PDA

View Full Version : Teacher Beats Student

SuperFemme
05-13-2010, 10:25 AM
Why isn't she in jail? What are your thoughts when watching this?

6H9lRQD223A

Linus
05-13-2010, 10:28 AM
What's a charter school?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20004788-504083.html <--- this news article says that the teacher has been fired and is being investigated by the local authorities.

SuperFemme
05-13-2010, 10:31 AM
A charter school is a public school with a special purpose kind of. I think. My son goes to a charter school for the fine arts. The school in question here is a school for children with behavioral issues from my understanding.

Still, I think the teacher who did the hitting and the teachers who stood by and watched should all be fired and thrown in jail. I am horrified at the brutality of this, but more horrified at the laughs and giggles in the background.

Medusa
05-13-2010, 10:32 AM
Oh. My. GAWD.

I literally covered my mouth and wanted to throw up seeing this. That poor fucking kid and he looked terrified. OMG.

SuperFemme
05-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Oh. My. GAWD.

I literally covered my mouth and wanted to throw up seeing this. That poor fucking kid and he looked terrified. OMG.

Why isn't she in jail? I am bewildered and angry.

Lillie
05-13-2010, 10:36 AM
WTF..If that was either one of my kids at the receiving end of that..I WOULD BE IN JAIL! period end of story...

I can't believe she has not been arrested already!

sickens me

Andrew, Jr.
05-13-2010, 10:43 AM
This is horrible. If that was my child, I will file charges across the board. I can't believe what I am seeing and hearing.

Random
05-13-2010, 10:43 AM
anger..

That was my responce...

But then again, I'm more than a little irrational when it comes to thinking about anyone harming my child..

I'm with superfemme..

Names of all the teachers that were in that room.. Lawsuits, criminal charges.. no holds bar for any adult that didn't try to stop it...

Now I have to go find something to do so I don't think about my son going to SERE training and the fact that he deliberatly is signing up to be abused..

and BREATH...

Billy
05-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Someone needs to load that bitch up in My cargo van with the cattle prod and drop her off on the corner going 55 when I open the door :) Just sayin ..

SuperFemme
05-13-2010, 10:46 AM
This might be an unpopular thing to say but: when I first viewed this the thought crossed my mind and I said a prayer that this teacher wasn't one of *us*.

The_Lady_Snow
05-13-2010, 10:47 AM
OK see ANYONE would of done this to MY kid.... I would of HURT and I mean HURT that teacher....

I am horrified and disgusted and sick for this poor mom and that poor baby,I don't give a rats ass that he was in a school for kids who are naughty, he is a baby being dragged by his hair..

Sick sick sick and heartbreaking.

SuperFemme
05-13-2010, 10:49 AM
When I was watching this, it looked like a parody to me. Blows not making contact, exagerated movements. Especially that first bit, it reminded me of playing "Bigfoot" with my son when he was younger, approaching him with my arms up high before swooping in to tickle him (There was also a song that went with this)

Did anyone else feel like this was some kind of (inappropriate) playing that got out of hand? Am I the only seeing that it appears the blows weren't landed, or were softened at the end to light taps? I am NOT saying this is right, but it made me wonder what the context was, I mean especially if people were filming it.

Jaded, and possibly in need of finding her glasses...

The childs mom said he had a bump on his head and bruises from where she kicked him. I was skeptical at first, but to me it did NOT look like play, it looked like the teacher held back force at the last moment. Perhaps to not do an incredible amount of damage?

Here is an uncut version:

SKJ034sBov0

Jet
05-13-2010, 10:54 AM
God, whatever happened to detention, writing your name on the blackboard six million times and then erasing the board? I can't count how often I was detention, but never once received corporal punishment.

This is above and beyond corporal punishment.

Random
05-13-2010, 10:55 AM
When I was watching this, it looked like a parody to me. Blows not making contact, exagerated movements. Especially that first bit, it reminded me of playing "Bigfoot" with my son when he was younger, approaching him with my arms up high before swooping in to tickle him (There was also a song that went with this)

Did anyone else feel like this was some kind of (inappropriate) playing that got out of hand? Am I the only seeing that it appears the blows weren't landed, or were softened at the end to light taps? I am NOT saying this is right, but it made me wonder what the context was, I mean especially if people were filming it.

the beginning sort of looks more like intimidation, but as soon as she laid hands on him, it was over...

femmedyke
05-13-2010, 10:55 AM
I saw this clip last night on the news. Suffice to say I did much tossing and turning all night. I was (and am) absolutely horrified by this incident. The teacher acted so vicious and aggressive and that poor darling child looks utterly terrified.

I am so angry that this was even able to happen and furious the authorities haven't locked this heinous person (and those watching) up. I have half a mind to strap on my boots and go and do it myself.

SuperFemme
05-13-2010, 10:58 AM
I saw this clip last night on the news. Suffice to say I did much tossing and turning all night. I was (and am) absolutely horrified by this incident. The teacher acted so vicious and aggressive and that poor darling child looks utterly terrified.

I am so angry that this was even able to happen and furious the authorities haven't locked this heinous person (and those watching) up. I have half a mind to strap on my boots and go and do it myself.

I have boots. I'll go with you.

always2late
05-13-2010, 11:08 AM
My thoughts are that the next tape they would be showing on the news would be of me beating the person (I hesitate to call her a "teacher") who did that to my child.

femmedyke
05-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Replying to June without quoting.

I watched it a second time after reading your post (against my stomach's better judgment!) and I really don't think that this was playing that got out of hand.

The child really did seem frightened to me and the young lady's face (at the very end of the clip) was ghost white and scared too.

SuperFemme
05-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Teacher-Beats-Student Video; Allegedly Lashed out After Student Teased Girl

HOUSTON (CBS/KHOU) When their teacher backed one of their classmates into a corner, students at a Houston-area charter school thought it was a joke - but it allegedly turned into a shocking and brutal beating that was caught on tape.

Sherri Davis, a science teacher at Jamie's House Charter School, allegedly backed 13-year-old Isaiah Johnson into a corner and began beating him while his classmates watched.

At the beginning of the video you can hear the laughter and applause from the students as Isaiah is backed into a corner by Davis after Isaiah reportedly teased a female classmate. But Janiqua Johnson, a student who shot the video on her cell phone, says Davis "snapped" and started beating the 13-year-old, according to CBS affiliate KHOU (http://www.khou.com/news/local/Charter-School-Beating-Captured-On-Cell-Phone-93472669.html).

The teacher "just started beating him up," Janiqua Johnson told KHOU. "His behavior may have been bad but he didn't deserve that," Johnson said, referring to the teasing that preceded the alleged beating.

Davis was placed on administrative leave when school officials learned of the incident in late April, but was fired Monday when officials saw the video.

"It was horrifying," said Sue Jones, spokesperson for the school. "There's just no other word for that."

Janiqua Johnson and other witnesses told KHOU that four or five school employees were present in the classroom. The students claimed they felt intimidated by some teachers after the video became public.

The school is looking into allegations that other teachers watched the beat-down without stepping in, according to a school spokesperson, and said that it will punish any teachers found to have done that.

The Harris County Sheriff's Department is also investigating the incident, although a spokesperson declined to comment further.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20004788-504083.html

SuperFemme
05-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Sometimes? The June makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. :dog:

Lynn
05-13-2010, 11:40 AM

The whole thing is awful, but, yes. I had the same impression. I really didn't see terror in the kid's face or really clear signs of him trying to get away or fight back. But, if he has a history of being abused (and the indignation of his mother means nothing in this regard), he could be inured to a situation like that.

Lynn
05-13-2010, 11:41 AM
The whole thing is awful, but, yes. I had the same impression. I really didn't see terror in the kid's face or really clear signs of him trying to get away or fight back. But, if he has a history of being abused (and the indignation of his mother means nothing in this regard), he could be inured to a situation like that.

Alright. Boots.

dreadgeek
05-13-2010, 11:50 AM

That video was really amazingly difficult for me to watch. I saw things I had not seen since I was a child (what I saw looked very much like the beatings my mother gave me) and the kid looked terrified.

The teachers who were in the classroom should all be fired. The teacher who did the beating should look forward to spending some quality time in prison.

Sweet and sour Jesus, I cannot believe what we are turning into as a society.

JustJo
05-13-2010, 12:08 PM
K soooooo...I have a son that age....and that video was really, really hard to watch.

In my opinion, the boy could be a rotten, obnoxious, pain in the rear who was teasing or even hitting another child.....cuz let's face it, we don't know....and the "teacher" was still totally 100% completely out of line. This boy is clearly cowering against the wall. He is not challenging anyone, hitting anyone or hurting anyone. He is cowering. I don't care what he just did....there is no excuse for her behavior. Send him to the principal, sit him in the corner, call his parents, kick him out of school....whatever. But physical violence....no. Period.

This teacher should go to jail. Any other adult in the room should be fired and prosecuted. There is a law in this country requiring that teachers and other responsible adults report child abuse, right? Well....duh....what the hell did they think they were watching?

I'm glad kids have cell phones that can take video.
And that woman better be damn glad that wasn't my kid.

always2late
05-13-2010, 12:16 PM
I have already posted my thoughts on the video shown in the thread, however, I thought this an opportune time to bring up another subject that has been troubling me. The use of restraints/seclusion and a disciplinary and/or control tactic in our schools. I was made aware of this recently and upon further reading found that it is practiced primarily against developmentally disabled students. As the parent of a child with a disability, I find this beyond disturbing.

I am a nurse, and in order to use restraints on a patient...even if that patient is trying to harm themselves....there are strict guidelines we must follow. We also are monitored by state and federal agencies that require an inordinate amount of paperwork and documentation of behavior to justify said restraints. It boggles my mind that a teacher, or staff member of a school can use restraints at their own discretion...and that there is NO monitoring agency. I am including a link below and would like to know others' thoughts on this.

http://www.eagleforum.org/educate/2008/sept08/troubled-children.html

Diva
05-13-2010, 12:33 PM
And we wonder how children learn to be bullies......

This so~called 'teacher' should not only be in jail, but she should be banned from ever being in a classroom ever again.

And if that student was harrassing a special~needs child, he should be in detention.

The other 'adults' in the room who didn't STOP this so~called teacher? They should be fired immediately. And any principal who WOULDN'T fire them should be removed from said school.

More than two cents worth, granted, but having been a teacher for 3 decades, this totally disgusts me.

SuperFemme
05-13-2010, 12:39 PM
I have a hard time agreeing with the use of restraints or seclusion in our educational system.

Schools should not be using tactics employed by juvenile halls and/or law enforcement.

What does this mean in this economy where there is no room in the budget to implement training or hire properly trained teachers? I don't have an answer to that.

If I had a child that was not able to be in school without being a constant disruption I might crusade to find a school where they did have a place for my child or I might be forced to do home schooling.

We don't have enough resources and with more and more autistic children or children with asbergers the educational system needs to catch up. Fast. I am also VERY concerned that asbergers is being removed from the DSM and what that might mean for young ones...

Diva
05-13-2010, 01:01 PM
Entire schools have been built to school students who cannot behave in a regular classroom setting. Those schools [usually] have specialized counselors who deal with anger management and students who act out to get to the root of the issue.

If there is a student who is habitually disrupting a classroom environment, he/she is taking teacher attention from the other students who are there to learn. Or at least know how to behave and don't feel the need to be disruptive.

I have personally witnessed ~ after the removal of a disruptive student ~ a classroom almost immediately become a calm learning environment for the other students. It is palpable.

Rufusboi
05-13-2010, 01:01 PM
Why isn't she in jail? What are your thoughts when watching this?

6H9lRQD223A

My thoughts when watching this are that the kid probably wore her down and she finally snapped. She should have just walked out and quit and saved herself, but now she will end up in jail. I know this will not be a popular comment but it is what came to mind when I watched. My sister worked as a teacher in public schools for years and has horror stories. Including being punched in the face and knocked out by a student. We very rarely hear about student on teacher violence that includes punching, kicking, rape and verbal abuse.

Both my partner and I work in higher ed and the nastiness, rudeness. bullying and lying that comes from adult students is enough to turn you grey. Adult students name call, threaten, verbally abuse, lie, cheat, and harass over a grade they feel they deserve. The I deserve generation is in full swing right now and they stop at nothing to get what they want.

So yes , my first thought was this kid probably wore her down. I can't imagine how aggressive a 13 year old boy can be. I don't know anything about this woman and I don't know if she has a temper or a history of this so I could be way off. Maybe the kid was an angel and she just went nuts. No, she should not have beat him the way she did. That was wrong. She should have just walked away or quit her job if she could not handle the kids. But there is a part of me that knows what teachers deal with and how easy it is to be worn down by aggressive and belligerent students.

Rufus

SuperFemme
05-13-2010, 01:05 PM
I have heard lots of stuff about student to teacher violence. It is scary.

Teachers should make a hell of a lot more money than they do, and it scares me that they don't.

Still, I don't care how bad this boy was. There. Is. No. Excuse.

Rockinonahigh
05-13-2010, 02:53 PM
I got the cattle prod u got the van,seriously this socalled teacher should never have a licence to teach anything,she should be arested pronto.
This went on in my jr.high school and high school way back in the 60's,I know cause I was the one geting my ass whiped with a paddle with holes in it,weather I did what I was acused of or not..it was always look for the queer kid and give them hell,u bet they didnt pull any shots shots to make them less painful.When my kids went to the same school and they found out the kids were mine they tryed the same thing with them.The schools had the same office staff and princeaple,it was guilt by association no matter what.The first time my son James came home with bruses on his butt and legs I went to the school the next day with the police to have the whole lot of them arested,there was a hell of a mess in the news about this for months.The partys in volved were mostly fired,licences pulled ect.This went on for years after I left school nobody would buck the system but me,yes I had an ax to grind but did it the leagle way,but I bad wanted to take them out behind the barn and goive them a taste of there on medicin.
One thing more..my mom knew about most of the paddlings and did nothing to stop this cause in her world u didnt question the school or teachers,the priest,any doctor or the law cause they were the ones who were in power no mattre what they did.Im not like that..I question it all.I feel for this poor kid and what is going on.This is 2010 for christ sake,dose anything ever change?

SuperFemme
05-13-2010, 03:10 PM
I am with June. I think there is more to it than what is being said or proven. When that "teacher" grabbed that kid and started dragging him across the floor, it looked to me like he was laughing or at least smiling. I could be wrong.

Not condoning the hitting or kicking of a kid, but I find it odd that so many people stood around, laughing, talking, and taping with their phones. Something seems fishy to me.

It's not. What it IS is a sign of how f'ed up our society has become that both adults and children are so desensitized to violence that a beating was watched by adults in charge and laughed at by students.

Martina
05-13-2010, 03:16 PM
This is extreme and awful. Of course the teacher should be charged criminally and lose her credential, if she has one. There is no excuse for that. She could have just removed the child who was being laughed at from the situation. That she thought it was OK to lay hands on a child is scary. It's not clear to me why she was coming for him.

Part of the problem is charter schools, IMO. Many are much worse than the public schools they replace. They hire young teachers, work them long hours, use corporate supervisory strategies, and basically dodge oversight. Key problem: A lot of their administrators are not educators. You hear these people saying things no regular educator would think of -- critical remarks about students, blaming them for problem behaviors.

There is a lot wrong with the culture of education, but there is some stuff right with it too. Blaming children for their problems is not a position real educators knee-jerk react to.

There are good ways to deal with serious behavior problems -- children who attack each other, children who bite themselves and bang their heads against the wall. They are positive. They involve teaching substitute behaviors. They work long term. There are padded rooms in some schools. There are teachers and aides educated in restraining kids, but they aren't used a lot. Most behavior management is positive.

Cyclopea
05-13-2010, 03:22 PM
WHAT?!
christ I wish I had not watched that.

: ostrich with head in sand:

Martina
05-13-2010, 03:33 PM
I am also VERY concerned that asbergers is being removed from the DSM and what that might mean for young ones...

My understanding is that this is going to benefit most families. If they qualified for Aspbergers, they will still get an autism spectrum disorder diagnosis. More may qualify for additional services because of that since some states and agencies serve people with the latter diagnosis -- autism spectrum -- but not aspbergers. What little i know, though, is that some agencies rule out people based on functionality regardless of the diagnosis. For example, Regional Centers here in CA. But people are more likely to get services than not as a result of the change.

In general, i am told the objection to the change is more of a cultural one. Many people with Aspbergers like the term and want to retain it, but i have read that it's not that scientifically meaningful. It is not different enough from other spectrum disorders to merit a separate category. Other disorders within the spectrum are as different from one another as Aspbergers is from people with less severe forms of Autism Spectrum Disorder. The change will also affect people with pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified, but there really isn't a backlash there. i think a lot of people with Aspbergers understand themselves in terms of the diagnosis. It's like an ID. It's part of how they have found themselves and found ways of coping. There are support groups and chat rooms etc. They don't want to lose that, which is understandable. That's my sense of the debate based on NYTimes article i read this year .

Just_G
05-13-2010, 03:34 PM
It's not. What it IS is a sign of how f'ed up our society has become that both adults and children are so desensitized to violence that a beating was watched by adults in charge and laughed at by students.

Yeah, I missed the whole 2nd page of posts due to lack of being able to pay attention today...I deleted my post after I saw the article you posted.

it is a f*cked up society...schools, you name it!!

However, I do not condone beating people in retaliation. Eye for an eye was never one of my favorite things. Just my .02.

tuffboi29
05-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Now from my understanding there are SPECIFIC guidlines to RESTRAIN and DETAIN children in charter schools who have behavioural issues.Now i dont care what that child has done you follow those guidline to a f***** T!!!Abuse of a child is not in ANY case acceptable!!I hope that momma and child gets the justice they deserve and that (hell I cant even call her a woman) gets what she's got coming to her along with the others that stood by and watched.Discusting just doesn't cover or describe what i witnessed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmedyke

I got some boots myself and would be more than happy to accompany you and SuperFemme.Pick me up on the way would you please?

SuperFemme
05-13-2010, 03:37 PM
My understanding is that this is going to benefit most families. If they qualified for Aspbergers, they will still get an autism spectrum disorder diagnosis. More may qualify for additional services because of that since some states and agencies serve people with the latter diagnosis -- autism spectrum -- but not aspbergers. What little i know, though, is that some agencies rule out people based on functionality regardless of the diagnosis. For example, Regional Centers here in CA. But people are more likely to get services than not as a result of the change.

In general, i am told the objection to the change is more of a cultural one. Many people with Aspbergers like the term and want to retain it, but i have read that it's not that scientifically meaningful. It is not different enough from other spectrum disorders to merit a separate category. Other disorders within the spectrum are as different from one another as Aspbergers is from people with less severe forms of Autism Spectrum Disorder. The change will also affect people with pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified, but there really isn't a backlash there. i think a lot of people with Aspbergers understand themselves in terms of the diagnosis. It's like an ID. It's part of how they have found themselves and found ways of coping. There are support groups and chat rooms etc. They don't want to lose that, which is understandable. That's my sense of the debate based on NYTimes article i read this year .

See, I learn something new every day. As long as services are not going to be withheld, then great! That is my biggest concern with that issue. Thanks Martina!

Martina
05-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Of course there are guidelines. This is not a case where restaint was called for. i am sure that teacher was not trained in retraint.

Most charter schools, btw, refuse special needs children. Apparently this one doesn't. But they are not known for dealing with special education students well at all.

A lot of them have huge classes, and discipline looks military. I have seen kids packed into small rooms. If I were a student, I would find it really stressful. The days are longer too.

Most of these schools are not as good as public schools. That there test scores about equal and in some cases surpass ours has more to do with the fact that they can CHOOSE the students who attend their school -- and kick out students they don't want.

Now from my understanding there are SPECIFIC guidlines to RESTRAIN and DETAIN children in charter schools who have behavioural issues.Now i dont care what that child has done you follow those guidline to a f***** T!!!Abuse of a child is not in ANY case acceptable!!I hope that momma and child gets the justice they deserve and that (hell I cant even call her a woman) gets what she's got coming to her along with the others that stood by and watched.Discusting just doesn't cover or describe what i witnesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmedyke

I got some boots myself and would be more than happy to accompany you and SuperFemme.Pick me up on the way would you please?

ruthie14
05-13-2010, 04:20 PM
I have been teaching for about 27 years. While I understand the frustration of working with special children .... the teacher's behavior is inexcusable. Take a walk, take a break, pass the child to someone else to deal with... there is always a better way than violence.

And I agree.... teachers get very little respect, value or compensation... for all the hard work. That is why I am currently looking for something outside of the teaching arena. At 48 years old, I have no savings and I have nothing saved for retirement. It is quite shameful. I teach preschoolers, and it is even worse then the older grades. In the words of my new governor... "preshcool teachers are just high priced babysitters. " really????? :annoyed:

Kobi
05-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Ok maybe I am just jaded but I learned a long time ago not to jump to conclusions until you know the facts.

Regardless of what was supposedly seen on this video, it is not a clear picture. And some things just dont fit the reported "brutal and savage beating". For example, the kid did seem to be smiling at times, he was not cowering as I would expect a threatened kid to do, his defensive posturing was virtually non existent, some of his moves were suspicious i.e. grabbing the teachers leg with his foot.....I would expect a scared kid to be kicking up a storm.

In addition, the laughing and talking in the background is odd. I would expect scared kids at this age to be screaming and yelling. And I expect other adults to be yelling even if they did not intervene.

And, I expect that teacher could have made mince meat out of that kid, if that was her intention.

Her behavior, whatever the reason for it, is reprehensible but I refuse to rush to judgement until all the facts are known.

Thank you June for introducing doubt here. OMG I agree with June. Who would have thunk that was possible. :)

The_Lady_Snow
05-13-2010, 05:48 PM
Ok maybe I am just jaded but I learned a long time ago not to jump to conclusions until you know the facts.

Regardless of what was supposedly seen on this video, it is not a clear picture. And some things just dont fit the reported "brutal and savage beating". For example, the kid did seem to be smiling at times, he was not cowering as I would expect a threatened kid to do, his defensive posturing was virtually non existent, some of his moves were suspicious i.e. grabbing the teachers leg with his foot.....I would expect a scared kid to be kicking up a storm.

In addition, the laughing and talking in the background is odd. I would expect scared kids at this age to be screaming and yelling. And I expect other adults to be yelling even if they did not intervene.

And, I expect that teacher could have made mince meat out of that kid, if that was her intention.

Her behavior, whatever the reason for it, is reprehensible but I refuse to rush to judgement until all the facts are known.

Thank you June for introducing doubt here. OMG I agree with June. Who would have thunk that was possible. :)

Um, there are articles, and a video how much more proof does this child need?

I bet if someone had kicked a dog, no one would be brushing it off, wow, our kids are not as valued?

really? he is a kid... You don't touch someone else's child like this, hell you just do not drop kick a kid or bitch slap him cause you are mad..

Dean Thoreau
05-13-2010, 05:49 PM
actually no matter what usa state this may be in...the states that still do permit corporal punishment have a well defined definition...
this is abuse not corporal punishment.....
this is a teacher who need to find a new career.....
teachers a wise to never touch a student....and never ever be alone in a room with a student...for any reason....u need to talk to a student privately you go out in the hallway....
a teacher doing this no matter what kind of school is not a teacher....even correctional institutions prohibit this type of aggression by guards...

this makes me sick...and may that child receive 100 million dollar lawsuit settlement....no child has ever ever ever done anything to warrant this type of response.

:aslpeacelove:

SuperFemme
05-13-2010, 05:51 PM
Um, there are articled, and a video how much more proof does this child need?

I bet if someone had kicked a dog, no one would be brushing it off, wow, our kids are not as valued?

really? he is a kid... You don't touch someone else's child like this, hell you just do not drop kick a kid or bitch slap him cause you are mad..

Right? I cannot believe that a person can watch a child being beaten by a teacher and somehow blame the child.

There. Is. No. Excuse.

blush
05-13-2010, 06:11 PM
I have already posted my thoughts on the video shown in the thread, however, I thought this an opportune time to bring up another subject that has been troubling me. The use of restraints/seclusion and a disciplinary and/or control tactic in our schools. I was made aware of this recently and upon further reading found that it is practiced primarily against developmentally disabled students. As the parent of a child with a disability, I find this beyond disturbing.

I am a nurse, and in order to use restraints on a patient...even if that patient is trying to harm themselves....there are strict guidelines we must follow. We also are monitored by state and federal agencies that require an inordinate amount of paperwork and documentation of behavior to justify said restraints. It boggles my mind that a teacher, or staff member of a school can use restraints at their own discretion...and that there is NO monitoring agency. I am including a link below and would like to know others' thoughts on this.

http://www.eagleforum.org/educate/2008/sept08/troubled-children.html

In Texas, to perform those restraints you're referring to a teacher MUST have a specific training. We also have extensive parental permission that explains exactly what the restraints are, when they are used, and what we can and cannot do. It is not applied to every student at our discretion. It is for certain students who are a danger to themselves or to other students. Imagine the lawsuits if we were allowed to do this on a whim.

I have seen children as young as kinder throw chairs and large bricks at other students/teachers. We are responsible for every child in a classroom.

As a parent, I would be horrified if a student was allowed to throw chairs etc...at MY child and the teacher did nothing.

I am not referring to/condoning ANYTHING the adult did in this video or the seclusion or other obvious abuses the article listed. I'm just explaining what I know about our system and why restraining a student in a humane way is appropriate in certain situations.