PDA

View Full Version : NetFlix Instant Play Movie List

Pages : [1] 2 3

Sachita
05-17-2010, 06:08 PM
I watch a lot of movies on my PC and have a Netflix account. I wanted to start a thread on movies, reviews, recommendations that are available on instant play. You can use the public description but if you can tell us your thoughts and what you liked about the movie.

Thanks

Greenfingers

It's one big (green) thumbs-up for this affecting true-life tale about hardened con Colin Briggs (Clive Owen), a small-time criminal who gets a new lease on life -- behind prison bars -- as an award-winning gardener. Standing out in supporting roles are David Kelly as a prisoner chum of Briggs's who coaxes him out of his shell and Helen Mirren as a world-class horticulturalist who worries when her daughter falls for Briggs.

Cast:Clive Owen, Helen Mirren, David Kelly, Warren Clarke, Danny Dyer, Paterson JosephDirector:Joel HershmanGenres:Comedy, Best of British Humor, United Kingdom, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, Foreign RegionsThis movie is:Feel-good, Quirky, Inspiring, Emotional

My Comments: I really like feel good movies and this one was just nice. For me it showed the power of nature and how it can transform the soul. I'm also a gardener so I really liked this move.

The Ramen Girl

When her boyfriend leaves her high and dry in Tokyo, spoiled American tourist Abby (Brittany Murphy) finds solace in a neighborhood ramen noodle house run by a cantankerous old chef (Toshiyuki Nishida), who agrees to take her on as an apprentice cook. But will the dirty grunt work and endless criticism drive Abby away before she discovers the serene beauty in the perfect bowl of soup -- and in herself? Robert Allan Ackerman directs this comedy.

Cast:Brittany Murphy, Toshiyuki Nishida, Tammy Blanchard, Sohee Park, Kimiko Yo, Renji Ishibashi, Maria Abe, Daniel Evans, Masayoshi Haneda, Hajime Inoue, Justin Berti, Judai Ikeshita, Sonya Inge, Gabriel MannDirector:Robert Allan AckermanGenres:Comedy, Indie Comedies, Food StoriesThis movie is:Heartfelt

My Comments: Really cute movie with a happy ending. I just love the determination of Brittany Murphy's character Abby. I also didn't know that Ramen was an art and that the cheap stuff in cellophane bags isn't authentic ramen. It made me research online how to really make it and I realized its not that easy BUT I will make it one day because of this movie.

More coming... please share your favs.

gotoseagrl
05-17-2010, 07:48 PM
http://tf.org/images/covers/brief_encounter.jpg

Brief Encounter 1945

"In this film based on a Noel Coward play, director David Lean explores the thrill and pain of an illicit romance in 1945 Britain."

great thread! i love Netflix and watch instant viewing a lot. i stumbled upon this one recently and wished i had tissue lol. :watereyes: without extensive details, i will say this is a recommendation for any sappy hopeless romantics who enjoy classics. 5/5

cinderella
05-17-2010, 07:57 PM
OMG!!! This is my most favorite film ever, bar none!! I am a classic movie nut, and would be hard put to choose which are my faves, but this one wins hands down!! I've seen it a gazillion times, and it never fails to make me cry! The Rachmaninoff score in the background sets the pace and envelopes this film with pathos - however, it is a bit too loud for my taste, and at times the background music just overwhelms the film.

My rating: 2 tissue boxes!

Brief Encounter 1945

"In this film based on a Noel Coward play, director David Lean explores the thrill and pain of an illicit romance in 1945 Britain."

great thread! i love Netflix and watch instant viewing a lot. i stumbled upon this one recently and wished i had tissue lol. :watereyes: without extensive details, i will say this is a recommendation for any sappy hopeless romantics who enjoy classics. 5/5

Sachita
05-18-2010, 04:28 AM
see this is perfect for this thread and I'm thrilled. I never would have even looked for this.

Brief Encounter 1945

Jess
05-18-2010, 05:30 AM
I have quite a long queue for instant streaming and have just added Greenfingers. Thanks, it does look like a good film. We just realized that the new Wii allows for netflix streaming so we can get it downstairs now too! woohoo!

My list ranges from mystery/ suspense to quite a few documentaries that I have wanted to see Sophie Scholl, Steal a Pencil For Me, and some older ones I loved Brothers Keeper: 10th Anniversary edition along with some series that I missed ( Torchwood) and some gay flicks from Logo .

I also get my classic movie fixes there, like Sherlock Holmes films and others my wife isn't as fond of as I. ( I won't even mention my B horror film "issue", suffice to say instant streaming is a good way to be able to catch them without bugging the heck out of her..LOL)

Thanks for the good ideas!

Sachita
05-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Japanese Story
2003 R 110 minutes
During a field trip, geologist Sandy (Toni Collette) has the unfortunate luck of being marooned in the Pilbara desert with a man she can't stand. Finding him completely irritating and rather egotistical, Sandy soon learns that his feelings for her are just as contemptuous. The saying that things can only get better doesn't apply to these two, as their increasingly remote location only adds to the already challenging situation.

Cast:Toni Collette, Gotaro Tsunashima, Matthew Dyktynski, Lynette Curran, Yumiko Tanaka, Kate Atkinson, Bill Young, John HowardDirector:Sue Brooks

My comments: I love United States of Tara and Toni Collette! To be honest has she not been in this movie I would have overlooked it and the description doesn't even begin to accurately describe all of this film. First of all Toni Collette has an Aussie accent.
It's true they are stranded and ready to kill each other but through all the challenges they become lovers and the story has a heart wrenching ending leaving you thinking, "wow".

The first 30 minutes are kinda boring. I really enjoyed the movie and want to say more but don't want to spoil it. If you like romantic drama's you'll enjoy this film.

Sachita
05-19-2010, 04:23 PM
I have quite a long queue for instant streaming and have just added Greenfingers. Thanks, it does look like a good film. We just realized that the new Wii allows for netflix streaming so we can get it downstairs now too! woohoo!

My list ranges from mystery/ suspense to quite a few documentaries that I have wanted to see Sophie Scholl, Steal a Pencil For Me, and some older ones I loved Brothers Keeper: 10th Anniversary edition along with some series that I missed ( Torchwood) and some gay flicks from Logo .

I also get my classic movie fixes there, like Sherlock Holmes films and others my wife isn't as fond of as I. ( I won't even mention my B horror film "issue", suffice to say instant streaming is a good way to be able to catch them without bugging the heck out of her..LOL)

Thanks for the good ideas!

I want to get it hooked up to play on my flat screen in my bedroom. You have a WII or you are using Tivo? I have a Tivo but to be honest I was watching shows and movies online and didnt see the point in paying for a subscription and keeping a phone line hooked to it. I was barely using it. BUT movies is another thing.

gotoseagrl
05-19-2010, 11:26 PM
Japanese Story
2003 R 110 minutes
During a field trip, geologist Sandy (Toni Collette) has the unfortunate luck of being marooned in the Pilbara desert with a man she can't stand. Finding him completely irritating and rather egotistical, Sandy soon learns that his feelings for her are just as contemptuous. The saying that things can only get better doesn't apply to these two, as their increasingly remote location only adds to the already challenging situation.

Cast:Toni Collette, Gotaro Tsunashima, Matthew Dyktynski, Lynette Curran, Yumiko Tanaka, Kate Atkinson, Bill Young, John HowardDirector:Sue Brooks

My comments: I love United States of Tara and Toni Collette! To be honest has she not been in this movie I would have overlooked it and the description doesn't even begin to accurately describe all of this film. First of all Toni Collette has an Aussie accent.
It's true they are stranded and ready to kill each other but through all the challenges they become lovers and the story has a heart wrenching ending leaving you thinking, "wow".

The first 30 minutes are kinda boring. I really enjoyed the movie and want to say more but don't want to spoil it. If you like romantic drama's you'll enjoy this film.

i LOVE Toni Collette. my two favorites from her are Clockwatchers and Muriel's Wedding *sings Abba*. wish they would add both to streaming!

i vaguely remember Japanese Story but do remember it being unique and a pretty good drama.

oh i also just found out she sings too, not bad. :) http://www.tonicolletteandthefinish.com/

Jess
05-19-2010, 11:43 PM
I want to get it hooked up to play on my flat screen in my bedroom. You have a WII or you are using Tivo? I have a Tivo but to be honest I was watching shows and movies online and didnt see the point in paying for a subscription and keeping a phone line hooked to it. I was barely using it. BUT movies is another thing.

We disconnected our TiVO when we got our blu-ray. We're gonna sell it at a yard sale or donate it. The best thing for me about the blu-ray is the ability to do streaming. Heck, they still don't release enough Blu-ray videos and they still cost more dammit.LOL!

Gotta tell ya, whoever came up with streaming and the friggen Red Box were brilliant! Wish I had stock!

gotoseagrl
05-19-2010, 11:44 PM
Never Forever

http://holic7878.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/neverforever_poster1_jamong3414.jpg

here's one of my favorites. interesting story, very moving. hard not to give too much detail with a description, so i'll say heavy drama about a failing marriage and new romance. i love Vera Farmiga (Down to the Bone, Quid Pro Quo, Orphan, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas). 5/5

Sachita
05-20-2010, 06:32 AM
We disconnected our TiVO when we got our blu-ray. We're gonna sell it at a yard sale or donate it. The best thing for me about the blu-ray is the ability to do streaming. Heck, they still don't release enough Blu-ray videos and they still cost more dammit.LOL!

Gotta tell ya, whoever came up with streaming and the friggen Red Box were brilliant! Wish I had stock!

I don't know much about Blue Ray. I thought it was just a player. I'll need to look into it. I pretty much like the same shows your lady likes: Army Wives, Big Love, etc and it burns ass to pay 10.00 a month for HBO when I just watch Big Love. The other shows I just watch on my PC. Actually I bought a little 10 inch mini from Dell because I wanted to use Kindle for PC and still have an emergency laptop. I love taking it outside on the porch and in full screen mode can watch movies and shows no problem.

But there are certain movies I want to watch on my big flat screen. Plug in my long corded bad ass headphones and the dogs can bark all they want!

Medusa
06-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Netflix instant stream is down and apparently has been having problems for several days :(

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Sachita
06-10-2010, 04:57 PM
http://www.movies-links.tv/

Try that. It takes a little getting use to. I'm watching The Runaways now.

Search for a movie called "Teeth" its bizarre as hell. It's about a girl that has teeth in her pussy and bites off cocks. It's suppose to be a thriller but I laughed my ass off.

Medusa
06-10-2010, 04:59 PM
It just came back up! I was having "Lost" withdrawals!!

gotoseagrl
06-17-2010, 10:38 AM
http://knightleyemma.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/dvd-cover1.jpg

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir 1947

a young widow refuses to leave her house haunted by a ghost ...

i finally watched this and absolutely adored it. loved every bit from the setting to the dynamic between the captain and "Lucia." funny, sad, sweet. everything i could ask for. i felt some odd sense of comfort that i usually dont feel after watching some of best romances. it's been a while since i drifted off into such a sound sleep like i did after curling up with this one. thanks Netflix.

just realized i have a lot of favorite characters named "Lucy." :)

Sachita
06-17-2010, 06:02 PM
http://knightleyemma.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/dvd-cover1.jpg

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir 1947

a young widow refuses to leave her house haunted by a ghost ...

i finally watched this and absolutely adored it. loved every bit from the setting to the dynamic between the captain and "Lucia." funny, sad, sweet. everything i could ask for. i felt some odd sense of comfort that i usually dont feel after watching some of best romances. it's been a while since i drifted off into such a sound sleep like i did after curling up with this one. thanks Netflix.

just realized i have a lot of favorite characters named "Lucy." :)ed

Looks good. I need to check it out

Sachita
06-21-2010, 01:53 AM
http://cdn-6.nflximg.com/us/boxshots/gsd/70000066.jpg

I'm not a huge old movie fan but enjoyed this one.

The World of Suzie Wong
1960NR126 minutes
Forbidden love takes center stage in this romantic movie starring William Holden as Robert Lomax, an American traveler visiting Hong Kong who meets and quickly grows smitten with a local woman (Nancy Kwan). Groundbreaking in its time for its portrayal of interracial love, the film shows the couple straining against the judgments of others and of themselves, as Lomax grapples with his feelings and Wong wonders whether it's meant to be.

Sachita
06-25-2010, 12:43 PM
The Legend of 1900(La Leggenda del Pianista Sull'oceano)
1998R121 minutes
Raised aboard an ocean liner after being abandoned there as an infant, 1900 (Tim Roth) becomes a virtuoso piano player who learns about the outside world only through interactions with passengers, never setting foot on land, even for the love of his life. Years later, the ship may be destroyed, and a former band member fears that 1900 may still be aboard, willing to go down with the ship in this compelling drama from director Giuseppe Tornatore.

This is an excellent movies. Great acting and good music.

chefhmboyrd
06-25-2010, 12:51 PM

Search for a movie called "Teeth" its bizarre as hell. It's about a girl that has teeth in her pussy and bites off cocks. It's suppose to be a thriller but I laughed my ass off.

omg someone was telling about that movie
OUCH!!!!!!!!!

chefhmboyrd
06-25-2010, 12:52 PM
The Legend of 1900(La Leggenda del Pianista Sull'oceano)
1998R121 minutes
Raised aboard an ocean liner after being abandoned there as an infant, 1900 (Tim Roth) becomes a virtuoso piano player who learns about the outside world only through interactions with passengers, never setting foot on land, even for the love of his life. Years later, the ship may be destroyed, and a former band member fears that 1900 may still be aboard, willing to go down with the ship in this compelling drama from director Giuseppe Tornatore.

This is an excellent movies. Great acting and good music.

what a great movie
Tim Roth is a great actor

The_Lady_Snow
08-31-2010, 07:43 AM
Netflix: Cryps & Bloods: Made in America

This documentary will give you the history of racism, social and economic oppression being the root of how *clubs* came to be.

It will show you the imaginary lines that divide and keep people in their place.

:|

Medusa
08-31-2010, 08:30 AM
Theres a new movie out with Benjamem Bratt!

"La Mission"! (He's a tough guy who finds out his son is gay)

http://www.lamissionthemovie.com/

christie
08-31-2010, 09:46 AM

I rented this from RedBox over the weekend and haven't gotten to see it yet - I hope its as good as I think it will be!

We have been on a Netflix Streaming marathon - Season 1 and 2 of Dexter had us driving to Winston-Salem, the closest location with Season 3 DVD. Season 4 was purchased from Amazon and I streamed it from the laptop to the flatscreen.

Now we are Lost addicts! I never got into it when it was on TV, but being able to watch episodes/seasons back to back - well, I am getting a LOT of knitting/crocheting done!

The_Lady_Snow
08-31-2010, 09:51 AM

That's one of the one's ready in our instant queue (sp)

We have this on our DVD queue

America Beyond the Color Line

We are rotating between a movie and a disk for Criminal Minds I am on Season 2 the first disc love love the show.

Grant finally just got to watch "Precious"

Sachita
08-31-2010, 09:53 AM

oooo thanks I'm going to watch today.

Christie I love movies and probably watch 5 or 6 a week and have at least 3 shows I keep up on. Sometimes I'll just kick back with my PC on my porch and watch a few movies. The chickens like them too. I'll need to take a video of this one hen who looks at the screen trying to eat it,

WolfyOne
08-31-2010, 09:57 AM
I streamed all the NCIS seasons I didn't see from Netflix
I believe I caught a few Leverage shows I missed on Netflix, too

I love being able to catch up with series I like now, but may not have watched from beginning

Sparkle
08-31-2010, 11:16 AM
Mary and Max

"Mary Dinkle, a chubby 8-year-old Australian girl, and Max Horovitz, an obese, middle-aged New Yorker with Asperger's syndrome, are a pair of unlikely pen pals in this quirky clay animation feature from writer-director Adam Elliot. Corresponding for two decades, the friends delve into a variety of topics, including sex, kleptomania, psychiatry, taxidermy and more. Toni Collette and Philip Seymour Hoffman provide the voices of Mary and Max."

My comments: Incredibly sweet (and substantial) animated film.

MI-5 Vol. 1-4

"BBC television series following the personal and political dynamics facing so-called "spooks," the agents who deal in information and secrecy for Britain's MI-5. Because life as an employee of a counterintelligence agency is anything but typical, any given day can involve life-threatening situations, hurry-up-and-wait scenarios -- and moments when the fate of the world hangs in the balance."

My comments: Gripping suspenseful television series with high production values. Wayyyy better than '24' in my opinion. I was totally addicted. Warning: they are many scenes of violence.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

"Journalist Mikael Blomkvist (Michael Nyqvist) and rebellious computer hacker Lisbeth Salander (Noomi Rapace) team up to investigate the unsolved disappearance of wealthy Henrik Vanger's (Sven-Bertil Taube) teen niece (Ewa Fröling), only to uncover dark secrets about Vanger's powerful family. Niels Arden Oplev directs this Swedish thriller based on the first novel from Stieg Larsson's best-selling trilogy."

My comments: Read the books first, if you are even so slightly inclined - they are *amazing*. This film adaptation is very good. Watch it before the likely-to-be-horrid American version is released.

Ashton
08-31-2010, 11:34 AM

This site has been seized by the US Customs and Immigrations!:cigar2:

Sachita
08-31-2010, 11:50 AM
This site has been seized by the US Customs and Immigrations!:cigar2:

yeah that happens

try awooh.com

or until they take it down

weatherboi
08-31-2010, 12:40 PM
I watched a really sad but eye opening documentary about the boy sex trade in Afghanistan.

"The Boys of Afghanistan"

It is a Frontline documentary on Netflix

Sachita
08-31-2010, 05:48 PM
whoa I just watched the remake of The Killer Inside Me with Jessica Alba, Kate Hudson and Casey Affleck. Its not on instant play but dvd. I watched it here

http://www.awooh.com/index.php/the-killer-inside-me-2010/#more-3877

choose mega video.

what an intense movie. slow in a few spots but damn

Chancie
08-31-2010, 05:59 PM
Okay, so pretend I have just learned about the miracle of television and tell me what to do to get streaming movies from The Netflix.

Sachita
08-31-2010, 06:05 PM
Okay, so pretend I have just learned about the miracle of television and tell me what to do to get streaming movies from The Netflix.

you have to have a high speed connection. log in to netflix, or if you are not a member join. you'll see the instant play section. just select and click play. gave a look. its easy

Chancie
08-31-2010, 06:09 PM

you have to have a high speed connection. log in to netflix, or if you are not a member join. you'll see the instant play section. just select and click play. gave a look. its easy

What if I want to watch the movies on my television?

The_Lady_Snow
08-31-2010, 06:14 PM

A Wii

PS3 or Xbox360 will be needed

OR

Samsung has a blue ray that will also stream in NetFlix

Tucker
08-31-2010, 06:15 PM
I use my Wii to instantly stream thru my television.

Lately I have been watching Californication.
Great show!

Jess
08-31-2010, 06:15 PM

A Blu-Ray or WII player will allow for Netflix streaming to your tv. I;m not sure what other devices will, but we have both of these and use Netflix all the time! I just wish they had more available for instant viewing.

I think dvd's will become a thing of the past with more streaming available. Blockbuster also has it now and I know that Blu- Ray makes that accessible also. Not sure if Blockbuster works with WII or not. We haven't signed up for that yet.. lol!

Jess
08-31-2010, 06:18 PM
Almost forgot...
You can also run a cable from your laptop or PC to your tv and stream directly through amazon or whoever. We did this to watch the last season of Dexter before it came out on DVD.

Sachita
09-03-2010, 04:50 PM

This was an excellent movie. Thank you for posting it. I loved it.

Sparkle
12-24-2010, 12:48 AM
C.R.A.Z.Y.

This was a film recommended by someone I adore.

"There are five boys in the Beaulieu family -- Christian, Raymond, Antoine, Zachary and Yvan. But Zac (played by Emile Vallee and Marc-Andre Grondin) is the only one who's gay. That's why growing up in Montreal alongside his heterosexual brothers and his strict, emotionally distant father (Michel Cote) proves especially challenging for the blossoming outsider, who finds solace in the music of Pink Floyd, the Rolling Stones and David Bowie."

It is a French Canadian film about the relationship between a gay son and his father. The film spans the 60s-80s and has a pretty fantastic soundtrack, the humor is quirky and intelligent.

Let The Right One In

"Twelve-year-old Oskar (Kåre Hedebrant), the constant target of bullies, spends his time plotting revenge and collecting news items about the grisly murders plaguing his town. But things change when he meets a new girl named Eli (Lina Leandersson), a misfit vampire who steals his heart. As a serial killer continues to prey on teen boys in their small Swedish village, Eli helps Oskar find the courage to stand up to his tormenters."

Has anyone else seen this? I have friends who loved it...I expected to...
but it was too dark and twisted for me. I watched it, but it took me weeks to finish it. I wonder what others think?

The Girl Who Played With Fire

"Tech expert Lisbeth Salander (Noomi Rapace) becomes the prime suspect when two journalists, including Dag Svensson (Hans Christian Thulin), die after Millennium magazine publisher Mikael Blomkvist (Michael Nyqvist) launches an exposé of the Swedish sex trade. In Part 2 of the trilogy based on the action novels of Stieg Larsson, the vampiric Salander vanishes as Blomkvist digs deep into a possible conspiracy."

For those of you who have read the Millennium Trilogy, film #2.

(ever see 'La Femme Nikita'? and then have the misfortune of watching 'Point of No Return'?)

Read (and then see) the Millennium Trilogy now, before it is dumbed down.

Aimee & Jaguar

Based on the memoirs of Lilly Wust, this is the story of two women who fall in love in 1943 Berlin: Lilly (Juliane Köhler), the wife of a Nazi officer, and Felice (Maria Schrader), a Jewish journalist. When the two women begin their affair, they rechristen themselves Aimée and Jaguar to help avoid detection. They then set up housekeeping and try to tune out the war, but the Gestapo is never far behind.

Gemme
12-25-2010, 01:24 AM
The Ramen Girl

When her boyfriend leaves her high and dry in Tokyo, spoiled American tourist Abby (Brittany Murphy) finds solace in a neighborhood ramen noodle house run by a cantankerous old chef (Toshiyuki Nishida), who agrees to take her on as an apprentice cook. But will the dirty grunt work and endless criticism drive Abby away before she discovers the serene beauty in the perfect bowl of soup -- and in herself? Robert Allan Ackerman directs this comedy.

Cast:Brittany Murphy, Toshiyuki Nishida, Tammy Blanchard, Sohee Park, Kimiko Yo, Renji Ishibashi, Maria Abe, Daniel Evans, Masayoshi Haneda, Hajime Inoue, Justin Berti, Judai Ikeshita, Sonya Inge, Gabriel MannDirector:Robert Allan AckermanGenres:Comedy, Indie Comedies, Food StoriesThis movie is:Heartfelt

My Comments: Really cute movie with a happy ending. I just love the determination of Brittany Murphy's character Abby. I also didn't know that Ramen was an art and that the cheap stuff in cellophane bags isn't authentic ramen. It made me research online how to really make it and I realized its not that easy BUT I will make it one day because of this movie.

More coming... please share your favs.

My thoughts about this movie are along the lines of yours. I think it was probably Brittany's best work.

The_Lady_Snow
02-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Charlyne Yi embarks on a quest across America to make a documentary about the one subject she doesn't fully understand: Love.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTY0OTg3MzM1M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzAyMzI1Mg@@._ V1._SY317_.jpg

girl_dee
02-27-2011, 11:28 AM
Stoning of Soroya M.

Most moving thing I ever watched.

Sachita
02-27-2011, 02:04 PM
The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia
(http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_Wild_and_Wonderful_Whites_of_West_Virginia/70117032?trkid=496624#height1678)
actually Christie and Jess turned me onto this movie.

This movie is a total trip. It centers around a colorful West Virginia family. It's like reality TV rolled into a documentary. I can't even really describe it but it will make you laugh, cry and unsure if you should feel deep compassion or get these people their own island.

Read the reviews at netflix... it will tell you more. I thought it was great. A few people remind me of them. lol I guess its funny because I live in Southern Virginia and this is all pretty common in these parts. lol

Sachita
02-27-2011, 02:16 PM
I like netflix but honestly these days I've already watched the movies they are about to release. They seriously need to bump it up somehow.

anyone here of Graboid?

I think I'm going to get a Sony Internet TV where I can access netflix, hulu and the like. Then I'm going to tell my raping cable company to kiss my ass!

Hack
02-27-2011, 03:29 PM
There was a documentary on Instant Play not too long ago called "Prodigal Sons." I highly recommend it.

Also, all the seasons of Wire in the Blood, most of the seasons of M.I.-5 and Waking the Dead -- all really good BBC or ITV shows from the UK are on Instant Play too.

Another documentary I'd recommend is "Exit Through the Gift Shop." It's up for an Oscar, I think. Great documentary about graffiti artists, in particular Banksy.

Jake

Chancie
02-27-2011, 03:36 PM
I am thinking about getting either a Wii or a roku (http://www.roku.com/).

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Is there anything special I need to know about my television?

Are they hard to set up?

I'm not very tech savvy, believe it or not.

nycfem
02-27-2011, 03:51 PM
We love our roku, very small and easy to set up. BB took care of it all quite easily.

Are they hard to set up?

girl_dee
02-27-2011, 04:27 PM
The newly released Canada version of Netflix has about a 10th of the movie selection.. still pretty good.. one price here $7.99.

They have the Secretary! :drool:

Sachita
02-27-2011, 04:34 PM
roku is cool but if I get the new sony with google I'll get access to netflix and hulu but for an already existing tv yes, its great.

I bought my mom this antenna
Amazon.com: Terk HDTVa Indoor Amplified High-Definition Antenna for Off-Air HDTV Reception: Electronics

she picks up local stations and then some. The picture is great. Lots of good reasons not to pay for cable. I wouldnt mind but sick sick of the prices and commercials on top of paying for programming. I watch all my shows via internet but an antenna would be nice for local.

Sachita
03-06-2011, 05:44 PM
ok, a few good instant play finds on this rainy ass weekend...

Chaos Theory - This movie only goes to prove how one wrong move can domino out of control. Very moving and a few tear jerking moments.

Return to Me - With Minnie Driver, I just loved this movie.

Fetishes - lol- wow, an interesting kinkomentary about the professional dungeon Pandoras Box in NYC. I didn't think it was a good depiction of the scene per se but had some interesting scenes and it had a few hot parts.

Tommi
03-06-2011, 06:16 PM
We love our roku, very small and easy to set up. BB took care of it all quite easily.
I was just looking into that.WOW..So, tis easy, i may run out and get one. Thanks jen and BB..too

Are they hard to set up?

The latest sports Wii my friend has is amazing.I could get hooked and stay home all day though playing games. I know my brain would go numb without social stimulation, and I'd be a cranky ass old stay at home fart playing with games and lose my social skills..:pile:.. and probably be cleaning the light switches with Q-tips or something bizarro...or just be snarky in between the games and stuff..Think I'll go play pool with the bois now.

sherrie loves the NetFlix instantplay
Wii or roku :)

Jess
03-06-2011, 06:36 PM
ok, a few good instant play finds on this rainy ass weekend...

Chaos Theory - This movie only goes to prove how one wrong move can domino out of control. Very moving and a few tear jerking moments.

Return to Me - With Minnie Driver, I just loved this movie.

Fetishes - lol- wow, an interesting kinkomentary about the professional dungeon Pandoras Box in NYC. I didn't think it was a good depiction of the scene per se but had some interesting scenes and it had a few hot parts.

Thanks! I ran across " Fetishes" and was going to add it to the instant queue, but I best wait until we can watch it immediately... or else bratboy will have way too many questions when he clicks on it.. der :blink:

We have to selective about what we add, cause he does netflix through his X-box... how many zombie flicks can someone watch?? I mean for real?? LOL!

wolfbittenpoet
03-06-2011, 06:38 PM
I use my xbox 360 and my netbook. Watched Camp earlier was kind of sweet. Also watched Dark Shadows the Original am 20 eps in and have another 40. Plus rewatching Doctor Who.

Sachita
03-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Thanks! I ran across " Fetishes" and was going to add it to the instant queue, but I best wait until we can watch it immediately... or else bratboy will have way too many questions when he clicks on it.. der :blink:

We have to selective about what we add, cause he does netflix through his X-box... how many zombie flicks can someone watch?? I mean for real?? LOL!

omg his poor brain! Its was ok from a femdom point of view. An interesting point he reflects is that although many dominatrix's say they are bisexual it appears they enjoy women more. I'm sure the pro scene is different then the lifestyle scene

Sachita
03-11-2011, 07:10 PM
another good instant play "City Island" very good. Watch it

girl_dee
03-21-2011, 04:26 PM
The Brandon Teena Story, the story behind Boys Don't Cry

I thought I had seen it all until I saw the real details of this story. Good grief.

Sachita
03-21-2011, 05:11 PM
City Island - very good

Gemme
03-21-2011, 07:04 PM
We saw The Spy Next Door Today, with Jackie Chan. We both enjoy him very much.

Sachita
05-19-2011, 04:32 PM
Not netflix but a free movie site. Cute chick flick and happy ending

http://www.awooh.com/change-of-plans-online/

wolfbittenpoet
05-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Howl is very good. About Allen Ginsberg.

The_Lady_Snow
07-22-2011, 03:05 PM
The Fighter

The cast in this movie is phenomenal, I was highly impressed how well put together all the actors were, their acting was superb! I wanted to dislike Cristian Bale's character yet I could not do anything but cheer form him.

http://www.filmofilia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/the_fighter-535x383.jpg

Sachita
07-23-2011, 06:27 PM
thank you. Its a great movie. I watched it today.

The Fighter

The cast in this movie is phenomenal, I was highly impressed how well put together all the actors were, their acting was superb! I wanted to dislike Cristian Bale's character yet I could not do anything but cheer form him.

http://www.filmofilia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/the_fighter-535x383.jpg

Sachita
07-31-2011, 03:25 PM
on instant play

"Alabama Moon"

this is a family movie and really sweet. happy and some parts sad. just a great feel good movie.

Julie
07-31-2011, 03:48 PM
Thanks Sachita -- I have that on my instant and I think I will watch now.
Just watched Radio with my son last night.... Truly a feel good and powerful movie.

LOVED IT!

http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/radio/images/gp031551.jpg

*Anya*
07-31-2011, 03:49 PM
I have a strange (interesting?) mix on my list:

Toy Story3-for my GD
WWII in HD- everything about that war and time period fascinates me
Masterpiece Mystery- just about any of the BBC dramas interest me
Ghosted-a German lesbian movie
Night of the Living Dead-the classic George A. Romero, still scary in B&W
Nosferatu: The Gothic Industrial Mix (1922 classic)
Show Me Love-another foreign lesbian movie
Reaper-2007 CW series still cracks me up

Among others...

Logicaly
08-04-2011, 09:07 AM
I am enjoying watching Deadly Dozen right now. Its a nature documentary on various countries most deadliest living creatures.

wolfbittenpoet
08-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Hogsfather and The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett
Sherlock which is just awesomeness

pajama
08-04-2011, 10:37 AM

Yes. Yes! and a resounding YES. I watched this a month ago on my Netflix and absolutely love it. I love the guy that plays Sherlock and how they developed the Sherlock character. And also love the background they gave Holmes.

Do you know any more about the series? Like if it's still running, or other episodes?

A

jelli
08-23-2011, 06:52 AM
Netflix instant play or get the DVD. this was recommended in the healthy eight thread and WOW!

x9SGWcZwk7c

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Fat_Sick_Nearly_Dead/70173634?trkid=1457044

Liam
08-23-2011, 07:13 AM
The Botany of Desire, is a PBS special with author Michael Pollan, which explores the relationships of four plants with humans. I gave it five stars.

GdXOeWMwX-4

The_Lady_Snow
08-28-2011, 02:56 PM
I recommend "The Lottery" a documentary about the charter school system in Harlem causing controversy within it's community & public school officials.

The_Lady_Snow
09-18-2011, 04:50 PM
This movie was one jumpy moment to the next, the guy is a CREEPER in it!!

"The Resident"

http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/the-resident-movie-image-hilary-swank-jeffrey-dean-morgan-5.jpg

Fancy
09-18-2011, 05:04 PM
I recommend "The Lottery" a documentary about the charter school system in Harlem causing controversy within it's community & public school officials.

I agree! I had this on my instant list and watched it a few weeks ago. It shares a unique insight and gives alot to think about when it comes to city school systems.

Martina
09-18-2011, 09:25 PM
i am just going to list some stuff on my Watch Instantly Activity. i can't say i'd recommend that anyone watch what i do. God, i used to watch too much tv. Alas no more. New job. i wouldn't even be online now if i hadn't already worked till i am bleary eyed.

Bones
The Eiger Sanction
Gangs of New York
Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead
Sons of Anarchy
In Plain Sight
American Experience: After the Mayflower
The Birdcage
Sports Night
The Beauty Academy of Kabul
Impromptu
Scarlet Street
A Touch of Larceny
Dead Like Me
Commander in Chief
Eli Stone
Brothers and Sisters
Herb and Dorothy
Zulu
Bleak House
Fawlty Towers
Rocky and Bullwinkle
Himalaya: North by Northwest -- a Michael Palin travel thing
Sanctuary
Exes and Ohs
Terminator
All in this Tea
The Dresden Files
Psych
Prison Break
National Geographic: Inside North Korea
Hot in Cleveland
Dirty Sexy Money -- Donald Sutherland was so good in this one-season tv show
Breakfast with Scott
-------------------------------------------

on Hulu --

Burn Notice
Season 4 of In Plain Sight

Sachita
09-19-2011, 05:49 AM
Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead is one of a few must see on NetFlix if you are concerned with health, weight and food safety.

A few others I highly recommend along these lines:

Ingredients - Food safety and cost doesn't have to be that complicated if communities supported it.

The Future of Food - Whats going on really in the food systems. You should be very concerned.

Sachita
10-13-2011, 06:41 AM
This movie is not on Netflix yet but I found a free link here:

http://www.moviefreenow.com/watch-the-help-online-free-2011

Just close the little ad box that talks about upgrading, click play, then pause for about 10 min to let the stream buffer.

I really enjoy this movie. On one hand it made me sad remembering that it wasn't that long ago we segregated. In fact there were remnants of it when I was a child. My mother grew up in Birmingham AL and would tell me stories that made me sick.

anyhow, I thought this movie was lighthearted and yet at the same time it reminded us that it wasn't that long ago we had these racial issue. We still have them today.

Scuba
10-13-2011, 07:51 AM
Great thread!! Am turning into a Netflix junkie myself :) I have also found many great, free movies on HULU. One by the title of "Ink" is well worth watching. It's a low-budget, well made film about how we choose to be both in life and death.

Some of my Netflix faves:

The Tudors - Must see Showtime series about Henry VIII and his reign as king

Whale Wars - Original founder of Green Peace has his own organization. It's about there battle against the Japanese whaling industry

Weeds - Definitely a good time killer :)

Off to read through the thread...lots of folks have made lots of recommendations and I need to get a list going!

always2late
10-13-2011, 08:03 AM
Hogsfather and The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett

There are movies based on the Terry Pratchett books??? Why don't I know about this???

In my current Netflix list are all the seasons of True Blood (Sigh, I finally broke down after hearing everyone I know rave about it.) I started reading the books and enjoyed them, so figured I'd give the series a try. I just got through season one and it was OK (I liked the books much better). On to season two.

Kelt
10-13-2011, 08:30 AM
Now that I have finished MI5 up to current there is nothing worth watching.
I've been ruined. :|

Sparkle
10-13-2011, 09:10 AM
Now that I have finished MI5 up to current there is nothing worth watching.
I've been ruined. :|

So True. So True.

Hopefully Vol. 10 will be available before January/February.

I got hooked on 'Damages' after I stopped sulking about the last of MI-5 Vol. 9

The_Lady_Snow
10-13-2011, 09:30 AM
ZOMBIES!! A&E's

"The Walking Dead" is streaming on NetFlix!!!

Kelt
10-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Hopefully Vol. 10 will be available before January/February.

Not a moment too soon!

Fancy
10-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Top 5 in my DVD queue at the moment:
1. The Ballad of Jack and Rose
2. Once
3. Junebug
4. Léon: The Professional
5. 7 Girls: White Knuckle Extreme

Top 5 in my instant stream queue:
1. Nine Lives
2. All the Days Before Tomorrow
3. Waste Land
4. Strange Culture
5. Kick-Ass

Sparkle
10-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Top 5 in my DVD queue at the moment:
1. The Ballad of Jack and Rose
2. Once
3. Junebug
4. Léon: The Professional
5. 7 Girls: White Knuckle Extreme

I loved 'Once' and 'Leon' :)

Logicaly
10-14-2011, 11:38 AM
The other day I watched Lifted at the suggestion of my sister. A bit sad, but also good as well, so I suggest checking it out.

Fancy
10-24-2011, 07:43 PM
I loved 'Once' and 'Leon' :)

Watching Once (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0907657/) now...

*mush* I'm really liking this.

Scuba
10-24-2011, 10:59 PM
Genesis - Foreign, unusual, love story :)

Sachita
10-27-2011, 06:00 PM
I am addicted to these old English movies. I've spent the past week watching them all. Love them

netflix search Catherine Cookson movie's. There is a whole bunch of them and highly addictive if you like this sort of thing.

Sachita
11-20-2011, 06:45 AM
You gotta check out

"Red State"

Director Kevin Smith puts a unique spin on the horror genre in this tale of hormonal urges gone awry. Three high school boys answer an online ad from a woman seeking wild sex and soon find themselves in the hands of some dangerous religious zealots.

Snow you'd love this movie

HoustonHuny
11-20-2011, 07:10 AM
You gotta check out

"Red State"

Director Kevin Smith puts a unique spin on the horror genre in this tale of hormonal urges gone awry. Three high school boys answer an online ad from a woman seeking wild sex and soon find themselves in the hands of some dangerous religious zealots.

I recently watched this one. It was great and John Goodman was in it...much thinner I might ad. :clap:

Sachita
11-20-2011, 08:06 AM
I recently watched this one. It was great and John Goodman was in it...much thinner I might ad. :clap:

yeah i don't normally go for this type of movie but a friend suggested it and I decided to give it a watch. I'm more into the feel good type of movies, maybe a big of action here and there.

Sachita
12-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Not netflix but Twilight Breaking Dawn online for free
http://watchmoviesonlinefree.ch/watch-breaking-dawn-online-free/

nycfem
12-05-2011, 06:16 PM
I love watching Butterfly Kiss, such a freaky ass dark comedy about lesbian murderesses! What's not to like?! It's very camp. And a fun soundtrack to boot! It's a cult film for me. Warning: triggery.

Onyxena
12-05-2011, 11:54 PM
I really like Itty Bitty Titty Committee. It gets the politically active idealist side of me going.

:)

Dutch Leonard
04-02-2012, 12:48 PM
I really enjoyed The Topp Twins: Untouchable Girls, a documentary about a twin Lesbian singing duo from New Zealand.

nycfem
04-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Netflix Instant Play:

I watched Winnegbago Man (doc- pretty good, nothing exceptional)

Mum and Dad (horror- same as above)

Kevin Smith - Too Fat for 40 (AMAZING, hysterical, fat positive, substance friendly)

Tiny Furniture - (AWESOME, about an angsty college grad in nyc, funny, alternative, deep... maybe)

Red Without Blue- (TOTALLY INCREDIBLE DOC - trans awesomeness)

Off and Running - (Great doc, two white lesbians adopt an African American daughter)

Insidious (GREAT horror)

The Burning (horror movie about sleep away camp- I'm in the middle but I like it, heh heh ;)

If I haven't heard of a movie, it must have 3 stars for me to select it cuz I'm classy like that.

girl_dee
04-02-2012, 07:23 PM
just watched this one... damn good

http://cdn-0.nflximg.com/en_ca/boxshots/gsd/70109140.jpg

trixie
04-02-2012, 08:55 PM
I really enjoyed The Topp Twins: Untouchable Girls, a documentary about a twin Lesbian singing duo from New Zealand.

I just watched this and wow did it make me happy. Great choice.

girl_dee
04-03-2012, 03:25 PM
You gotta check out

"Red State"

Cant get it in Canada, the USA and Canada sites are quite different, but i am enjoying some movies i would have never watched in the states..

watched the Donner Party last night, it was good!

If it is based on a true story, i'm watchin it...

gotoseagrl
04-13-2012, 12:34 PM
http://www.ardenwebsales.com/general_store/DVD/penny-serenade.jpg

we loved this one.

aishah
04-13-2012, 01:12 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/dd/Miralfilmposter.jpg/220px-Miralfilmposter.jpg
http://www.miralmovie.com/

really enjoyed this one. if you're interested in films set in palestine, the lemon tree is also wonderful.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/0b/Lemon_Tree_poster.png/220px-Lemon_Tree_poster.png

Ebon
04-13-2012, 02:02 PM
Right now I'm having a Star Trek: Enterprise marathon. Sub Commander T'Pol needs to marry me.

Talon
04-18-2012, 02:25 PM
Netflix Instant Play:

I watched Winnegbago Man (doc- pretty good, nothing exceptional)

Mum and Dad (horror- same as above)

Kevin Smith - Too Fat for 40 (AMAZING, hysterical, fat positive, substance friendly)

Tiny Furniture - (AWESOME, about an angsty college grad in nyc, funny, alternative, deep... maybe)

Red Without Blue- (TOTALLY INCREDIBLE DOC - trans awesomeness)

Off and Running - (Great doc, two white lesbians adopt an African American daughter)

Insidious (GREAT horror)

The Burning (horror movie about sleep away camp- I'm in the middle but I like it, heh heh ;)

If I haven't heard of a movie, it must have 3 stars for me to select it cuz I'm classy like that.

Loved Red Without Blue....I will have to see Tiny Furniture, thanx nycfembbw.

The_Lady_Snow
07-09-2012, 06:05 PM
NetFlix Instant Play:

"The Poker House"

It's a great story of survival.

"Conan"

:| that's how it was for me :|

girl_dee
07-09-2012, 06:15 PM
i wish the Canada version of NetFlix would get together with the USA version, every movie ya'll suggest isn't here!

i watched several movies while in the hospital, one which was Shutter Island, i like Martin Scorsese movies but i couldn't follow this one!

Ravenouss
07-13-2012, 07:02 PM
i watched several movies while in the hospital, one which was Shutter Island, i like Martin Scorsese movies but i couldn't follow this one!

One of my favorite movies (books). Try watching again. It's easy to miss clues if you only watch(read) it once.

Sachita
07-28-2012, 03:25 PM
On instant play- "The Way" with Martin Sheen.

When his son dies while hiking the Camino de Santiago pilgrimage route in the Pyrenees, a grieving father flies to France to claim the remains. Looking for insights into his estranged child's life, he decides to complete the 500-mile trek to Spain.

Really good movie that makes you think. Loved it

Sparkle
08-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Netflix just moved some of the 'Prime Suspect' series over to instant play.
If you've not seen it, its a great suspenseful crime drama starring Helen Miren who is quite possibly one of the best actresses ever.

Also the original/British 'Queer as Folk' has been moved over to instant as well. The first episode of the first series caused quite a stir on primetime television when it first aired in 1999/2000? The American production team didn't do the series justice when they bought the rights (shocking, I know.)

*Anya*
08-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Watching a really good series about a group of friends and exes, lesbians in their 20's-30's in Glasgow.

Good drama, some hot sex at least towards the end of the second episode that I just finished; complete with strap-on.

10 episodes all together.

Title: Lip Service

It is available for streaming.

The_Lady_Snow
08-18-2012, 08:47 PM
"XXY" - GREAT storyline!!!

"La Cosecha"/ The Harvest- it's hard to watch but very eye opening if you're not informed on how much child labor gets over looked in this country.

"Irresistable" - total mind fuck kinda movie!

clay
08-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Question for you Netflixers, please......how the heck does one navigate their site? Thanks in advance
I type in the search box a movie title I want to see...and dang if I don't get anywhere from 117 to 279 pages to "scroll thru"...what am I doing wrong and is there (I sure HOPE so) an easier way to navigate. Want to make a queue line up...:).
I know also I can't watch any of the seasons of any shows I may like later than 2011....
Am watching ( for like the 100th time...Hunt For Red October///a very fave one...)

Sparkle
08-19-2012, 11:03 AM
Question for you Netflixers, please......how the heck does one navigate their site? Thanks in advance
I type in the search box a movie title I want to see...and dang if I don't get anywhere from 117 to 279 pages to "scroll thru"...what am I doing wrong and is there (I sure HOPE so) an easier way to navigate. Want to make a queue line up...:).
I know also I can't watch any of the seasons of any shows I may like later than 2011....
Am watching ( for like the 100th time...Hunt For Red October///a very fave one...)

So you're an online streaming member only? Netflix Instant?
Or instant and mailer dvds?

The very latest television shows and series and films will only be available on disc. Though in terms of more recent TV series you may find what you're looking for on hulu.com (particularly with a hulu plus membership).

In terms of searching, I don't usually have trouble finding what I want via the search bar on netflix...can you give us an example?

The more specific you are (especially with titles) the better.

If I don't know what want to watch, I find the best way to look for interesting things is to search by genre: comedy, drama, documentary, thriller, tv etc.

If you click the 'Watch Instantly" button along the header, you'll see the genres in a drop down menu.

Another good tool is to click the "Taste Preferences" button also along the header and spend some time rating movies and television shows - that will help the program matrix create customized genres for you, which generates lists (which are sometimes quite amusingly titled), currently Netflix has the following lists for me:

Gritty Crime TV Shows
Understated Independent Dramas
Suspenseful BBC TV Shows
Critically Acclaimed Visually Striking Foreign Movies
Quirky TV Shows featuring a Strong Female Lead
Classic Sentimental Romantic Movies
Controversial Social and Cultural Documentaries

and then it will also generate lists that are "Like" things you've recently been watching...I have "More like Shaun the Sheep" among my taste preferences list...

Parker
08-19-2012, 11:53 AM

I am on a stream-only plan, so if I search for something and it doesnt come up, but 500 other shows or movies with one of my search words in the title does, I know what I was looking for isnt available on Netflix streaming yet.

Also, Netflix, unlike Amazon, will not have really new and recent TV show episodes - at least not on streaming.

I am just getting back in to Netflix because I dumped my cable TV so I sifted through their streaming movies and TV this morning for about an hour adding on anything and everything that sounded even remotely interesting. lol

clay
08-19-2012, 01:35 PM
So you're an online streaming member only? Netflix Instant?
Or instant and mailer dvds?

The very latest television shows and series and films will only be available on disc. Though in terms of more recent TV series you may find what you're looking for on hulu.com (particularly with a hulu plus membership).

In terms of searching, I don't usually have trouble finding what I want via the search bar on netflix...can you give us an example?

The more specific you are (especially with titles) the better.

If I don't know what want to watch, I find the best way to look for interesting things is to search by genre: comedy, drama, documentary, thriller, tv etc.

If you click the 'Watch Instantly" button along the header, you'll see the genres in a drop down menu.

Another good tool is to click the "Taste Preferences" button also along the header and spend some time rating movies and television shows - that will help the program matrix create customized genres for you, which generates lists (which are sometimes quite amusingly titled), currently Netflix has the following lists for me:

Gritty Crime TV Shows
Understated Independent Dramas
Suspenseful BBC TV Shows
Critically Acclaimed Visually Striking Foreign Movies
Quirky TV Shows featuring a Strong Female Lead
Classic Sentimental Romantic Movies
Controversial Social and Cultural Documentaries

and then it will also generate lists that are "Like" things you've recently been watching...I have "More like Shaun the Sheep" among my taste preferences list...

hey sparkle...yes, online streaming only! Thanks for the reply, BTW!
I wanted to watch Prince of Tides a few weeks back when my GF was here. So in the search box on Netflix homepage, I typed in movie title...it borught up something like 279 pages of titles to scroll through. I went through something like 25 pages, and still hadn't found the one I wanted, so I gave up.
Other titles I have wanted to search for...and I get a ridiculous number of pages to look through...still unable to find one I wanted.
I have also done the genres..and now have quite a few with selected shows/movies in them.
In the rating selections, I have done those as well.
It is just so darn frustrating to want to find a movie without having to read 279 pages....:(.
Thanks for the help, sparkle!!!

aishah
08-31-2012, 12:11 AM
watching this one right now.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/5b/Poster_of_the_movie_The_Dhamma_Brothers.jpg/220px-Poster_of_the_movie_The_Dhamma_Brothers.jpg

http://www.dhammabrothers.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dhamma_Brothers

Dutch Leonard
09-02-2012, 02:24 AM
The 10th Kingdom is available for streaming on Netflix. It is one of my all time favorite miniseries.

pQMBTWayAlE

girl_dee
09-02-2012, 05:36 AM
We watched the Meerkats last night! Hosted by Paul Newman.

i LOVE Meerkats, my pup in Oregon always sat up and reminded me of a Meerkat. i want a Meerkat.

The_Lady_Snow
09-02-2012, 06:00 AM
"Junk Yard Dog"

Grab a beer, wine glass, doobie and sit back to watch this ridiculous B movie. Vivica Fox was the best thing on it.

:| : <-- 1 1/2 :| rating

":"<-- represents half :|

The_Lady_Snow
09-03-2012, 04:08 PM
"Snowtown Murders"

:|

Someones's on a serial killer roll... It's disturbing.

Corkey
09-03-2012, 04:51 PM
The 10th Kingdom is available for streaming on Netflix. It is one of my all time favorite miniseries.

pQMBTWayAlE

We just watched, terribly hokey and fun 3 1/2 stars out of 4 for best hokey.

chefhmboyrd
09-03-2012, 05:56 PM
lots of cheese, but you have to love the costumes and sets. very dark fantasy
loved it

11Mide2KXow

Dutch Leonard
09-04-2012, 11:49 PM
When I was looking at the IMDB info for Junkyard Dog, I happened to notice a trailer for Kill Speed. If you like car chases, then you might also enjoy airplane chases.

bcelly1894
09-17-2012, 01:02 AM
I love Netflix. Ive been watching it on my computer and I have gotten the dvds in the mail before. Has anyone tried the roku box to watch netflix on tv. I wanted to ask around before purchasing one.

The_Lady_Snow
10-06-2012, 01:43 PM
I was checking out my queue on Netflix and low and behold The Walking Dead has Season 1 & 2..

No sunbathing today!

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/207/4/d/the_death_by_joe_roberts-d58qa4s.jpg

The_Lady_Snow
10-21-2012, 10:25 AM
"Mutants" - it's a subtitled movie, foreign Zombie Apocalyptic trip!! Awesome

"Exit Humanity" - Civil War piece with a graphic novel feel to it, I liked it he loved it it's pretty awesome because it was not campy. Dee Wallace was awesome and had a great "quick draw scene"

"Beautiful Boxer" - this movie was recommended in one of the the movie threads by stargazinboi I believe I may be wrong:| Loved loved the movie the story and the characters..

These are ALL available on NetFlix!!

Chancie
10-21-2012, 11:32 AM
Should we get Netflix, the streaming variety?

I watch one or two movies a week, but nothing too serious.

I like Jane Austen and other 'period' movies, but I also love movies like Iron Man and Captain America. We'd probably watch BBC series too.

*Anya*
10-21-2012, 01:44 PM

I like Jane Austen and other 'period' movies, but I also love movies like Iron Man and Captain America. We'd probably watch BBC series too.

Yes, I enjoy it very much! I think it is worth the $7.99 per month.

:)

The_Lady_Snow
10-21-2012, 01:54 PM

We don't have cable and rely on Hulu and Netflix for our in home entertainment. I LOVE NetfliX because of their foreign movie choices and I can watch show's from TV on there from Season 1.

I almost don't want to go back to cable ever and give them the biggo :rant::thefinger: but I miss the CNN and the MSNBC and AMC.

femmsational
10-21-2012, 01:57 PM
We don't have cable and rely on Hulu and Netflix for our in home entertainment. I LOVE NetfliX because of their foreign movie choices and I can watch show's from TV on there from Season 1.

I almost don't want to go back to cable ever and give them the biggo :rant::thefinger: but I miss the CNN and the MSNBC and AMC.

Will you please stop bumping this thread to the top of the page???? The Brutal One is driving me batty about Netflix and I'm trying to put him off a month cause I want to spent our descretionary money on clothes this month.

PLEASE and THANK YOU!!!

The_Lady_Snow
10-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Will you please stop bumping this thread to the top of the page???? The Brutal One is driving me batty about Netflix and I'm trying to put him off a month cause I want to spent our descretionary money on clothes this month.

PLEASE and THANK YOU!!!

~*~*BUMP*~*~

BrutalDaddy
10-21-2012, 01:59 PM

PLEASE and THANK YOU!!!

See????? It's only 8 bucks too!!

Grumbling,
Brute.

femmsational
10-21-2012, 02:26 PM
~*~*BUMP*~*~

Bitch!!

:sunglass:

The_Lady_Snow
10-22-2012, 07:32 AM
Bitch!!

:sunglass:

**~BUMP~**

NJFemmie
10-22-2012, 07:39 AM
I cancelled my Netflix.

In the beginning, I watched it almost constantly - but after exhausting my interests, I couldn't justify spending the 7.99/month anymore, especially after going a few months of not watching it.

I also found myself visiting Redbox often. For the amount of movies I watch these days, it turns out to be cheaper and more viable.
Netflix takes forever to put out new movies.

Thankfully, I caught Walking Dead Season 2 on AMC's marathon. Netflix allowed me to watch Season 1 and got me hooked. :)

Stud_puppy1991
10-22-2012, 09:07 AM
I currently have in my Netflix:

X-Men: First Class. I love the X-Men and I am a huge geek when it comes to this stuff. Plus, I'm interested to see how they depict the original X-Men, as well as the origins of Professor X and Magneto and the Brotherhood

The Avengers. I love Marvel, what can I say?

Sherlock series 2. I love the BBC series and I love my Holmes.

Game of Thrones

Boardwalk Empire

NJFemmie
10-22-2012, 09:58 AM
I currently have in my Netflix:

X-Men: First Class. I love the X-Men and I am a huge geek when it comes to this stuff. Plus, I'm interested to see how they depict the original X-Men, as well as the origins of Professor X and Magneto and the Brotherhood

The Avengers. I love Marvel, what can I say?

Sherlock series 2. I love the BBC series and I love my Holmes.

Game of Thrones

Boardwalk Empire

I'm somewhat of a comic book nerd myself.
I have Avengers but haven't watched it yet.
I'm saving it for a special day. :)

All the X-men movies were good. If you're that nerdy, you'll enjoy it :)

ladyhawkxx
10-22-2012, 10:11 AM
We love Netflix! In the queue at the moment:

What's Eating Gilbert Grape?
Girl Interrupted
Who the (Bleep) did I marry?
Jersey Shore
Sister Wives
Runaway Bride and
Vampire Diaries

Sachita
10-22-2012, 01:05 PM
I use netflix and since I have Amazon Prime (so worth the 75.00 a year btw I save a lot more then that on shipping cost) I also use Amazon Video. Amazon may very well start seriously kicking Netflix's ass if Netflix doesn't start releasing sooner. Although rentals are 1.99 to 3.99 the same as a video store, I often find videos on Amazon I can't get on Netflix.

I'd love to get rid of my cable and I may one day. I have roku but my TV is internet ready so it has lots of its own apps. I also have kindle fire and often watch movies on it. Netflix has apps for almost every reader and tablet now. I even watch Son's of Anarchy on my iphone!

Martina
10-22-2012, 01:32 PM
I just got my netflix to play on this computer. It wouldn't play. It wouldn't play on my old netbook too, so I haven't had it in eight or nine months. Over this summer, I was in a vacation rental that had cable, so I didn't miss it.

I have been spending money on Amazon lately. I have Prime too, but I have been spending money to watch TV episodes. I probably still will, but it's good to have the netflix option.

I just looked up my last Amazon orders:

NCIS
NCIS
NCIS
Murder at the Gallop -- old black and white Miss Marple film
Covert Affairs
Covert Affairs
Bones

Dance-with-me
10-22-2012, 01:36 PM
I use netflix and since I have Amazon Prime (so worth the 75.00 a year btw I save a lot more then that on shipping cost) I also use Amazon Video. Amazon may very well start seriously kicking Netflix's ass if Netflix doesn't start releasing sooner. Although rentals are 1.99 to 3.99 the same as a video store, I often find videos on Amazon I can't get on Netflix.

I'd love to get rid of my cable and I may one day. I have roku but my TV is internet ready so it has lots of its own apps. I also have kindle fire and often watch movies on it. Netflix has apps for almost every reader and tablet now. I even watch Son's of Anarchy on my iphone!
This, for me, exactly. Well, except for the Son's of Anarchy thing. And I read (but haven't yet investigated) that Amazon now has an app to let you stream their movies on an iThingy.

Also, if you BUY a movie from Amazon's streaming library, you can both watch it online any time and download the file to store on and watch from your PC or other device.

If you're a student (or just have a .edu email address) you can get Hulu for half-price. I haven't been watching them much but that may change once I drop cable, since according to friends who watch it regularly they're great for recent TV shows.

And I'm going to put in a plug for my cheesy current favorite dance movie which features a baby butch/femme love story, called Leading Ladies. Don't expect an Oscar winning script or acting, but if you enjoy cheesy old movies (especially old movie musicals) you'll love this. Plus it has two really fantastic dance scenes.

Talon
12-20-2012, 10:11 AM
It's actually a series and not a film..but I'm hooked, nonetheless.
It's called "Lost Girl".

Sachita
12-20-2012, 01:23 PM
It's called "Lost Girl".

wow this certainly looks interesting!

Talon
12-20-2012, 01:43 PM
wow this certainly looks interesting!

...It is...You should check it out, Sachita.

It's about a succubus.

Ms. Meander
12-20-2012, 01:51 PM
The King's Speech recently became available for instant viewing. Can't believe I haven't seen it yet! Me and a bag of Smartfood have a date with it tonight.

Sachita
12-30-2012, 04:22 PM
I thought someone here recommended this but I can't find the post.

There is a BBC series called "Lip Service"

Holy bloody hell! It's drama about some lesbians in England. Yeah they are mostly the fru-fru kinda lesbians but there are some very hot sex scenes. I enjoyed the plot as well. :)))

There is this one character named Sam, a cop and she is exactly the type that would make my blood boil! omg I watch all 12 episodes in a week and they are an hour long! I can't wait for them to make some more!

Then there is another BBC series that I find fucking funny as hell. lol My son thinks it stupid but I love it. It's called "Shameless"

-Red-Flag-
12-30-2012, 04:51 PM

Holy bloody hell! It's drama about some lesbians in England. Yeah they are mostly the fru-fru kinda lesbians but there are some very hot sex scenes. I enjoyed the plot as well. :)))

There is this one character named Sam, a cop and she is exactly the type that would make my blood boil! omg I watch all 12 episodes in a week and they are an hour long! I can't wait for them to make some more!

Then there is another BBC series that I find fucking funny as hell. lol My son thinks it stupid but I love it. It's called "Shameless"

Has seen the LipService series .. Loved it.. I am more of a Lexy lover myself.. lol

as for Shameless a friend on here got me hooked on the American version, Ive never seen the BBC version, I am sure its just as good if not better !!

Talon
12-30-2012, 05:35 PM

I loved "Lip Service"...watched every episode in two days. I found it to be *much* more witty than the "L Word".

Sachita
12-30-2012, 05:42 PM
I loved "Lip Service"...watched every episode in two days. I found it to be *much* more witty than the "L Word".

The L Word was ok only because it was the only thing but it was fucking BORING. Lip Service has good plots. It made me want to stay up and keep watching episodes.

clay
12-30-2012, 06:04 PM
recent films I watched:
Elena Undone
The Weekend
A Marine Story
Cowboy Junction
Loving Annabelle...very good imho
considering "Lip Service"
Sordid Lives (movie AND series)

Sachita
12-30-2012, 06:21 PM
recent films I watched:
Elena Undone
The Weekend
A Marine Story
Cowboy Junction
Loving Annabelle...very good imho
considering "Lip Service"
Sordid Lives (movie AND series)

Lip Service will keep you up at night! lol

clay
12-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Lip Service will keep you up at night! lol

chuckles....if I have any more "coughing fits", I will remember this. I usually get up, drink something cold, sit awhile..so this may be entertaining...thanks...:)

clay
12-30-2012, 06:34 PM
some others I have seen are:
Inescapable
Hannah Free (this was good, with Sharon Gless)
I love that actress Sheetal Sheth, I think is her name...she is realy good.
MY TO WATCH list includes:
Bloomington
The Gymnast
Summer Lovers
Edie & Thea
Between Two Women
The Lesbian Short Story Film Festival

clay
12-30-2012, 06:35 PM
The L Word was ok only because it was the only thing but it was fucking BORING. Lip Service has good plots. It made me want to stay up and keep watching episodes.

The Real "L" Word was much better....

Talon
12-31-2012, 04:47 PM
Has anyone seen "My Summer of Love" with Emily Blunt? That was a good one.

Last night I watched "Red Lights" w/ Robert Deniro and Sigourney Weaver, that was a really good film, as well.

clay
12-31-2012, 04:49 PM
Has anyone seen "My Summer of Love" with Emily Blunt? That was a good one.

Last night I watched "Red Lights" w/ Robert Deniro and Sigourney Weaver, that was a really good film, as well.

hey T...I just started watching that one. Beautiful horse, isn't it?

The Gymnast is a great one...if you haven't seen it.

Talon
12-31-2012, 05:11 PM
hey T...I just started watching that one. Beautiful horse, isn't it?

The Gymnast is a great one...if you haven't seen it.

Yes! You read my mind, there...

No, I haven't seen The Gymnast...I will check it out, thanks Clay.

clay
12-31-2012, 05:47 PM
Yes! You read my mind, there...

No, I haven't seen The Gymnast...I will check it out, thanks Clay.

you will really enjoy the Gymnast.....she reminds me of you in ways...just from reading of your athleticism (bikes, skiing, horses, hiking, etc)
and absolutely on that Horse...

Sachita
01-02-2013, 06:30 AM
It's called "Lost Girl".

ok this is good. Normally I don't go for this type of scifi thing but it's almost got a True Blood feel. I wonder how I missed this? lol were they cancelled or will they have more seasons?

Talon
01-02-2013, 02:47 PM
ok this is good. Normally I don't go for this type of scifi thing but it's almost got a True Blood feel. I wonder how I missed this? lol were they cancelled or will they have more seasons?

I'm glad you like it, Sachita. Actually, I'm not sure if the series did get cancelled...but I do know that there are three seasons, total.
They do have all of the DVD sets on Amazon..and eventually Netflix will have them on instant stream, as well.

Talon
01-02-2013, 02:50 PM
you will really enjoy the Gymnast.....she reminds me of you in ways...just from reading of your athleticism (bikes, skiing, horses, hiking, etc)
and absolutely on that Horse...

Really...? Interesting...I do love a good sports film...She better be cool though, buddy..:pirate-steer:

*chuckle*

clay
01-02-2013, 02:57 PM
Really...? Interesting...I do love a good sports film...She better be cool though, buddy..:pirate-steer:

*chuckle*

Uber so!!!!

Talon
01-03-2013, 10:34 AM
I watched "The Gymnast" last night..and I really liked it. Now I'm interested in that whole ariel gymnastics thing..it's like this cool melding of graceful dance and the strength of gymnastics. And that beautiful song that plays at the end by Jane Seaberry..loved that. Isn't that the same actress that starred in "A Marine Story"?

clay
01-03-2013, 05:02 PM
I watched "The Gymnast" last night..and I really liked it. Now I'm interested in that whole ariel gymnastics thing..it's like this cool melding of graceful dance and the strength of gymnastics. And that beautiful song that plays at the end by Jane Seaberry..loved that. Isn't that the same actress that starred in "A Marine Story"?

hmmm, I am thinking yes.....
The aerial stunts were incredible. The scene with them in that gossamer type material...OMG...hot!!!
Glad you loved it. Yes, the ending.....fucking incredible...:).

Martina
01-03-2013, 05:10 PM
I'm glad you like it, Sachita. Actually, I'm not sure if the series did get cancelled...but I do know that there are three seasons, total.
They do have all of the DVD sets on Amazon..and eventually Netflix will have them on instant stream, as well.

No, Lost Girl didn't get cancelled.

Martina
01-03-2013, 05:15 PM
The new season of Lost Girl premieres Monday, January 14th, 10pm on Syfi. No idea when it will get to Neflix. I loved her hot kisses with the doctor. Darn that old girlfriend.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/04/syfy-2013-schedule_n_2241054.html

Sachita
01-04-2013, 06:51 AM
The new season of Lost Girl premieres Monday, January 14th, 10pm on Syfi. No idea when it will get to Neflix. I loved her hot kisses with the doctor. Darn that old girlfriend.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/04/syfy-2013-schedule_n_2241054.html

awesome! I am hardly ever up at 10PM. I'll see if Syfi offers past episodes online.

It's a little corny, I admit and the girl on girl isnt all that hot but it is network TV. It feels a lot like True Blood which I love. I'm going to have to invest in Tivo I guess!

Martina
01-04-2013, 08:37 AM
It's a little corny, I admit and the girl on girl isnt all that hot but it is network TV.

I am all femme on femme these days so it works for me. The casting of the doc seems good. She looks like a fairly conventional feminine dyke to me. Something about her. Not sure what.

Hollylane
01-18-2013, 10:36 PM
While Gaige was visiting...I tortured her with some Morgan Spurlock. These are my favorite episodes of "30 Days"...

Life on an Indian Reservation
Minimum Wage
Muslims and America
Off the Grid (featuring The Dancing Rabbit Eco-Village, a group I have been watching from afar, since their inception, with monthly newsletters and direct communication over the years)
Immigration
30 Days in a Wheelchair
Animal Rights (this one made me cry, because of the inclusion of animal abuse)

Also, we watched together:

The Walking Dead
Doctor Who
Catherine Tate

I have also been recently watching:

The Tutors
Downton Abbey (BBC)
Merlin (BBC)
No Reservations
Doc Martin (BBC)
Sherlock (BBC)

QueenofSmirks
01-20-2013, 02:21 PM
I watched a movie called "My Normal". It had a good plot idea, but it was choppy, and I think they missed the mark a little bit on the "moral" of the story. Some themes seemed in opposition of each other, and some things that got a lot of attention never proved to be of any significance later. Acting was okay for most characters, there were two standout performers. I give it 2.5 out of 5 stars - kind of interesting, but don't expect any awards.

Kelt
01-20-2013, 08:50 PM
I enjoyed "30 days" also.

Now in my queue is 'Foyles War', I'm really enjoying it. Haven't really watched much fiction lately but this series was recommended to me a couple of years back and I'm glad I decided to check it against the 20 minute test. On the 4th episode now.

:movieguy:

Hollylane
02-01-2013, 03:20 PM
I have become so wrapped up in Downton Abbey, that I am now watching season 2 on Amazon Prime (free with AP), and I've already purchased season 3, which is not available on AP free videos. I believe it has also gone on to season 4. YAY!

I'm going to watch some now (and possibly end up having a siesta ;))

dixie
02-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Well, I've been through "The IT Crowd" about three times now, and have started on a couple other British comedy series. I've also been watching some very interesting gay/lesbian documentaries. "Small Town Gay Bar" was a really good one. I've discovered that I don't actually watch 'movies' on Netflix lol

Sachita
02-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Well, I've been through "The IT Crowd" about three times now, and have started on a couple other British comedy series. I've also been watching some very interesting gay/lesbian documentaries. "Small Town Gay Bar" was a really good one. I've discovered that I don't actually watch 'movies' on Netflix lol

You should check out "Shameless"

clay
02-01-2013, 05:30 PM

hey Dixie...I, too, watched Small Town Gay Bar!
Have you seen the documentary on Chely Wright... My Own Way? She was a C&W singer...after she came out, she has not been invited to perform at any of the awards for C & W music...
If you get a chance, watch The Gymnast, The Marine, Weekend Trip, The Redwoods...to name a few....

Dante
02-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Has anyone seen the series, Breaking Bad? I am going to order it, I think, all 5 or 6 seasons!

Sparkle
02-06-2013, 10:09 AM
Has anyone seen the series, Breaking Bad? I am going to order it, I think, all 5 or 6 seasons!

I've seen a few episodes, it is very well made - but a little too tense for me. :|

I've been watching the new $100million series of "House of Cards" commissioned by and broadcast exclusively on Netflix.
It is directed by David Fincher and Joel Schumacher and stars Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright - it is REALLY GREAT!!!

Daktari
02-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Breaking Bad is Awesome!! Arrow is good too.

Currently loving Elementary. Modern Sherlock Holmes in 'merica with Jonny Lee Miller (of Trainspotting fame) as Sherlock and Lucy Lui as Dr.Watson. :thud:

Daktari
02-06-2013, 10:24 AM
I've seen a few episodes, it is very well made - but a little too tense for me. :|

I've been watching the new $100million series of "House of Cards" commissioned by and broadcast exclusively on Netflix.
It is directed by David Fincher and Joel Schumacher and stars Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright - it is REALLY GREAT!!!

Ya oughta watch the Brit original. It was really good. :cheesy:

Sparkle
02-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Ya oughta watch the Brit original. It was really good. :cheesy:

I have seen a couple of episodes! :)

I've recently watched both the Swedish and the UK versions of 'Wallander'.
Have you seen either?

I watched the Swedish version first and loved it.
I was really surprised to discover I enjoyed both (in different ways).
And I no longer think that Kenneth Branagh has become an over-inflated caricature of himself. I actually liked him as Wallander.

Have you seen the Norweigan version of 'The Missing'? A friend of mine, in Blighty, mentioned it. There is an American version I quite liked, I'm told the original version is great. But I can't find it anywhere.

Kelt
02-19-2013, 11:29 PM
I've finished up Foyles War and truly enjoyed it.

I'm now onto Wallander (Brit version) about 4 episodes in and have another winner! May want to watch the Swede version too.

As long as the US doesn't get ahold of it, we'll be fine.

TheMerryFairy
02-19-2013, 11:50 PM
I watched a movie called "Tiny Furniture" It was interesting in an odd way. I couldn't shut it off.

Martina
02-20-2013, 12:53 AM
Recommendations:
Some of these were short-lived. All TV series. I rarely enjoy a regular movie anymore. I haven't watched all the episodes of all or even most of these, but enough to recommend them.

Life -- a cancelled network series with the guy who stars in Homeland.
Merlin
Supernatural
Sons of Anarchy
Warehouse 13
Dresden Files
Dirty Sexy Money
Commander in Chief
Lost Girl
Burn Notice
In Plain Sight
Star Trek Deep Space Nine
The West Wing
Alias
White Collar
Damages

On Amazon

Homeland
Justified
Covert Affairs
NCIS
Rizzoli and Isles
Leverage
Castle

Emmy
02-20-2013, 02:35 AM
I was kinda disappointed with Kevin Spacey's 'House of Cards'. I thought I would love it since I'm a huge political nerd, but it just seemed a bit off somehow-- the political scandals didn't really ring true and were somehow less disturbing than a lot of real political scandals.

'Never Sorry' about Ai Wei Wei is really interesting and inspiring as is 'How to Survive a Plague'.

Martina
02-23-2013, 02:42 AM
Hart of Dixie -- season 1 on Netflix
On Amazon, season 2 up till now.

Hollylane
02-23-2013, 03:25 AM
I just found another lovely BBC series, Larks Rise to Candleford. I am already in love with the cast of characters, some of the actors are from my other new favorite, Downton Abbey, and there is the added bonus of a series that includes Dawn French, whom I can't seem to get enough of! There are already 4 seasons available, and IMDB shows that the series is still active.

It is not on Netflix, it is on Amazon Prime (free movies/tv shows with yearly membership). I didn't think anyone would mind if I posted about Amazon Prime programs here, because it is also a streaming service, and I just didn't see the need for a whole new thread.

QueenofSmirks
02-23-2013, 11:49 AM
While Gaige was visiting...I tortured her with some Morgan Spurlock. These are my favorite episodes of "30 Days"...
<snip>
Also, we watched together:

The Walking Dead
Doctor Who
Catherine Tate

I have also been recently watching:

The Tutors
Downton Abbey (BBC)
Merlin (BBC)
No Reservations
Doc Martin (BBC)
Sherlock (BBC)

LOVED The Tutors! And a coworker of mine recently recommended (highly!) Walking Dead, which I am LOVING as well!

Talon
02-23-2013, 12:03 PM
Downloading Nancy w/Maria Bello.

Martina
02-28-2013, 06:05 PM
Eureka. I am liking it so far.

Talon
03-05-2013, 02:16 PM
"Odine" w/ Colin Farrel...

"A Matador's Mistress" w/Adrian Brody & Penelope Cruz.

Talon
03-06-2013, 11:01 AM
Passion Play w/ Mickey Rourke

Sparkle
03-06-2013, 11:25 AM
this is a huluplus recommendation (not netflix)

"The Long Way Down" and "The Long Way Round"

Ewan McGregor and his best buddy plan two epic journeys on their motorcycles with limited support staff.

In 'The Long Way Down' they drive from Scotland to South Africa.

And in the 'The Long Way Round' they drive from London to New York, the eastern route (via Russia, the 'Stans, Alaska, Canada and finally the continental US)

AmazonWoman1
03-06-2013, 08:42 PM

Its on streaming on netflix

AmazonWoman1
03-06-2013, 08:48 PM
C.R.A.Z.Y.

This was a film recommended by someone I adore.

"There are five boys in the Beaulieu family -- Christian, Raymond, Antoine, Zachary and Yvan. But Zac (played by Emile Vallee and Marc-Andre Grondin) is the only one who's gay. That's why growing up in Montreal alongside his heterosexual brothers and his strict, emotionally distant father (Michel Cote) proves especially challenging for the blossoming outsider, who finds solace in the music of Pink Floyd, the Rolling Stones and David Bowie."

It is a French Canadian film about the relationship between a gay son and his father. The film spans the 60s-80s and has a pretty fantastic soundtrack, the humor is quirky and intelligent.

Let The Right One In

"Twelve-year-old Oskar (Kåre Hedebrant), the constant target of bullies, spends his time plotting revenge and collecting news items about the grisly murders plaguing his town. But things change when he meets a new girl named Eli (Lina Leandersson), a misfit vampire who steals his heart. As a serial killer continues to prey on teen boys in their small Swedish village, Eli helps Oskar find the courage to stand up to his tormenters."

Has anyone else seen this? I have friends who loved it...I expected to...
but it was too dark and twisted for me. I watched it, but it took me weeks to finish it. I wonder what others think?

The Girl Who Played With Fire

"Tech expert Lisbeth Salander (Noomi Rapace) becomes the prime suspect when two journalists, including Dag Svensson (Hans Christian Thulin), die after Millennium magazine publisher Mikael Blomkvist (Michael Nyqvist) launches an exposé of the Swedish sex trade. In Part 2 of the trilogy based on the action novels of Stieg Larsson, the vampiric Salander vanishes as Blomkvist digs deep into a possible conspiracy."

For those of you who have read the Millennium Trilogy, film #2.

(ever see 'La Femme Nikita'? and then have the misfortune of watching 'Point of No Return'?)

Read (and then see) the Millennium Trilogy now, before it is dumbed down.

Aimee & Jaguar

Based on the memoirs of Lilly Wust, this is the story of two women who fall in love in 1943 Berlin: Lilly (Juliane Köhler), the wife of a Nazi officer, and Felice (Maria Schrader), a Jewish journalist. When the two women begin their affair, they rechristen themselves Aimée and Jaguar to help avoid detection. They then set up housekeeping and try to tune out the war, but the Gestapo is never far behind.

I completely agree with you also about the original Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.Noomi rocked that movie like she WAS the character.I read the books she was so perfect casting

Kelt
03-23-2013, 08:05 PM
I've finished up Foyles War and truly enjoyed it.

I'm now onto Wallander (Brit version) about 4 episodes in and have another winner! May want to watch the Swede version too.

As long as the US doesn't get ahold of it, we'll be fine.

Now halfway through the Swedish version, even better!

Sparkle
03-23-2013, 09:00 PM
Now halfway through the Swedish version, even better!

Agreed! ....

Sachita
03-24-2013, 09:02 AM
Did anyone see Albert Nobbs with Glenn Close? This is an amazing film.

Having for decades disguised herself as a man while working as a butler in a posh 19th-century Dublin hotel, a woman calling herself Albert Nobbs reconsiders her charade when a handsome painter arrives on the scene.

Holly I love love Downton Abby~! I'm addicted to it. I can't wait for season 4. I had to buy season 3 from Itunes. :)

Sachita
03-24-2013, 09:06 AM
I just found another lovely BBC series, Larks Rise to Candleford. I am already in love with the cast of characters, some of the actors are from my other new favorite, Downton Abbey, and there is the added bonus of a series that includes Dawn French, whom I can't seem to get enough of! There are already 4 seasons available, and IMDB shows that the series is still active.

It is not on Netflix, it is on Amazon Prime (free movies/tv shows with yearly membership). I didn't think anyone would mind if I posted about Amazon Prime programs here, because it is also a streaming service, and I just didn't see the need for a whole new thread.

Ooooo that looks good Holly! Larks Rise to Candleford

Yes, post Amazon Prime! I love love Prime not only for the fast FREE shipping which pays for the cost of membership but the videos and books. I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tablet that I love but kept my kindle fire just for amazon movies.

Little Fish
03-24-2013, 09:21 AM
Downton Abbey is such a wonderful piece of television; all the characters have wonderful range and such authentic emotional texture, I'm quote enjoying it! <<<< said with a British accent of course.

There have been few filmmakers who have enchanted me consistently like the work of Australian Peter Weir. More recently you may have appreciated his "Master and Commander" with Russell Crowe--

but earlier work like "Gallipoli", a coming of age/redemption/war is stupid/duty and honor (starring a young and virtually unknown fellow Aussie Mel Gibson)---

"Picnic at Hanging Rock" (thinly veiled homoerotic girls/women and some weird local legend, beautifully shot)--

"The Year of Living Dangerously" (an amazing film starring Gibson again, paired with Sigourney Weaver and introducing Linda Hunt AS A MAN / she won the Oscar for her role)

Thanks all for the other suggestions, I'll definitely be spending some quality time with Netflix soon! Hope you're all having a nice Sunday--

Outlaw
03-24-2013, 09:25 AM
Just watched Forks Over Knives (http://www.forksoverknives.com/) and The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1412386/) I am so falling in love with my ROKU!

Daktari
03-24-2013, 10:46 AM
United states of Tara is awesome! A new discovery for me.

gaea
03-24-2013, 11:51 AM
I love Netflix ....the documentaries alone I worth Netflix, I stream it on my tv ans that is awesome too.

I have been enjoying the gay/lesbian documentaries as well as other documentaries.

I also enjoy an occasional movie lol

dixie
03-24-2013, 05:44 PM
At the moment I'm finishing up the last season of
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBPCEFMnsz8rOIfSZZaMei4Use77zrc ZT9i14oAlLJbc7QXE0D
even though I've seen most of them on I.D. :)

Talon
03-29-2013, 11:12 AM
White Irish Drinkers.

Kelt
03-31-2013, 10:04 AM
The newest episodes of Mad Men just showed up for me, or I just noticed they were there, so I am enjoying those.

Dutch Leonard
03-31-2013, 11:12 AM
http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff482/Dutch_Leonard/roadracers-movie-poster-1994-1020210995_zps99147250.jpg

It's got Salma Hayek!

clay
03-31-2013, 11:29 AM
I love Netflix ....the documentaries alone I worth Netflix, I stream it on my tv ans that is awesome too.

I have been enjoying the gay/lesbian documentaries as well as other documentaries.

I also enjoy an occasional movie lol

hey gaea, if you haven't already seen it, watch The Gymnast...it IS phenomenal...a sweet, sweet story.

Sachita
04-01-2013, 06:42 PM
Holly Lane thank you for the tip on Lark Rise to Candleford. I really love it. I've watched two seasons already! It's available on Amazon Instant Video- free if you have Prime.

Sparkle
04-01-2013, 06:46 PM
A series I've just started watching on Hulu plus:

Love/Hate

It's a gritty violent gangland drama set in Dublin.
Great cast, compelling writing, fast paced and excellent music.

clay
04-01-2013, 09:05 PM
On HuluPlus I am watching, and loving these:
Chicago Fire..I was able to watch all 19 episodes to get up to speed...in its first season.

The Following..LOVE it.

Red Widow..love it also.

I was only able to go back and see just a few episodes of Modern family..is okay..mediocre....

Hollylane
04-02-2013, 09:41 PM
On Amazon Prime, I'm re-watching an old favorite, Ballykissangel. I love the characters!

cinnamongrrl
04-29-2013, 12:21 PM
I can't recall if I mentioned this previously, but we have REALLY taken a liking to The Killing on Netflix. We found out that the show is actually going to be starting its 3rd season on cable (Teddy knows which channel, or you can google) in June. We are nearly done with the 2nd season and will be able to pick it up for the 3rd season when it gets here. It's a VERY well done show and takes place in the PNW, which makes me want to visit there even more. The scenery sometimes steals the show!

Kelt
05-08-2013, 10:55 PM
Found another inspector series to enjoy; 'The Eagle' is out of Denmark and quite good.

Daktari
05-09-2013, 04:37 AM
Hannibal....oooh I lurves it. It's Lector and Agent Will Graham when they initially met.

Talon
05-13-2013, 05:33 PM
"The Vicious Kind"....Intense drama.

"Twelve"....Drama/thriller

"The Coalition"....Romance/drama

"Thump"....Irish action/thriller

>>I really loved each one.

Sparkle
05-13-2013, 05:59 PM
Top of the Lake

Mystery crime drama set in New Zealand
Written and directed by Jane Champion, Holly Hunter plays a class A weirdo and the actress who plays Peggy in Mad Men stars.

Daktari
05-25-2013, 01:33 PM
Vikings - awesome stuff. 'Gritty' and a little gruesome; I shall be following this one.

The Following - a little formulaic and hammily acted by the serial killer protagonist but not a bad diversion for 40mins.

GretaGable
05-25-2013, 02:46 PM

I don't have to watch that; I think I dated her lesbian twin :blink:
Oh, and the Runaways ruled!:)

homoe
05-25-2013, 02:56 PM
Is it just me or has anyone else thought Mad Men has had a couple bizarre episodes? Starting from the season opener with characters that we had never seen before and no doubt will never see again, to this past weeks with shenanigans so over the top I turned it off. This program was one of the very few I looked forward to watching but now, not so much!

Kelt
05-25-2013, 02:59 PM
Vikings - awesome stuff. 'Gritty' and a little gruesome; I shall be following this one.

The Following - a little formulaic and hammily acted by the serial killer protagonist but not a bad diversion for 40mins.

Hmm, just watched the 'Vikings' trailer. Looks like something I would like, nicely barbaric. Will have to contemplate though, I have an aversion to paying for video entertainment beyond the basic streaming fees.

After finishing the series 'The Eagle' which is about the Danish equivalent of the US CIA, I wanted some more and found the series 'The Protectors' which is the Danish sized equivalent of our US secret service, I am watching it now. I enjoy the international crime types of series, when MI5 went off it took me a while to recover.

Daktari
05-26-2013, 07:11 AM
Vikings is available on the free streaming sites I use. Infact I don't pay for tv .....apart from the BBC license fee which I pay because sometimes I wanna watch 'live' tv. All the streaming sites I use are free.

Yes, it is wonderfully barbaric :cheesy:

Kelt
05-26-2013, 08:27 AM
Vikings is available on the free streaming sites I use. Infact I don't pay for tv .....apart from the BBC license fee which I pay because sometimes I wanna watch 'live' tv. All the streaming sites I use are free.

Yes, it is wonderfully barbaric :cheesy:

Are these sites international?

I have access through Netflix, Amazon (has Vikings at $1.99 per ep.), and anything Roku hosts. I did find a roku channel (Mhz) that streams quite a bit of Danish, Swedish, and Norwegian stuff; unfortunately it is pricy at $3.99 per ep., it even has the original Swedish Wallander. Too rich for my willingness to pay.

I don't watch any broadcast TV.

Hollylane
06-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Two old favorites...

http://www.filmwerk.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/empireofsun.jpg

&

http://climategate.nl/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/220px-Seven_Years_in_Tibet_cover.jpeg

Hollylane
06-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Gaige and I may start watching Heroes today...But at the moment, we are distracting each other with fantasies about milkshakes....:)

Hollylane
06-02-2013, 04:04 PM
I just purchased on Amazon...

The Fifth Element

Resident Evil: Afterlife

Resident Evil: Retribution

Kelt
07-26-2013, 06:35 PM
*bump*

I haven't watched anything much lately, but I did just finish up watching the second Netflix original content series "Orange is the new black".

Enjoyed it a lot.

Daktari
07-27-2013, 03:20 AM
I've been checking out Orange... too. It's mildly distracting. Not half as good as (the late lamented) Bad Girls.

Orange is also available on the free streaming sites.

Currently working m'way through all 8 seasons of Criminal Minds.

The third series of Luther has just finished on the Beeb. All three seasons are awesome! Idris Elba is a fantastic actor.

Really looking forward to getting into Channel 4's The Mill, no matter how dreek and dour it looks. :|

Kelt
07-27-2013, 08:19 AM
The third series of Luther has just finished on the Beeb. All three seasons are awesome! Idris Elba is a fantastic actor.

Thanks for the tip, looks interesting. Just put it in my queue.

Sparkle
07-27-2013, 09:08 AM
I've been checking out Orange... too. It's mildly distracting. Not half as good as (the late lamented) Bad Girls.

Really looking forward to getting into Channel 4's The Mill, no matter how dreek and dour it looks. :|

Are these sites international?

I have access through Netflix, Amazon (has Vikings at $1.99 per ep.), and anything Roku hosts. I did find a roku channel (Mhz) that streams quite a bit of Danish, Swedish, and Norwegian stuff; unfortunately it is pricy at $3.99 per ep., it even has the original Swedish Wallander. Too rich for my willingness to pay.

I don't watch any broadcast TV.

Thanks for the tip, looks interesting. Just put it in my queue.

*"Bad Girls" was camp-tastic! when it started anyway, I grew a bit tired of it by the end.

*I've started watching "Orange is the New Black", I like it, the writing is great, the acting is great, the production quality is great, but I don't LOOOOVE it like so many people seem to already. I've not felt compelled to watch the whole series in a single sitting.

One of the things I do love about it is that there are a lot of "flash back scenes" that tell the story of Piper and her GF getting together and they're set in Northampton (my town) in the early-to-mid 90s and reference places that aren't around anymore - that aspect is very nostalgic and fun. And ironically Lea DeLaria, who has a role in the production, was hanging out in Northampton during that period because she was dating a Smithie. I have colourful Lea-at-the-bar memories. :P

*Kelt, does the roku channel you described have the original (Danish) version of 'The Killing' available? It's called "Forbrydelsen" I haven't been able to find it on any other streaming site and I'd love to see it.

Also the original (Swedish) version of 'Wallander' is on Netflix, search for "Henning Mankell's Wallander" - I liked it better than the BBC version, but I thought the BBC version was pretty good!

*"Luther" is awesome! I can't wait for season 3 to be streamed over here.

*A neat series I stumbled across on Netflix recently was "Top of the Lake", a Kiwi mystery/thriller type mini-series. It has a few David Lynch-esque moments. And is quite a compelling crime thriller.

Metro
07-30-2013, 04:49 PM
The past 3 nights, very late nights, I fell into the void of binge-watching the entire Season 1 (13 episodes) of Orange is the New Black on Netflix... wondering when Season 2 will be available to swallow me whole.

:scarytv:

The_Lady_Snow
07-31-2013, 08:38 AM
The past 3 nights, very late nights, I fell into the void of binge-watching the entire Season 1 (13 episodes) of Orange is the New Black on Netflix... wondering when Season 2 will be available to swallow me whole.

BEST SHOW EVER!!!!

Words
07-31-2013, 09:18 AM
Blue has never thrown Hys pie for me (not unless it's some kind of euphemism for...well, never mind).

I knew there was something missing...and now I know what it is.

(LOVE the show, though I do find Piper to be somewhat insipid.)

Kelt
07-31-2013, 09:57 AM

I have become a total binge watcher. For the last couple of years I haven't watched anything any other way. I much prefer it, and can't see any reason to go back to consuming video the old 'TV' way.

Why read a magazine article when the whole book is sitting right there? :blink:

Daktari
07-31-2013, 10:03 AM
Me three!

I can't foresee going back to watching telly in the 'old' way. I lurve being able to choose what I want, when I want for as long as I want (on any given day).

lusciouskiwi
07-31-2013, 10:22 AM
I just finished watching "Homeland" Season 1 & 2 on dvd. REALLY liked it at the beginning (still liked it at the end of S2) because the main female character was so ... un-female. Made for a nice change.

UofMfan
07-31-2013, 01:01 PM
http://skreened.com/render-product/o/r/o/orohwfidbelhacvjnwmz/i-the-my-pie-for-you.american-apparel-unisex-tank.black.w380h440z1.jpg

Orange is the New black!

I have watched 4 episodes and I am pacing myself, unlike when I watched all the episodes of The Newsroomn in one sitting.

I think it is a great show, I am having a great time watching it.

Hollylane
07-31-2013, 01:19 PM
Alaska: The Last Frontier

Flying Wild Alaska (Made me want to get a private pilot license, but this to shall pass)

Mountain Men

Sparkle
07-31-2013, 02:08 PM
I just finished watching "Homeland" Season 1 & 2 on dvd. REALLY liked it at the beginning (still liked it at the end of S2) because the main female character was so ... un-female. Made for a nice change.

If you liked 'Homeland' try to find 'Prisoners of War' the original Israeli show it was based on, it's even better. It's available to stream on Hulu plus in the States but I don't know if you can access that, lusciouskiwi.

weatherboi
07-31-2013, 02:21 PM
The Unloved was good!!!

Daktari
07-31-2013, 02:59 PM
Breaking Bad returns very, very for the second session of season 5. I lurves Walter White, meth cook extraordinaire.

Daktari
07-31-2013, 03:47 PM
*mutters about missing words outta posts*

:sigh:

girl_dee
07-31-2013, 08:57 PM
http://skreened.com/render-product/o/r/o/orohwfidbelhacvjnwmz/i-the-my-pie-for-you.american-apparel-unisex-tank.black.w380h440z1.jpg

Orange is the New black!

I have watched 4 episodes and I am pacing myself, unlike when I watched all the episodes of The Newsroomn in one sitting.

I think it is a great show, I am having a great time watching it.

Yes!

i admit that the first 15 minutes i was not impressed then suddenly i was hooked and enjoyed a Sunday of watching the whole season!

Jess
08-01-2013, 12:17 PM
recent series' we've been watching:
Call The Midwife
MI-5
Copper
Fringe

All great programming, but now I am stuck trying to find the final season of Fringe... grrrrr

Daktari
08-01-2013, 01:34 PM
recent series' we've been watching:
Call The Midwife
MI-5
Copper
Fringe

All great programming, but now I am stuck trying to find the final season of Fringe... grrrrr

Final season is super awesome! I found them all on projectfreetv

Hollylane
08-01-2013, 09:23 PM
Warehouse 13

Jess
08-02-2013, 02:43 AM
Final season is super awesome! I found them all on projectfreetv

MAHALO!!!!! :hangloose:

Parker
08-02-2013, 01:23 PM
So - anyone else watching this other Netflix show, Hemlock Grove? I read an article that said you may not see it pop up in your suggestions because it is geared toward teen horror fans, but since I watch a lot of horrors, thrillers, mysteries, etc, it kept popping up as a suggestion, so I said wth. I just started it today and am on episode 3 of 13 - it's been renewed for a second season, due out in 2014.

It is set in a fictional town in PA and is kind of slow and steady in its pace - like The Killing, but it has werewolves, gypsies, and a dude who can do Jedi mind tricks on people - but in a creepy way, not in a funny Star Wars way. lol

It is also a murder mystery since *something* keeps killing young women and they are trying to find out who - so it's kind of a The Killing meets Twilight meets Harper's Island kind of show.

Oh - and Eli Roth is the exec producer and also directs at least one episode (the first one).

Here's a trailer:

rlZUsPcChgI

Parker
08-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Re: Hemlock Grove

I didnt see that ending coming.

And I revise my earlier statement - the last few episodes reminded me more of American Horror Story than anything else.

PoeticSilence
08-03-2013, 05:15 PM
It took a long time for me to get through all of the Law and Order series and spinoffs. So, how I'm on to Buffy the Vampire Slayer before I get to the spinoffs with Angel and Willow.

weatherboi
08-03-2013, 09:05 PM
The Collection is a good horror film with lots of gore.