Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffryder View Post
any news on who won the "debates" as a whole?

Riding through neighborhoods tonight in Central FL I couldn't help but notice the presidential signs in the yards. For every 1 Obama I counted 7 for Romney. Both of these candidates have been all over FL for support. FL Is gonna be a tough state for the President. It will be interesting to watch the numbers come in on Voting Day.
Ruffryder, it depends on which poll you are looking at to determine who won the debates as a whole. (I am going to assume you are asking "Who won the debates taking all three Presidential debates into consideration?"

Each poll is targeting different groups. Some are targeted at the undecided voter, another poll is asking "those most likely to vote." Some polls are targeting the "swing states," for example Ohio. Then you should consider who, what network, newservice is conducting the poll? Is it CNN, FOX, MSNBC? They all have their political slant.

I am not an expert. Based on reading the results of the polls, watching the debates and listening and reading the analyst, "talking heads" after the debates, I would say Romney won the first debate, President Obama won the second debate and the third debate was pretty much a toss up. I think the President did a better job in the final debate but my bias is Democrat.

In the polls right now they are running very close. The polls I have seen have only a .5 - 1 point difference. As for all the Romney sings in Florida. That should not be a big surprise. Florida is a Red state. Meaning more registered Republicans then Democrats and they vote. Also, if they are independents, they tend to vote more conservative, States Rights, Libertarian. Which when left choosing between Republican or Dem, the Republican gets the vote. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Greyson; 10-24-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #342
tonaderspeisung

How Do You Identify?:
asleep at the synthesizer
Preferred Pronoun?:
crown prince of dirty disco

Thanked 1,794 Times in 857 Posts
tonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantics View Post
I watched.

The 3rd party candidates were so respectful of the debate process and of each other. Larry King kept messing up the agenda and the order and they were very gracious.
I like Johnson, Anderson, and Stein. Although I did enjoy listening to Virgil Goode's accent, his issue positions made me twitchy.

I agree that some of the questions were lame. I wish the 3rd party candidates were allowed to debate with the Democrats and Republicans. It makes the debates so much more interesting and also highlights how similar the two main candidates actually are.

re: goode - i felt like closed captioning would have helped - his accent is very strong - saying he made me twitchy would be an understatement
but i liked his "term limits would cut through congress like a knife through hot buttah"
tonaderspeisung is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tonaderspeisung For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #343
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

I heard excerpts on NPR. Free higher education. Damn, we need that but there is no will to make that a reality. That would address income inequality.

Goode was funny re drugs. He said something like "If you want to legalize drugs, vote for one of these other fellers. Do not for me." The way he said it made me laugh.

NPR was also talking about how little the housing crisis has been discussed during the election. I can see why the candidates have not wanted to discuss it, but why has the press and the public let them get away with that. Elephant in the living room issue.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #344
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Cinnamon spiced, caramel colored, power-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful horse girl

Thanked 6,848 Times in 1,493 Posts
dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
I heard excerpts on NPR. Free higher education. Damn, we need that but there is no will to make that a reality. That would address income inequality.

Goode was funny re drugs. He said something like "If you want to legalize drugs, vote for one of these other fellers. Do not for me." The way he said it made me laugh.

NPR was also talking about how little the housing crisis has been discussed during the election. I can see why the candidates have not wanted to discuss it, but why has the press and the public let them get away with that. Elephant in the living room issue.
Because our media has forgotten the whole reason we grant them the huge amount of latitude we do. They seem to think that their function is to enjoy 'access' to political and economic elites as well as turn a profit and if, in the course of doing so, they happen to report the news and be the keepers of the Eleventh Commandment (thou shalt not get away with it) no one is going to complain, as such but that is a secondary function to actually reporting the news.

Since our current media has an attention span so brief that it makes a kitten look like a Zen master they simply cannot do reportage on issues like the housing crisis (complex, multi-causal and implicates economic elites) or climate change (complex, multi-causal, implicates economic elites and requires a bit of science to explain) or pretty much anything *other* than 'he said, she said' gossip and, of course, the horse race of the numbers.

Cheers
Aj

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
dreadgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #345
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Cinnamon spiced, caramel colored, power-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful horse girl

Thanked 6,848 Times in 1,493 Posts
dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyson View Post
Ruffryder, it depends on which poll you are looking at to determine who won the debates as a whole. (I am going to assume you are asking "Who won the debates taking all three Presidential debates into consideration?"

Each poll is targeting different groups. Some are targeted at the undecided voter, another poll is asking "those most likely to vote." Some polls are targeting the "swing states," for example Ohio. Then you should consider who, what network, newservice is conducting the poll? Is it CNN, FOX, MSNBC? They all have their political slant.

I am not an expert. Based on reading the results of the polls, watching the debates and listening and reading the analyst, "talking heads" after the debates, I would say Romney won the first debate, President Obama won the second debate and the third debate was pretty much a toss up. I think the President did a better job in the final debate but my bias is Democrat.

In the polls right now they are running very close. The polls I have seen have only a .5 - 1 point difference. As for all the Romney sings in Florida. That should not be a big surprise. Florida is a Red state. Meaning more registered Republicans then Democrats and they vote. Also, if they are independents, they tend to vote more conservative, States Rights, Libertarian. Which when left choosing between Republican or Dem, the Republican gets the vote. Hope this helps.
The big one to watch is Ohio. If Romney doesn't carry Ohio, he doesn't get to be president. It's not that it is mathematically impossible for him to win without Ohio but there's no smooth path for him if he doesn't. He'd have to basically run the table in every other swing state and that isn't happening.

Cheers
Aj

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
dreadgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #346
StrongButch

How Do You Identify?:
I see the world thru a lens
Preferred Pronoun?:
Yes Boss
Relationship Status:
Chillin out with awesome women

Thanked 4,185 Times in 1,179 Posts
StrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST ReputationStrongButch Has the BEST Reputation
Default Debates

I say a gay or trans person run. It is clear when a person like Mitt Romney can run that we need a change. (lol)
StrongButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StrongButch For This Useful Post: