PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Oil Spill: What You Can Do To Help

Mrs. Strutt
05-17-2010, 01:29 PM
Many hair salons around the U.S. are currently collecting hair clippings for use in the Gulf oil spill clean-up effort. It sounds amazing, but one pound of human hair can absorb as much as one quart of oil in a minute's time.

Matter of Trust is an eco-education foundation whose programs include an oil spill cleanup program that has already successfully been used in less visible oil spills around the world. Salons can sign up to send them their hair clippings and trimmings which are then made into hair mats for use in these clean-up efforts.

You can help this effort in one of two ways:

1. Urge your salon to join the program and start donating their hair clippings to Matter of Trust. For more information and instructions on how to sign up, visit http://www.matteroftrust.org/programs/hairmatsinfo.html.

2. Make a donation. Much of the expense for this program is for the purchase of strong mesh to make the "booms" or hair mat barriers used to surround and contain the oil pools. Visit http://www.matteroftrust.org/contribute.html to learn how to make a monetary contribution..even a few dollars can go a long, long way.

Any help you can give, either monetarily or just by spreading the word, can make a huge difference in helping this awesome organization.

Toughy
05-17-2010, 02:42 PM
my understanding is that BP has refused to use hair or straw or microbes to deal with the millions of gallons of oil spewing out of that pipe.........

there is a microbe found in the hulls of cotton plants.......the microbe eats the oil and the hull also absorbs oil.......there is a company in canada that has tons of this stuff that could be used.....http://www.gatorinternational.com/

Mrs. Strutt
05-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Even if they have, I believe once they are out of international waters and along the state coastlines, they have no authority to block efforts to use alternate remedies. Walton county (Florida panhandle) is already placing hay bales along its shoreline and areas in Alabama have enlisted local troops to build sand walls.

Toughy
05-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Even if they have, I believe once they are out of international waters and along the state coastlines, they have no authority to block efforts to use alternate remedies. Walton county (Florida panhandle) is already placing hay bales along its shoreline and areas in Alabama have enlisted local troops to build sand walls.

YEAH!!!!!! good to know.......the media is doing a sucky ass job reporting this stuff..............

Mrs. Strutt
05-18-2010, 08:45 AM
***bump***

Mrs. Strutt
05-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Update from the Matter of Trust web site:

ALERTS 5/20/10
BP has contacted us, we are providing them with the information they are requesting and we will post updates here. They told us they will be sending out a press release presently.
YOU ALL DID IT!

I can only assume this means BP has had a change of heart with respect to exploring alternate cleanup methodologies.