PDA

View Full Version : Need some support-losing an eye....

Lady_Wu
05-02-2010, 01:50 PM
I went to see my eye doctor Thursday. He told me that I have 1 tenth of my optic nerve left in my right eye, plus cataracts in both eyes. He also said that soon I would lose all vision in my right eye, b/c the optic nerve is so damaged that the little left won't support my vision. I have MS. That, plus the medication I have to be on FOR MS, is destroying that optic nerve. And he can't say that my other eye won't be affected when I have to rely on just it.
reading and studying are the biggest part of my life. I now have to restrict my read/computer time to one hour every six hours.
I am dealing with this but it is not easy. Thank you for listening to me.
Lady_Wu

Darth Denkay
05-02-2010, 02:09 PM
(((Lady-Wu)))

I can't imagine what you are facing right now. Just know you are in my thoughts, keep dealing the best you can, know you are loved.

WolfyOne
05-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Lady Wu, I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers for all you're going through not just your eye.

Not many know this about me, but I have a blind spot in my left eye from birth or so I've been told. There are things I've never been able to adapt to and other things I can breeze by. I have no depth perception, so I can't use some power tools, like saws. I can't play tennis and gosh knows I've tried since I was a kid.

Anyhow, perhaps it'll be an adjustment for you, but don't let the eye doctor scare you. Keep doing what you do even if you need strong lenses in glasses. I mean, don't give up the fight just because of one doc's evaluation. Maybe with some research, you may find another doc that can help you better. There's always new procedures coming out to make our lives a little easier.

FullCircle
05-02-2010, 02:58 PM
You may want to consider consuming mass doses of omega III fatty acids perhaps in the form of a high quality krill oil. I was able to reduce the need for reading glasses and I'll be fifty this year. Other side effects of taking krill are a more flexible thought process, hormone regulation (less hot flashes), shrinking tumors, increased ability to withstand extreme cold and gorgeous skin.

-e

Andrew, Jr.
05-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Lady Wu,

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Please check your pm messages.

Peace and love,
Andrew, Dino, and Gang

Queerasfck
05-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Will keep in you in our thoughts. Sending out good wishes to you young lady. Best of luck.

Cyclopea
05-02-2010, 03:10 PM
So sorry for your troubles ((((((Lady Wu))))))...
Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
:(
Hang in there hon.

Lady Pamela
05-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Many hugs to you (((Lady-Wu))) !!!

Know that there are people out here concerned and in your corner.

Jedi
05-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Lady_Wu,

I'm sorry for what's happening. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. My father had soem eye surgery this year. In August...his eye still isn't right and might not ever be. I have been experiencing some symptoms that my retina may be detaching. My eye is fine though. I have just had 2 scary blind episodes (I'll explain if you want). My roommate has MS and is in a wheelchair and I think this year I'm doing the MS walk. She is a great inspiration. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.....

Jedi

Soft*Silver
05-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Lady Wu...it is indeed frightening when your eyes are damaged. I have had 11 surgeries between both eyes for retinal detachment, and two corneal surgeries to correct corneal warping. It appears I need another one of the latter sometime soon.

One of the things I would suggest is to contact your bureau of vocational rehab. Their job is to keep you employable. If you need any adaptive tools, they can help you get them. They can also help pick up the cost of your education and purchase your textbooks in large print or audio. They have helped me and it was a saving grace. They even paid for my one set of surgeries because I was in between insurances and had I not had it done at the time, I would surely have gone blind.

Nat
05-02-2010, 05:10 PM
reading and studying are the biggest part of my life. I now have to restrict my read/computer time to one hour every six hours.
Lady_Wu

Lady_Wu - I'm so very sorry this is happening to you.

If you are going to have to restrict your read/computer time so severely - I know it obviously isn't the same - but there is so much more to listen to now than there were even 5 years ago.

I don't know what your tastes are, but

http://www.librivox.org is an all-volunteer resource for audio files of classic literature - it's growing all the time.

Berkeley also podcasts several of their courses, and that can be really satisfying to hear. I got to listen to two different profs teach the same survey literature course a few years ago and it was really interesting to hear their separate takes.

http://webcast.berkeley.edu/courses.php

There are also many interesting podcasts you can download if you just search subjects you are interested in through itunes.

I know also in Austin there is a group that will actually read textbooks and other items requested by their clients. If you check with your local college/university's disability office, they may know if there is a local group who can make recordings for you of the books you would like to read.

I know there is software that will also read to you, but I can't pay attention to the electronic, non-human voice.

Again, I'm sorry you're in this situation. :/

Unndunn
05-02-2010, 05:41 PM
I went to see my eye doctor Thursday. He told me that I have 1 tenth of my optic nerve left in my right eye, plus cataracts in both eyes. He also said that soon I would lose all vision in my right eye, b/c the optic nerve is so damaged that the little left won't support my vision. I have MS. That, plus the medication I have to be on FOR MS, is destroying that optic nerve. And he can't say that my other eye won't be affected when I have to rely on just it.
Lady_Wu

what a terrrible thing to be dealing with. I know it isn't the same, but I think there are a lot of books on tape and other programs that you might be able to find that will "read" for you. Please take care of yourself. I wish you the best.

weatherboi
05-02-2010, 06:03 PM
hey Lady_Wu-

i will be thinking about you and this difficult journey!!! my words fall short to my feelings for your situation!! you will be in my thoughts on the daily!!

Abigail Crabby
05-02-2010, 06:15 PM
(((( Lady Wu )))) I'm so sorry to hear about what you are facing.

Blaze
05-02-2010, 06:32 PM
I am very saddened to hear of this Lady Wu...
My deepest heart felt prayers will be for you.
It is not news that anyone wants to hear, but in life
it happens.
Have you also made it a point to get another opinion???
Just asking because I was diagnosed with one thing and went to another Doctor and he said it was treatable with eye drops
and or laser surgery.

key
05-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Lady Wu

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Key

Zimmeh
05-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Ms. Lady,

I am sending you warm wishes to you and hopes the dr's can help you without you having to lose your eyesight.

Hugs,

Zimmy

Lady_Wu

Lady_Wu
05-04-2010, 06:25 PM
I have read all of your posts. Thank you so much for your support and encouragement! Thanks esp. to the one who sent links to audio help available! I'm afraid the voc rehab laughed when I talked to them-too many things wrong to work. I try to do some small good by clicking on site that done books to other, food, etc just by clicking on "buttons" everyday. I am saddened to think that one of my capabilities-and they are still many!-should be essentially housebound and without means to volunteer at the local library. Anyone know of volunteer work that can be done at home?
Lady_Wu (w)

WingsOnFire
05-04-2010, 06:37 PM
I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers... I hope you find the help that you need and continue to take the strength and love given here...

NJFemmie
05-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Wow, I just saw this thread.

Years ago, I suffered from a disease called papiledema. One of the effects of this was that it damaged the optic nerves and ultimately causes blindness. I was fortunate in that I caught it in time and have been asymptomatic for many years now. But this just makes me sad.

You're in my thoughts and prayers.

always2late
05-21-2010, 08:13 AM
(((Lady Wu))) you are in my thoughts and prayers. (f)

Greyson
05-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Lady Wu,
Some of my first thoughts went to what is the new software technology? The lectures from many universities you can now down load and hear, for free.

I agree with a previous poster about getting another medical opinion. My thoughts and best wishes are with you.

JustBeingMe
05-21-2010, 01:40 PM
:candle::praying::vigil:(f) Just for you LadyWu.
You are in my thoughts and prayers as well.

Sweet_Amor_Taino
02-24-2011, 10:21 PM
Lady Wu I will add you to my prayers. :bunchflowers:
Hugs Taino