Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:
Very good. Thank you for asking.

Thanked 15,261 Times in 4,345 Posts
C0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST Reputation

If two is a trend then brilliant but crazy female leads is definitely a trend...Marcella" (doesn't get much screwier) and "Homeland (almost as screwy) are trend leaders.

Such interesting characters dealing with brilliant plot twists...but do they really have to be so nuts? I suppose that brilliant successful stable female characters aren't threatening enough to make for good entertainment.

What next? Women reclaim "hysteria" as a viable way to get into show biz?
The Following User Says Thank You to C0LLETTE For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2020, 08:14 PM   #882
firecat242

How Do You Identify?:
Woman first...anything after that is on a need to know basis.
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I am in a committed relationship with myself.

firecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputation

Hannah Gadsby......Douglas....standup with a message??? I don't know...just f-ing good
Old 07-17-2020, 02:52 PM   #883
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Thanked 12,310 Times in 2,057 Posts
Ginger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0LLETTE View Post
If two is a trend then brilliant but crazy female leads is definitely a trend...Marcella" (doesn't get much screwier) and "Homeland (almost as screwy) are trend leaders.

Such interesting characters dealing with brilliant plot twists...but do they really have to be so nuts? I suppose that brilliant successful stable female characters aren't threatening enough to make for good entertainment.

What next? Women reclaim "hysteria" as a viable way to get into show biz?
I join you in frustration at the prevalence of female leads who struggle with mental illness with some caveats.

Homeland is one my favorite streaming series, and Carrie's mental illness only deepens her character in my view. This is a tribute to her stunning acting ability.

On the other hand, I just started Marcella and have an opposite reaction. I find the lead character's apparent mental illness off-putting. Her sudden bouts of violence, happening in blackout episodes (not alcohol related) seem gratuitous, plot-wise.

Maybe that's because she doesn't seem to have much remorse regarding the impact of her violence on other people. So far, I just think she's an asshole (I'm only on the third episode).

But back to your point — my question would be, has anyone collected data on this? How many male versus female leads are mentally ill? I'd like to know if it's just perception or something that can be quantified.

To get some context, I just looked up the stats on mental illness in the U.S. and to give one example, 5.7 million adults, or about 2.6% of the population age 18 and older, are diagnosed as bipolar, and about one in five of them commit suicide.

This is from the National Alliance on Mental Illness:

--19.1% of U.S. adults experienced mental illness in 2018 (47.6 million people). This represents 1 in 5 adults.

--4.6% of U.S. adults experienced serious mental illness in 2018 (11.4 million people). This represents 1 in 25 adults.

--16.5% of U.S. youth aged 6-17 experienced a mental health disorder in 2016 (7.7 million people)

--3.7% of U.S. adults experienced a co-occurring substance use disorder and mental illness in 2018 (9.2 million people)

I was not surprised to learn that. I'm also guessing that with 30 to 40 million people out of jobs because of the pandemic and only 20 million on unemployment, there must be a lot of people without health insurance who are living with untreated mental illness. This makes me angry at our government and sad for them.

TV and film reflects real life so ... it makes sense that a certain proportion of characters would be mentally ill in one way or another. Is that proportion skewed to female leads? That's a good question.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:14 PM   #884
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,657 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orema View Post
The Trust on Netflix with Nicholas Cage and Elijah Wood. It’s about two cops, one who’s optimistic and the other not so much, who pull a heist.

Cage has become a caricature, IMHO, but it works in this film. Wood kept me interested but he’s an actor I don’t know well.

Nothing to write home about, but worth the time if you don[t have anything else to do.
I can't help it; I like Cage. Is he a great actor? No way, but I like the type of movies in which he excels (Gone in 60 Seconds, Con Air, Guarding Tess, Ghost Rider, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, etc). They are like cotton candy for my brain. No thinking allowed!

Elijah has done a lot. He's been in music videos from Paula Abdul to The Beastie Boys, plus TV and of course, the Lord of the Rings series. I think that's where most people know him. I liked him as Mumble in Happy Feet and in Cooties.

I've dipped my toes in a lot of Netflix ponds lately. I watched Cursed and it was okay but not super great. I've watched some movies but seem to find the ones that were made elsewhere and have English dubs so the words I hear don't match the movements of the actors' mouths nor the actual English subtitles so that's distracting. I finished a one season series called Flinch, which was kind of awesome if you are feeling a bit mean spirited and like to see people scream and be freaked out for no particularly good reason. I watched a couple episodes of The Chase but can't stand the "Beast". I watched all 4 seasons of the Beauty and the Beast remake. It was good for a bit and then became repetitive, which is why they went from 22 episodes a season down to 13, I suppose. Plus, I kept wanting them to even out the lead actor's facial hair. Also distracting.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2020, 05:36 PM   #885
GeorgiaMa'am
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ma'am
Relationship Status:
widowed - involved, poly

14 Highscores

Thanked 27,125 Times in 5,118 Posts
GeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0LLETTE View Post

Such interesting characters dealing with brilliant plot twists...but do they really have to be so nuts?. . .
Remember The United States of Tara? I guess her craziness was the point of the whole show, but it was a good one.

I'm still working my way through Fear The Walking Dead, which I like. I'm on season 4 and still have season 5 to go; I understand it has been renewed for a 6th season (although production is on hiatus due to COVID19). I don't see how they can get from here (mid- 4th season) to six seasons though; a lot of the main characters have been killed off, and a bunch of others seem to be on a road trip to meet up with the original The Walking Dead. What we're getting now (mid- 4th season) is a bunch of one-shot episodes whose story arcs begin and end in the same episode.

I'm also making a second attempt at Sense 8. I just couldn't get into it after the first episode, but I noticed it's on season 3 now, and decided to give it another try. I'm on episode 6 now, so I guess I'll stick it out for at least awhile and see how it goes. It's making a little more sense now than it did after just the first episode.

It's been so lonely without you here
Like a bird without a song
Nothing can stop these lonely tears from falling . . .
'Cause nothing compares, nothing compares 2 U

- Prince
GeorgiaMa'am is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgiaMa'am For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2020, 05:48 PM   #886
Bèsame*
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femm
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
☀️☀️☀️

Thanked 39,525 Times in 10,204 Posts
Bèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST Reputation

Netflix

A kiss is a whisper in your mouth.
Can I borrow a kiss? I promise to give it back.
Bèsame* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:24 PM   #887
GeorgiaMa'am
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ma'am
Relationship Status:
widowed - involved, poly

14 Highscores

GeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

I just saw an announcement that Lucifer Season 5 is coming to Netflix on August 21. Yay!

- Prince
Old 07-25-2020, 06:54 PM   #888
Bèsame*
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femm
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
☀️☀️☀️

Thanked 39,525 Times in 10,204 Posts
Bèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST Reputation

In the Dark
Netflix

2019 TV-14 2 Seasons Crime TV Dramas
A blind woman with vices finds herself in the middle of a murder investigation when her best friend turns up dead.

Definitely holding my attention. Very quirky. And her roommate is a lesbian. Love the sarcasm all over it!!

A kiss is a whisper in your mouth.
Can I borrow a kiss? I promise to give it back.
Bèsame* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bèsame* For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2020, 07:32 PM   #889
GeorgiaMa'am
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ma'am
Relationship Status:
widowed - involved, poly

14 Highscores

"One Day At A Time" (2019) is trending now on Netflix. The trailer says it has a new season. However, only the first three seasons are showing up on the drop-down menu. PopTV picked up the series after Netflix dropped it, and 7 episodes of season 4 are on the PopTV website. (www.poptv.com) Don't know exactly what is going on, but I'm really glad this Emmy-nominated series is back. Rita Moreno is awesome, and watching the daughter navigate her way through her teenage years as a lesbian/queer dating a TG is pretty interesting and funny.

- Prince
Old 07-25-2020, 09:49 PM   #890
VintageFemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 7,640 Times in 1,657 Posts
VintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST Reputation

I've been rewatching Lip Service on the Roku channel. It stills holds up so well after all this time. It was such a good series.
Old 07-26-2020, 02:07 PM   #891
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaMa'am View Post
I just saw an announcement that Lucifer Season 5 is coming to Netflix on August 21. Yay!
I know; I can't wait! There's one more season planned after that too and then it's really over. For sure. This time. Maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bèsame* View Post

In the Dark
Netflix

A blind woman with vices finds herself in the middle of a murder investigation when her best friend turns up dead.

Definitely holding my attention. Very quirky. And her roommate is a lesbian. Love the sarcasm all over it!!
I saw the first season on cable and really liked it. I see it's got a second season on Netflix that I want to check out.

Currently, I'm watching The Legends of Tomorrow and just started season 4, which is where I picked it up on cable so some episodes are familiar. Also, I just started watching Love on the Spectrum, which is about dating whilst on the Autism and Asperger's spectrum. My favorite person on the whole show is Michael. He's the best part of the show, I think.

I'm misunderestimated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2020, 05:52 AM   #892
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,088 Times in 8,590 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bèsame* View Post

In the Dark
Netflix

Just added it to my list. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
"One Day At A Time" (2019) is trending now on Netflix. The trailer says it has a new season. However, only the first three seasons are showing up on the drop-down menu. PopTV picked up the series after Netflix dropped it, and 7 episodes of season 4 are on the PopTV website. (www.poptv.com) Don't know exactly what is going on, but I'm really glad this Emmy-nominated series is back. Rita Moreno is awesome, and watching the daughter navigate her way through her teenage years as a lesbian/queer dating a TG is pretty interesting and funny.
One Day At A Time is also on the PlutoTV channel. You can get Pluto online or on Roku.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageFemme View Post
I've been rewatching Lip Service on the Roku channel. It stills holds up so well after all this time. It was such a good series.
Will check it out (thanks) and speaking of Roku, there’s a channel on Roku named TUBI (TubiTv.com) that has some good content. Just watched a documentary on Soul music that was good. Tubi even has a section titled “Not on Netflix.”

I love there’s so much content available these days.
Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2020, 06:20 PM   #893
clementinefemme

How Do You Identify?:
femme

clementinefemme Has the BEST Reputationclementinefemme Has the BEST Reputationclementinefemme Has the BEST Reputationclementinefemme Has the BEST Reputationclementinefemme Has the BEST Reputationclementinefemme Has the BEST Reputationclementinefemme Has the BEST Reputationclementinefemme Has the BEST Reputationclementinefemme Has the BEST Reputationclementinefemme Has the BEST Reputationclementinefemme Has the BEST Reputation

Finally finished OITNB! *crying*
clementinefemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to clementinefemme For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2020, 10:43 PM   #894
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,379 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Crip Camp, really good, Netflix.
Executive produced by the Obamas
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 02:11 PM   #895
VintageFemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Single

VintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST Reputation

I've been binge watching Lost on Hulu for the last three days. I remember watching a few episodes when it first aired all those years ago but for whatever reason, didn't stick with it. Now, I'm hooked. And, considering there are six seasons, it should keep me entertained for a little while at least. hehe
Old 08-25-2020, 08:44 PM   #896
Build A Bridge

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
off the market

Build A Bridge Has the BEST ReputationBuild A Bridge Has the BEST ReputationBuild A Bridge Has the BEST ReputationBuild A Bridge Has the BEST ReputationBuild A Bridge Has the BEST ReputationBuild A Bridge Has the BEST ReputationBuild A Bridge Has the BEST ReputationBuild A Bridge Has the BEST ReputationBuild A Bridge Has the BEST ReputationBuild A Bridge Has the BEST ReputationBuild A Bridge Has the BEST Reputation

Now, I just need to say, I don't watch it because of the skimpy outfit. I am actually not so attracted to that look. However, I can relate to theses confident, intelligent, and passionate women who are working hard to achieve their dreams. I got hooked on the tv show:

The Dallas Cowboy's Cheerleaders: Making the Team series

those women work their tails off!! It is only fitting that they demanded better pay! and looooordt! I could never move like that.. let alone in cowgirl boots! Kudos to them
Build A Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Build A Bridge For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2020, 11:58 PM   #897
GeorgiaMa'am
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ma'am
Relationship Status:
widowed - involved, poly

14 Highscores

I finally finished all the seasons of _Fear the Walking Dead_, and I am
R-E-L-I-E-V-E-D
because that bitch is on Hulu and I am sick of all the repetitive commercials.

I just started season 5 of _Lucifer_ on Netflix, another comic book adaptation for the small screen. So far, so good!

Next, I'm thinking about getting HBO Max so I can see _The Watchmen_.

- Prince
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeorgiaMa'am For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 10:59 AM   #898
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Quote:
*snip*

I just started season 5 of _Lucifer_ on Netflix, another comic book adaptation for the small screen. So far, so good!
I finished season 5 of Lucifer. They tried a few new things that I feel are going to be polarizing for some. I am anxious for season 6. According to Newsweek, COVID-19 may actually speed things up so instead of getting season 6 at the end of 2021, we might get it as early as next August. I wish it weren't the last season but I see how they can only go so far. I love this show so much!

I'm misunderestimated.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 05:04 PM   #899
Wrang1er

How Do You Identify?:
Me, myself and I

1 Highscore

Thanked 7,085 Times in 1,355 Posts
Wrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST Reputation

I watched the two seasons of The Umbrella Academy. It took me a minute to get into it but I did like it. It's a bit confusing how it jumps around.
Wrang1er is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wrang1er For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 08:13 PM   #900
VintageFemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Single

Rewatching Gentleman Jack and Outlander. Can you really watch Outlander too much? I don't think so. I can't wait for season two of Gentleman Jack and of course season six of Outlander. A Discovery of Witches was really good as well and waiting on season two of that also but with Covid, all of this waiting is just going to keep on and on and on. Ugh.