Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 08-01-2018, 10:57 PM   #81
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Thanked 21,364 Times in 6,715 Posts
kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Someone asked me if bear spray really works. Yes and no, if it's black bear maybe, if it's not determined, grizzly forget it..but with the right gun.bear spray and lucky timing you could get enough time to run for it..best to have a plan..just in case..make sure to tie your food away from campsite and up in a tree..don't cook or eat where you sleep, ever, have a cook camp at least 100 yards away from where you sleep..i never had a problem in Alaska, but the bears in the Cascades have no fear, so be careful there.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:39 PM   #82
Femmewench

How Do You Identify?:
Casual Femme Saphiosexual
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her
Relationship Status:
Divorced

Thanked 1,278 Times in 331 Posts
Femmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygrrl View Post
Someone asked me if bear spray really works. Yes and no, if it's black bear maybe, if it's not determined, grizzly forget it..but with the right gun.bear spray and lucky timing you could get enough time to run for it..best to have a plan..just in case..make sure to tie your food away from campsite and up in a tree..don't cook or eat where you sleep, ever, have a cook camp at least 100 yards away from where you sleep..i never had a problem in Alaska, but the bears in the Cascades have no fear, so be careful there.
I have bear spray for self defense rather than bears.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:43 AM   #83
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Femmewench View Post
I have bear spray for self defense rather than bears.
You might want to consider using Pepper Spray for the two-legged variety of bear..it's more potent
Old 08-02-2018, 12:54 PM   #84
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

have it but harvesting my own would be a gas!
Old 08-02-2018, 02:19 PM   #85
Femmewench

How Do You Identify?:
Casual Femme Saphiosexual
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her
Relationship Status:
Divorced

Thanked 1,278 Times in 331 Posts
Femmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
You might want to consider using Pepper Spray for the two-legged variety of bear..it's more potent
It's my understanding that bear spray can be purchased anywhere. In some states you have to go to a specific dealer to get pepper spray. And frankly, for me it's like carrying an umbrella; insurance I won't need it. It's like keeping the flashlight/truncheon next to my bed.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:38 PM   #86
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Femmewench View Post
It's my understanding that bear spray can be purchased anywhere. In some states you have to go to a specific dealer to get pepper spray. And frankly, for me it's like carrying an umbrella; insurance I won't need it. It's like keeping the flashlight/truncheon next to my bed.
good to know Femmewench..i have both. the pepper spray is on a chain.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:02 PM   #87
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

useful-
The Following User Says Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 06:42 PM   #88
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Thumbs up

Quote:
I want to try making one this spring
Started to do this but was in a hurry and ended up doing a Swedish torch instead..this method is a different version of the same and would work in the woods if you were in a pinch or just love working wood....someone just reminded me about it and i will probably do it this weekend and use it in the firepit to brew some coffee and if you let it burn to embers- biscuits..also on second thought you might want to tie it in two places if you plan on using it for awhile because once the fire hits the boundary of the wire the wood under it will collapse..the swedish torch is much more stable..but it will be fun to try out
Old 10-12-2018, 12:11 PM   #89
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Thumbs up

just buying..(a) 2lb Hudson Bay Sport Utility Axe w/18" curved handleworked one the other day just to get a feel..and i liked it- also bought a waterstone 400/1000 from Amazon. I have a Japanese waterstone but it's for knife sharpening
Old 10-12-2018, 12:25 PM   #90
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Thumbs up ~

Quote:
Started to do this but was in a hurry and ended up doing a Swedish torch instead..this method is a different version of the same and would work in the woods if you were in a pinch or just love working wood....someone just reminded me about it and i will probably do it this weekend and use it in the firepit to brew some coffee and if you let it burn to embers- biscuits..also on second thought you might want to tie it in two places if you plan on using it for awhile because once the fire hits the boundary of the wire the wood under it will collapse..the swedish torch is much more stable..but it will be fun to try out
also wanted to add~> i look for the shagbark of a hickory or poplar but love apple too..we don't have much pine here unless it's on purpose.. i use snags, only in an emergency would i cut down something living
Old 10-13-2018, 12:02 PM   #91
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Thumbs up

my criteria for a camp knife-

full tang/high carbon steel blade
belt friendly
90 degree spine/throws good spark
non-coated
grind-scandi
keeps edge
batons wood w/o problems
fits my hand
Old 10-15-2018, 11:07 AM   #92
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Thumbs up

Ray Mears
Old 10-27-2018, 02:58 PM   #93
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Thumbs up

Just picked up a Le Duck neck knife. The sheath has a unique locking system that takes a bit to get used to but not bad. Nice blade shape, light. The one drawback is when grabbing it from sheath I can't get a full grip on it..i've not used it yet, this is just my first impression. Check it out.
Blade: 2.5" / 6.4cm
Overall: 6.25" / 16.0cm
Handle: Rubberized TPR
Sheath: Polyproylene
Lanyard: Black 550 Paracord
Weight: 3.0oz / 85g
Old 10-27-2018, 05:34 PM   #94
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

And what pray tell does one do with a Le Duck neck knife....

I'm not one of those "outdoorsy" type butches! I don't fish, hunt, or camp..
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:28 PM   #95
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
And what pray tell does one do with a Le Duck neck knife....

I'm not one of those "outdoorsy" type butches! I don't fish, hunt, or camp..
i just find a neck knife more useful then a folder especially in camp..especially when it's cold or rainy and i'm trying to pull-out a folder to cut paracord, make some tinder, make dinner or anything around camp that needs a knife..i like the access
Old 10-28-2018, 10:44 AM   #96
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
i just find a neck knife more useful then a folder especially in camp..especially when it's cold or rainy and i'm trying to pull-out a folder to cut paracord, make some tinder, make dinner or anything around camp that needs a knife..i like the access

folder, paracord, tinder, this is all Greek to me............DINNER now you're talking sister.........
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2018, 11:26 AM   #97
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Thumbs up

Quote:
folder, paracord, tinder, this is all Greek to me............DINNER now you're talking sister.........
@homoe

also...fyi..even on a day hike, take a survival kit..expect to get lost or to have an accident.-keep your pack in your car and keep it lighter so you won't be tempted to leave it behind!
Old 10-28-2018, 11:38 AM   #98
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
@homoe

also...fyi..even on a day hike, take a survival kit..expect to get lost or to have an accident.-keep your pack in your car and keep it lighter so you won't be tempted to leave it behind!
Oh I'd say I'm COMPLETELY lost when it comes to this thread........perhaps there is a Bushcraft For Dummies edition I could pick up?
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2018, 01:38 PM   #99
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Thumbs up

Quote:
Oh I'd say I'm COMPLETELY lost when it comes to this thread........perhaps there is a Bushcraft For Dummies edition I could pick up?
there are a few good books on Bushcraft..even an audiobook.

favoritewhile i'm setting up camp
Old 10-28-2018, 06:27 PM   #100
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Thumbs up

My next challenge is mushrooms.. a skill i'll need for an extended stay in the woods.