Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
This is a towel from the fifties. She's tossing the dirty dishes out the window. Ironically appropriate image for a dish towel.

You know there had to have been a lot of Erma Bombeck style humor about the absurd expectations placed on women.

hahaha that would have been me! I hate housework. I love cooking and making wonderful meals for the people I love but I hate hate housework. But I love my house clean. Thankfully I was able to finally hire someone until I find my own June or Tim. lol
Sachita is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #202
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation
Default i've been pondering..

Just thoughts on the evolution of *woman*, all genders of women. Over the years women have been told what a real woman does, and sadly even by other women. We've been judged and torn apart, all the while trying to do the right thing.

So basically in the beginning..

1) Tend to the farmhouse, feed the chickens, birth lots of babies, bake the biscuits, scrub the laundry, help in the fields (sometimes in the same day as birthing a baby) and read the bible to the babies by the coal oil light. Don't buck the husband and do as you are told. That's what a real woman does.

2) Graduate high school, marry the perfect man, please him, take care of him, birth the babies and take care of them while hubby is at the office. Make sure you've got the supper on the table and in your nice dress and pearls when he returns.. (June Cleaver).. "stand by your man " kinda thing...Be happy, make the best of it and be grateful.
That's what a real woman does.

3) Get a job! Womens liberation yaknow! Work outside the home like the men do. Get paid, not as much but be happy you have a job. Work all day and come home like the men do, oh by the way, also do all the things in #2. Figure out how to get the kids and hubby fed within minutes at the end of your work day. Spend the weekends cleaning and cooking to get ready for that work week. That's what a real woman does.

4) What the hell are you doing working and leaving the kids at day care? No good mom does this, Stay home and raise those kids! Forget the job and life outside the home, your job is to raise kids and take care of the house. You are not a good mom if you work and have kids in day care. That's what a real woman does.

i have never seen men subjected to such standards. Their "role" has pretty much stayed the same. Man is the dominant force. Women not so much.

That's how i feel the evolution of *woman* has played out over the years. i wonder has anyone ever bothered to say *let a woman decide what is best for her and her kids* without judgment? Nope, conform or be judged.

What is NOT brought up is what happens when Dad is a deadbeat and they have no choice but to work and leave kids in the care of someone else? What happens when the husband is abusive and she is scared to venture outside the home? What if she is trapped? What if the woman is queer? She was expected to marry a man without consideration of her identity. (my mother). It didn't matter as long as she did what was expected. Many times women have no option for what they do, yet they are still judged.

i am sick of women try to explain, and be judged as to why they do what they do because it doesn't meld with society's idea of a real woman at any given time. Hell we weren't even allowed to wear slacks in the beginning! We have had to fight for our rights and privileges since the beginning. We have been shamed into feeling pregnancy was something to be ashamed of (not allowed on TV during June Cleaver's run). Women didn't swear or get dirty. All because men said it wasn't proper.

When i was 12 my mother went and got a job. My father nearly came unglued. He showed up at her work and harassed her every day. Of course this was after 13 years of abuse, so it was to be expected.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #203
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation
Default 1977

The Song is called, "I'm A Woman."

It is one of Peggy Lee's signature songs. The actress in the Enjoli commercial was a top model. Her name is Christina.

Enjoli Commercial's Lyrics:

Christina: I can put the wash on the line, feed the kids, get dressed, pass out the kisses and get to work by 5 to 9.
'Cause I'm a Woman, Enjoli!

(Announcer): Charles of The Ritz Creates Enjoli. The New 8 Hour Perfume for The 24 Hour Woman.

Christina: I can bring home the Bacon!
Chorus: Enjoli.
Christina: Fry it up in a Pan!
Chorus: Enjoli.
Christina: And Never, Never, Never let you forget You're a Man!
'Cause I'm a Woman!
Chorus: Enjoli!

Peggy Lee's Original Lyrics:

I can wash out 44 pairs of socks and have 'em hangin' out on the line.
I can starch and iron 2 dozens shirts before you can count from 1 to 9.
I can scoop up a great big dipper, full of lard from the drippins can;
Throw it in the skillet, go out and do my shopping, be back before it melts in the pan.
'Cause I'm a woman! W-O-M-A-N, I'll say it again!

I can rub and scrub this old house 'til it's shinin' like a dime,
Feed the baby, grease the car, and powder my face at the same time;
Get all dressed up, go out and swing 'til 4 am,
And then lay down at 5, jump up at 6, and start all over again!

If you come to me sickly, you know I'm gonna make you well.
If you come to me all hexed up, you know I'm gonna break the spell.
If you come to me hungry, you know I'm gonna fill you full of grits.
If it's lovin' you're likin', I'll kiss you and give you the shiverin' fits.

I can stretch a greenback dollar bill from here to kingdom come.
I can play the numbers, pay the bills and still end up with some.
I got a twenty dollar gold piece says there ain't nothing I can't do.
I can make a dress out of a feed bag and I can make a man out of you!
'Cause I'm a woman! W-O-M-A-N . . . and that's all.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2012, 08:19 AM   #204
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

While i'm on a tangent.. ever notice how all of the cleaning product commercials are filmed with only feminine women using them?

Just once i'd like to see a man/big burly dyke in one!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #205
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Jumping off Dee

It's very unfair but on the flip side is that women CAN do it all. I'm not going to get into the whole gender equality thing because in my perception there is no equality. And we all know that there are exception to the gender rules, however, how many men are working, raising kids and dealing with everything on Dee's list? Yes, there are SOME.

My mother worked in a factory to raise 4 kids living in projects. My dad helped some but he was too busy growing up.

My granddaughters mother has two kids. There's Mia, my son's child and a child from her last marriage. I raised my son to be self sufficient. He was doing his laundry at age 12, helping to cook and clean. So helping her is never a problem. When they were not together he had no problem picking Mia up, even as an infant and taking her for the weekend. Some people were surprised by this. He just jumped right in changing diapers, feeding and bathing. When his buddy said "Babies need their mama. You part come later." he told him that was bullshit. That its his kid too.

I too was a single mother going to school, working and trying to have a life. thankfully I have supportive family to help. So I make it a point to always be there for her no matter what. If she needs a break to do nothing I'll go watch the kids. Sometimes I don't think she realizes how easy she has it compared to some mothers. I see a lot of mothers really struggling.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #206
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachita View Post
It's very unfair but on the flip side is that women CAN do it all.
Yes, but at what cost?

I'm 50, and was raised in that whole 70's "you can do anything" era. What we ended up with was not anything....but everything. We kept the responsibility for house and children, and gained the responsibility for working and bringing in an income.

It may not be a popular opinion, but I have a certain level of anger at the whole feminist movement....because it got us halfway and left us stranded in a place that is better for some women for sure....but a hell of a lot worse for others. Now we have time limits on public assistance, even for women with small children, because we insist that they work in order to get help. I'm not sure that's the best thing.

People will say we are better at enforcing support on deadbeat dads now...and maybe we are. After all, my own father never paid a nickel and walked away. But, having just been dealing with the Child Support Enforcement office for all of this year and recieving nothing....I would call bullshit on that.

My son was in childcare from the age of 6 weeks....too young for a freaking puppy to leave its mother, because I HAD to work. If I have one huge, overwhelming thing I feel guilt and sadness over...it's that. I never had the chance to simply stay home and be a mother, in part because I managed to reproduce with an idiot, but also in part because society as a whole decided that it was better for me to work than to simply be a mom.

So, yeah, we can do it all. I have done it all. I've been a single mom, worked my whole life, always been the primary breadwinner, always been the housekeeper and cook, put myself though college.....so, yay me. I am fucking exhausted.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:58 AM   #207
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Yup i've done it all too.

i think the difference is what's expected of us. Women have always done what needs to be done.

What i have an issue with is someone dictating to women what is expected of them to be a *woman*

A woman should be able to do whatever she wants/needs/desires to do without judgment or being told she is less than a woman/femme/mother because of it.

am i making sense?
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #208
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJo View Post
Yes, but at what cost?

It may not be a popular opinion, but I have a certain level of anger at the whole feminist movement....because it got us halfway and left us stranded in a place that is better for some women for sure....but a hell of a lot worse for others.

i am SO agreeing with this!!!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #209
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Queer (gender), female (biological marker)
Preferred Pronoun?:
she will work as a default.
Relationship Status:
*engaged to jac* until 8/10/14

Thanked 15,802 Times in 2,905 Posts
spritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachita View Post
It's very unfair but on the flip side is that women CAN do it all. I'm not going to get into the whole gender equality thing because in my perception there is no equality. And we all know that there are exception to the gender rules, however, how many men are working, raising kids and dealing with everything on Dee's list? Yes, there are SOME.
Jumping off Sachita here...

Yes women can do it all. And for a 3/4 of the cost, a fraction of the ownership and triple the workload.

I sort of agree there is no equality. I'm not entirely convinced that equality should be the end goal. Parity? maybe. I do know I am unwilling to settle for less than at least equal by my personal definition of needs/wants. And in my personal pursuit of my life's liberty I remain committed to working toward the equity women as a community.

Being raised by a super strong woman. One who really wanted to have babies and bake brownies... I've learned a thing or two about choosing and the unknown. My mom choose to marry my dad and have kids and planned on staying home with the kids. It didn't work out that way. And I am grateful. Because I got to see what it means to want and go for it ALL and the cost of doing it all (for less, with less and triple the workload).

Now I know. People can say all they want about what I am supposed to do. How I should live and what ideal I should hold myself too. And I am not going to buy it. Not with out looking at it. Examining it, finding what fits, what doesn't and how it can be altered.

I know I have it easier than my mom. Her telling me this doesn't make me angry or even doubt myself anymore. It reminds me who different choices and times lead to different outcomes. I treasure that she shares her lessons. Making my own choices and relying on community and resources is part of how I honor her.
spritzerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #210
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

Thanked 14,126 Times in 3,009 Posts
easygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

There are so many sides to that, and I can see and understand them all.
Having been a single parent, and then a partnered parent - partnered to someone who I did not share parenting responsibilities with- and then a single mom again, I have to say that the biggest part for me is that I have a choice.

When my daughter was an infant I was dating a woman who wanted me to move in with her, she wanted to support us, put us on her health insurance, the full picture. It wasn't in an oppressive way for her, she just wanted family, wanted to take care of us. I didn't want that. She was awesome and I was crazy about her, but I didn't want to be dependent on her, no matter how much easier my life would have been if I had gone with it. Around that same time we were talking with friends and they were feeling badly for me because I was doing it all, working, taking care of a baby, etc. However, I couldn't tell them enough that I was so thankful that I had a choice. I was also able to put extreme emphasis on creative a life where I could take my daughter to work with me and avoid daycare until she was much older.

The evolution may have brought us to a point where work/self support is not an option for single parents, and I hate how social services works with mothers, especially new mothers, and especially when newborns are in daycare and mother's hearts are being torn apart over it. I hate all of that.

But the flip side to is it, is that without the ability to go out and earn a living, women would be forced to remain in unhealthy, abusive, and unfulfilled relationships because they most often wouldn't have another way to support themselves. That's not a power dynamic I'd ever want back and it's not a home I'd want to raise a child in.
easygoingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to easygoingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #211
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJo View Post
Yes, but at what cost?

I'm 50, and was raised in that whole 70's "you can do anything" era. What we ended up with was not anything....but everything. We kept the responsibility for house and children, and gained the responsibility for working and bringing in an income.

It may not be a popular opinion, but I have a certain level of anger at the whole feminist movement....because it got us halfway and left us stranded in a place that is better for some women for sure....but a hell of a lot worse for others. Now we have time limits on public assistance, even for women with small children, because we insist that they work in order to get help. I'm not sure that's the best thing.

People will say we are better at enforcing support on deadbeat dads now...and maybe we are. After all, my own father never paid a nickel and walked away. But, having just been dealing with the Child Support Enforcement office for all of this year and recieving nothing....I would call bullshit on that.

My son was in childcare from the age of 6 weeks....too young for a freaking puppy to leave its mother, because I HAD to work. If I have one huge, overwhelming thing I feel guilt and sadness over...it's that. I never had the chance to simply stay home and be a mother, in part because I managed to reproduce with an idiot, but also in part because society as a whole decided that it was better for me to work than to simply be a mom.

So, yeah, we can do it all. I have done it all. I've been a single mom, worked my whole life, always been the primary breadwinner, always been the housekeeper and cook, put myself though college.....so, yay me. I am fucking exhausted.
actually women have come a long way considering where we were. I'm tired too but I also beat the odds, own my own home/farm, business. I am proud and grateful. I know the challenges all too well. I won't dwell in them. I'm not saying you are.

I use to get angry and pissed off by all the fucking obstacles I had to surmount. I felt cheated and often depressed having to do it all alone. I built this farm for me and my partner. Busted my ass and assumed huge responsibly just for her to fuck up, cheat and basically left me holding the bag. We didn't have kids but we had animals.

Yeah maybe I am a little exhausted now that I think about it all. My best defense is to live my best life and not pay attention to the fact that I'm considered a minority. lol
Old 10-30-2012, 09:41 AM   #212
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
Originally Posted by easygoingfemme View Post
But the flip side to is it, is that without the ability to go out and earn a living, women would be forced to remain in unhealthy, abusive, and unfulfilled relationships because they most often wouldn't have another way to support themselves. That's not a power dynamic I'd ever want back and it's not a home I'd want to raise a child in.

This is what i am talking about too. NO CHOICE. When my sister told my
Mamere (grandmother) that she was getting a divorce my Mamere replied (in a hushed voice) that she wished divorce was an option in her day. Made me sad. That woman had a hard life at the hands of my Papere and what was expected of her, because she simply did not have a choice. No options. Women were evil if they even spoke about divorcing, even with an abusive asshole. It was just not talked about.

So many times say *but mom was happy!*.. was she really happy or finding happiness in a hopeless situation? Making the best of it? Doing what she thought she was supposed to do? Saving face for the kids?

Did June Cleaver have a choice?
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2012, 11:16 AM   #213
PurpleQuestions84

How Do You Identify?:
Super Girly
Preferred Pronoun?:
Miss.Lady ;)
Relationship Status:
Single

PurpleQuestions84 Has the BEST ReputationPurpleQuestions84 Has the BEST ReputationPurpleQuestions84 Has the BEST ReputationPurpleQuestions84 Has the BEST ReputationPurpleQuestions84 Has the BEST ReputationPurpleQuestions84 Has the BEST ReputationPurpleQuestions84 Has the BEST ReputationPurpleQuestions84 Has the BEST ReputationPurpleQuestions84 Has the BEST ReputationPurpleQuestions84 Has the BEST ReputationPurpleQuestions84 Has the BEST Reputation

Thank god for housekeepers

"if you end up a life you never wanted because u listened to your parents, your priest, your friends, and your spouse, you deserve it."

PurpleQuestions84 AKA Barbie Dyke
PurpleQuestions84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurpleQuestions84 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2012, 12:53 PM   #214
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

If you are mad at feminism, then be mad at yourselves. The women's movement disappeared because it was reasonably successful. Middle class women completely abandonned the movement and the poor women who especially needed it.

It's our fault there is no women's movement.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2012, 06:52 AM   #215
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Talking Well...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleQuestions84 View Post
Thank god for housekeepers

I'd like to thank the the Leather Entities for houseboys/bois/girls myself.....
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2012, 07:16 AM   #216
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Thanked 12,310 Times in 2,057 Posts
Ginger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun_dee View Post
While i'm on a tangent.. ever notice how all of the cleaning product commercials are filmed with only feminine women using them?

Just once i'd like to see a man/big burly dyke in one!

What a good point!
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ginger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2012, 07:30 AM   #217
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

I'd like to see a big burly dyke on TV at all.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #218
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
If you are mad at feminism, then be mad at yourselves. The women's movement disappeared because it was reasonably successful. Middle class women completely abandonned the movement and the poor women who especially needed it.

It's our fault there is no women's movement.
Unfortunately you are absolutely right. I think it's one of the scummier parts of human nature (of most, not all) to want to take all the help, climb all the ladders to opportunity and success....and then pull those ladders up behind us so no one else can use them.

How many children and grandchildren of immigrants are screaming for us to close our borders? Lots....and it makes me sick. Same thing.

Too often, people "get theirs" and then turn their backs on the people coming up behind them.

Getting on a soapbox here....but I want to slap women of my age who let their young daughters absorb these messages of "what you look like is what you are" and don't say a word, and the media that perpetuates it ad nauseum.

I still contribute to the scholarship fund for low-income women at my alma maters....because college is what pulled my personal fat out of the fire. And I've raised my son to respect women and truly view women (and girls) as equals....not from that "let me help you little lady" place, but on an equal footing. I'm a mentor in my professional life, and my current "mentee" is a young woman...."coincidentally" they all have been....and generally women of color. And, an old habit from the 80s....if I'm standing in the voting booth and I'm faced with a choice I haven't researched enough to have a strong opinion....I choose the female name. Just cuz.

I'm not saying all this to pat myself on the back....I just wish we would all recognize what we can do to further equality...and keep pushing it forward in even small ways.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #219
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
I'd like to see a big burly dyke on TV at all.

Ain't that the truth. i think i've become so accustomed to seeing the stereotypical representation of the population i don't even notice it anymore.

i have noticed that when there are butch looking women on TV they seem to glam them out sooner or later. Queen Latifah comes to mind. i adore her don't get me wrong, but i loved her appearance more when she was young, tough and butch. Then one day she was glammed out. i miss the old Latifah, but it's really not about me.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #220
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

For years i was in the Big Sister program. Most of the girls were POC, poor, throwaway girls. Young, sometimes pregnant, sometimes pregnant with their own fathers/stepfathers babies. You wanna talk about some girls who feel hopeless?

Many times they joined me in Christmas at my Grandmothers because they had no where to go. i'd take as many as i could fit in my car. i had to be the shero, feed my own ego yaknow, only now i wonder if it made things worse for them.

i am glad we have POC in my family because i imagine it was strange enough walking into the Cajun Christmas madness at my Mamere's. After a little while they would relax but that had to be scary! Quite an experience that i hope they look back on and smile.

i hafta tell you that it only made me hate society more because i then had to return them to the girls home, i felt like a total prick. For one day they were treated well, my family always had gifts and my Mamere always had extras because she never knew who i would be bringing with me.

Then to go back to the home, that sucked.

i hope that our weekends and holidays made them feel less hopeless. i tried to expose them to what life could be like for them. That they were not hopeless. If all girls have to use as role models is what they see on TV, that's a sad case indeed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:

Tags
dismantling, dynamics, feminism, femme, kink