The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

I just got today some new Cain NUBS that I'm gonna try.

And been trying different tobaccos for my pipe although I've been really fond of EggNog for pipesandcigars.com as well as the tobacco my grandfather used to smoke, Sail Navy Blue (it's cheap but brings back memories). I've also been trying a few other new ones along with a new pipe or two (made by a Canadian manufacturer, Bingham). I'm still partial the Churchwarden and Canadian styles but also like the Bulldog style of pipe.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2010, 05:09 PM   #62
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

I really enjoy smoking Oliva's, Creme de Jamaica's, Montecristo's, and Don Tomas. As for pipe tobacco I am using the cheap stuff - Middleton's Cherry Blend. And I like a good whiskey, bourbin, or coffee to drink while smoking.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #63
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackhammer View Post
Believe it or not my favorite pipe is the corncob, smokes sweet and cool.

I don't spend a lot on my pipes, all 13 or 15 I own are low brand old school stand by's. Where the draw hole is drilled in the bowl is what Im looking for.
You want it as low to the bottom as possible.

My wife took me down to the Tobacco shop this weekend and I gathered up my selection of 2oz baggies of smoke. I was disappointed to learn my Dunhill Early Morning Pipe Tobacco was discontinued.

I did grab
Midnight
Alaborg
Blueberry Muffin

Im not one for wild flavors but the Blueberry Muffin is off the hook.

I agree a cup of French Roast makes it all taste a little better
Hrmm.. Jack, when you're back let me know if you want some of the Dunhill Early Morning or Nightcap. I managed to get a couple of tins of this. I did try to find some Chinese made pipes when I was in Beijing but couldn't find a store (if I wanted Chinese cigarettes that was no problem but cigars and/or pipes were hard to find).

Old 05-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #64
Starbuck

How Do You Identify?:
Soft Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 2,148 Times in 756 Posts
Starbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow

Hello fellow cigar smokers!

I started smoking cigars to have something in common with my mate at the time. Come to find out, I like it! I prefer coffee infused cigars, the latest one is Isla Del Sol (I think)...it is smooooth and tastes soooo good. I've also come to realize I prefer lighting my cigars with a match rather than a lighter, it just tastes better.
The Following User Says Thank You to Starbuck For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2011, 07:43 PM   #65
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
Hello fellow cigar smokers!

I started smoking cigars to have something in common with my mate at the time. Come to find out, I like it! I prefer coffee infused cigars, the latest one is Isla Del Sol (I think)...it is smooooth and tastes soooo good. I've also come to realize I prefer lighting my cigars with a match rather than a lighter, it just tastes better.

Ah.. you might like Drew Estates' other coffee/chocolate ones: Tabak Especial.

And yes, on the matches. Although a good butane lighter also works well (these are different than the disposal lighters which leave a fuel after taste)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #66
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile Pipe Tobacco

I enjoy aromatic blends most of all. English blends are a definite no. And the non-aromatic blends are just ok.

Anyone else?
Old 05-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #67
Starbuck

How Do You Identify?:
Soft Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 2,148 Times in 756 Posts
Starbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST Reputation
Red face

This may sound like a stupid question, but I've only smoked cigars, never a pipe. So, what's the difference between a pipe and a cigar? I'm interested in getting a pipe and I like coffee flavored tobacco, what kind of tobacco would anyone suggest?
The Following User Says Thank You to Starbuck For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #68
mountainbikedyke

How Do You Identify?:
Masculine Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

mountainbikedyke Has the BEST Reputationmountainbikedyke Has the BEST Reputationmountainbikedyke Has the BEST Reputationmountainbikedyke Has the BEST Reputationmountainbikedyke Has the BEST Reputationmountainbikedyke Has the BEST Reputationmountainbikedyke Has the BEST Reputationmountainbikedyke Has the BEST Reputationmountainbikedyke Has the BEST Reputationmountainbikedyke Has the BEST Reputationmountainbikedyke Has the BEST Reputation

Linus- thanks for the head up on this thread (Did a search, but nothing came up.).

My fave cigar to date is the Diesel Shorty Unlimited. Also like Ghurka (Dragon and Evil). Also, the Man O War Ruination is tasty. I will usually smoke a Maduro and especially Oscuro. Definitely want to have some food in your belly with those Oscuro.

A good wheat ale or IPA makes a nice cigar companion...

Will check out your blog!
Old 05-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #69
mountainbikedyke

How Do You Identify?:
Masculine Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

mountainbikedyke Has the BEST Reputationmountainbikedyke Has the BEST Reputationmountainbikedyke Has the BEST Reputationmountainbikedyke Has the BEST Reputationmountainbikedyke Has the BEST Reputationmountainbikedyke Has the BEST Reputationmountainbikedyke Has the BEST Reputationmountainbikedyke Has the BEST Reputationmountainbikedyke Has the BEST Reputationmountainbikedyke Has the BEST Reputationmountainbikedyke Has the BEST Reputation
Default Pipes

I inherited over 100 pipes from my Grandfather so I've been sampling different tobacco with different pipes... I'm not much into the fruity flavors- lean towards leathery, woody varieties.

Great thread!
Old 05-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #70
mountainbikedyke

How Do You Identify?:
Masculine Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Default Where I smoke.

I fish a lot (A LOT) and will usually take at least two cigars with me. I have a waterproof box that I take in my kayak and will just float around enjoying a nice Maduro...
Old 05-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #71
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Smile

Starbuck,

I smoked cigars for years, and never a pipe. It was Jack and Linus who got me really interested in pipe smoking - plus I got my Grandfather's pipes after he died. So with that said, what I did is this.

I went to a cigar/pipe/tobacconists shop in town. I went in with a pipe, and sat down at the pipe lounge. I asked the guy behind the counter a ton of questions about the tobacco. Jack and Linus helped me with the tools and how to clean out a pipe.

I think taste is personal. Some enjoy certain flavors when it may not be so good to others. It is just a matter of what you enjoy. Most places will be happy to give you a pinch to smoke before you purchase any tobacco. I say get a pipe you like, and go to a local shop. Don't be shy. Ask questions.

Smoking a pipe is very calming to me. It slows down my OCD. It gives my hands something to do while smoking. Cigar smoking is faster than a pipe. I still enjoy both.

Let us know how your smoking journey goes! Have fun!
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #72
noneoftheabove

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
don't care

noneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputation

Appreciate everyone's suggestions so far. I've only smoked a few real cigars and I really like them. My favorite method of smoking is pipe smoking. It's the most relaxing and meditative for me.
@ Starbuck
You have to light a pipe quite a few times to get through a bowl whereas with cigars i've only had to do one good light at the beginning. You can set a pipe down for a longer time i feel without affecting the flavor too much. With both cigars and pipes you shouldn't smoke them too fast because the flavor will be off and you can get ill from too much nicotine. If you smoke a pipe too hot you could get tongue bite. For a pipe, it is good to have a pipe tool ( a small metal thing with three parts, mostly used to tamp down on the ash) and pipe cleaners. These are the differences i can think of.

If anyone is ever in the Pittsburgh area I suggest continental smoke shop for pipe needs. The owner is the best salesman i've ever met but i'm easily persuaded when it comes to spending money on tobacco products. He's very informative and friendly.
noneoftheabove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:50 PM   #73
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Welcome MBD and noneoftheabove! Hope to see you more here and if you come to the reunion we will be having a HERF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainbikedyke View Post
Linus- thanks for the head up on this thread (Did a search, but nothing came up.).

My fave cigar to date is the Diesel Shorty Unlimited. Also like Ghurka (Dragon and Evil). Also, the Man O War Ruination is tasty. I will usually smoke a Maduro and especially Oscuro. Definitely want to have some food in your belly with those Oscuro.

A good wheat ale or IPA makes a nice cigar companion...

Will check out your blog!
I haven't updated the blog in a while but I probably should. That said, glad you found this thread. I've tried all the ones you've mentioned above and I think I find the Ghurkas to be amongst my favourite.

This week I'm treating myself to some Winston Churchill's Makkeresh and Diamond Crown Maximus (#7) as part of my "recovery" from surgery . For both of these you need a meal and lots of time given the length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noneoftheabove View Post
Appreciate everyone's suggestions so far. I've only smoked a few real cigars and I really like them. My favorite method of smoking is pipe smoking. It's the most relaxing and meditative for me.
@ Starbuck
You have to light a pipe quite a few times to get through a bowl whereas with cigars i've only had to do one good light at the beginning. You can set a pipe down for a longer time i feel without affecting the flavor too much. With both cigars and pipes you shouldn't smoke them too fast because the flavor will be off and you can get ill from too much nicotine. If you smoke a pipe too hot you could get tongue bite. For a pipe, it is good to have a pipe tool ( a small metal thing with three parts, mostly used to tamp down on the ash) and pipe cleaners. These are the differences i can think of.

If anyone is ever in the Pittsburgh area I suggest continental smoke shop for pipe needs. The owner is the best salesman i've ever met but i'm easily persuaded when it comes to spending money on tobacco products. He's very informative and friendly.
Good to know about Pittsburgh. I'm always looking for new local shops to support when I travel (I haven't been to Pittsburgh yet but who knows!). When I do enjoy a bowl, I've found that I like Egg Nog flavour (I've forgotten who did the mix). My biggest challenge is not to buy more pipes. I've gotten a few and really need to get a nice display for them.

Addition to the pipes and cigars, I recently tried snus which is interesting. Not something I'd do all the time given that the nicotine hit is unreal! But can be handy.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #74
mountainbikedyke

How Do You Identify?:
Masculine Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Default Today

I'm planning to fire up a La Gloria Cubana Series N... It came highly resommended. Also, gonna pop open a Dale's Pale Ale. Mmmmmmmm.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:05 PM   #75
mountainbikedyke

How Do You Identify?:
Masculine Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

I've got a 601 Oscuro I'm seasoning for another week. Can't wait!
Old 05-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #76
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainbikedyke View Post
I've got a 601 Oscuro I'm seasoning for another week. Can't wait!
601 Green label, right? Those you need a few meals for.

Interestingly enough, when I smoke I favor water or whiskey (no alcohol this week because of surgery)

Old 05-26-2011, 04:22 PM   #77
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,589 Times in 4,691 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

ok i see on the Reunion schedule that there will be a HERF. Does that have anything to do with this?
Old 05-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #78
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Well, this thread was created separately from and before the HERF. I host the HERF cuz it's fun

The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #79
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,589 Times in 4,691 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Well, this thread was created separately from and before the HERF. I host the HERF cuz it's fun
but i am correct in assuming the HERF is some kinda biggole ceegar-smokin...thing?
Old 05-26-2011, 05:04 PM   #80
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_crystal View Post
but i am correct in assuming the HERF is some kinda biggole ceegar-smokin...thing?
LOL ya. Pipe and cigar types can meetup at the bar in the hotel for a drink (water, soda, beer, etc), a smoke and just gab the time away.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post: