the house.

I'm not saying that the police department and the hospital have no fault here; clearly the hospital has not followed their own procedure, just that it might not all lie with them. I am sure that the family is looking to assign blame in their grieving process; survivors of suicide are often left with so many woulda, shoulda, couldas.
christie is offline   Reply With Quote