Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

"Excuse Me Your Life Is Waiting"- Lynn Crabhorn. I have read many life coaches, but she was one of the best. I say was, because she committed suicide while battling cancer. She firmly believed in the power of positive feeling and thinking, mental and emotional cause and affect, visualization, and magnetism. It still remains a mystery as to why she committed suicide. Dale Carnegie, also was one of the best life coaches in the world, and he also committed suicide while battling an illness.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2016, 03:41 PM   #2562
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,587 Times in 4,690 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Last week:
The is How (Burroughs)
Axis (Wilson)
Armada (Cline)
Still Alice (Genova)
The Aviator's Wife (Benjamin)
The "Captive Prince" trilogy (Pacat)

in progress:
Voyage of the Narwhal (Barret)
The Water Knife (Bacigalupi)
Old 02-05-2016, 11:57 PM   #2563
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,926 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Bettyville

https://g.co/kgs/UzLda

People in my reading group swapped books this week.
I was lucky to be in on a trade for the book, Bettyville, which was a New York Times best seller, last year. I plan to read it over the weekend.

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2016, 11:31 AM   #2564
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

Stephen King- The Four Seasons- 4 Novella set -1982. Stephen King's books make me crazy, yet are so addicting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2016, 12:36 PM   #2565
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:
Very good. Thank you for asking.

Thanked 15,265 Times in 4,345 Posts
C0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST Reputation

I'm reading another great schlocky novel by James Michener (1907-1997), "Poland" (1983).

Michener's novels include Tales of the South Pacific, Hawaii, The Drifters, Centennial, The Source, The Fires of Spring, Chesapeake, Caribbean, Caravans, Alaska, Texas and Poland. His non-fiction works include Iberia, about his travels in Spain and Portugal.

His first book was adapted as the popular Broadway musical South Pacific by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein.

The guy wrote some 40 novels/books, almost all based in sweeping historical research and full of manifest destiny, which is always fun.

Thankfully I wont list them all here but:

I did learned about "the missionary position" from "Hawaii"; all about why everyone wants pieces of Israel from "The Source"; and I can still sing all the words to "Gonna Wash That Man Right Out of My Hair" from South Pacific.
C0LLETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to C0LLETTE For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2016, 06:19 PM   #2566
Venus007

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Serene Highness ;}
Relationship Status:
Dreamily contemplating some outrage against conventional morality

Thanked 4,768 Times in 1,144 Posts
Venus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST Reputation

Maria Konnikova's "The Confidence Game"
It is about the psychology of the con.
Fascinating and filled with handy tips that work really well in business.

"So you'll die happily for your sins. You'd rather die in guilt then live in love?" Timothy Leary
Venus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Venus007 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2016, 08:12 PM   #2567
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,686 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

I very recently finished Anne of Green Gables. I can't believe I've never read these books before... damn my preconceived notions!

I've started Anne of Avonlea, but put it on hold yesterday when I realized that Morning Star was out, the third (and last) in the Red Rising series by Pierce Brown.

I'll be stepping back in Anne's world by the weekend, I'm sure!
Old 02-10-2016, 10:38 PM   #2568
randrum

How Do You Identify?:
Boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
Just call me G
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 3,063 Times in 668 Posts
randrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputation

Currently reading: "We Gotta Get Out of This Place - The Soundtrack to the Vietnan War", "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", and "Star Wars: Annihilation".

I think I'm all over the genre spectrum.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:34 PM   #2569
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Default Depraved Heart

Patricia Cornwall"s Latest!- Scarpetta Series.- A must read for fans! Scarpetta's butch niece Lucy, is still being stalked by her psycho ex Carrie, who has been trying to murder her. This novel is all about them. Of course, Patricia dedicated this one to her partner Staci again. She looked too thin on her jacket photo though. I hope she is well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2016, 11:18 PM   #2570
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

The Light of the World, (Ellen Simpson)

After her grandmother’s death, Eva finds a series of diaries detailing the life of a girl caught up in the magic of the Roaring Twenties. She cannot reconcile the young woman in these diaries with the miserable old woman she loved so fiercely. What happened to change her grandmother so drastically? Eva is desperate to know more about this period in her grandmother’s life.

I'm enjoying this book even tho it started out with a funeral and flashbacks to a suicide attempt by Eva.
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2016, 11:44 PM   #2571
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,369 Times in 6,857 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I'm reading Room by Emma Donohue

I saw the preview for the movie and thought I should read the book. Its an incredible read. I really can't put it down. You literally feel the full spectrum of emotions...I'm laughing I'm sobbing Im really glad I'm reading it alone in my own Room....

See how I did that??
Old 02-28-2016, 09:06 AM   #2572
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:

dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamongrrl View Post
I'm reading Room by Emma Donohue

I saw the preview for the movie and thought I should read the book. Its an incredible read. I really can't put it down. You literally feel the full spectrum of emotions...I'm laughing I'm sobbing Im really glad I'm reading it alone in my own Room....

See how I did that??
I watched the movie last night! it kind of loses something as the voice of Jack is not so dominant
Old 02-28-2016, 09:08 AM   #2573
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:

I am actually reading the "Fifty Shades" trilogy. Only five years late on that one

The writing is really bad--intrusively so-- but I am still into it
Old 03-01-2016, 09:09 PM   #2574
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,369 Times in 6,857 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I'm not all the way done with Room yet but almost...

But today I got an amazing book called Me, Myself and Why: searching for the science of self.

It seemed SO interesting that I read the forward...which I rarely do...

Its basically a look into what makes us US...it does a comparative of nature vs nurture which is a fascinating subject for my former psych major brain...

I can NOT wait to dive in head first....I'm super nerdy that way and I accept it
Old 03-09-2016, 09:30 AM   #2575
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default A Fighting Chance by Elizabeth Warren

An unlikely political star tells the inspiring story of the two-decade journey that taught her how Washington really works—and really doesn't.

As a child in small-town Oklahoma, Elizabeth Warren yearned to go to college and then become an elementary school teacher—an ambitious goal, given her family's modest means.

Early marriage and motherhood seemed to put even that dream out of reach, but fifteen years later she was a distinguished law professor with a deep understanding of why people go bankrupt.

Then came the phone call that changed her life: could she come to Washington DC to help advise Congress on rewriting the bankruptcy laws? Thus began an impolite education into the bare-knuckled, often dysfunctional ways of Washington.

She fought for better bankruptcy laws for ten years and lost. She tried to hold the federal government accountable during the financial crisis but became a target of the big banks. She came up with the idea for a new agency designed to protect consumers from predatory bankers and was denied the opportunity to run it.

Finally, at age 62, she decided to run for elective office and won the most competitive—and watched—Senate race in the country. In this passionate, funny, rabble-rousing book, Warren shows why she has chosen to fight tooth and nail for the middle class—and why she has become a hero to all those who believe that America's government can and must do better for working families.
Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 09:32 AM   #2576
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default ....next up......

Dark Money : The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right / Jane Mayer.

The investors -- Weaponizing philanthropy : the war on ideas, 1970-2008. Radicals : a Koch family history ; The hidden hand : Richard Mellon Scaife ; Beachheads : John M. Olin and the Bradley brothers ; The Koch method : free-market mayhem ; The Kochtopus : free-market machine -- Secret sponsors : covert operations, 2009-2010. Boots on the ground ; Tea time ; The fossils ; Money is speech : the long road to "Citizens United" ; The shellacking : dark money's midterm debut, 2010 -- Privatizing politics : total combat, 2011-2014. The spoils : plundering Congress ; Mother of all wars : the 2012 setback ; The States : gaining ground ; Selling the new Koch : a better battle plan.
Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 02:42 PM   #2577
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,993 Times in 2,596 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

Lord of the Rings
H is for Hawk
The 40 Rules of Love

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2016, 09:24 AM   #2578
QueenofSmirks

How Do You Identify?:
Just Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Busy

1 Highscore

Thanked 2,920 Times in 879 Posts
QueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST Reputation

Essential of Human Anatomy & Physiology. Fun stuff.

"There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way." Christopher Morley
QueenofSmirks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to QueenofSmirks For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2016, 11:16 AM   #2579
FireSignFemme

How Do You Identify?:
N/A

3 Highscores

Thanked 10,512 Times in 3,155 Posts
FireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST Reputation

Mary Baker Eddy by Gillian Gill

Messengers of the Wind Native Native American Women Tell Their Life Stories by Jane Katz

Slaves in the Family by Edward Ball
FireSignFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FireSignFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2016, 02:35 PM   #2580
randrum

How Do You Identify?:
Boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
Just call me G
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 3,063 Times in 668 Posts
randrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputationrandrum Has the BEST Reputation

I have a few going at the moment...

Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton

Jonathon Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Star Wars Battlefront: Twilight Company by Alexander Freed

The Hollow Boy by Jonathon Stroud

The Courage to Try by C.A. Popovich

The Knife by Ross Ritchell

Tags
books, reading