PDA

View Full Version : Elton John, singing at Rush Limbaugh's 4th Wedding

MsMerrick
06-06-2010, 06:56 PM
My Facebook pals are all over this.. Hugely condemning..
( Ok ,my FB pals are primarily gay males in my Mafia )
What do my BFP pals think ?
Here s a link..
http://www.queerty.com/is-it-so-terrible-that-elton-john-made-1-million-performing-for-rush-limbaugh-20100606/

Daywalker
06-06-2010, 06:57 PM
:|

:yeahthat:

:daywalker:

The_Lady_Snow
06-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Gross.

Sell out

Delish
06-06-2010, 07:06 PM
ummm...has Elton lost all his money or something??? Is he going to be the next MCHammer???

weatherboi
06-06-2010, 07:07 PM
Good to know he sold his soul to the devil!!!

always2late
06-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Sigh...I'm disgusted.

MsMerrick
06-06-2010, 07:22 PM
I admit to mixed feelings here
On one hand, I was kinda shocked...
But I also tend to feel its up to the artist, and that its really not my business..
Plus, I have seen many times, that the perception..of what an artist is "worth" , how much they have, is not always correct and often wrong ..
Also, what June said.. Made a lot of sense to me
I am somewhat disappointed though....

Billy
06-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Elton John has given a Bajillion dollars to charity over the years. He has consistently shown up for Aids awareness, even before it became "cool" to do so. I think it's a nice way of taking money from an asshat.

That is another way to look at :) But then I wonder what if he didn't get paid to sing :| And he is actually a good friend to this idiot :|

morningstar55
06-06-2010, 07:23 PM
puzzled and scratching head here ...reading about this........
and umm ........ lol
i like to ditto on Daywalkers response to this...... lol

MsMerrick
06-06-2010, 07:28 PM
That is another way to look at :) But then I wonder what if he didn't get paid to sing :| And he is actually a good friend to this idiot :|
According to the article, the fee was reported to be a Million
Give or take.
Course its hard to believe everything we read ; )
Hmm
Well, did Rush ever get into recovery for his pill addiction ? That could be the link...

Billy
06-06-2010, 07:31 PM
According to the article, the fee was reported to be a Million
Give or take.
Course its hard to believe everything we read ; )
Hmm
Well, did Rush ever get into recovery for his pill addiction ? That could be the link...

Well ya know , business is business and perhaps he donated that money to a good cause :)

WILDCAT
06-06-2010, 07:33 PM
... just got home. I haven't read the link/story yet. My first thoughts were: "YEAH, Rush finally came out of the fucking closet"!!!

:canadian:

Then, I immediately thought then about Eminem - when he came out new as an artist with all of those horrible anti-gay/violent towards women, etc... lyrics. WHO sang "with him" that song on the Grammy's? Elton...

It was VERY POWERFUL!

Many protested that then, but Elton - if I recall correctly sighted "writers rights" AND "freedom to express", etc...

And in the long run, I believe it helped "US". (And probably helped Eminem a bit - with any potential "hate"/bigotry issues.)
__

Anyway, just my initial thoughts. Otherwise, I like the consideration that - that "jerks" money is going towards gay charities (via Elton)!

:vigil:

PEACE

Daywalker
06-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Elton John has given a Bajillion dollars to charity over the years. He has consistently shown up for Aids awareness, even before it became "cool" to do so. I think it's a nice way of taking money from an asshat.

I admit to mixed feelings here
On one hand, I was kinda shocked...
But I also tend to feel its up to the artist, and that its really not my business..
Plus, I have seen many times, that the perception..of what an artist is "worth" , how much they have, is not always correct and often wrong ..
Also, what June said.. Made a lot of sense to me
I am somewhat disappointed though....

This is a perfect example of why topics are opened up into a discussion
Forum...so folks can share their thoughts and different ways of looking
at things, cuz frankly I didn't think about it this way.

:thinking:

And I'm not gonna get all warm n fuzzy...but thanks.

:vampirebat:

Stop trying to scare the kids again.

:eyebrow:

:daywalker:

The_Lady_Snow
06-06-2010, 07:38 PM
I would of liked to seen a story about Elton John telling Limbaugh to shove his money up his ass, then point out why can he be married 4 times yet gay people can't.

I am corny though

Spa
06-06-2010, 07:56 PM
So between Philadelphia getting their asses kicked and reading this thread, I've gotten myself all worked up.
Then I get to Snow's last post and screech in my head "What in all of gay hell about this story would make her horny?".

Spa - going to go put her glasses on.

Miss Scarlett
06-06-2010, 07:59 PM
I have no problem with him performing at Limbaugh's wedding or with them being friends. To me it exposes Limbaugh as the hypocrital buffon we all know him to be.

Besides, if we want to show people we are no different from everyone then we have to interact with them. Rising above the scummy behaviour of people such as Limbaugh is always the way to go.

When I was with Pride Charlotte I made it a point to meet the protestors as they arrived at the entrance to our event to welcome them, introducing myself to as many as possible, giving them my name and shaking their hands. When they got overheated from all their ranting and raving I offered them a cold bottle of water or a chair. I especially sought out their leaders. It's very effective. We look human and they look foolish.

weatherboi
06-06-2010, 08:01 PM
I can find reasons all day long to give Elton the benefit of the doubt over this decision. Rush Limbaugh is a hater and him accepting this gig is gross!!!! He could have not accepted the money and not done the gig. That would have sent a bigger message that makes sense for his community!!!

Miss Scarlett
06-06-2010, 08:03 PM
I would of liked to seen a story about Elton John telling Limbaugh to shove his money up his ass, then point out why can he be married 4 times yet gay people can't.

Limbaugh's 4th marriage...Further proof that we are not the ones destroying marriage in this world...

Spa
06-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Limbaugh's 4th marriage...Further proof that we are not the ones destroying marriage in this world...

Exactly. No one bats an eye at the fact that he marries and divorces on a whim, yet the two gentlemen at my church who just celebrated their 55th anniversary together are, apparently, destroying the sanctity of marriage.

Riiiiggghht,....

Diva
06-06-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm happy to report that Rush Assbaugh has been married more times than I have been.

Does anyone know what Elton sang? "Do You Know Where You're Goin' To", perhaps? "I Am The Walrus"?

I can't believe he did it.

Miss Scarlett
06-06-2010, 08:51 PM
I'm happy to report that Rush Assbaugh has been married more times than I have been.

Does anyone know what Elton sang? "Do You Know Where You're Goin' To", perhaps? "I Am The Walrus"?

I can't believe he did it.

Probably more like "Who's Sorry Now?"

AtLast
06-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Yikes! Strange.... indeed!

Four marriages, eh? Well, glad to see this white racist, drug addicted leader of the GOP is doing a good job concerning the sanctity of marriage for heterosexuals. The nerve of him objecting to same-sex marriage! Hummm... trophy wife?

Who-would-have-sex-with-that man?

I know, I'm being mean, but, he really is unstable and a bigot and well, ugly.But maybe I feel this way because of his politics.... just can't see a thing attractive about him.

Just thought of something ... are there little Limbaughs around???

WILDCAT
06-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Yikes! Strange.... indeed!

Four marriages, eh? Well, glad to see this white racist, drug addicted leader of the GOP is doing a good job concerning the sanctity of marriage for heterosexuals. The nerve of him objecting to same-sex marriage! Hummm... trophy wife?

Who-would-have-sex-with-that man?

I know, I'm being mean, but, he really is unstable and a bigot and well, ugly.But maybe I feel this way because of his politics.... just can't see a thing attractive about him.

Just thought of something ... are there little Limbaughs around???

Isn't Glenn Beck his son? I thought so... (?)

Miss Scarlett
06-06-2010, 09:08 PM
just can't see a thing attractive about him.

Perhaps it's his bank account...

No, he doesn't have any children that we know of

Ebon
06-06-2010, 09:32 PM
He is an artist and obviously a good one. Its not like he asked him to kill babies. Maybe Rush will be a little bit less of an a hole and learn something. Maybe not. When it comes to art the only thing that should matter is the art.

TheBellyBionic
06-06-2010, 10:15 PM
He's free to take whatever job he wants, but I don't see anything positive for the community from it. Rush will be revealed as the hypocrite he is to people who already don't like him. To those who agree with him, this will be just one more opportunity to pull out the celebrity version of "My gay friend knows I don't think he should be a full citizen, and he's fine with it, so what's your problem?"

I do hope he donates the money to worthy cause, but I think if he was going to, we would have heard about it by now.

PearlsNLace
06-07-2010, 11:03 AM
I would rather not have anyone in the queer community be limited to only performing for us and our allies.

Make money off the stupid, that sounds great.

Comedians, painters, singers- queer folks in all sorts of service catagories, do thier jobs for and amoungst the homophobic and transphobic every damn day.

Highlight a 4th marriage with the performance of an artist who is denied such a ceremony? interesting. Many thousands of decisions go in to a wedding. Its an interesting choice for this couple to make. I wonder why they chose Elton.

Hey, maybe its just because his music is AWESOME, and for once, his art was more important that his sexuality.
Bizarrely progressive of the groom....

Corkey
06-07-2010, 02:50 PM
I just want to point something out. Elton is married in England, he has full rights under English law, he doesn't have them here.
I hope he used the money well, as the asshat Rush is an idiot, and a megalomaniac.

Soon
06-07-2010, 02:59 PM
I just want to point something out. Elton is married in England, he has full rights under English law, he doesn't have them here.
I hope he used the money well, as the asshat Rush is an idiot, and a megalomaniac.

Elton John: Where Prop 8 went wrong (http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2008-11-12-elton-john_N.htm)

In December 2005, John and Furnish tied the knot in a civil partnership ceremony in Windsor, England. But, clarified the singer, "We're not married. Let's get that right. We have a civil partnership. What is wrong with Proposition 8 is that they went for marriage. Marriage is going to put a lot of people off, the word marriage."

"I don't want to be married. I'm very happy with a civil partnership. If gay people want to get married, or get together, they should have a civil partnership," John says. "The word 'marriage,' I think, puts a lot of people off.

"You get the same equal rights that we do when we have a civil partnership. Heterosexual people get married. We can have civil partnerships."

-----

Corkey
06-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Elton John: Where Prop 8 went wrong (http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2008-11-12-elton-john_N.htm)

In December 2005, John and Furnish tied the knot in a civil partnership ceremony in Windsor, England. But, clarified the singer, "We're not married. Let's get that right. We have a civil partnership. What is wrong with Proposition 8 is that they went for marriage. Marriage is going to put a lot of people off, the word marriage."

"I don't want to be married. I'm very happy with a civil partnership. If gay people want to get married, or get together, they should have a civil partnership," John says. "The word 'marriage,' I think, puts a lot of people off.

"You get the same equal rights that we do when we have a civil partnership. Heterosexual people get married. We can have civil partnerships."

-----

You are right, my choice of words, not his.

Gayla
06-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Perhaps he did it just to get the entire world talking about what a douche Rush is again.

I know a lot of queers who get paid to perform services at weddings. For some of them, it's their primary source of income. I doubt anyone is telling them they shouldn't take money from the heterosexuals. Granted, this one happens to be much more visible, involves a substantially larger amount of money and the service provider isn't right on the edge of destitute, but when it comes down to it, it's a well paying gig.