Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > THE BUTCHFEMMEPLANET PLANET > United States Forums > Texas Forums

Old 06-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation
Default Things to do in San Antonio

Hi.

So me and oneye will be in San Antonio for 5 days in July. It's a combo vacation/anniversary trip/oneye has to go to a conference thing.

We're staying at the St Anthony Hotel (old, allegedly haunted, 5 min walk from the alamo) and I'm wondering if there is anything that we absolutely must do while in town?

I'm mostly wondering about:

1 - Shopping. Nick (oneye) will be busy for some chunks in the morning/early afternoon so I have to entertain myself. Are there any cool (non-chain) 14+ stores worth checking out? Local independent shops? Record stores?

2 - Things to do in the evening. Most of what we've mapped out for ourselves (zoo, etc) is stuff to do during the day. We're not big dance club people, so that's out. But other suggestions (even homa-friendly sit-down bars would work) are so totally needed.

3 - Taxi Company. All of the taxi companies on yelp that actually got reviews got really bad reviews. I'm taking that with a grain of salt, cuz everybody loves to complain about taxi drivers. But I'm wondering if there is one that anybody is familiar with? We will be taking a cab back to the airport so I need someone who will show up within a reasonable amount of time once I've called.

4 - Foooooooooooooood.

5 - Anything else you're dying to tell me?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
Charming Texan

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mister

Charming Texan Has the BEST ReputationCharming Texan Has the BEST ReputationCharming Texan Has the BEST ReputationCharming Texan Has the BEST ReputationCharming Texan Has the BEST ReputationCharming Texan Has the BEST ReputationCharming Texan Has the BEST ReputationCharming Texan Has the BEST ReputationCharming Texan Has the BEST ReputationCharming Texan Has the BEST ReputationCharming Texan Has the BEST Reputation

Hi betenoire!

Glad to hear you and Nick will be staying downtown because you'll be in the center of everything that is important and easily accessible.

Shopping - well, there are smaller shops around, but the Rivercenter Mall is right there as well. Not really my thing either, but it's massive and you can spend quite a few hours in there.

The San Antonio Riverwalk - this is a high recommendation. Here is a map where you can see everything - restaurants, clubs, shopping, the museum district, etc.

http://www.thesanantonioriverwalk.com/

I honestly am not too familiar with the taxis, however I would think that the hotel would be able to provide you with some.

Food - It will be everywhere, but I highly recommend Mexican! Bourdo's Bistro, County Line (for Bar-B-Q!), and Iron Cactus are a few good places I have been. There's also the usual touristy spots like Hard Rock and Rainforest Cafe, but I recommend anything but those.

Just remember too, it's going to be hot as hell here in July. Be comfortable, and I hope you guys enjoy your stay.

Here's the SA chamber of commerce site also - www.sachamber.org

And see the Alamo.

Kellen
Old 06-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Thinker

How Do You Identify?:
transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
male

Thanked 4,133 Times in 1,079 Posts
Thinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST ReputationThinker Has the BEST Reputation

Do yourself a favor and eat the sour cream chicken enchiladas at La Margarita!!

I ain't lyin'...

http://www.lamargarita.com/
Old 06-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Thanked 5,381 Times in 1,245 Posts
Okiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST Reputation

If you are going to be there 5 days you really should take a trip to Gruene TX, it's about 45 minutes outside San Antonio and you will love it. Here is link http://gristmillrestaurant.com/ . This restaurant is awesome and the town is very cool.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Okiebug61 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
Canela

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Babe, she, her, ella

Thanked 6,527 Times in 1,697 Posts
Canela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiebug61 View Post
If you are going to be there 5 days you really should take a trip to Gruene TX, it's about 45 minutes outside San Antonio and you will love it. Here is link http://gristmillrestaurant.com/ . This restaurant is awesome and the town is very cool.
Yes, and if you're wanting to have some cool fun, grab a tube and head down the Blanco River...there are plenty of places you can do that there....Oh, Gruene has some wonderful shops.
You'll like that...good call Okiebug!

http://www.gruenetexas.com/

Happiness is like a butterfly which,
when pursued, is always beyond our grasp,
but, if you will sit down quietly,
may alight upon you

~Nathaniel Hawthorne

Canela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canela For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming Texan View Post
Food - It will be everywhere, but I highly recommend Mexican! Bourdo's Bistro, County Line (for Bar-B-Q!), and Iron Cactus are a few good places I have been. There's also the usual touristy spots like Hard Rock and Rainforest Cafe, but I recommend anything but those.
Poifect, thanks. I've got the address/intersection for a few places that I found on Urban Spoon that sound promising (Druthers Cafe is within walking distance and have good sounding sandwhiches, the Original Blanco allegedly has the best enchiladas in San Antonio) but I was def looking specifically for a BBQ place. When in Texas, right? I haven't been to Texas since 2004 so I've been dying for some good BBQ....I'll look up Country Line for sure.

And you can trust me to not eat at the stupid Hard Rock or Rainforest. If I wanted to eat at those places I'd stay in Ontario.

Quote:
Just remember too, it's going to be hot as hell here in July. Be comfortable, and I hope you guys enjoy your stay.
I purchased a few new sundresses and about a litre of sunblock this weekend just for the occasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
Do yourself a favor and eat the sour cream chicken enchiladas at La Margarita!!

I ain't lyin'...

http://www.lamargarita.com/
My. Hero. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiebug61 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canela View Post
Yes, and if you're wanting to have some cool fun, grab a tube and head down the Blanco River...there are plenty of places you can do that there....Oh, Gruene has some wonderful shops.
You'll like that...good call Okiebug!

http://www.gruenetexas.com/
I'll have to look into distance buses for stuff like that, as we will not have a vehicle with us. I presume we'll be pretty much just keeping to San Antonio proper though....cuz Nick has never taken Greyhound before and now is probably not a great time to start.