PDA

View Full Version : FUCK TARGET

atomiczombie
08-02-2010, 04:19 PM
This is from MoveOn.org:

Get this: Target, the retail giant, just became one of the very first companies to take advantage of the Supreme Court's Citizens United decision allowing unlimited corporate cash in elections.1

Target has spent over $150,000 in the Minnesota Governor's race backing state Rep. Tom Emmer, a far-right Republican who supports Arizona's draconian immigration law, wants to abolish the minimum wage and even gave money to a fringe group that condoned the execution of gay people. 2

Target must think customers won't care. They're wrong: We do care, and we need to let them know that we want Target—and all corporations—out of our elections.

Will you send a message to Target CEO Gregg Steinhafel telling him that you're not going to shop at Target unless they stop trying to buy elections? Click here to add your name to the petition:

http://pol.moveon.org/state/target/?id=22226-7229475-yL9BFux&t=2

Once we get 150,000 signatures, MoveOn members in Minnesota will hand deliver the petition to Target headquarters.

The stakes are much higher than one candidate and one company. Other CEOs are in "wait-and-see" mode following the Citizens United decision, according to a former Federal Trade Commission counsel quoted on NPR.3 If we don't push back hard, this will just be the tip of the iceberg. Other corporations will learn that they can pour money into elections to buy the outcome they want—without paying a price with their customers or shareholders.

We all knew Citizens United would benefit candidates who stand up for corporate CEOs instead of everyday people. But you wouldn't expect a company like Target to jump in and try to buy an election so quickly. After all, Target made its name by being thought of as the more progressive store in the wake of numerous WalMart scandals.

That's why MoveOn members are following up on actions of groups like Human Rights Campaign and the Alliance for a Better Minnesota by telling Target that we won't shop there unless they stop trying to buy elections. Please add your voice now:

http://pol.moveon.org/state/target/?id=22226-7229475-yL9BFux&t=3

And here I thought Target was a good alternative to Walmart. :annoyed:

betenoire
08-02-2010, 04:29 PM
I know, I'm so mad.

But I am probably mostly mad that I didn't buy the pink houndstooth cabbie hat I saw there BEFORE I found out that I need to buycott.

imperfect_cupcake
08-02-2010, 05:28 PM
I thought this was going to be about sex goals.

Gayla
08-02-2010, 06:08 PM
I don't actually use targets. I've discovered that, with a lot of practice, I usually hit what I'm aiming for. But, I've been doing this for quite awhile now. In my younger days, I think visual aids might have been useful. Maybe not a full on target with the bullseye and all but a nice diagram to help me find my way around may have helped some.

AtLast
08-02-2010, 06:46 PM
I thought this was going to be about sex goals.

LMAO!

:fastdraq:

SuperFemme
08-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Is this like one person in Target doing this?

Because the Target here gives to Queer stuff and shows up for Pride.

Does the $150,000 reckless donation undo the good deeds toward the Queer community?

I'd like to know how much to date Target HAS donated to local Queer Org.'s and Prides in order to make a more informed decision.

Corkey
08-02-2010, 06:59 PM
One hand giveth, the other taketh away. Either way they aren't going to support those who support us and our rights. They as a corporation have made their decision, I will not support that.

firie
08-02-2010, 07:02 PM
And any entity even remotely tied to backing the racism in Arizona is worth a boycott, in my opinion.

SuperFemme
08-02-2010, 07:07 PM
yeah, i just went and read.
they are standing by their asshatishness.

fuckers.

jenny
08-02-2010, 08:05 PM
An interesting perspective on this issue... is the CEO of Target being hurt, or is it the employees of Target being hurt?

http://myfeetonlywalkforward.blogspot.com/2010/07/why-not-to-boycott-target.html

atomiczombie
08-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Sexual goals aside (lmao), I am not shopping there anymore. And I really liked Target before, but this is just wrong. *sigh*

Corkey
08-02-2010, 08:09 PM
I really don't think it matters, if the employees agree with the owner and the Corporation, then they can share the blame. The employees who feel it is wrong, can tell the owner that they aren't supporting them, or be sheep. I will not be giving my money to that company to use against me and mine. That is my moral stance. I can live with it.

Eta: I forgot who said this. The easiest way for evil to grow is for good people do nothing.

Strappie
08-02-2010, 09:14 PM
Just heard the other night that the LGBT Committee at Target are not happy right now. I have friends on the committee here in Mpls, MN and I know that they will continue to voice their concerns with the company.

atomiczombie
08-02-2010, 09:36 PM
This is from the San Diego Gay and Lesbian News .com site:

HRC newspaper ad blasts Target, Best Buy for supporting anti-gay candidate Tom Emmer in Minnesota
SDGLN Staff | Mon, 08/02/2010 - 10:03am | Login to bookmark or comment
ENLARGE

WASHINGTON – The Human Rights Campaign placed a full-page ad in the Minneapolis Star Tribune on Sunday, asking Target and Best Buy to make it right, after both companies contributed a total of $250,000 to Independent Expenditure Committee MN Forward.

MN Forward supports anti-equality gubernatorial candidate Tom Emmer. Tom Emmer’s anti-equality views are clear and he is associated with a group that calls for death and violence toward gay people.

“MN Forward may claim to simply be pro-business, but they are supporting an extremist that is not in sync with the majority of Minnesotans in the race for governor of Minnesota," HRC President Joe Solmonese said. "Nobody associated with a group that calls for death and violence toward any group of people belongs in a governor’s mansion, and yet that’s exactly what Tom Emmer is.”

In an open letter to Target and Best Buy in the Star Tribune, HRC asks the two companies to make it up to their fair-minded customer base by making donations to groups that support pro-equality candidates. Both Target and Best Buy have previously scored 100 percent the HRC Foundation’s Corporate Equality Index (CEI).

“Target and Best Buy’s long history of inclusion and fairness makes these donations all the more troubling. These multi-billion dollar companies have spent years treating the LGBT community with respect and dignity. Now they have slapped us in the face for $250,000. We had no choice but to call them out in Minnesota’s biggest newspaper,” Solmonese said.

TheBellyBionic
08-02-2010, 10:35 PM
An interesting perspective on this issue... is the CEO of Target being hurt, or is it the employees of Target being hurt?

http://myfeetonlywalkforward.blogspot.com/2010/07/why-not-to-boycott-target.html

The employees of Target will likely be hurt, regardless. The CEO of Target said that he doesn't care about GLBT rights as long as he gets his minimum wage reduction. If the candidate they're supporting wins, Target employees (and millions of other people) will be seriously hurt.

Soon
08-03-2010, 08:49 AM
LgkCr8mzc4U&feature=player_embedded#!

lipstixgal
08-03-2010, 09:17 AM
I used to shop a lot at target when I lived in KCMO now I shop at Walmart which is no better I think but there are things that one needs to get from these stores that you can't get other places at least not in NJ its all about Macy's and Bloomingdales which is way too expensive for a person just attending school full time so yes I will boycott Target because of their political ties and boycott Arizona as well!!

Pretty Woman
08-03-2010, 07:30 PM
This is from the San Diego Gay and Lesbian News .com site:

BEFORE HRC ran that ad here's what they said about re-evaluating their 100%approval rating for Target on LGBTQ issues: "We don’t believe that rating companies based upon their political contributions is an accurate reflection of their commitment to LGBT equality in the workplace." I'm thinking the timing of the ad was after a whole lot of folks let HRC know that their response was full of s**t.

But check out the video of this woman boycotting Target in MN (it starts a little slow but it really picks up, and it's short):
v=2SipXbgyi68

Pretty Woman
08-03-2010, 07:38 PM
So here's the link to YouTube
YouTube- Consumer Vents At Target For Right-Wing Donation

SuperFemme
08-05-2010, 03:42 PM
Target CEO: Sorry for $150K Donation

By Michelle Garcia

Target CEO Gregg Steinhafel (pictured) has sent a letter of apology to Target employees for the company's $150,000 contribution to a conservative political action committee that backs antigay Minnesota gubernatorial candidate Tom Emmer.

"The intent of our political contribution to MN Forward was to support economic growth and job creation," he wrote in a letter acquired by Minnesota Public Radio. "While I firmly believe that a business climate conducive to growth is critical to our future, I realize our decision affected many of you in a way I did not anticipate, and for that I am genuinely sorry."

Minnesota Forward supports Republican gubernatorial candidate Emmer, who openly opposes marriage equality. He is also friends with musician Bradlee Dean, who has said Muslim countries that execute gay people are "more moral than even the American Christians."

Steinhafel added that the company will begin a "strategic review and analysis" of financial contributions for public policy issues. The company will also take a "leadership role in bringing together a group of companies and partner organizations for a dialogue focused on diversity and inclusion in the workplace, including GLBT issues."

atomiczombie
08-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Target CEO: Sorry for $150K Donation

By Michelle Garcia

Target CEO Gregg Steinhafel (pictured) has sent a letter of apology to Target employees for the company's $150,000 contribution to a conservative political action committee that backs antigay Minnesota gubernatorial candidate Tom Emmer.

"The intent of our political contribution to MN Forward was to support economic growth and job creation," he wrote in a letter acquired by Minnesota Public Radio. "While I firmly believe that a business climate conducive to growth is critical to our future, I realize our decision affected many of you in a way I did not anticipate, and for that I am genuinely sorry."

Minnesota Forward supports Republican gubernatorial candidate Emmer, who openly opposes marriage equality. He is also friends with musician Bradlee Dean, who has said Muslim countries that execute gay people are "more moral than even the American Christians."

Steinhafel added that the company will begin a "strategic review and analysis" of financial contributions for public policy issues. The company will also take a "leadership role in bringing together a group of companies and partner organizations for a dialogue focused on diversity and inclusion in the workplace, including GLBT issues."

Yay! Now if they would only contribute to gay-friendly candidates!

Soon
08-05-2010, 06:47 PM
Target's Promised 'Review Process' For Political Donations Has A Lot Of Anti-Gay Ground To Cover

The truth is not that Target and its leadership have suddenly turned on their commitment to gay rights. It's more that it never really existed to begin with. Further research shows that Target has funneled significant funding to the most socially conservative of Republicans and that it boasts a frightening culture of anti-gay candidate support from Target's own stable of top executives.

We have already noted that CEO Gregg Steinhafel and his wife both maxed out their personal contributions this year to Michele Bachmann and Tom Emmer. But Steinhafel is just the captain of the crew.

Target's current group of top corporate officers have supported a murderers row of anti-gay politicians. Even more confusing, some of those anti-gay candidates supported by Target's PAC and its executives don't even represent Minnesota.

That's just a taste, please make with the click to get the full story. Here's an addition worth noting, however:

Al Franken, who is a very staunch supporter of complete gay equality, received zero dollars from Target executives or the Target PAC. Coleman, meanwhile, supported a constitutional amendment against gay equality.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/05/target-review-process-antigay-donations_n_672643.html

-------------------

more:

Real America: Target Doesn't Support Gay Equality Because It Never Did (http://www.theawl.com/2010/08/real-america-target-doesnt-support-gay-equality-because-it-never-did)

atomiczombie
08-06-2010, 01:50 PM
Target's Promised 'Review Process' For Political Donations Has A Lot Of Anti-Gay Ground To Cover

The truth is not that Target and its leadership have suddenly turned on their commitment to gay rights. It's more that it never really existed to begin with. Further research shows that Target has funneled significant funding to the most socially conservative of Republicans and that it boasts a frightening culture of anti-gay candidate support from Target's own stable of top executives.

We have already noted that CEO Gregg Steinhafel and his wife both maxed out their personal contributions this year to Michele Bachmann and Tom Emmer. But Steinhafel is just the captain of the crew.

Target's current group of top corporate officers have supported a murderers row of anti-gay politicians. Even more confusing, some of those anti-gay candidates supported by Target's PAC and its executives don't even represent Minnesota.

That's just a taste, please make with the click to get the full story. Here's an addition worth noting, however:

Al Franken, who is a very staunch supporter of complete gay equality, received zero dollars from Target executives or the Target PAC. Coleman, meanwhile, supported a constitutional amendment against gay equality.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/05/target-review-process-antigay-donations_n_672643.html

-------------------

more:

Real America: Target Doesn't Support Gay Equality Because It Never Did (http://www.theawl.com/2010/08/real-america-target-doesnt-support-gay-equality-because-it-never-did)

*sigh*

Is Kmart any better?

chefhmboyrd
08-06-2010, 01:59 PM
my current fuck target is 4

Pretty Woman
08-07-2010, 09:27 AM
The link below is to a really great piece of reporting on TheAwl.com
http://www.theawl.com/2010/08/real-america-target-doesnt-support-gay-equality-because-it-never-did
Apparently it seems like a review of Target's political donations puts them smack dab in the midst of donating to the California Prop 8 homophobes as well.

Jet
08-07-2010, 09:31 AM
sorry, I like Target. I don't give a shit what they do. But that's just me because I never get involved.

apretty
08-07-2010, 09:57 AM
FFFFFF target, for real.

has anyone delivered the HRC letter to a target store manager? (--sorry, haven't read the entire thread.)

*i'm not sure which is worse, ignorance or apathy--or letting others do human-rights work, for you. /rant.

Mister Bent
08-07-2010, 03:40 PM
sorry, I like Target. I don't give a shit what they do. But that's just me because I never get involved.

"THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up."

Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984)

SuperFemme
08-16-2010, 04:09 PM
9FhMMmqzbD8

Toughy
08-16-2010, 04:59 PM
9FhMMmqzbD8

*doing a little activist happy dance* I love brilliant protest......

where was this????

Diva
08-16-2010, 06:23 PM
I'm gonna open me up a BIG OL' STORE....right here in WEIRD OL' AUSTIN.......and name it.....

......wait for it....

......wait for it........

TARGAY.
:eyebat:

SuperFemme
08-16-2010, 06:27 PM
*doing a little activist happy dance* I love brilliant protest......

where was this????

Minnesota.

Help it go viral people, and share away!

SuperFemme
08-16-2010, 06:32 PM
Target to Take No Corrective Action Over Donation to Anti-Gay PAC

Target Corporation says it will not honor the Human Rights Campaign's request to "make it right" over its sizable donation to MN Forward, a conservative political PAC which has funded campaign ads for anti-gay gubernatorial candidate Tom Emmer. Emmer supports an amendment banning same-sex marriage in Minnesota, among other anti-equality measures including preventing gay and lesbian couples from using a surrogate mother.

HRC is responding by putting $150K toward pro-LGBT Minnesota candidates, the group says in a press release:

"After two weeks of good-faith discussions, and two tentative agreements, with Target Corporation, the company has informed the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), the nation’s largest lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) civil rights organization, that it will be take no corrective actions to repair the harm that it caused by contributing $150,000 to an organization supporting a vehemently anti-gay candidate closely associated with a Christian rock band that advocates death and violence to gay people.

In response, HRC announced that it will devote $150,000 of its own resources to help elect a pro-equality governor and legislature in Minnesota. The next governor will likely have the opportunity to either sign or veto marriage equality legislation in the North Star State.

Said HRC President Joe Solmonese: “All fair-minded Americans will now rightly question Target’s commitment to equality. If they’re initial contribution was a slap in the face, their refusal to make it right is a punch in the gut and that’s not something that we will soon forget. However, with full marriage equality hanging in the balance in Minnesota, regardless of Target, it’s important that we as a community send a message that we will work tirelessly to elect pro-equality candidates.”

HRC tells Towleroad it will be supporting Mark Dayton for governor as well as fund "pro-equality legislative candidates and pro-LGBT causes."

Queerasfck
08-16-2010, 06:32 PM
We went to K-Mart instead of T* for our sundries today. We're making the sacrifice.

SuperFemme
08-16-2010, 06:39 PM
We went to K-Mart instead of T* for our sundries today. We're making the sacrifice.

Blue light specials are not as sleazy as Red light specials, no?

Toughy
08-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Minnesota.

Help it go viral people, and share away!

I hope they had short sweet bullet point flyers to hand out to everyone in the store and had folks sticking those flyers under the wiper blades of every car in the parking lot.........

Soon
08-17-2010, 12:36 PM
nAuJj7twMI&feature=player_embedded

chefhmboyrd
08-17-2010, 01:33 PM
my fuck target is up to 7

Apocalipstic
08-17-2010, 01:53 PM
I loved Target, I am sad.

Yes, I had a nagging feeling in the back of my head that they were only marginally less evil that Wal-Mart, but I actually did like shopping at Target.

Fuckers!

Apocalipstic
08-17-2010, 01:55 PM
my fuck target is up to 7

I think this may top my action at the wildest of my wild days. You win. :sunglass:

NJFemmie
08-17-2010, 02:01 PM
I don't really shop at Target anymore. Once in a blue moon I may pop in the store, but it's rare that I even make a purchase. Now I have more reason to avoid the place.

Corkey
08-19-2010, 06:57 PM
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-target-shareholders-20100820,0,5211901.story

Mister Bent
08-19-2010, 07:06 PM

Hello! We did, too, last weekend. It's not easy setting up a new household without Target, but I'm not giving them my $.

atomiczombie
08-19-2010, 07:09 PM
Target to Take No Corrective Action Over Donation to Anti-Gay PAC

Target Corporation says it will not honor the Human Rights Campaign's request to "make it right" over its sizable donation to MN Forward, a conservative political PAC which has funded campaign ads for anti-gay gubernatorial candidate Tom Emmer. Emmer supports an amendment banning same-sex marriage in Minnesota, among other anti-equality measures including preventing gay and lesbian couples from using a surrogate mother.

HRC is responding by putting $150K toward pro-LGBT Minnesota candidates, the group says in a press release:

"After two weeks of good-faith discussions, and two tentative agreements, with Target Corporation, the company has informed the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), the nation’s largest lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) civil rights organization, that it will be take no corrective actions to repair the harm that it caused by contributing $150,000 to an organization supporting a vehemently anti-gay candidate closely associated with a Christian rock band that advocates death and violence to gay people.

In response, HRC announced that it will devote $150,000 of its own resources to help elect a pro-equality governor and legislature in Minnesota. The next governor will likely have the opportunity to either sign or veto marriage equality legislation in the North Star State.

Said HRC President Joe Solmonese: “All fair-minded Americans will now rightly question Target’s commitment to equality. If they’re initial contribution was a slap in the face, their refusal to make it right is a punch in the gut and that’s not something that we will soon forget. However, with full marriage equality hanging in the balance in Minnesota, regardless of Target, it’s important that we as a community send a message that we will work tirelessly to elect pro-equality candidates.”

HRC tells Towleroad it will be supporting Mark Dayton for governor as well as fund "pro-equality legislative candidates and pro-LGBT causes."

Okay Target, I haven't shopped at you since this whole thing started, but now you are OFFICIALLY fired. You did this to yourself. Live with it.

Kmart, you are my new friend. Please behave yourself better than Walmart and Target have.

Galahad
08-19-2010, 07:26 PM
Today I saw a protest article on facebook. It advocated a 20 to 30 person group getting together and slowly filling their shopping carts with small insignificant merchandise.Then as they get about through checkout remember and then announce " I forgot, I don't shop at Target anymore." Would it really help? It would keep the stock clerks and cashiers in work.

Sabine Gallais
08-20-2010, 08:50 AM
I hate to burst everyone's bubble but, if you follow your strict criteria of politics and business--you'll never shop anywhere. Good luck with that.

:canoworms:

Soft*Silver
08-20-2010, 03:02 PM
Diva...I think if we just make up signs and post them in our yards, on our cars, on tshirts, that would be enough. I am going right now to post it on my family FB account...lol....thanks for the bodacious outburst laugh! PERFECT!!!

I'm gonna open me up a BIG OL' STORE....right here in WEIRD OL' AUSTIN.......and name it.....

......wait for it....

......wait for it........

TARGAY.
:eyebat:

Soft*Silver
08-20-2010, 03:05 PM
half a million people have viewed this. Its on my family FB account. My family is spreading it. I love young advocates! I am glad they are carrying on the torch!

9FhMMmqzbD8

SuperFemme
08-20-2010, 08:37 PM
I hate to burst everyone's bubble but, if you follow your strict criteria of politics and business--you'll never shop anywhere. Good luck with that.

curious as to what you consider strict criteria of politics and business? i appreciate the good luck wishes, but have a sneaking suspicion that not everyone has the same criteria....

Toughy
08-20-2010, 08:46 PM

Would you care to engage in a conversation about politics and business and their relationship in terms of boycotts? The pros and cons and results over the last 50-60 years?

Or are you just having fun doing cutesy drive-by posts?

Up to you, of course. I'm game.......

edited to add: you might be surprised at what I think...........

Galahad
08-20-2010, 09:35 PM
Toughy,
I know you can explain the whys if I'm looking at this wrong. I think that any big business, like Target will donate money to candidates who further their interests the best. The Republican party is the party that protects the interests of big business. So anywhere we shop that isn't handmade or homegrown will be giving a share of their profits to the Republican party. I don't think I've ever heard of big business to care about regular people except in a token way for their own advertising. Now that businesses can give as much as they like to the politicians of their choosing we are in trouble.
The farmer workers strikes really hurt pocket books and boycotts stayed in peoples minds that way. Now boycotts are forgotten so soon by all but a few, that the big companies will still make their profit.
So sincerely, give us hope if you know how boycotts can make a difference.

Toughy
08-21-2010, 11:20 AM
Toughy,
I know you can explain the whys if I'm looking at this wrong. I think that any big business, like Target will donate money to candidates who further their interests the best. The Republican party is the party that protects the interests of big business. So anywhere we shop that isn't handmade or homegrown will be giving a share of their profits to the Republican party. I don't think I've ever heard of big business to care about regular people except in a token way for their own advertising. Now that businesses can give as much as they like to the politicians of their choosing we are in trouble.
The farmer workers strikes really hurt pocket books and boycotts stayed in peoples minds that way. Now boycotts are forgotten so soon by all but a few, that the big companies will still make their profit.
So sincerely, give us hope if you know how boycotts can make a difference.

I don't think there is a right or wrong way to look at this.

I rarely shop at box stores like Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, Home Depot, Lowe's, Sports Authority, etc.. I live in a major urban area and there are other options for me to buy stuff.....such as locally owned business. In small town America (today) those options are almost gone....and what you get is Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart is a thousand times worse than Target ever thought about being. They fuck their employees, drive out locally owned small business (the backbone of our economy), donate to any and every right wing cause you can think of and create a huge box store with a huge tree-less parking lot. And they have been doing it for years and years.

Boycotting a single huge corporation is only as useful as the publicity it can generate. Hopefully (though not likely over time) it will wake-up a few people and help them change shopping patterns from big business to small locally owned business. It also gives the individual a chance to feel good about themselves. However, switching from Target to K-Mart in the end only continues to support big business, whose goal is maximum profits generated on the backs of cheap labor and low quality products.

Delores Huerta, Cesar Chavez and Larry Itliong organized a once in a lifetime event with the farm workers strike. The reason it worked was coalition building among different groups of farm workers. Comparing that to a big business boycott is apples and oranges.

Yes Citizens United has completely changed the political money game. It will go down in history as one of the worst SCOTUS decisions. Congress could pass some campaign finance laws that would mitigate the impact, but the likelihood of that is about equal to pissing into the wind and staying dry.

Anyway.........that's my take on boycotts in general. I'm not sure I'm giving hope to anyone with it..........you and I have the same basic feelings I think

Sabine Gallais
08-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Would you care to engage in a conversation about politics and business and their relationship in terms of boycotts? The pros and cons and results over the last 50-60 years?

Or are you just having fun doing cutesy drive-by posts?

edited to add: you might be surprised at what I think...........

My "cutesy drive-by" post said all it needed to say. No need to insult. I don't need to launch into a 3 page diatribe on boycotts. I'm not surprised by what you think and I happen to also agree. I like to be succinct and to-the-point. Everyone probably knows what I meant and I didn't have to bore the living snot out of them with a history lesson. Your wallet has power but you must be very thoughtful of how you use it. Also, stay educated on how all these different companies function politically. OTOH, do the best you can and shop where you need to shop. These petty "drive by" boycotts are a waste.

:formalbow:

Nat
08-23-2010, 01:20 PM
I have boycotted products in the past for various reasons, but to me it's a different thing when a company who profits off my dollar turns around and gives that dollar to people who support my oppression - my not having the full rights of a citizen of the country I live in. It's not just an issue of right and wrong for me - although I do feel it's an issue of right and wrong. For me, spending money at these stores (or at any store that spends money or time taking away my voice and citizenship), just turns my stomach. I just can't do it. I loved target - I have lived an entire lifetime of loving target, but now I think of target as abusive and exploitative of the lgbtq community. Why would I pay somebody to take away a piece of my human dignity or my civil rights? My money is so hard-earned, giving it over to people who think so little of my worth as anything other than a specialized market is just too insurmountably vile for me to pretend otherwise.

ravfem
08-23-2010, 02:58 PM
Even when i know that my few dollars wont begin to make a ping in the corporation's pocket, i still go by what feels right to me when i decided whether to shop somewhere, or not.

It's my money and i just don't feel good giving it to someone/thing that i have an issue with.

The thing that makes me so mad about Wal-Mart and other "big box stores" is they practically force one to shop there by cutting the prices so low. Local shops have absolutely no way to compete, and sometimes have to even raise their prices to try and make up for the lost business to places like Wal-Mart.

AtLast
08-23-2010, 03:47 PM
In all of this, my thoughts are centered upon the recent Supreme Court decision that allows this kind of contribution method. This is only the begining...

I think it is hard for folks that live in areas that there are not many choices about where to buy. And the recession certainly sends people to the lowest prices. How could it not? I am not going to judge people that are having such a horrible economic time and have mouths to feed.

At this time in my life I am just not a big consumer and try to support local businesses. But, I live where I can do this. And big "ticket items" are just no longer on my list.

I just hope that people that recognize the political lunacy going on get out and vote and help get other people out to vote! And that we all put effort into being informed voters.

SuperFemme
08-23-2010, 04:35 PM
v1inmoke76E

Corkey
08-23-2010, 05:30 PM
http://gayrights.change.org/blog/view/target_and_best_buy_shareholders_go_ballistic_over _anti-gay_donations?me=nl

SuperFemme
08-24-2010, 10:18 AM
MSNBC rejects anti-Target ad:

YouTube- Boycott Target!

FR
09-12-2010, 11:02 PM
you'll never get away from dirty money-scroll to see Kmart in link.

http://books.google.com/books?id=szXiuJoTvZkC&pg=PA143&lpg=PA143&dq=kmart+political+contributions&source=bl&ots=56GUeVpIKI&sig=kGuhibjZaA2ai77b1E60n2qdZWs&hl=en&ei=9ayNTKvFA4S-sQPAwcDRBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CDMQ6AEwBjgK#v=onepage&q&f=false

also

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/2004-02-02-walmart_x.htm

-and it can still be happening

Random
09-12-2010, 11:40 PM
I would say that I'm boycotting because of the donation, but that would be false... I just don't like the store..

IMO Target is worse than Walmart.... With Walmart, you know where they stand.. They are not smoozing you with one hand and then handing a check to your enemy with the other...

I'll take an honest bigot over someone who smile big at you and then calls you BEEEP as soon as you leave the room..

Nat
09-13-2010, 03:26 AM
I think it's pretty sucky the way they handled it. I was a bit iffy on the boycott until they cointinued to be so assholish about it. I loved Target, and now that's ruined. It always had a happy feel to me before. They are fine with courting our money, they are fine with employing us, they are fine with having gay designers design their shit, but they will take that money and unapologietically put it toward an anti-gay gubanatorial candidate who would be in the position to possibly veto any gay marriage legislation over the next four years. The guy also has voted for English-only policies and has called Jan Brewer a hero, so you could say the same exact thing regarding the Latino population - Target will gladly take Latino customer money, gladly employ Latinos, but is fine with taking that profit and using it to make life much harder on the Latino population. I am so disappointed with Target I could spit.

Jess
09-27-2010, 05:49 PM
http://gayrights.change.org/blog/view/3m_the_latest_company_to_backtrack_on_equality

Nat
11-25-2010, 03:11 AM
Occasionally Facebook pops up with a Target ad. In the past, I have hit the "x" to get rid of the ad and either chosen "offensive" or "other" as my reason for deleting the ad. The "Other" space allows you to explain why you are deleting the ad. Twice now, my explanation has been, "I am gay." Not sure how many characters are available, but I want at every opportunity to send this message somewhere.

Now, facebook is allowing people to leave a comment under the ad, so this was my comment tonight:

I'm gay, and I don't support Target since Target donated to Emmer and then made terrible, half-ass excuses/fake apologies (I'm sorry about your feelings) about it, then entered negotiations with the HRC about the whole ordeal, but then backed out, and eventually convinced facebook to destroy the boycott Target facebook group. When I think of shopping at Target (where I used to love to shop - for the last 25 years of my life) now I just feel a bit like I want to throw up. I am disappointed bitterly that Target chose to first court the gay community, employ gay designers and gay employees in their stores and then use that profit to support a candidate with such extreme anti-gay associations. Target will never get another dollar out of me. I find it offensive that I even have to look at a Target ad on my very own facebook, and I willl block this ad as soon as I finish leaving this comment.

Not sure what happens to the comments or what the point is or who sees why I'd be deleting the ad or if it makes any difference at all, but it sure feels better and at least I don't have to look at their smug ads.

I thought maybe I would be done boycotting them once Emmer lost, but I seem to feel just as betrayed by them as when it all went down. My straight friends are back to talking about their trips to Target, and I noticed Ellen mentioned Target casually in a segment recently as though she goes there, but they are not getting any more dollars directly out of my wallet. I am not over it apparently. In my eyes, they have lost all their magic.

atomiczombie
06-03-2011, 04:07 PM
And now Target is going after the unions.... bad Target! Bad bad!! :annoyed:

http://gawker.com/5808299/heres-targets-super+scary-anti+union-propaganda