PDA

View Full Version : More Homophobic Bullshit from Itawamba

Medusa
04-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Remember Constance McMillen who has been all over the news as of late for being disallowed to the Prom?

As of late, we have discovered through various news stories that Constance was sent to a "fake" prom by parents and students. She, along with 6 other students, two of which who were learning disabled, were sent to a "fake prom" event at the country club while everyone else attended a secret parent-sponsored prom.

Today, I discovered that some kids have started a Facebook page to further bully Constance. The page is entitled "Constance quit yer cryin".

I have joined the page to voice my opinion and will be unjoining shortly. Hundreds of other folks have done the same.

To say that I am AGOG at the mean-spirited nature of what these kids and parents have done to Constance would be an understatement.

I have sent multiple letters to the school board and am now trying to obtain the address and contact info for the Parent Advisory Committee who helped sponsor the "secret" Prom.

Im just pissed and wanted to vomit.

Diva
04-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Medusa,

I just went to Facebook and typed in "Constance quit yer cryin" and there was nothing there.....

Could it have been removed in this short amount of time?

Thanks.

Cyclopea
04-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Joe.My.God. had some photos up earlier from the "secret bigot prom" showing all the happy haters boogying down. I just went to post them but he removed them. That's okay, they would have made you puke. :nauseated smilie:

Jet
04-06-2010, 05:15 PM
you have a lot of conviction and social conscience.
good for you.

Remember Constance McMillen who has been all over the news as of late for being disallowed to the Prom?

As of late, we have discovered through various news stories that Constance was sent to a "fake" prom by parents and students. She, along with 6 other students, two of which who were learning disabled, were sent to a "fake prom" event at the country club while everyone else attended a secret parent-sponsored prom.

Today, I discovered that some kids have started a Facebook page to further bully Constance. The page is entitled "Constance quit yer cryin".

I have joined the page to voice my opinion and will be unjoining shortly. Hundreds of other folks have done the same.

To say that I am AGOG at the mean-spirited nature of what these kids and parents have done to Constance would be an understatement.

I have sent multiple letters to the school board and am now trying to obtain the address and contact info for the Parent Advisory Committee who helped sponsor the "secret" Prom.

Im just pissed and wanted to vomit.

Medusa
04-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Medusa,

I just went to Facebook and typed in "Constance quit yer cryin" and there was nothing there.....

Could it have been removed in this short amount of time?

Thanks.

You might be able to get to it through my wall, babydoll.

Gemme
04-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Fuckers, the lot of them.

Medusa
04-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Joe.My.God. had some photos up earlier from the "secret bigot prom" showing all the happy haters boogying down. I just went to post them but he removed them. That's okay, they would have made you puke. :nauseated smilie:

Tell me about it. I just looked at some of the pictures *eyeroll*
One of them was of a girl doing the whole "make your first two fingers look like a V and waggle your tongue through it to simulate eating pussy" thing.
*double eyeroll*

And to all - Remember that the kids are just kids, Im directing my anger at the parents who sponsored the secret prom.

Gemme
04-06-2010, 05:22 PM
M---I have to say that even though they are just kids, if they are old enough to go to a prom, they are old enough to know right from wrong and that their behavior is hurtful to others.

For me, they get their share of blame and disgust as well.

Cyclopea
04-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Tell me about it. I just looked at some of the pictures *eyeroll*
One of them was of a girl doing the whole "make your first two fingers look like a V and waggle your tongue through it to simulate eating pussy" thing.
*double eyeroll*

And to all - Remember that the kids are just kids, Im directing my anger at the parents who sponsored the secret prom.

I disagree. Seniors in high school are responsible for their own actions- or lack thereof.

Cyclopea
04-06-2010, 05:23 PM
M---I have to say that even though they are just kids, if they are old enough to go to a prom, they are old enough to know right from wrong and that their behavior is hurtful to others.

What she said! :)

Diva
04-06-2010, 05:23 PM
I couldn't find the Parent Advisory Committee contact info. But I DID find this:

The Itawamba County School District needs to hear from YOU:

Superintendent Teresa McNeece
tmcneece@itawamba.k12.ms.us
phone (662) 862-2159 Ext. 14

Principal Trae Wiygul
twiygul@itawamba.k12.ms.us
(662) 862-3104

Let's keep those phones ringing off the hook. And I would encourage you, if possible, to fax your letters in addition to emailing them. The school's fax number: you can send a fax to (662) 862-5494.

Enjoy being subverse. :mob:

Corkey
04-06-2010, 05:24 PM
They are old enough to know how to hate, they are old enough to learn compassion.

Medusa
04-06-2010, 07:01 PM

Oh yeah, and I prettttttty much agree with this - Im just thinking that some of these kids are closer to 15 and 16 than 17 and 18 and that their emotional intelligence is obviously lacking.
I do agree that they know their behavior is hurtful - I think back to the "mean girl and boy" mentality of high school and how kids who are too scared to think for themselves will often follow the crowd because its "safer" for them (thinking of all of those Queer kids who "act straight" in small towns in order to keep from getting the shit kicked out of them)

I think that people at that age aren't wholly formed yet and that maybe hearing and seeing the backlash might help them evolve a little. Or not. :)

I do think that Constance is incredibly brave and level and has shown immense grace under all of the stabby stuff. I hope that in some small way she gains strength from seeing all of the thousands of people who support her and love her.

Selenay
04-06-2010, 07:12 PM
Oh yeah, and I prettttttty much agree with this - Im just thinking that some of these kids are closer to 15 and 16 than 17 and 18 and that their emotional intelligence is obviously lacking.
I do agree that they know their behavior is hurtful - I think back to the "mean girl and boy" mentality of high school and how kids who are too scared to think for themselves will often follow the crowd because its "safer" for them (thinking of all of those Queer kids who "act straight" in small towns in order to keep from getting the shit kicked out of them)

I think that people at that age aren't wholly formed yet and that maybe hearing and seeing the backlash might help them evolve a little. Or not. :)

I do think that Constance is incredibly brave and level and has shown immense grace under all of the stabby stuff. I hope that in some small way she gains strength from seeing all of the thousands of people who support her and love her.

If I'm able to the difference between acceptance and hate at 20, I'm willing to bet they know this stuff at 18.

I am unwilling to excuse their poor behavior simply because of their age; many of them will go off to college later this year, many of them will have their own bank accounts, cars, apartments.

If you are old enough to get behind the wheel and risk not only your life, but that of others (you can do that at sixteen, so even if they are young for their grade...) then you are 100% responsible for the affect of your "nonviolent" "harmless" actions.

Gemme
04-06-2010, 07:15 PM

Group think, absolutely, and trying to blend in and stay under the radar are definitely memories from high school I could do without. I am so glad to not be there now.

I agree that Constance has behaved with a grace light years ahead of her age. I appreciate that she's kept mum about her gf's name, to keep the backlash and media off of her. Whether it was her decision or the parents of the gf that decided that, it shows a maturity in her that she respects her gf's privacy.

Maybe I'm more harsh because:

1. I don't like teenagers in general.
2. I am a product of Mississippi and I turned out well and was respectful at that age, so why the Hell can't others be?
3. Living in a Navy town, I constantly come into contact with teenagers who've enlisted and I see the change that structure and emotional growth sponsor.
4. I want to enlist all of them that went to the parent-sponsored prom. Now. :blink:

I didn't know of many freshmen or sophomores who went to prom at my school. It was almost all seniors and some juniors. Or maybe I've just blocked those years out. Anything's possible.

Medusa
04-06-2010, 07:18 PM
If I'm able to the difference between acceptance and hate at 20, I'm willing to bet they know this stuff at 18.

I am unwilling to excuse their poor behavior simply because of their age; many of them will go off to college later this year, many of them will have their own bank accounts, cars, apartments.

If you are old enough to get behind the wheel and risk not only your life, but that of others (you can do that at sixteen, so even if they are young for their grade...) then you are 100% responsible for the affect of your "nonviolent" "harmless" actions.

How did I know you would check me on this?! :P

I think Im a little colored through my personal lens of evolution :)
My own growth around more evolved thinking didnt happen until I was about 19 or 20 - Until then, I had my head STRAIGHT up my ass. I have a little room to believe that could be true for other folks.

I do agree that they are responsible for their actions and wish I could pinch their little asshattish heads off one by one but I guess the believer in me hopes that they a few of them will be embarrassed by what they have done (in the public spotlight no less!) and maybe evolve a little...even become an advocate or ally.
One can dream :)

Medusa
04-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Maybe I'm more harsh because:

1. I don't like teenagers in general.

See, I KNEW I loved you for a reason :P

Selenay
04-06-2010, 07:20 PM
How did I know you would check me on this?! :P

I think Im a little colored through my personal lens of evolution :)
My own growth around more evolved thinking didnt happen until I was about 19 or 20 - Until then, I had my head STRAIGHT up my ass. I have a little room to believe that could be true for other folks.

I do agree that they are responsible for their actions and wish I could pinch their little asshattish heads off one by one but I guess the believer in me hopes that they a few of them will be embarrassed by what they have done (in the public spotlight no less!) and maybe evolve a little...even become an advocate or ally.
One can dream :)

I make this point not to check you or devalue your point, because I think my hope is as fervent as is yours that they learn from this.

I just feel that if we keep excusing this behavior as "oh they're just kids, they don't know any better" then we devalue them as adults and valuable members of the community. How can we expect them to be meaningful members of the community if they're always too young to know better?

And it's a hot-button of mine *s

Martina
04-06-2010, 07:37 PM
What most kids care about is what others think. That's true for lots of adults too. When it becomes uncool to criticize queer folks, only the true haters will.

But with their parents and administrators behind them, it will be a long time before that happens in that backwater.

Andrew, Jr.
04-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Nothing surprises me anymore. Nothing. Hate is hate. It is everywhere.

Medusa, thank you and God bless you for your compassion.

Diva, thank you for the #'s, fax's, and the people's names. You are a gem!

Love,
Andrew

EnderD_503
04-08-2010, 11:59 AM

I don't think this has anything to do with lacking "emotional intelligence." As for thinking for themselves, I also don't think that has anything to do with their age. Adults will also very often fall into the mob mentality just because it's safer and they prefer to be a part of the group than against it. To me this event has nothing to do with being a teenager or an adult, but has to do with the general human tendency to discriminate against and dehumanise those who appear to exist outside popular "moral standards." They refuse to think outside of what they know because they're afraid not to know, or not to understand, and that their structured world will stop making sense to them. Most people love to think of what they've been taught as set in stone or absolute, and when they're faced with something that threatens what they thought to be "right" or "true" they lash out. I think it has more to do with insecurity among both adults and teenagers.

Allison W
04-08-2010, 12:27 PM
I agree that this "secret prom" business was a real dick move, but at the same time, I can't help but smile when it's the haters who have to go underground.

evolveme
04-08-2010, 12:33 PM

I also agree that Constance should be commended. She's certainly brave.

What I want to speak to here is the back-and-forth about the developmental capacity of teenagers - whether we should expect them to be responsible (I believe we should) and to own compassion (I also believe we should) provided that we also understand their brains* and their environments. We need to have compassion *for* them, in order to expect it *from* them. And being from Mississippi, I can tell you that there isn't a meaty air of compassion from which to draw in the first.

The brains of teenagers are not fully formed. Their frontal lobes are "sluggish." They are high on impulsiveness and weak on decision making skill. This (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124119468) article from NPR came about when a pediatric neurologist decided to study what the heck was up with her teenage sons and why they appeared to be making such ridiculous decisions.

It isn't believed that brains are fully developed until into the twenties. So, I agree with Medusa, that while we can (must) hold these teenagers responsible for the poor choices they are making (we have to teach all kids to be accountable for themselves), it is really the parents here who must own what has occurred. Constance and every other teenager like her deserves that much.

evolveme
04-08-2010, 12:45 PM
I don't think this has anything to do with lacking "emotional intelligence." As for thinking for themselves, I also don't think that has anything to do with their age. Adults will also very often fall into the mob mentality just because it's safer and they prefer to be a part of the group than against it. To me this event has nothing to do with being a teenager or an adult, but has to do with the general human tendency to discriminate against and dehumanise those who appear to exist outside popular "moral standards." They refuse to think outside of what they know because they're afraid not to know, or not to understand, and that their structured world will stop making sense to them. Most people love to think of what they've been taught as set in stone or absolute, and when they're faced with something that threatens what they thought to be "right" or "true" they lash out. I think it has more to do with insecurity among both adults and teenagers.

Respectfully, EnderD:

To me, believing that this has nothing to do with a lack of emotional intelligence seems to contradict what-all else you have to say. It is the very lack here of this kind of intelligence -- not erudition, not academic learning -- but emotional wisdom, that leaves a person bereft of compassion and too open to the whim of the herd. To cruelty. To pointless and unnecessary derision. To "lashing out" at the unknown.

e

Selenay
04-08-2010, 07:47 PM
The brains of teenagers are not fully formed. Their frontal lobes are "sluggish." They are high on impulsiveness and weak on decision making skill. This (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124119468) article from NPR came about when a pediatric neurologist decided to study what the heck was up with her teenage sons and why they appeared to be making such ridiculous decisions.

It isn't believed that brains are fully developed until into the twenties. So, I agree with Medusa, that while we can (must) hold these teenagers responsible for the poor choices they are making (we have to teach all kids to be accountable for themselves), it is really the parents here who must own what has occurred. Constance and every other teenager like her deserves that much.

Right, that's entirely accurate and may full well explain why I, and so many other teenagers and early twenty-somethings are more apt to say, "Well. It seemed like a good idea, at the time..." than are our older counterparts.

However, there is a large difference between an impulse decision and a series of impulse decisions. If I decide that it's a really good idea to skip class and take a nap, that's an impulse decision that may not be the right one. If I decide it's a really good idea to skip class every monday for the rest of the semester, I do not think that falls under the category of my poor frontal lobe connectors.

There is a huge difference between the postulation that teens are unable to appropriately judge the consequences of their actions in the moment, and being unable to judge them in the long term--and this article does not confirm or deny that it applies to long term decisions, it focuses on singular decisions (with the exception of the goth change, which could also be attributed to the studies done on the effects of peer pressure on teenagers, in regards to their underdeveloped frontal lobe; i'd be happy to look for that article if someone is curious about it. )

Tommi
04-08-2010, 07:51 PM
I couldn't find the Parent Advisory Committee contact info. But I DID find this:

The Itawamba County School District needs to hear from YOU:

Superintendent Teresa McNeece
tmcneece@itawamba.k12.ms.us
phone (662) 862-2159 Ext. 14

Principal Trae Wiygul
twiygul@itawamba.k12.ms.us
(662) 862-3104

Let's keep those phones ringing off the hook. And I would encourage you, if possible, to fax your letters in addition to emailing them. The school's fax number: you can send a fax to (662) 862-5494.

Enjoy being subverse. :mob:

I love you...bumping because...

Thanks Diva...I love writng and faxing...Wheeeeeee:mountie:

Martina
04-08-2010, 07:53 PM
i emailed the superintendent a day or so ago. No reply of course.

Tommi
04-08-2010, 08:04 PM
i emailed the superintendent a day or so ago. No reply of course.

Look at these faces....(click on Adminstration_......Poor girl
http://www.itawambaahs.com/

(L to R) Mr. Trae Wiygul - Principal, Mr. Rick Mitchell - Assistant Principal

Mr. Trae Wiygul, Principal

Mr. Rick Mitchell, Assistant Principal

Mrs. Pam Wheeler, Office Administrator

Mrs. Cindy Johnson, Office Administrator

Itawamba Agricultural High School

11900 Hwy. 25 South

Fulton, MS 38843

EnderD_503
04-09-2010, 08:10 AM

Hi evolveme, while what you say about teenage brain development is true, I hesitate to accept that that was the reason behind this incident. Here's another article on the subject of teenage brain development (from 2002, but makes similar statements as your article) http://www.actforyouth.net/documents/may02factsheetadolbraindev.pdf.

In a study conducted at Boston’s McLean Hospital, psychologist Deborah Yurgelun-Todd and colleagues showed pictures of people wearing fearful expressions to teenagers between the ages of 11 and 17 while the teens had their brains scanned using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI). She found that compared to adults the teens' frontal lobes (the seat of goal-oriented rational thinking) are less active and their amygdala (a structure in the temporal lobe that is involved in discriminating fear and other emotions) is more active. The teens often misread facial expressions, with those under the age of 14 more often seeing sadness or anger or confusion instead of fear. Older teenagers answered correctly more often and exhibited a progressive shift of activity from the amygdala to the frontal lobes.

We know that Constance is 18 years old and we can safely assume her fellow students were as well since it was a senior prom. The findings of that particular study suggest that older teens display a higher degree of accuracy in interpreting facial expressions/emotion as well as in their ability to make decisions. It also suggests a progressive shift to the frontal lobes in older teenagers. If we consider that 18 year olds are, on average, much better at decision making and reading emotion than their younger counterparts, we can assume that they are at least, to some degree, capable of making rational decisions.

If we also consider that it is far from uncommon for adults with fully developed frontal lobes to make many poor decisions, I wonder how we can differentiate between a poor decision one makes as a teenager and a poor decision one makes as an adult, and if these adults made the same poor decision as these 18 year olds, can we really say, without a shadow of a doubt, that these teenagers simply made the decision because they were 18 and not 38? What these studies on teenage brain development show is that teenagers are more likely to make poor decisions because the frontal lobe is still developing, not that every poor decision they make is because of it. If that were the case, then adults with fully formed frontal lobes would not be making poor decisions.

I'm also unsure if I follow in your reasoning about owing Constance that much. To me, all persons involved should be owning up to what they did, not just the adults. I realise that you claim that the teens should also be held responsible, but I'm not sure I understand why there should be any difference between the responsibility taken by the teenagers and the adults. Considering both made equally wrong decisions, we shouldn't necessarily assume that one group did so just because they may be more likely to. We don't know that that isn't a decision they wouldn't have made as adults. I also think that by claiming "that while we can (must) hold these teenagers responsible for the poor choices they are making (we have to teach all kids to be accountable for themselves), it is really the parents here who must own what has occurred," we are taking away the weight of that responsibility. It's a bit like saying "you're responsible, but not really."

The other issue I thought I'd bring up is treating teenagers and young adults in general as though they are not real human beings because "their brains aren't grown up" and that that affects every single thing they do. To talk to a teenager like that (as this mother does in the article you posted) is really condescending and teenagers do pick up on that, which can lead to bigger problems, imo.

Respectfully, EnderD:

To me, believing that this has nothing to do with a lack of emotional intelligence seems to contradict what-all else you have to say. It is the very lack here of this kind of intelligence -- not erudition, not academic learning -- but emotional wisdom, that leaves a person bereft of compassion and too open to the whim of the herd. To cruelty. To pointless and unnecessary derision. To "lashing out" at the unknown.e

Lack of "emotional intelligence" (a difficult term to use anyway) is not always correlated with lashing out at the unknown, nor is it necessarily linked to compassion. Emotional intelligence is largely defined by the ability to interpret another human being's emotion, however, interpreting emotion correctly does not necessarily bear any testament to what a person does with that information. You seem to assume, and correct me if I'm wrong, that because a person correctly interprets another's emotions, that they will automatically be compassionate. A person may very easily understand that their victim is fearful or angry, but they may continue their torment of that person for a number of reasons, whether that be out of their own subconscious fear, their desire to feel powerful or myriad of other reasons. If the aggressors believed they were in the right (with their fear being subconscious rather than conscious), then it becomes difficult to evaluate emotional intelligence. At the same time we might interpret that, as you say, as a lack in the ability to see subconscious fear, but if that is the case how entirely aware are any of us of our subconscious?

Admittedly, I take issue with the term "emotional intelligence" because it is a bit of an unclear term that can be interpreted in a number of ways.

Cyclopea
04-09-2010, 01:18 PM
CHASE AND JORDAN GO TO THE PROM

This is a testament to Jordan’s über cool parents, to Chase and Jordan for being so open and honest and to Starmount High School and Principal Parker for doing the right thing. I want to preface the following by stating that I mean no disrespect to the school or it’s administrators. I know that unfortunately this is still an issue and Chase, Jordan, Leesa and all others involved are doing their part to change it.

I have come to know Leesa Nixon, Jordan’s Mom, as the very supportive ‘FagHagMom’ on Twitter. We have never met but our virtual friendship over the past month has been endearing. She is clearly a role model for any parent of an LGBT child. She is unconditionally supportive.

So when her son’s boyfriend, Chase wanted to bring her son, Jordan to his senior prom and he was met with opposition from high school administrators, Leesa came to his defense. Bravo!!. We’ve heard this story several times this prom season with mixed outcomes. It’s a shame that these scenarios still have to involve attorneys, the HRC and the ACLU. We all recall the ongoing drama with Constance Mcmillen, the HRC and the fake prom? Gross.

It’s a dance for god’s sake. Is this a reincarnation of Footloose where no dancing has been replaced by no non-straights? Below is Leesa’s account of the victorious experience that made the high school examine their policy on same-sex prom dates. At the end of the article you can listen to the audio voicemail message left by principle Parker. She seems a bit nervous but I have to give her props for basically doing the right thing. Although they just changed the school policy so that anyone could bring a ‘guest’ and not call it a date as opposed to allowing same-sex dates, it’s still a step in the right direction. Nicely done. Congratulations to all parties involved!!!

Below article written by: Leesa Nixon–Jordans awesome mom!

----------------------

Senior Prom that much-anticipated rite of passage for American youth. The moment they wait for all school year, it is the signal that they have finally made it through 4 years of high school hell and in a very short time they will be adults, living on their own, conquering the world.

The dreaded question, “will you go to prom with me?” has been asked and answered, “Yes”. What to wear has been argued about, discussed and finally agreed upon. Transportation, check! All the hard stuff has been addressed and they are all ready to go, right?

Wrong!

For Gay, Lesbian, Bi and Transsexual teens, finding a date and something to wear to the prom is the easy part. The hard part comes when school officials tell them that they cannot bring their same-sex date, or dress in a manner the school officials feel is inappropriate, “like wearing a tux if you’re a girl or a dress if you’re a boy.”

Take for example, the case of 17-year-old Chase, a student at Starmount High School in Booneville, North Carolina, who was called into the principal’s office April 6th. The following is Chase’s account of what happened next.

“Today, April 6, 2010 I was called into the Principal’s office, I was unaware of the reason at the time. When I entered the office, Mrs. Parker was in the room, sitting at her desk and so was Mr. Samuel, the Vice Principal. Mr. Samuel was sitting in the corner of her office. I went in and Mrs. Parker, the Principal, asked me to shut the door, which, I did.

Mrs. Parker then asked me to sit down, and I think I did, though I only remember standing, but I believe I sat down. Mrs. Parker then tells me, that she didn’t realize it until she looked at my permission form for prom again that I was planning to bring a boy to the prom or something like that, and then she informed me that I couldn’t bring a friend as my date.

Mrs. Parker stated, that it was because other people would want to bring friends and it’s a rule that they’ve had for a while now, that you could not bring friends to the prom. I informed Mrs. Parker that Jordan is not my friend, but my boyfriend and she replied that she knew my situation was different but she couldn’t let me bring him.

I then asked her, “why?” And she replied that she knew my situation was different but if people saw me bring my “friend” then other guys would want to bring their, and I quote, “Home-Boys” to prom. When I didn’t respond, Mrs. Parker then asked me if I had a “backup friend” a girlfriend to bring instead. I stated, “No, I won’t go” (Implying that I would not go if he couldn’t).

Mrs. Parker then asked me if I had already bought my prom ticket and I said no. Then she said nothing else and neither did I, until I asked if I could go and she said that I could. I told her thank you and she said thank you and I left.

Mr. Samuel never said anything the entire time I was there; I believe he was there to ensure that the conversation did not get out of hand.

This is not a word-by-word account of the entire meeting. But the “I know your situation is different” and “Other guys would want to bring their “homeboys” are exact quotes of what Mrs. Parker said to me.”

The discrimination that Chase was confronted with has been resolved. I called and spoke with his principal and informed her that not allowing Chase to bring his boyfriend to the prom was discrimination and a violation of his constitutionally protected rights. I threatened to call the ACLU, (which I did) and go to the media.

After our first conversation, I was contacted by Mrs. Parker, who informed me that she was waiting on the school attorney to call.

April 7th, Mrs. Parker left a message on my phone stating that she had spoken with the school attorney and that the school was going to allow Chase to bring my son Jordan to his Senior Prom “as his outside date” and that what they were going to have to do, was change the rule to allow students to bring a guest and not necessarily a “date”.

To be fair to Mrs. Parker, I got the distinct impression that she did not agree with this policy and was only trying to follow the rules that were in effect in her school district before she got there. She immediately went to work and corrected the issue at hand.

I applaud Starmount High School for their quick actions, I brought this issue to their attention and in one day they not only changed their initial decision, they changed their policy to ensure that this would never happen again. Although they change their policy to state “guest” instead of “date”, it is still a step in the right direction and they should be admired for their willingness to change. It is my hope that all schools would respond to these issues in such a fair and timely manner.

Thankfully Starmount High School did solve the problem very quickly, and decided to put a stop to this unfair treatment. Unfortunately, other schools are not willing to resolve these issues and discrimination without being told do so by the courts.

The educators in these cases are teaching hate and intolerance to our nations children, the example they are setting with their treatment of these gay, lesbian, bi and transsexual children only enforces the view that these teens and all homosexual’s should be ostracized and denied the same fundamental rights as straight people.

How is America the land of the free, where all men are purportedly created equal supposed to achieve a society of fairness, equality and justice, when the very people charged with educating our children are behaving in such a discriminating manner?

There are laws and school rules that prohibit hate crimes, discrimination, bullying, and harassment, but when the very people who are in charge of enforcing those rules and laws, are guilty of breaking them, who protects these children from them?

** Special Note of Interest

There is currently a bill before Congress that would protect Gay, Lesbian, Bi, and Transsexual students from this very type of discrimination. If you would like to take a stand against this discrimination, contact your Congressman/Woman and ask them to support and pass the Student Non-Discrimination Act http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.4530:

This bill, if passed, would “end discrimination based on actual or perceived sexual orientation or gender identity in public schools, and for other purposes.” You can read the entire bill at the link above.

I urge all of you to call Congress and voice your support of this bill. If you are unsure of who to talk to you may visit the House of Representatives website at http://www.house.gov/ to find out who your Congressional Representative is.

Stop teaching hate, don’t discriminate. Celebrate!! Jordan and Chase have been dating since September 2008 and hope to get marry one day.

Listen to the message from Mrs. Parker here http://chirb.it/g8aLsh

ROCK ON LEESA!! Hope you boys have a great night. Shine on!

http://blog.jackmackenroth.com

Cyclopea
04-09-2010, 03:08 PM
HEMYA2rTe90

SuperFemme
04-09-2010, 03:13 PM

I think the mean girl/boy mentality is just as prevalent in adults as it is in the young ones. It has been my experience as a parent that the children who use homophobic slurs towards my children (just for having Queer parents) are parroting what they hear from Mom and Dad.

We are all products of our environments, and it takes a lot of reality to break free from the group think of ones own family.

I think Constance is also a product of her environment, one that is accepting and loving and strong. One that stands up for what is good and just.

Soon
04-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Look at these faces....(click on Adminstration_......Poor girl
http://www.itawambaahs.com/

(L to R) Mr. Trae Wiygul - Principal, Mr. Rick Mitchell - Assistant Principal

Mr. Trae Wiygul, Principal

Mr. Rick Mitchell, Assistant Principal

Mrs. Pam Wheeler, Office Administrator

Mrs. Cindy Johnson, Office Administrator

Itawamba Agricultural High School

11900 Hwy. 25 South

Fulton, MS 38843

Ugh..did you see their mascot (is that the term?) for their school? A racist caricature of a Native American.

Messed up.

evolveme
04-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Right, that's entirely accurate and may full well explain why I, and so many other teenagers and early twenty-somethings are more apt to say, "Well. It seemed like a good idea, at the time..." than are our older counterparts.

However, there is a large difference between an impulse decision and a series of impulse decisions. If I decide that it's a really good idea to skip class and take a nap, that's an impulse decision that may not be the right one. If I decide it's a really good idea to skip class every monday for the rest of the semester, I do not think that falls under the category of my poor frontal lobe connectors.

There is a huge difference between the postulation that teens are unable to appropriately judge the consequences of their actions in the moment, and being unable to judge them in the long term--and this article does not confirm or deny that it applies to long term decisions, it focuses on singular decisions (with the exception of the goth change, which could also be attributed to the studies done on the effects of peer pressure on teenagers, in regards to their underdeveloped frontal lobe; i'd be happy to look for that article if someone is curious about it. )

I like the way that you're thinking (usually do; you know this) and while I see the validity of your point here, it's also true that repeated behaviors (good, bad or otherwise) can create neuron pathways in the brain, leading to automatic behavior (as opposed to in-the-moment creative behavior). It's fascinating that our brains can literally be changed by our behaviors, yeah? I'm not necessarily suggesting that the choice to cut class every Monday could become an example of such a brain change toward auto-pilot behavior, but I do believe that regularly chosen poor behaviors (and corresponding attitudes) can be.

Selenay
04-10-2010, 05:24 PM
I like the way that you're thinking (usually do; you know this) and while I see the validity of your point here, it's also true that repeated behaviors (good, bad or otherwise) can create neuron pathways in the brain, leading to automatic behavior (as opposed to in-the-moment creative behavior). It's fascinating that our brains can literally be changed by our behaviors, yeah? I'm not necessarily suggesting that the choice to cut class every Monday could become an example of such a brain change toward auto-pilot behavior, but I do believe that regularly chosen poor behaviors (and corresponding attitudes) can be.

What do you know of Exchange Theory? One of the criticisms of that paradigm is that for it to be entirely plausible, we would have to weigh the benefits of every single action we do--and some don't believe it's possible to do that. Others believe that when you make decisions on a frequent enough basis that you unconsciously make a decision based on your experiences. So yes, I understand your belief that the neural paths are branded by our common behaviors, but I cannot believe that any teenager could have made the decision to step on the rights of others enough time to create a new pathway contrasting what they (theoretically) have been taught about right and wrong; I think that takes more than eight years of conscious decisionmaking.

evolveme
04-10-2010, 06:33 PM
If we also consider that it is far from uncommon for adults with fully developed frontal lobes to make many poor decisions, I wonder how we can differentiate between a poor decision one makes as a teenager and a poor decision one makes as an adult, and if these adults made the same poor decision as these 18 year olds, can we really say, without a shadow of a doubt, that these teenagers simply made the decision because they were 18 and not 38? What these studies on teenage brain development show is that teenagers are more likely to make poor decisions because the frontal lobe is still developing, not that every poor decision they make is because of it. If that were the case, then adults with fully formed frontal lobes would not be making poor decisions.

I believe I went to senior prom as a Freshman, Sophomore, Junior and Senior. One could go provided their date was a Senior. I was only 18 the final year that I went. I'm not postulating here that this is the case of the students at this Mississippi "Secret Prom," but I imagine a good many of those students were not legal adults; not 18 years old. Can we say that these teens made any decision simply because they were [teenagers] and not because they were "38"? Well, EnderD, I imagine they made whatever poor decisions they made based on a number of factors: inexperience, lack of social awareness, lack of empathy, need to be accepted, having been raised in an environment of intolerance, impulsiveness indicative of their age, etc. Some of these things are, yes, more associated with being a teenager than with simply being a (depraved?) human.

A fully formed frontal lobe is not the card and key to good decision making, as you seem to suggest.

I'm also unsure if I follow in your reasoning about owing Constance that much. To me, all persons involved should be owning up to what they did, not just the adults. I realise that you claim that the teens should also be held responsible, but I'm not sure I understand why there should be any difference between the responsibility taken by the teenagers and the adults. Considering both made equally wrong decisions, we shouldn't necessarily assume that one group did so just because they may be more likely to. We don't know that that isn't a decision they wouldn't have made as adults. I also think that by claiming "that while we can (must) hold these teenagers responsible for the poor choices they are making (we have to teach all kids to be accountable for themselves), it is really the parents here who must own what has occurred," we are taking away the weight of that responsibility. It's a bit like saying "you're responsible, but not really."

This is a fine line you've attempted to parse from my words. Basically, it comes down to the fact that I believe all children are led toward acts of wrong-doing or right-doing originally by the adults in their given environment. Their motivations are eventually their own, but their aims are given birth in the arms of the adult humans that teach them by word and by example. By witnessing acts of cruelty, children learn to enact their own motivations for power in harmful ways. By having parents and teachers expressing negative and hateful sentiment toward Constance, and providing a "safe" prom for their own children away from her, they created an environment wherein their own children could be protected and inspired toward the acting out of their aggressions.

In a just society, we do not punish a child for the same crime and in the same way that we do an adult. In a *just* society.

The other issue I thought I'd bring up is treating teenagers and young adults in general as though they are not real human beings because "their brains aren't grown up" and that that affects every single thing they do. To talk to a teenager like that (as this mother does in the article you posted) is really condescending and teenagers do pick up on that, which can lead to bigger problems, imo.

I didn't get this from the same article. But, you know, when I speak to my teenager like this, she doesn't pick up on it at all (I blame her poor undeveloped brain). Do yours? Also, in our home, people aren't considered real humans until they can understand tax law and the true nature of death.

Lack of "emotional intelligence" (a difficult term to use anyway) is not always correlated with lashing out at the unknown, nor is it necessarily linked to compassion. Emotional intelligence is largely defined by the ability to interpret another human being's emotion, however, interpreting emotion correctly does not necessarily bear any testament to what a person does with that information. You seem to assume, and correct me if I'm wrong, that because a person correctly interprets another's emotions, that they will automatically be compassionate. A person may very easily understand that their victim is fearful or angry, but they may continue their torment of that person for a number of reasons, whether that be out of their own subconscious fear, their desire to feel powerful or myriad of other reasons. If the aggressors believed they were in the right (with their fear being subconscious rather than conscious), then it becomes difficult to evaluate emotional intelligence. At the same time we might interpret that, as you say, as a lack in the ability to see subconscious fear, but if that is the case how entirely aware are any of us of our subconscious?

Admittedly, I take issue with the term "emotional intelligence" because it is a bit of an unclear term that can be interpreted in a number of ways.

When I did a search to try to understand where you might be gleaning this very basic utilization of emotional intelligence, Wikipedia did express a similar point of view, but I don't consider Wikipedia an always valid or comprehensive enough source.

Here, I quote some examples on the utilization of EQ that I find relevant to the issue at hand. You may or may not find them of use.

“Payne (1986)… believed that emotional intelligence could be fostered in the schools by liberating emotional experience through therapy. Liberating feelings, he wrote, ‘will be no easy task politically…in terms of the social unrest it will likely create. But we must come to terms with this or continue to raise generations of adults who behave in emotionally ignorant—and, therefore, destructive—ways” (Payne, 1986, p. 441).

“…Cooper’s (1996/1997) EQ map begins with emotional self-awareness, emotional awareness of others, interpersonal connections,…resilience, creativity, compassion, and intuition, among other things” (Caruso, Mayor, & Salovey, 2000, p. 102).

As for the remainder of your post, you seem to be addressing sociopathic behavior or antisocial personality traits. This kind of pathology can be found in approximately 4% of the population. I’ve joked that it is more prevalent in teenagers. But I was only joking.

evolveme
04-10-2010, 07:16 PM
What do you know of Exchange Theory? One of the criticisms of that paradigm is that for it to be entirely plausible, we would have to weigh the benefits of every single action we do--and some don't believe it's possible to do that. Others believe that when you make decisions on a frequent enough basis that you unconsciously make a decision based on your experiences. So yes, I understand your belief that the neural paths are branded by our common behaviors, but I cannot believe that any teenager could have made the decision to step on the rights of others enough time to create a new pathway contrasting what they (theoretically) have been taught about right and wrong; I think that takes more than eight years of conscious decisionmaking.

Sociology gets me goin', man.

Okay. So, let's talk (loosely) of Exchange Theory for a moment. Provided that a teenager has been given what we might term a moral framework around which to center her or his own ethical compass (and many have not...also media directed toward the teenager does not foster it), the external pressure to engage in unethical behaviors are strong enough in our society (and others) to steer one away from what one knows to be "right," while creating varying (and progressively greater) degrees of cognitive dissonance. We could get philosophical for a moment and discuss whether and if these are perhaps the years in which the human is meant to learn the very essential need for social order by employing all manner of instinctual behaviors against it (while still under the protection of the family), thereby learning her/his value to the self and the group. A sense of ethics is both taught and built. Often, it must be repaired.

Rational choice is a matter of development and, person-to-person, a matter of degree. It too, must be taught, built, sometimes repaired.

I think that what the teenager is getting from negative social behaviors (acts of social aggression such as the homophobia directed toward Constance), thus why s/he does it, is a kind of peer approval. Acceptance. Validation that one believes correctly and that one is also safe from the kind of derision one is party to. I think that the need for these things guides this decision making - however many times, and however unconsciously - and that until the desire not to be party to something so ugly and painful becomes greater than the need for approval and acceptance, then these behaviors will only continue.

Admittedly, I have an evolutionary perspective on all of this, as I do on most things.

Daryn
05-23-2010, 09:24 AM
I am going to tackle this from a slightly different perspective. It comes from my views of how personal change is the first step to all kinds of other change. Most people and especially teens hold a lot of unexamined beliefs. I did.

While I did not grow up in the South, I did grow up in rural, red neck, stupid f**k Amerika and many decades ago. So all I ever heard was that queers were bad, immoral, etc. And mostly the concern was with gay males. Everyone I knew thought that way, pretty much. And if you wanted to insult someone a lot than throw in a homophobic pejorative.

While I did not believe in a lot of the standard local b.s. (I was against the war in Viet Nam and had my black arm band torn off the day of the Moratorium - my frosh year), I still bought into homophobia. So it's not like I needed my high school peer's approval or even my parents'. That belief was just unexamined and deep seated.

In June of 1969, Time mag ran a cover story about Homosexuality in America after the Stonewall uprising. I was finishing 9th grade. I read it. I had to look up a lot of words (sexual terms). My reaction was - those people should have rights but I don't want them around me. At that time I was had dreams of joining the SDS and blowing up banks and taking LSD. Well, I never did any of those three things. But......... here I am.

And what changed my thinking was my senior year I started hanging out with college students and grad students who were not from my home town (most of them were from very large cities). Some of them were involved in the theater. And I heard a lot of discussion where the narrowness of the locals (and that includes the next town over where this college was) was the butt of jokes. So essentially, I realized there was a different point of view than the only one I had ever been exposed to.

So the first part of any change is to change the way you think about things.

One of my mother's friends read me as queer before I was even 13. At the time, I had no concept of queer. But my behavior got a lot of attention and I did learn what was concerning them. And that's where I started learning gay was not OK.

And more years went by (and that many) I found the freedom (some people have told me courage but I've never seen it that way) to be with women. Coming to my masculine identity was a much longer and trickier journey.

There are openly queer kids in my hometown now and their parents don't disown them or kick them out.

So for the most part, I guess I'd blame the parents here. Not that teenagers cannot be cruel and mean. They can. And what is tolerated and what goes on is apparently a lot worse than what it was years ago. As a geek I got excluded from a lot of things but no one was ever too overt or in my face or anyone else's. Probably just as well as just about every teenager in the county had easy access to guns. While I don't condone kids who go ballistic, I think I can understand it as a response to bullying.

Toughy
05-23-2010, 10:29 AM
For 30 years, my Dad was teacher, coach, athletic director with a Master's in Natural Sciences and a Master's in Education He spent half of his teaching and coaching time in junior high school (7th, 8th, 9th grade). This was in small town of 9,000 where he was born and raised.

He always said that you could talk to teenagers until your tongue couldn't move and they never learned or heard any of it. What kids learned was from the actions of the adults around them......parents, parents of friends, teachers, school administrators, church folks........the example set by those 'older' and 'in charge'.

that old saying.........actions speak louder than words.........it is very true when it comes to kids.