PPoA - Southern Gentle Butch

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, he, him, handsome, Daddy
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Thanked 10,845 Times in 2,247 Posts
bkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Day 2 better....schedules are forthcoming...Been baysitting...Yesterday an during 8th grade, I asked a student to chill and follow the simplest of directions...the next thing I know - he's mumbling to me that his homeys have guns...I looked at him and said - Really - you just said that - thank you...now its a whole new ballgame....ugh. SMH

"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." Randy Pausch.
bkisbutchenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2012, 05:29 AM   #62
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Queer (gender), female (biological marker)
Preferred Pronoun?:
she will work as a default.
Relationship Status:
*engaged to jac* until 8/10/14

Thanked 15,802 Times in 2,905 Posts
spritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST Reputation

Hi BK,

Not to get all weird so early in the morning but I thought a bit about the situation you described.

When kids make random threats to teachers it can really change the mood of the classroom. For everyone. And that isn't cool. It can be hard with muttered words to address and know if it is serious. Stoney is better at this. Hy works with teenagers. One of the things I've learned from hym is consistency... Follow the rules, implement the rules despite how other staff might change them for kids. It makes things difficult for staff following the rules yet it teaches the kid a lot. It takes time to sort out and it is worth it. Even without having a hairy fit, being calm and consistent and reporting the problem, Stoney's approach allowed the kid to work through and realize different rules with different people are frustrating and confusing. And other staff realized the need for consistency for the kids sake.

I've been through "threat assessments" with kids who in frustration said during state testing that is it they were going to blow up the building. Now there was really no "threat" reality but district policy was district policy and we worked on how to express frustration for that student more than we were (it was a big lacking skill for him).
spritzerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2012, 03:04 AM   #63
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

bkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzerJ View Post
Hi BK,

Not to get all weird so early in the morning but I thought a bit about the situation you described.

When kids make random threats to teachers it can really change the mood of the classroom. For everyone. And that isn't cool. It can be hard with muttered words to address and know if it is serious. Stoney is better at this. Hy works with teenagers. One of the things I've learned from hym is consistency... Follow the rules, implement the rules despite how other staff might change them for kids. It makes things difficult for staff following the rules yet it teaches the kid a lot. It takes time to sort out and it is worth it. Even without having a hairy fit, being calm and consistent and reporting the problem, Stoney's approach allowed the kid to work through and realize different rules with different people are frustrating and confusing. And other staff realized the need for consistency for the kids sake.

I've been through "threat assessments" with kids who in frustration said during state testing that is it they were going to blow up the building. Now there was really no "threat" reality but district policy was district policy and we worked on how to express frustration for that student more than we were (it was a big lacking skill for him).
Did I feel like I needed to run to the SRO immediately...no...Did I feel like I had to be careful on my way home...no...this student prolly had no homeys....but the second day? Because I ask you to stay seated...that shocked me more than his statement really...I 've endured worse threats...come to find out - he shouldn't have been at school anyway...his mom was arrested for doing the same thing last year on campus...so in the end - if it brought attention to this student and his needs and or at school safety/policy...then so be it...we have bigger fish to fry for sure...

"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." Randy Pausch.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:05 AM   #64
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2012, 04:45 AM   #65
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #66
stephfromMIT
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Troll
Preferred Pronoun?:
she her
Relationship Status:
engaged to my fiancee Amanda

stephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkisbutchenuff View Post
Way to go...you're almost there!
1 more year of classes after this, then probably 3 years of research. THEN my dissertation.
stephfromMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stephfromMIT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #67
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,170 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

I am in that rushing around and working super hard phase. I have only seen three kids so far, for two hours each. I am in a special program. Sorry I can't say more. (I had a threat myself a while ago now, but I am still being safe online.)

Anyway, I finally got to see my new space and start actually working on Tuesday. God it's only been three days, Tues, Wed and Thurs. Amazing the amount of work one gets done, but it's never enough.

One kid got me to actually slow down and listen to him. That's my job actually, so I am glad I did. And also so grateful that he allowed me to temporarily stop the whirlwind of activity that has been these three days.

Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 02:49 AM   #68
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

Old 08-17-2012, 02:50 AM   #69
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

TGIF....this has been a seriously stressful beginning...and still a while before things settle down...so glad we have weekends!

Old 08-17-2012, 03:02 AM   #70
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

Old 08-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #71
stephfromMIT
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Troll
Preferred Pronoun?:
she her
Relationship Status:
engaged to my fiancee Amanda

stephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST ReputationstephfromMIT Has the BEST Reputation
Smile My classes for the semester

Quantum Field Theory III
Quantum Mechanics I
Statistical Mechanics I
stephfromMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stephfromMIT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #72
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

Calling Monday...checking into early retirement....

Old 08-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #73
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Thanked 14,330 Times in 2,661 Posts
Chancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST Reputation

Hi everyone!

Some of you know that I am a high school math teacher.

I also teach robotics, and

This year, I'll be teaching Digital Electronics.

The training was intense, and

I expect that I will be challenged.

My contract year starts Mon, Aug 27 but

I have already been at school several days.

I am really looking forward to seeing the kids, and

I am hell bent on staying away from the usual drama.
Chancie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #74
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

spritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancie View Post
Hi everyone!

I did not know that Chancie... looked like intense training. A challenge is good! Do you enjoy teaching in Mass? I'm new out east and find I struggle to fit in as a teacher in NH. Oddly enough I am going to try out some of the "methodology" they seem to like so much and see if it works for the kids. We'll see how it goes.

I also am looking to stay away from the usual drama. It doesn't serve the kids and causes my alcohol budget to bloom out of control. Which then affects the health care budget and so on it goes. Luckily several co workers I usually debrief with are also on the more positive and directly confront problems with open mindedness and possible solutions train this year as well. That should help oodles.

My contract starts Tuesday the 21st. Should be fun. I've been in for other trainings and independent work in my newly assigned space. I am anxious to get back in and getting my self organized further. I don't mind putting in extra time at the beginning. Once we officially start I'll be meeting with the sped team and then with classroom teachers about the kids in their classes and won't have a second to spare preparing for the students.

Last year was such chaos for me as a newbie to the building that I really don't want a repeat. The vice principal promises more clear communication this year. She is pretty earnest about it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #75
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

It sounds great. I actually like exploring things for the first time WITH the students. They are generally patient and help a lot. However, I've never worked on projects like this. Wow. It is so cool that you are bringing this to your school and students.

I hope you take the first break, whenever it is, and actually get some relaxing in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancie View Post
Hi everyone!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #76
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Re drama, I am also determined to steer clear, but my Asst Principal and my colleague are already talking shit about my Program Specialist. I won't be surprised if he at some point talks shit about them. Ain't it always the way?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #77
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Thanked 14,330 Times in 2,661 Posts
Chancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST Reputation
Lightbulb One of my goals

I want to develop a better relationship with one of my administrators.

I want to learn to lean on him more, and

I definitely want to stop talking smack about him.

In fact, I want to stop talking about my colleagues in general.

It's not community building, and

It doesn't make me a better teacher.

I don't feel good when I say unkind things about other people, and

I would hate to know that others were saying unkind things about me.
Chancie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2012, 03:47 AM   #78
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

Going through an attitude adjustment, professional/personal evaluation and will change what I can and let go of the rest...I truly do work for and want what's best for the children! I apologize publically for my display of displeasure at work...It is what it is and out of my hands...I have a long term plan I will keep guarded and will work toward it everyday....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2012, 04:30 AM   #79
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

So today is our annual special education department day. Last year we had 2 days. I am grateful this year we are more efficient (unlikely but let's go with it). We lost our day with our school team day, thank goodness. I was telling Stoney the story of how I met the special ed team at the school I work at last year. My goodness I forgot how odd that was.

I was brand spanking new to the school last year. New to the east coast and very nervous about "social norms" in NH. Every thing seemed so difficult. Getting to work was a challenge and I was going in for the first time and I needed to be on time. I get there, find a seat which was tricky because well I was obviously the new kid.

I ended up sitting next to the occupational therapist for preschool, K and 1st grade. She ends up being a lifesaver to me last year and a wildly adored friend now. At that moment she was a stranger who seemed a bit bristly. We open with an ice breaker the vice principal has planned. We are supposed to answer a question and be ready to share our partners answer with the group. The question was....

What was one of your most difficult moments in life and why?

I am sitting next to a stranger thinking to myself... What life moment that was difficult is appropriate to share at work with someone I don't know? And of all the ice breaker questions my god what was this woman thinking. I did learn why the woman I was sitting next too was a bit bristly, her father recently died. I don't even remember what I said.

So today I am thinking that how ever long this day will be I am not answering that questions again and having my answer shared with a group of strangers. Thank heavens.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2012, 04:57 AM   #80
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

Yes SpritzerJ... a day of fun... I have training during my planning and after school...yay me!...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:

Tags
careers, educators, gltb, network