PDA

View Full Version : Child Brides - Tradition or State Sanctioned Rape?

Medusa
04-10-2010, 07:45 AM
I found this article on CNN this morning about a 12-year old girl who died from internal bleeding after the consummation of her marriage to a person at least twice her age.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/04/09/yemen.child.bride.death/index.html?hpt=T2

I am naturally pretty sickened by this.

I am wondering if other folks feel that this is a form of state-sanctioned rape or if our experiences as Americans cause us to look at the tradition of "forced marriage" or "child brides" this way instead of as the traditions belonging to another country.
I am thinking about some of the "child bride" issues we have going on in our own country with the LDS folks and some other religious sects and thinking that at least in America, I would view this as an issue of rape.

This question might also tie in with the practice of female genital mutilation and how we view it here as opposed to how its viewed in the countries it is practiced in.

Curious about people's thoughts on this.

EnderD_503
04-10-2010, 08:42 AM
I think that the way the tradition of child brides over there is viewed is probably divided. While I was living in Europe I remember watching a news programme that was talking about a young girl in India, if I recall correctly, who tried to bring attention to the child bride tradition. Apparently she took part in an Indian tv show where one of the main themes was bringing awareness to the issue, and she apparently spoke out against it on more than one occasion. Apparently since the controversy things went downhill for her, but it does demonstrate that there are some young Indian girls trying to oppose the tradition.

While I obviously have no idea, never having lived in an affected nation, I would imagine, judging from that controversy, that some view it as a valuable cultural tradition, while others view it as an oppressive tradition that sanctions rape, just like that young Indian girl does. I'll see if I can find an article or video clip that talks about her.

Under our definition of rape, it certainly is rape, but when we consider that comparable traditions used to exist in the west (and again realising how words and their meanings change through time and according to tradition) as well it's difficult to slap a label on a tradition that wasn't formed within our time period, or coming from the same perspective that we are today. As wishywashy and subjective as all this sounds, I really do think it depends on which perspective you're coming from. Which doesn't mean that I personally don't see it as sanctioned rape, but I do think that's something to consider. My personal opinion is that it is rape, that it's an infringement upon the sovereignty of the individual and, as such, I am entirely opposed to it and do hope that those fighting to change the laws that allow it win out.

Medusa
04-10-2010, 08:51 AM
I think that the way the tradition of child brides over there is viewed is probably divided. While I was living in Europe I remember watching a news programme that was talking about a young girl in India, if I recall correctly, who tried to bring attention to the child bride tradition. Apparently she took part in an Indian tv show where one of the main themes was bringing awareness to the issue, and she apparently spoke out against it on more than one occasion. Apparently since the controversy things went downhill for her, but it does demonstrate that there are some young Indian girls trying to oppose the tradition.

While I obviously have no idea, never having lived in an affected nation, I would imagine, judging from that controversy, that some view it as a valuable cultural tradition, while others view it as an oppressive tradition that sanctions rape, just like that young Indian girl does. I'll see if I can find an article or video clip that talks about her.

Under our definition of rape, it certainly is rape, but when we consider that comparable traditions used to exist in the west (and again realising how words and their meanings change through time and according to tradition) as well it's difficult to slap a label on a tradition that wasn't formed within our time period, or coming from the same perspective that we are today. As wishywashy and subjective as all this sounds, I really do think it depends on which perspective you're coming from. Which doesn't mean that I personally don't see it as sanctioned rape, but I do think that's something to consider. My personal opinion is that it is rape, that it's an infringement upon the sovereignty of the individual and, as such, I am entirely opposed to it and do hope that those fighting to change the laws that allow it win out.

I'm glad that you brought up your time living in Europe, Ender! I'd be curious to know what Europeans thought of the LDS issue that was happening over here in America (last summer? or before?). I think I sometimes forget that its not as polar as America v the rest of the world. Damn that American-centrism! :)

I believe personally that it is rape as well but I also have value for traditions and cultures in other countries. I keep thinking about how very Patriarchal a lot of societies across the world are and how that might give weight to women being seen as "less powerful", as "property", and especially in this discussion, how "child brides" might be considered a "right" for some men.
I know it isnt as simple as pointing at the Patriarchy for everything, especially with religious interweaving.

I'll also have to admit my ignorance on just how widespread or ingrained the child bride industry is across the world. Need to do some reading on this one.

Thanks for the discussion! This stuff feeds my soul :)

apretty
04-10-2010, 09:09 AM
this film by female director Deepah Mehta is stunningly beautiful and completely heart-breaking... and well worth the watch, on the subject of 'child brides' (and child widows!) in 1938 India.

RewNn2r2P3g

(controversy on filming 'water' which was eventually filmed in Sri Lanka: http://www.brightlightsfilm.com/28/water.php)

more on child-brides/widows: http://www.kamat.com/kalranga/women/widows/

Lynn
04-10-2010, 09:45 AM
It's one thing to value and preserve the customs and traditions of a culture. I think it's really important to respect the past and take care not to impose our own ethnocentric values on another culture. At the same time, some things are just abjectly wrong, and can be applied to humanity. In my opinion, I guess I shoud add. I feel that it is kind of a smokescreen to say that this (the degradation and murder of women and children) is "our custom," "our tradition," or even, "our religion." I have a difficult time seeing these abuses as anything other than a deliberate, calculated effort to suppress the strength and power of women. Cloaking it in the guise of religion or tradition confuses the matter and makes it difficult to remedy without increasing the violence. Some things should be preserved and sustained, but not practices which degrade, maim, disempower, or kill women and children.

Andrew, Jr.
04-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Personally, I think of child brides as rape victims - it really bothers me, but that is because of my culture, not theirs. It is like the Japanese women who want to be geisha's, and their families hand them over to a "house" for being raised.

I have a very good friend of mine who traveled to Japan after he graduated from Yale. He felt that he needed to be involved with a missionary. In the end he returned back to the states. His involvement was with trying to stop child brides and their tradition of geisha's and training. It failed. It is that culture, and that tradition. Nobody or a group or whatever can intervene and stop something that is cultural or traditional to that area. It is what it is. No matter if we like it or not. Anyway the US is hung up on sex as it is.

Lynn
04-10-2010, 10:01 AM
I hear you, Andrew.

I respect your friend's desire to change the system. His failure to do so, however, doesn't mean that he wasn't doing the right thing. Marrying off children, who suffer physically and mentally, is wrong. I think objecting to children having sex with grown men is not a cultural "hang up," but a matter of right vs. wrong.

Andrew, Jr.
04-10-2010, 10:18 AM
Lynn,

Yes, I agree. He was and still is quite involved with that mission. He and his wife adopted 2 children from Japan since then. It has been eye-opening as to what he has shared with me. He is a very good man.

SuperFemme
04-10-2010, 10:24 AM
I think the biggest misconception about Geisha is that they have sex. They do not. In a country as steeped in tradition as Japan, the Geisha are the Matriarchs.

Corkey
04-10-2010, 02:04 PM
It's a explicitly hypocritical of the US based culture to try to tell another culture what they can and can not practice. Anyone remember the children of Native America and how their culture was changed to match what white americia wanted them to be. Massive failure.

Personally for me it would be rape, abuse, and not acceptable. But I don't live there, I wasn't raised in their culture to be able to speak to the issue (for) them. My sunglasses aren't rose tinted, our own history is full of this patriarchy.

Rufusboi
04-10-2010, 02:24 PM
It's a explicitly hypocritical of the US based culture to try to tell another culture what they can and can not practice. Anyone remember the children of Native America and how their culture was changed to match what white americia wanted them to be. Massive failure.

Personally for me it would be rape, abuse, and not acceptable. But I don't live there, I wasn't raised in their culture to be able to speak to the issue (for) them. My sunglasses aren't rose tinted, our own history is full of this patriarchy.

On the one hand I think you are right that we have to be careful about one culture telling another culture what they can and cannot do. On the other hand their are many women and girls fighting this tradition. Is it their fight only and we should just butt out and watch from the sidelines?

For me, a 10 or 12 year having sex with an adult male isn't just rape it is legal pedophilia. I can't imagine why an adult man would want to have sex with a 10 year old child.

I often think it is easy to call something like this tradition in order to get other countries to back off. Yet it seems that many of these "traditions" seem to hurt women and girls both physcially and psychologically.

I can't even think of one tradition that negatively impacts the physical, sexual, mental, and emotional health of boys and men on a wide reaching cultural level. Perhaps there are/were some but nothing is coming to mind right now.

Why are child brides almost always female married to adult males? Why are girls in FLDS communities married at super young ages but not the boys. What age are the boys generally married at come to think of it. I don't recall ever reading anything about this? Would we view this differently if a 15 year old girl were married to a 15 year old boy rather than a man in his 40s, 50s, or 60s? What does a girl of 15 think about being married to a man in his 50s. Has anyone even asked her?

Why is genital multilation performed on young girls but not young boys in the countries that habitually practice FGM? A lot of this is not so much rooted in cultural and religious traditions but in attitudes toward women, women's bodies, sex, ownership, ecomomics, defintions of chastity, and reproduction.

Rufus

BornBronson
04-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Well,it was sad to read about her death.Poor child,she had to marry a monster.Shame on her parents for allowing it too.

Some girls in this country just have sex out of wedlock,get pregnant,and raise a fatherless child.

I don't know which is worse for young girls in this world.

But who said this was ever a nice world,especially if you're born a girl.

Corkey
04-10-2010, 02:34 PM
On the one hand I think you are right that we have to be careful about one culture telling another culture what they can and cannot do. On the other hand their are many women and girls fighting this tradition. Is it their fight only and we should just butt out and watch from the sidelines?

For me, a 10 or 12 year having sex with an adult male isn't just rape it is legal pedophilia. I can't imagine why an adult man would want to have sex with a 10 year old child.

I often think it is easy to call something like this tradition in order to get other countries to back off. Yet it seems that many of these "traditions" seem to hurt women and girls both physcially and psychologically.

I can't even think of one tradition that impacts the physical, sexual, mental, and emotional health of boys and men on a wide reaching cultural level. Perhaps there are/were some but nothing is coming to mind right now.

Rufus

I will support the women and children's right to choose, not sit idly by and watch it happen. In the end it still a matter of their culture, how I see it doesn't concern the men who keep this alive. If it did it would have stopped eons ago. I don't know where we keep coming up with our way is always better than another cultures. We as an americian society can't even stop this on our own shores. I have a healthy respect for women and children who can change their societies from their view point. It still isn't up to me to interject my opinion on how they comport themselves. These are my thoughts not arguing with you.

Words
04-10-2010, 02:54 PM
I am wondering if other folks feel that this is a form of state-sanctioned rape or if our experiences as Americans cause us to look at the tradition of "forced marriage" or "child brides" this way instead of as the traditions belonging to another country.

The US, in spite of having laws that make having sex with a minor a criminal offence, has the highest rate of teenage pregnancy in the entire industrialized world with a not insignificant number of pregnancies involving girls as young as ten or eleven.

Perhaps, then, while we're expressing our outrage - again - at what happens in the Middle East, we could ask ourselves why it is that it's the 'state sanctioned' aspect of certain things that we find so abominable and worthy of discussion and not 'the things' themselves.

Words

AtLast
04-10-2010, 03:19 PM
When I look at this, I am mindful of what may be culture-bound. However, the numbers of women joining forces worldwide to fight against these kinds of things is not lost on me. If they want change and are the one's subjected to this, I think their cause is something to support.

As much as I get pissed at how the US can be so cavilier about things that apply to other cultures, I am not casting a blind eye to social movements of those that are directly affected by these kinds of situations. That, to me, is simply keeping my head in the sand.

Further, when the hell is the US going to deal with illegal underage marriage (and rape) within religiously sanctioned groups? LDS offshoots are alive and well in the US! There are others.

Rufusboi
04-10-2010, 03:35 PM
The US, in spite of having laws that make having sex with a minor a criminal offence, has the highest rate of teenage pregnancy in the entire industrialized world with a not insignificant number of pregnancies involving girls as young as ten or eleven.

Perhaps, then, while we're expressing our outrage - again - at what happens in the Middle East, we could ask ourselves why it is that it's the 'state sanctioned' aspect of certain things that we find so abominable and worthy of discussion and not 'the things' themselves.

Words

Words, good questions. I think the US teen pregnancy rate has a lot to do with sex ed (or lack of it) in schools; with the fact that abortion is not covered by most health insurance companies, that millions in America have little access to either money for an abortion or an abortion clinic, and that teens sometimes choose to get pregnant for a variety of reasons. Abortion in the US is very stigmatized. It is framed primarily as a moral issue rather than a women's health issue.

The recent murder of an abortion doctor doesn't help the stigma.

Some states require teens to get parental consent for an abortion or require parental notification. Parents can then block access to the abortion. The religious right holds a lot of sway here and often controls the debate on abortion and contraception.

Its interesting though that the UK has the highest teen pregnancy rate in Europe [although still much lower than the US). What are some of the theories for this? Is abortion/contraception covered by the NHS?

Rufus

sweetcali
04-10-2010, 04:17 PM
I found this article on CNN this morning about a 12-year old girl who died from internal bleeding after the consummation of her marriage to a person at least twice her age.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/04/09/yemen.child.bride.death/index.html?hpt=T2

I am naturally pretty sickened by this.

I am thinking about some of the "child bride" issues we have going on in our own country with the LDS folks and some other religious sects and thinking that at least in America, I would view this as an issue of rape.

This question might also tie in with the practice of female genital mutilation and how we view it here as opposed to how its viewed in the countries it is practiced in.

Curious about people's thoughts on this.

I read that article too Medusa, Every aspect of it makes me sick. I find these practices not only sickening but frightening. It doesn't just happen in what we call the underdeveloped parts of the world it happens everywhere. I have lived, worked and vacationed all over the world. I can remember many many practices directed towards young girls when I was a young girl and being absolutely horrified.

I think before one becomes totally judgemental though one also has to understand the cultural aspects of the area in which this “____” fill in the blank is practiced. I don't agree with the practices nor do I condone them. In fact they make me sick, angry and well just plumb fired up. I do not believe any human being should be treated in this manner especially a young girl or young boy.

I get and understand cultural belief systems. I have always been fascinated by them and have always tried to learn about them and if possible to visit the area just to get a better understanding. Well when I was able to travel that is what I did. Now I just read and ask a lot of questions.

Now as I have stated I do and understand the cultural beliefs that enable these primitive practices I don't belief in them. I find them to be barbaric, abusive and inhumane. When I was able to I was very involved in several groups that assisted these young girls. We helped them to escape, we educated, anyway we tried as many different ways as we could possibly come up with the help to reeducate the communities and the biggest hurdle of all was the belief system of that particular culture.
The are in which we live in very culturally diverse. One of my heathens best friends is from India. Her father dominates everything this child does. This young girl whom just turned 13 is the oldest of the children. She is responsible for all of the younger ones and the house work. She also is rarely allowed out away from the home to visit a friend by herself. Last week she was allowed to attend my heathens birthday party. I could tell that there had been quite a discussion that had taken place before she was allowed to come. Her father came into the establishment, scoped everyone and everything out, and talked with Mike and I about her return home. Now, what was interesting is that her father was not satisfied until her father had spoken with Mike. What I found sad about this day was that this little girl and her family will be moving back to India this summer. Why? Because the oldest daughter is now 13 and her father wants her to find a husband in India. I am also sure that if it hasn't been done already that she will suffer a clitorectomy. She is not allowed to come up the street to our house because we are too American. I have tried to have discussions; however Daddy isn't going to allow any outside education of cultural ways.

I find it very sad that even in our own nation we are allowing these practices. The hardest hurdle of all of these practices is breaking the belief system that tells them this is “The Right Way”. What I have found in working with others in this capacity is not just educating, but helping to move beyond the fear. Fear that nasty nasty nasty drug.

Sweetcali

(I hope this made some kind of sense as my chemo brain cells have not all recovered. Chocolate helps though.)

Martina
04-10-2010, 04:27 PM
The Quran says that women have a right to choose their own husbands.

The Yemeni cases have been appalling. There have been cases of girls raised in Britain who know little about Yemeni culture -- visiting their fathers or their grandparents in Yemen -- and being kept against their wishes and married to old men.

i have a Master's degree in Anthropology. The cultural relativism arguments have been drilled into me. I also know that we are at war in so many ways with traditional cultures, many of which are Muslim, and much of the politics behind that "war" are not mine. But i don't care. DON'T CARE. These are human rights violations. It is 2010 for all the world everywhere. Ruining people's bodies, minds, and spirits -- i don't care if your culture falls apart because of it, but end it.

If the Aztecs were still doing human sacrifice daily, i think the world would have something to say about it.

Women in the Middle East are working to stop these atrocities. We should support them.

i love Nicholas Kristof of the New York Times, who co-wrote Half the Sky. He helps women around the world tell their stories. He came to these stories with no ax to grind, no personal investment. He was just a reporter, and he couldn't turn away when he saw what was happening. i love people like that.

Gemme
04-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Years and years ago, it wasn't uncommon for girls to marry early and move out of their family's home here. Of course, that was because age 14 was not the same as it is now. Fourteen then is like 25 or 26 (guessimate) now, due to living longer and all of the lovely improvements and progress we've made along the way. For the most part, we've adapted our level of what is and is not an acceptable age for a girl to enter into marriage according to our growth and progress as a nation and as individuals, including the fact that we simply live longer, so there's more time to reproduce and provide for our families now.

A lot of countries haven't had the opportunities that the U.S. has had to improve the lifespans of the inhabitants. Part of me wants to fall in line with the 'but it's their CULTURE' crowd and part of me wants to acknowledge that many of those countries would be run very differently if they had access to all that we do here. Part of me also wants to turn vigilante and beat the shit out of anyone and everyone who's ever hurt a child, be it male or female. That's my shit to own and figure out how to cease and desist, though.

I started out with a clear vision of what I wanted to say, but I'm at work and a bit distracted and I suppose I haven't anything really to add to the discussion, I guess. *shrug*

Martina
04-10-2010, 05:07 PM

Words

You make a good point. There is an article in this week's Time Magazine about the Catholic Church, saying the fact that there are so few women in the hierarchy has meant that they have had a very different (and lesser) interest in child welfare. That's a western institution.

i think that the U.S. is not a bastion of human rights. So not. Look at our prisons. We allow amazing amounts of child poverty. Child prostitution is rampant. Yes, we need to look at ourselves too.

That should not stop us from calling murder, rape and oppression what they are wherever they are.

This is a link to Nicholas Kristof's page on the NYTimes.

LINK (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/opinion/editorialsandoped/oped/columnists/nicholasdkristof/index.html)

Here is one to a brief piece on Yemen - a few days before the other story broke, i think. LINK (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/04/opinion/04kristof.html)

Words
04-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Its interesting though that the UK has the highest teen pregnancy rate in Europe [although still much lower than the US). What are some of the theories for this? Is abortion/contraception covered by the NHS?

Rufus

What's going on now isn't so much a battle against teenage pregnancy - I rather think that the powers that be have given up on that one - but one against sexually transmitted diseases, especially chlamydia, with the condom being touted as the weapon of choice. Magazines, TV, radio, the ads are literally all over the place and I know from the conversations I had with my 18-year-old son that they are having an impact. I would imagine that in the old days, boys his age were afraid of getting a girl pregnant and it was that fear that motivated them to wear condoms. Now, on the other hand, it seems to be the fear of 'catching something' that motivates them to - as our beloved (not) Jeremy Kyle (the UK version of Jerry Springer) puts it so eloquently - ''put something on the end of it,'' which they're able to do fairly easily thanks to the fact that any male under the of 25 can go to his local sexual health clinic and apply for a card, the presenting of which entitles him to walk into any local pharmacy and request as many condoms as he requires. (I said ''any male'' but I'm not sure if there's a lower age limit - I'll have to check it out. Same re. legislation concerning abortion.)

What about in the States, anything similar there?

Words

Toughy
04-10-2010, 05:35 PM
the only places I have ever seen free condoms is in most gay boy/leather bars..........and a few dyke bars....while I don't frequent straight bars, the rare times I have been in one there were no condoms anywhere or any info on safer sex.

I have no idea if free condoms are available on request in public schools........my guess is nope not gonna happen even in San Francisco..

Remember........in the US......Kansas teaches 'creation science' as a viable alternative to evolution in the public schools.....kids can opt out of 'sex education' everywhere.......public school textbooks in many places call this country a 'christian nation' and write Jefferson (the 2nd President) out of our textbooks along with LBJ, FDR, MLK and probably Obama in a few years.

Martina
04-10-2010, 05:44 PM
They are not available in my school. We used to have a health clinic bus that stopped by once a month, and kids could get them from them. But they stopped coming by.

Rufusboi
04-10-2010, 05:51 PM
What's going on now isn't so much a battle against teenage pregnancy - I rather think that the powers that be have given up on that one - but one against sexually transmitted diseases, especially chlamydia, with the condom being touted as the weapon of choice. Magazines, TV, radio, the ads are literally all over the place and I know from the conversations I had with my 18-year-old son that they are having an impact. I would imagine that in the old days, boys his age were afraid of getting a girl pregnant and it was that fear that motivated them to wear condoms. Now, on the other hand, it seems to be the fear of 'catching something' that motivates them to - as our beloved (not) Jeremy Kyle (the UK version of Jerry Springer) puts it so eloquently - ''put something on the end of it,'' which they're able to do fairly easily thanks to the fact that any male under the of 25 can go to his local sexual health clinic and apply for a card, the presenting of which entitles him to walk into any local pharmacy and request as many condoms as he requires. (I said ''any male'' but I'm not sure if there's a lower age limit - I'll have to check it out. Same re. legislation concerning abortion.)

What about in the States, anything similar there?

Words

Free condoms, no. Condoms can be purchased just about anywhere, including gas stations and wal mart. Like some others said, I see them given out at gay bars and gay pride. Maybe planned parenthood clinics give them out for free, but I'm not sure. Possibly county health clinics perhaps, not sure though. Condoms in schools are pretty much a no no I think. Some schools won't even let the school nurse give any kind of contraceptive information out, let alone condoms.

But as for fighting STDs, I don't even remember the last time I saw a public health Ad on TV for AIDS let alone anything else. There was a lot of info on HPV for a while and then a big fuss over requiring girls to get the HPV vaccine (some stupid parents said it would encourage underage sex; I'm not sure how they linked an HPV vaccine to promoting sex but contortions of logic are not unusual).

Rufus

Toughy
04-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Concerning the topic of this thread.........

I have absolutely no patience or rationalization for any culture/society/group/religion that refuses to allow girls and women (and boys and men) autonomy. Patriarchy is the scourge of this world and the root cause of racism, sexism, homophobia and war.

Like it or not..............monotheism is the root of this......the God of Abraham (Judiasm, Christianity, Islam) is the root of patriarchy and all that entails.

No girl, boy, woman, or man should be bought or sold as chattel to another person in the form of marriage or servitude. Using religion/culture as the excuse is barbaric and must be stopped all over the world.

Corkey
04-10-2010, 06:08 PM
I can safely say I agree with Toughy on point. Problem is that we as the abused and under represented are spinning our wheels. We can't make policy on religion in any other culture. Hell we can't even agree on the nature of religion here. It's a great ideal to espouse, and I'm fully behind it, but until all men have given up their privilege, I can see nothing changing.
All I can do as a citizen of the world is express my outrage, and give my support to those who can effect their own change.

Nat
04-10-2010, 08:13 PM
I think when a child or adult is forced to have sex, it is rape. I think that when a child or adult is basically sold to another person, forced to be legally bound to that person, forced to have sex with that person, it is sexual slavery. If it were just a question of age of consent, I could go with cultural relativist arguments more easily. I'm glad the state of Texas took all those kids away from that polygamist cult that was marrying young girls off to adult men.

Hundreds of Yemeni women did show up outside Yemen's parliament to support a law stating the minimum age for girls to marry to be set at 17 (for girls) and 18 (for boys). linky (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8583585.stm)

The statistics regardng sexual abuse/assault of children in the US vary, but it's in no way uncommon. People just don't have to marry their victims here to gain access to them.

Nat
04-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Concerning the topic of this thread.........

I have absolutely no patience or rationalization for any culture/society/group/religion that refuses to allow girls and women (and boys and men) autonomy. Patriarchy is the scourge of this world and the root cause of racism, sexism, homophobia and war.

Like it or not..............monotheism is the root of this......the God of Abraham (Judiasm, Christianity, Islam) is the root of patriarchy and all that entails.

No girl, boy, woman, or man should be bought or sold as chattel to another person in the form of marriage or servitude. Using religion/culture as the excuse is barbaric and must be stopped all over the world.

Agreed.

Agreed. I might also add that it's a specific type of monotheism involving the worshipping of a gendered male "father" god. I think even atheists and others who are non-monotheistic but who come from a monotheistic male-centered religious background (or from a culture where such religion is dominant) will still perpetuate the traditions of patriarchy unless they are for whatever reason dedicated feminists. It's not just religion though - it's everywhere. In every card deck, every chess game. It's built-in everywhere.

Agreed.

Corkey
04-10-2010, 08:29 PM
I think when a child or adult is forced to have sex, it is rape. I think that when a child or adult is basically sold to another person, forced to be legally bound to that person, forced to have sex with that person, it is sexual slavery. If it were just a question of age of consent, I could go with cultural relativist arguments more easily. I'm glad the state of Texas took all those kids away from that polygamist cult that was marrying young girls off to adult men.

Hundreds of Yemeni women did show up outside Yemen's parliament to support a law stating the minimum age for girls to marry to be set at 17 (for girls) and 18 (for boys). linky (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8583585.stm)

The statistics regardng sexual abuse/assault of children in the US vary, but it's in no way uncommon. People just don't have to marry their victims here to gain access to them.

The children were given back, and the cult is still practicing. Our republic is no better than any other that permits this. For me, until we as a Nation can come at this problem with clean hands, we have no standing with other countries to prohibit what their culture does. Yes, I personally find it rape, abuse and disgusting inhuman behavior. Yet my personal beliefs hold no water in any other country. I am not a diplomat, and I have no standing to force my beliefs on another. I do not condone any of it.
Just my .02

IrishGrrl
04-10-2010, 08:34 PM
Dusa,
Have you read the book.. "The purity myth"? Just finished it and it's amazing..heres a link..if you want, I'll send you mine.

Rish

Amazon.com: The Purity Myth: How America's Obsession with Virginity Is Hurting Young Women (9781580052535): Jessica Valenti: Books

Nat
04-10-2010, 08:50 PM
The children were given back, and the cult is still practicing. Our republic is no better than any other that permits this. For me, until we as a Nation can come at this problem with clean hands, we have no standing with other countries to prohibit what their culture does. Yes, I personally find it rape, abuse and disgusting inhuman behavior. Yet my personal beliefs hold no water in any other country. I am not a diplomat, and I have no standing to force my beliefs on another. I do not condone any of it.
Just my .02

Dangit - I was just reading about it but apparently the article was old. I didn't realize they were given back. Ugh. So yeah, the US sucks too obviously.

I think identifying injustice, oppression and abuse is really the easy part - especially easy if pointing fingers across oceans, religions and cultures. Working in support of equality, freedom, human rights - I think that's the harder part.

I don't know what really does "hold water" - even in this country - except money and maybe airtime. I think the chance of saving some other country's women from oppression is not nearly as good as the chance of supporting the women in one's own midst (or even one's self) who suffer from oppression, violence, poverty, self-oppression.

Toughy
04-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Agreed.

Agreed. I might also add that it's a specific type of monotheism involving the worshipping of a gendered male "father" god. I think even atheists and others who are non-monotheistic but who come from a monotheistic male-centered religious background (or from a culture where such religion is dominant) will still perpetuate the traditions of patriarchy unless they are for whatever reason dedicated feminists. It's not just religion though - it's everywhere. In every card deck, every chess game. It's built-in everywhere.

Agreed.

Agreed

Have you read Rianne Eisler's The Chalice and The Blade?.

I would love to live in a world that was neither patriarchal or matriarchal. In a partnership based culture rather than a competitive based culture.

Nat
04-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Agreed

Have you read Rianne Eisler's The Chalice and The Blade?.

I would love to live in a world that was neither patriarchal or matriarchal. In a partnership based culture rather than a competitive based culture.

No I haven't, but I'd like to.

I would love to live in that world too.

Cyclopea
04-11-2010, 12:52 AM
It will be interesting to see how things play out in Yemen re: child brides. Both pro and con sides have made very public protests in the last few weeks which I suppose has captured the attention of some international media, hence the article.
As to the question of tradition or state sanctioned rape I don't think they are mutually exclusive. I vote on the side of human rights, and find the courage of the Yemeni women bringing about this change very inspiring.