Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > In The News

Old 08-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #1
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Thanked 12,310 Times in 2,057 Posts
Ginger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST Reputation
Default "She Makes Fitness Look Lke Fashion"

I read this in the Times this morning and was just wondering what people thought. It's a profile of a butch executive for Equinox.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/30/fa...-up-close.html
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ginger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,972 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

very interesting article!

will come back when i have a moment to read it properly.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

It made me twitch and not in a good way.

I can get passed the stereotypical, bad ass, butch lesbian with her irrevelant attitude, tattoos, male attire, alcohol/party hearty mentality, who bears an uncanny resemblence to KD Lang. I can see a cult icon in the making here.

What I can not get passed is a woman promoting this kind of exploitative advertising of other women:

Much of the credit goes to Ms. Kosoy, who leads a team of 10 designers in Equinox’s headquarters in the Flatiron district, where they create a brand image that marries sex and sweat, wellness and bad behavior. “It’s not fitness,” the tagline reads, “it’s life.”

To that end, she has hired provocative photographers like Terry Richardson to shoot Equinox’s ad campaigns. The most recent campaign features a young blonde in a schoolgirl uniform (shirt, tie, knee socks, yes; skirt, no) pinned under a muscular young man in nothing but boxers, glasses and leather loafers. Judging from the Chesterfield sofa and leather-bound volumes, they are in some sort of library. “Brainpower by Equinox,” the tagline reads.

To me, it is an example of internalized sexism. Just as offensive and derogatory to women as if it was done by a male.

I'm disappointed.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Ginger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post

It made me twitch and not in a good way.

I can get passed the stereotypical, bad ass, butch lesbian with her irrevelant attitude, tattoos, male attire, alcohol/party hearty mentality, who bears an uncanny resemblence to KD Lang. I can see a cult icon in the making here.

What I can not get passed is a woman promoting this kind of exploitative advertising of other women:

Much of the credit goes to Ms. Kosoy, who leads a team of 10 designers in Equinox’s headquarters in the Flatiron district, where they create a brand image that marries sex and sweat, wellness and bad behavior. “It’s not fitness,” the tagline reads, “it’s life.”

To that end, she has hired provocative photographers like Terry Richardson to shoot Equinox’s ad campaigns. The most recent campaign features a young blonde in a schoolgirl uniform (shirt, tie, knee socks, yes; skirt, no) pinned under a muscular young man in nothing but boxers, glasses and leather loafers. Judging from the Chesterfield sofa and leather-bound volumes, they are in some sort of library. “Brainpower by Equinox,” the tagline reads.

To me, it is an example of internalized sexism. Just as offensive and derogatory to women as if it was done by a male.

I'm disappointed.

I had the same reaction. I used to buy the "it's different when a butch does it" cultural justification for behavior that demeans women, but I'm over that. I wouldn't trust this person.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ginger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

She may be laughing all the way to the bank, but, it appears she is being used as nothing more than a pawn, an advertising "in your face" circus act to draw attention.

I think it's actually kinda sad really.
Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
Daywalker

How Do You Identify?:
Hippy

Thanked 11,917 Times in 2,700 Posts
Daywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST Reputation

This one makes me sick:

Target Audience?

Old 08-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,784 Times in 4,469 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

She does look a lot like KD Lang. Other than that she just seems gross. To say I am a pig and ogle after women is just as sexist as any man doing it.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalker View Post
This one makes me sick:

Target Audience?

I think the subtext is about "meat."

And it promotes the idea that the purpose of women getting hot for each other is to arouse men.

I still feel icky, when I get the "can I watch?" response, when straight men learn I'm gay.

The culture of male role models supporting this ad is abundant.

I love butches who look beyond that, and create something that is truly their own.

Example: Butch "A" made a demeaning blond joke around me at the Center in NYC once, and Butch "B" said to her, That's not okay.

I didn't need rescuing, but it felt good to have support.

Butch "B" wasn't emulating a stereotype. Butch "B" got my attention.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ginger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #9
CherylNYC

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm a woman. Behave accordingly.
Relationship Status:
Single, not looking.

Thanked 7,151 Times in 1,206 Posts
CherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST Reputation

Wow. Where to begin? She's certainly an asshole, and she probably has a drinking problem. She obviously gets plenty of positive reinforcement for her irritating behaviours, so she has no reason to behave differently. I'm actually grateful for the photo so I won't even bother oggling her if/when I see her around town.

I oggle women. ALL the time. I oggle beautiful/handsome women of every age, size, race, and gender presentation. It's partly because I'm a sculptor, but it's mostly for the same reasons that the abovementioned asshole oggles them. I love to look at women. ESPECIALLY handsome butch women. I will oggle them more blatantly than I oggle feminine women because that's where the heat is for me. Why is that bad?
Old 08-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #10
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylNYC View Post
Wow. Where to begin? She's certainly an asshole, and she probably has a drinking problem. She obviously gets plenty of positive reinforcement for her irritating behaviours, so she has no reason to behave differently. I'm actually grateful for the photo so I won't even bother oggling her if/when I see her around town.

I oggle women. ALL the time. I oggle beautiful/handsome women of every age, size, race, and gender presentation. It's partly because I'm a sculptor, but it's mostly for the same reasons that the abovementioned asshole oggles them. I love to look at women. ESPECIALLY handsome butch women. I will oggle them more blatantly than I oggle feminine women because that's where the heat is for me. Why is that bad?

I'm really glad you responded, Cheryl, I always appreciate your honesty and smarts.

I've been thinking about that second part, too. The "ogle" part. I "ogle" too, in my way. But something about bragging to an observer, "I'm a pig," after ogling, seems, I don't know. Different. But different is okay. I have to think about this and I have to go out to dinner now. I will check back later!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ginger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #11
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,784 Times in 4,469 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

She's ogling after a woman who is a waitress (working at her job) who is dressed in a certain way which seems to be for the entertainment of the clientele, then tops it off by saying I'm a pig. To me that's gross.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #12
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDog View Post
She's ogling after a woman who is a waitress (working at her job) who is dressed in a certain way which seems to be for the entertainment of the clientele, then tops it off by saying I'm a pig. To me that's gross.
yeah, what Bulldog said.

It's the power thing, the aping of a straight male who wants to make sure his buddies knows he has a penis and knows where to insert it.

I work in a sexist environment the likes of which I haven't had to deal with in a long long time. I worked in literacy and social justice settings for 15 years but now I'm in it for the nice (-ish) salary and the pension and perks and pleasant easy fun work. But it's a trade off. I am on guard an awful lot and while I am admired and liked, I also have to protect myself.

Don't want to go into specifics, not sure why I went there.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ginger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #13
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,247 Times in 1,416 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

To me, there's a way to acknowledge that a woman is beautiful or handsome in a way that is safe and affirming. We do it all the time on this forum, and it feels good to the recipient to be appreciated. It's consenting, and it's welcomed. Gads, is it welcome!

But then there's leering, blatantly sexual. Don't get me wrong, in some contexts (such as with your partner and when it's consensual and even mutual), that's great! I've been there . This, however, was just objectifying.

There's nothing about being a lesbian that makes you automatically woman-loving and appreciating. That incident with the waitress was just Porky's with a vagina.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #14
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 8,925 Times in 1,834 Posts
Novelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST Reputation

Gross.

Anyone who refers to themselves as a "pig" gets no attention in my world.
Novelafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Novelafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #15
SimpleAlaskanBoy

How Do You Identify?:
Bisexual trans guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Daddy to a sweet daisy.

Thanked 1,010 Times in 295 Posts
SimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST Reputation

She's a frat boy butch, just with a better bank account than say, most of the ones I know but less of the manners.

~SAB

<-----Pocky Jedi

"There's only one rule I know of babies-G-d damn it, you've got to be kind."
-Kurt Vonnegut (G-d Bless You, Mr. Rosewater)
SimpleAlaskanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SimpleAlaskanBoy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #16
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,170 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

I didn't read the article till after I read all your comments, which were fun to read.

So I reacted differently. She didn't seem so bad. Sort of a typical creative marketing type. There's some there there, and the rest is her responding to the whatever part of society she takes the pulse of.

The ad is unethical if it does promote body dysmorphia. It makes sense that it would. Wouldn't that cause people to run to a gym? And the sex scene is something that would appeal to a lot of young women and gay men, I imagine, in the 50 Shades of Gray soft-core sense. I haven't seen it, but I "get" it. People want to not feel bad about their bodies, and a lot of them want a hot boy to pin them to the ground. AND they think of themselves as smart and bookish or whatever. Not deep. Contrived even though I bet it works.

That she thinks she is succeeding on her own terms is sort of silly. But that would be true of thousands of creative types selling themselves to corporations.

Doesn't she seem like a character in a lesbian romance novel?
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2012, 07:27 AM   #17
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guihong View Post
To me, there's a way to acknowledge that a woman is beautiful or handsome in a way that is safe and affirming. We do it all the time on this forum, and it feels good to the recipient to be appreciated. It's consenting, and it's welcomed. Gads, is it welcome!

But then there's leering, blatantly sexual. Don't get me wrong, in some contexts (such as with your partner and when it's consensual and even mutual), that's great! I've been there . This, however, was just objectifying.

There's nothing about being a lesbian that makes you automatically woman-loving and appreciating. That incident with the waitress was just Porky's with a vagina.

LOL "Porky's with a vagina"!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ginger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2012, 08:00 AM   #18
tantalizingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Me

Thanked 4,011 Times in 823 Posts
tantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDog View Post
This is after she talks about the new girl she is madly in love with..... awesome.
tantalizingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tantalizingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2012, 08:08 AM   #19
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalizingfemme View Post
This is after she talks about the new girl she is madly in love with..... awesome.

LOL! Lucky gal...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ginger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2012, 09:33 AM   #20
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,435 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

on the one hand, i do think the ads and the kinds of things people are mentioning from the article are pretty upsetting in terms of the glorified sexism, good old boy behavior, etc.

on the other hand...i think it could be more complex than this for a few reasons that are running through my head and i'm having a hard time forming them into a coherent whole so i'll just list them -
there are so few representations of butch women in high powered positions that i think maybe there's a sense of wanting/expectation that people would act in ways that are less offensive.
there is a streak of overtly lewd/misogynistic behavior that runs through our communities and is often glorified.
this woman is probably working among straight men who glorify sexism and misogyny. i've never worked in an upscale corporate environment but my impression is that this is more or less the norm, particularly in male-driven industries.
because of the dynamics of oppression in our society, i'm guessing she might have to work to present a certain image in order to keep her job and career. i'm not saying that makes it right, and we always have choices about how we act within those confines, but that does make it more understandable (to me at least).
the news publishes the most sensational and extreme aspects of every story. it's possible this woman does a lot of awesome stuff that never made it to print because the news doesn't believe in printing a lot of awesome, especially about our communities. while i think the stuff in the article is pretty gross and offensive, i also wonder what we would see if her life wasn't distilled down to this one anecdote.

i'm all for calling out offensive shit. i prefer to do it to people's faces but i don't think it always has to be that way. i think in some ways public figures open themselves up to criticism from all corners, but usually with other situations (like with politicians who absolutely deserve to be called out and criticized), we at least have a bigger picture or more access to information about who they are, what their actions are, and how they live. here we have a pretty small amount of information, probably with a bias (by the reporter) towards confirming certain stereotypes and making things more sensational and sexy, so i guess that makes me want to at least question things a bit before jumping to conclusions.

(and by conclusions i mean - yes, i can conclude that if this is an accurate representation of one incident, i'm pretty grossed out and offended. but i could not even begin to speculate that she has a drinking problem or is really a terrible person or any of that.)
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post: