Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 06-22-2022, 06:37 PM   #801
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
once in a while someone amazing comes along...and here I am!

Thanked 14,399 Times in 4,049 Posts
Blade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST Reputation

I Agee with you Bulldog! I think there are more people saying that the Dr told them not to get vaccinated than there are Dr's actually telling them not to vaccinate. However I do know of a few people who's Dr/s have advised against it. Recent stroke victims, someone with advanced MS most legitimate cases I know of are because if extreme medical issues that may be exacerbated due to the vaccine.

The thing is the folks that I know, their spouses haven't gotten vaccinated "because the Dr told "so and so" not to. OMG just makes me want to shake them.

The best way to predict the future, is to create it.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Blade For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2022, 07:41 AM   #802
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,784 Times in 4,469 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

Let's be clear about something. You don't get boosters until you have had the first vaccine shots. So no doctor is going to advise against boosters when you aren't even eligible for them yet because you are not vaccinated. They are called boosters for a reason.

Did someone suddenly get vaccinated after swearing up and down over and over again that he never would? I highly doubt it. And if you finally saw the light and did get vaccinated why would you then go into a big anti-booster stance?

I am tired of all the b.s. Thousands - most likely hundreds of thousands of people or more - have died due to all of the misinformation about Covid. As Blade said there are some specific cases where certain people may not be able to get the vaccine but they are rare. Most of the yahoos claiming that their doctors are advising against the vaccine and/or boosters are flat out lying and contributing to the misinformation about Covid - which is literally killing people.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2022, 01:47 PM   #803
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

One thing I wasn't prepared for when I got my booster was that it stirred up dormant stuff in me. I've known a few others that also had this happen. I had a fever blister pop up, as did my trainer and a friend's 30-something year old daughter got shingles.

Having said that, I'm eligible for my second booster next month and I'll be getting it. Why do that when it could stir something up again? Because the alternative is less attractive to me. The vaccines and boosters, as Bully said, are designed not as a cure, but as a preventative measure to lessen the severity of COVID's symptoms and impact on a person. The more people that are protected with the vaccines means the less likelihood that it will continue to spread and morph into new variants.

Like JD, there are some who have medical issues that might be worsened by the shots. I get that. There are also those whose religion is against the shots. Again, I get that. It's unfortunate but I get it.

What I don't get is the lying. Why do people lie about getting the vaccine when they didn't and saying that they were told not to by a medical professional when they weren't? Because they know it will generate a strong response and they don't want to deal with the conversations that would follow. BUT if they truly didn't care, why lie? Because they DO care and they DO know that it's the right thing to do but they just don't want to do it. Those people. Those are the ones that make me shake my head.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2022, 05:02 PM   #804
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 28,873 Times in 9,718 Posts
JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDog View Post
Lol, so many people on the internet claiming their doctors are telling them not to get the vaccine or booster. I would like to see proof of this because I don't believe that many doctors are running around telling people not to get vaccinated.

Can you get a booster if you haven't gotten the first vaccine shots?

The point of the boosters is not to prevent you from getting Covid. It's to help make it not as dangerous if you do. A vast majority of serious illnesses and deaths from Covid are from those who are not vaccinated. So no the boosters are not doing more harm than good. That is absolutely false and people need to stop spewing misinformation about Covid.
If you would like, I can give you my dr's phone numbers if you really want them. I have had both vaccines in 2021, it is now June 2022, I have lupus, all 3 of them said NO booster, so until you know someone's status, shut up!

Don't come on here thinking you know everything either about everyone. Have the day you deserve because you deserve a shitty day for this post!

Albert Einstein
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:04 PM   #805
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 28,873 Times in 9,718 Posts
JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation

Also my exact dates on my vaccine card is October 11, 2021 for first dose and November 11,2021 for second it was Pfizer.

I had to get it for my job cuz it was mandated and my family made me get it! So clear that bullshit right up, right now!

Albert Einstein
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:14 PM   #806
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,784 Times in 4,469 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

Well good you did get vaccinated. It goes contrary to all the anti-vax crap and misinformation you spewed earlier. Fortunately, most of those horrible posts were wiped out when the website had a meltdown.

"The American College of Rheumatology (ACR) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommend that people with lupus who meet the age requirements receive a series of COVID-19 vaccines.

The virus has changed and is now easier to catch and transmit, even for people who are vaccinated, but it is much less likely to get it or have a serious case if you are completely vaccinated. Getting vaccinated is still the best way to prevent serious illness and death from COVID-19.

If you have not gotten the vaccine and boosters, please talk to your health care team about why you should receive it."

https://www.lupus.org/resources/covi...cine-and-lupus

From same page:

I have been vaccinated. Do I need a booster shot?

Yes. Everyone over 12 should get a booster shot of an mRNA vaccine regardless of which vaccine they received for their first shot. People who are over 12 and moderately or severely immunocompromised may choose to receive a second booster shot. The ACR recommends that people with lupus should also receive an additional dose of an mRNA vaccine.

This means that you may need up to 5 doses of the vaccine to get the best possible protection.

The virus has changed and it is now easier to catch and transmit even for people who are vaccinated. The booster shot is particularly important in reducing the chance that you will catch COVID-19. Receiving a booster shot reduces the chance that you will catch COVID-19. It also reduces the chance that if you do get it you will get seriously ill or die.

Talk to your doctor about the number and timing of COVID-19 vaccine doses that are right for you.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2022, 06:43 AM   #807
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,006 Times in 8,559 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orema View Post
https://www.covidtests.gov/

KALAMAZOO, Mich. — In an effort to increase access and testing supplies, the Biden administration launched a new website for people to order free at-home COVID-19 tests.

Tests are in high demand and have been increasingly difficult to find.

"There’s a consensus that the United States could and should have invested more in rapid testing and testing in general for COVID-19," said Dr. William Nettleton, the medical director at the Kalamazoo County Health Department.

Covidtests.gov officially went live Wednesday.

In an effort to increase access and testing supply, the Biden administration launched a new website for people to order free at home COVID-19 tests. (WWMT/Courtesy covidtests.gov)

Every home in the U.S. is eligible to order four rapid at-home COVID-19 tests.

Launch: White House soft-launches COVID-19 test request website
The tests are completely free. You can order by filling out the form on the site with your contact information and shipping address.

There is a limit of one order per residential address.

The website states orders usually ship in 7 to 12 days and will be delivered by the United States Postal Service.

As of last Saturday, insurance companies and health plans are now required to cover eight free over-the-counter, at-home tests per covered individual, per month.

Insurance coverage: Insurance now covers at-home COVID-19 tests
As cases of the omicron variant rise, health officials say testing is crucial to stop the spread of COVID-19.

"We all need to make testing more routine in our lives right now," said Nettleton. "It helps reduce the spread. If I know I’m positive, I can isolate and protect those around me from getting COVID."

Tests can be ordered on covidtests.gov.

To find a free testing site near you in the mitten, visit Michigan.gov.

https://wwmt.com/news/local/white-ho...covid-19-tests

Just ordered my tests without any problems. Website was running smoothly without any hiccups.

Here is the link to order more tests. I ordered some more last night and had no problems.

https://www.covid.gov/tests
Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2022, 11:32 AM   #808
Stone-Butch

How Do You Identify?:
Stonebutch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 8,417 Times in 2,607 Posts
Stone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST ReputationStone-Butch Has the BEST Reputation
Default COVID-19

When I was at Walmart two days ago there was a rolling 3 tear shelf by the exit door and it was loaded top to bottom with testers. Just take what you want. I thought it was a great idea and shoppers were only taking one at a time but you could take what you needed to a limit said the security guard there.
Stone-Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stone-Butch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2023, 07:41 AM   #809
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation

I vaccinated this week so I'm up to date with the vaccinations for my age group.

Old 09-25-2023, 06:08 AM   #810
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Default Free At-Home Covid Tests by Mail

For U.S. Residents ...

Place Your Order for Free At-Home COVID-19 Tests at https://special.usps.com/testkits

As of September 25, 2023, residential households in the U.S. can order one set of #4 free at-home tests from USPS.com again. Here's what you need to know about your order:
  • Limit of one order per residential address
  • One order includes #4 individual rapid antigen COVID-19 tests (COVIDTests.gov has more details about at-home tests, including extended shelf life and updated expiration dates)
  • Orders will ship free starting the week of October 2, 2023

I think I need the new Covid Booster shot. I'll find out this morning when I get my flu shot.
Old 09-29-2023, 08:31 AM   #811
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,926 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

I got the latest flu shot at the end of August and yesterday I got the latest Covid booster and the shot for RSV. Got two sore arms but I’m inoculated so I don’t catch bad germs that make you real sick.

Hope everybody is still hanging on to their hygiene routines and keeping hands washed and clean. I still, to this day, freak out when I see somebody not practicing good hygiene.

I keep a fresh mask handy in my purse and spare nitril gloves 🧤 handy too.

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2023, 03:55 AM   #812
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Got the latest COVID shot and RSV shot yesterday. Arm is sore, but that’s the breaks.
Old 11-05-2023, 02:38 AM   #813
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

It’s Covid Season. What Are the New Rules for Staying Safe?
A primer on how to minimize your risk and know when you’re in the clear after an exposure.
By Dani Blum, New York Times, Oct. 25, 2023

Danielle St. Laurent for The New York Times

We want to be done with Covid. But the virus isn’t done with us.

While cases are not as high as they were at the end of this summer, newer variants are spreading, and experts predict that the patterns often seen over the last three years of the pandemic — the temperature drops, people cluster indoors, cases rise — will play out again this fall. That means it might be time to take stock (yes, again) of how you can minimize your risk.

“It continues to be a moving target, and I think that continues to be hard for people,” said Dr. Peter Chin-Hong, an infectious disease expert at the University of California, San Francisco.

As the holiday season approaches, here is a quick refresher on how to navigate the pandemic.

What precautions should I be taking at this point?
You’ve heard it before, you’ll hear it again: Masks can help you protect yourself and others from becoming sick. So can washing your hands thoroughly and not touching your face with unwashed hands, said Dr. Joseph Khabbaza, a pulmonary and critical care doctor at Cleveland Clinic.

The updated Covid vaccines can also reduce your chances of being infected, and especially cut down on your risk of serious illness, said Dr. Ziyad Al-Aly, the chief of research and development at the V.A. St. Louis Healthcare System.

Rapid tests are also a vital tool. (You can order four free tests per household from the federal government.) Testing when you have symptoms, or after a confirmed exposure, can help determine if you have the virus. Keep in mind that you should take two tests, 48 hours apart, for a more complete picture. If you do have Covid, you may qualify for Paxlovid, which significantly reduces the risk of severe disease and death — but you need to take the medication within five days of symptoms starting.

What are the riskiest activities?
Risk largely boils down to how crowded a place is and how long you spend there. If you’re popping into a convenience store, for example, your risk is probably minimal; if you’re lingering unmasked for hours in a full concert hall, it’s higher.

“Any time you’re indoors with a lot of people, the risk is still there,” said Dr. Marc Sala, co-director of the Northwestern Medicine Comprehensive Covid-19 Center in Chicago. It’s a good idea to wear a mask on the subway or bus. Planes are likely less risky because of their ventilation, but you still may want to mask, especially when boarding and deplaning.

For any indoor activity, like going to a bar, there are degrees of risk, said Dr. Chin-Hong. How busy is the place? Can you sit by an open window? Newer buildings tend to have better ventilation, and the bigger a place, the more spaced out you can be from other people, which lowers your chance of infection. And anything becomes riskier when cases are rising. It’s tricky to find clear data on Covid-19 cases, but you can check local hospitalization rates and wastewater data to get a better sense of your risk.

If I’m exposed to Covid, when am I in the clear?
As the coronavirus has evolved, the amount of time between being exposed and developing symptoms has shortened, Dr. Chin-Hong said. Most people now tend to test positive three days after they have been exposed to the virus, he said. But for many people, it takes a full week to test positive on a rapid test. (Molecular tests are more sensitive but harder to find outside of a doctor’s office.) Once you’re past the one-week mark, though, you’re likely in the clear.

I’m sick but not sure if it’s Covid. Should I cancel my plans?
It depends on how risk-averse you and the people around you are. It also depends on who you are spending time with — if you’re visiting an older relative, for example, you may want to reschedule.

And you may want to tell those you’re spending time with that you are not feeling well.

“Just like you inform people when you’re coming late, you inform them with the symptoms you have, and you negotiate with them,” Dr. Chin-Hong said. You might move a dinner party outside, for example, or shift plans to another night. Testing is often the only way to determine whether sniffles are due to a cold, the flu or Covid.

If you have a fever, stay home, Dr. Chin-Hong said. That’s a sign you’re likely infectious.

I just had Covid. Do I still need to be careful?
If you caught the coronavirus in the past three months, you’re fairly well protected against it. You can still become reinfected within that window, but it’s far less likely, because the variants circulating are similar.

I’m going home for the holidays. Should I quarantine before my trip?
Consider taking extra precautions, like limiting the time you spend around others unmasked in the five days before a big gathering. Be vigilant about your symptoms, Dr. Khabbaza said. You may also want to test beforehand.

“It’s hard to eliminate risk completely,” Dr. Al-Aly said. “But you can reduce one’s risk.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/25/w...treatment.html
Old 02-13-2024, 09:41 AM   #814
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,926 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Unhappy

Well, for all the shots I got last fall to keep from coming down with anything remotely related to Covid, I got exposed by a parent whose kids were sick and they exposed us at work. I’ve been real sick since a few days ago. Thankfully the shots I got have helped out a lot because I’m pretty sure, as an ex-smoker of nearly 2 years, I wouldn’t be here to say …. “Hey, Covid is still alive and well.”

It’s hard on a person to not hate on others who care nothing about how they get sick and spread their sickness to others. Real hard to resist the temptation to hate other people who won’t care about themselves or others.

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2024, 12:53 PM   #815
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Default Your 2024 Guide to Covid Symptoms and Treatment

Your 2024 Guide to Covid Symptoms and Treatment
Rest, fluids and medications are your friends.

We’re four years into the pandemic, and by this point, most Americans have had Covid at least once. But when the virus comes for us (again), it can still feel just as alarming as your first bout.

Here’s a guide to what Covid looks like now and how to treat it.

Symptoms
The most common Covid symptoms haven’t changed much since the start of the pandemic, and they remain consistent for the latest dominant variant, JN.1, said Dr. Soniya Gandhi, the associate chief medical officer at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. They include fatigue, sore throat, congestion, runny nose, headache, body aches and cough.

“All or any of those in isolation can still be Covid,” Dr. Gandhi said.

Some people may develop conjunctivitis, also known as pink eye, or experience gastrointestinal issues, like nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, but those symptoms are rarer. Anecdotally, experts said, one of the most notable symptoms early in the pandemic — the loss of taste and smell — also appears to be less common these days.

“The biggest change is that people are having milder symptoms overall,” said Dr. Amanda Casto, an acting assistant professor of allergy and infectious diseases at the University of Washington. That’s because virtually everyone has some pre-existing immunity from vaccines, a prior infection or both.

While Covid is mild for most people, it can be dangerous and even fatal for some. Data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention indicated that, as of mid-February, more than 21,000 people were hospitalized with Covid, and there had been roughly 10,000 Covid-related deaths in 2024.

Getty Images

Severe illness is a lot less prevalent now than during the first few years of the pandemic, “but we’re still seeing it,” said Dr. Stuart Ray, a professor in the division of infectious diseases at Johns Hopkins Medicine in Baltimore. The people who are getting sickest tend to be those with compromised immune systems and underlying health conditions, such as heart disease, diabetes or lung problems. Adults over age 65 are also at higher risk for severe infections.

Since mild Covid can look like a cold or the flu, it’s important to test yourself if you have symptoms or have had a known exposure, Dr. Gandhi said. Knowing what you have can affect your treatment and how long you isolate from others.

On March 1, the C.D.C. updated its guidance for preventing the spread of Covid and other respiratory viruses. The agency recommended that people isolate until their symptoms have started to improve and they have been fever-free for at least 24 hours. The agency acknowledged that people may still be contagious at this point and should continue to take precautions, like masking and physical distancing, for the next five days.

Treatment
The antiviral pill Paxlovid is very effective against severe Covid, reducing the risk of death by 73 percent if taken within the first five days of an infection, according to a preliminary study conducted by the National Institutes of Health. Experts urged people who are high-risk to contact their doctors about getting a prescription as soon as they have symptoms or test positive.

“If you’re elderly or you have comorbidities, before you even get worse, you should already seek medical care,” said Dr. Bernard Camins, the medical director for infection prevention at the Mount Sinai Health System in New York. “Your health care provider will then evaluate you if you’re a candidate for antivirals.”

Paxlovid isn’t recommended for everyone. It can interact with several medications, including common ones used to lower blood pressure or prevent blood clots, and it’s also not advised for people with severe kidney disease. If you can’t take Paxlovid, the drug remdesivir could be an option, but it has to be delivered intravenously, so it’s less convenient and harder to obtain.

Paxlovid also doesn’t appear to provide much benefit to young, healthy adults whose risk of severe infection is low, so it isn’t broadly recommended for those groups.

For most people, Covid symptoms can be managed at home and treated like any other respiratory illness, with an emphasis on rest and staying hydrated. “If you have congestion or cough, you’re losing more fluids than you normally would,” Dr. Casto said. “So I would definitely recommend that people stay on top of fluid.”

If you have a fever or body aches, take acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin). You can also take over-the-counter cold and flu medicines with decongestants or cough suppressants, though the experts didn’t recommend them strongly because they don’t work for everybody and can cause drowsiness.

When to seek medical care
If you’re experiencing shortness of breath — meaning you can’t catch your breath or are taking quick and shallow breaths — it’s important to seek medical attention right away.

“The thing that I worry most about is the breathing,” Dr. Casto said. “That’s the most concerning sign, because people can get” worse really quickly. If you’re having trouble breathing, she advised going to the emergency room rather than to your doctor or an urgent care clinic. Experts also said you should see a provider if you experience confusion or chest pain.

If your symptoms don’t improve after several days, or improve and then regress, it could be a sign you have a secondary infection like pneumonia, Dr. Casto said. In that case, or if you’re concerned about your symptoms at all, don’t hesitate to call your doctor.

By Dana G. Smith, March 1, 2024. Dana G. Smith is a Times reporter covering personal health, particularly aging and brain health.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/covi...treatment.html
Old 03-10-2024, 07:40 PM   #816
GeorgiaMa'am
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ma'am
Relationship Status:
widowed - involved, poly

14 Highscores

Thanked 27,008 Times in 5,082 Posts
GeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orema View Post
Your 2024 Guide to Covid Symptoms and Treatment
Rest, fluids and medications are your friends.

We’re four years into the pandemic, and by this point, most Americans have had Covid at least once. . .
I'm pretty sure Covid is what I had earlier in February. I even got pink eye.

It's been so lonely without you here
Like a bird without a song
Nothing can stop these lonely tears from falling . . .
'Cause nothing compares, nothing compares 2 U

- Prince
GeorgiaMa'am is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeorgiaMa'am For This Useful Post: