PDA

View Full Version : General Immigration Issues - The Good, the Bad...

AtLast
08-13-2010, 02:15 PM
And here we go..... Enemy Alien Acts all over again!! people that were interred in the US during WWII were US citizens! This woman is not only an asshole, she knows nmothing of history! Japanese citizens were also not the only group of documented, naturalized and legal citizens during this time that were relocated in the US.

This is the kind of crazy thinking that fits right in with the mindset of people like Hitler and all of the genocides all over the world. It starts with this psychological profile and grows.

Do we want these kind of nut-cakes serving in political offices?

Florida Republican: Put immigrants in "camps"

In an interview with Salon today, a Republican candidate for the Florida state Legislature stood by her controversial idea to arrest illegal immigrants and send them to "camps" where they can be held en masse.

"We can ship them out to the middle of the country and put up high walls and leave them there," said Marg Baker, the middle-aged real estate broker vying for the Republican nomination in the state's 48th district, north of Tampa.

Baker was filmed advocating the camps idea at a local meeting of the 9-12 Project, Glenn Beck's activist group, earlier this month (watch the clip below). She told Salon today that she was upset at the way some had misinterpreted her comments. "They're trying to think I want to erect some sort of prison camps like over in Germany" -- which she is not, Baker said.

Asked if what she had in mind was more like the Japanese internment camps of the World War II era, Baker said, "something like that. But unfortunately in the Japanese camps they detaineed American citiziens. The only ones I want to detain are the ones who are illegal."

She added, "You've gotta have places for them to eat and sleep and breathe fresh air. It can be a tent city ... You don't want to make them too comfortable or they'll want to come back."

The AP reports that other Republican candidates for the seat have rejected the idea.

Baker's website lists five "reasons" not to tolerate illegal immigrants, including "prostitution."

She stressed to Salon that she would want all illegal immigrants, not just Hispanics, put in the camps. Though she added, cryptically, "the people are walking among us, and who knows."

http://www.salon.com/news/immigration/index.html?story=/politics/war_room/2010/08/12/florida_candidate_put_immigrants_in_camps

Apocalipstic
08-13-2010, 03:18 PM
And here we go..... Enemy Alien Acts all over again!! people that were interred in the US during WWII were US citizens! This woman is not only an asshole, she knows nmothing of history! Japanese citizens were also not the only group of documented, naturalized and legal citizens during this time that were relocated in the US.

This is the kind of crazy thinking that fits right in with the mindset of people like Hitler and all of the genocides all over the world. It starts with this psychological profile and grows.

In an interview with Salon today, a Republican candidate for the Florida state Legislature stood by her controversial idea to arrest illegal immigrants and send them to "camps" where they can be held en masse.

"We can ship them out to the middle of the country and put up high walls and leave them there," said Marg Baker, the middle-aged real estate broker vying for the Republican nomination in the state's 48th district, north of Tampa.

Baker was filmed advocating the camps idea at a local meeting of the 9-12 Project, Glenn Beck's activist group, earlier this month (watch the clip below). She told Salon today that she was upset at the way some had misinterpreted her comments. "They're trying to think I want to erect some sort of prison camps like over in Germany" -- which she is not, Baker said.

Asked if what she had in mind was more like the Japanese internment camps of the World War II era, Baker said, "something like that. But unfortunately in the Japanese camps they detaineed American citiziens. The only ones I want to detain are the ones who are illegal."

She added, "You've gotta have places for them to eat and sleep and breathe fresh air. It can be a tent city ... You don't want to make them too comfortable or they'll want to come back."

The AP reports that other Republican candidates for the seat have rejected the idea.

Baker's website lists five "reasons" not to tolerate illegal immigrants, including "prostitution."

She stressed to Salon that she would want all illegal immigrants, not just Hispanics, put in the camps. Though she added, cryptically, "the people are walking among us, and who knows."

http://www.salon.com/news/immigration/index.html?story=/politics/war_room/2010/08/12/florida_candidate_put_immigrants_in_camps

I am really freaked out by the direction this is going and that there is actually serious discussion on repealing the 14th amendment.

It seems filled with hate.

UofMfan
08-13-2010, 07:31 PM
We have a Boycott Arizona thread and an Immigration Equality thread but I did not see a thread for general immigration issues.

I would like to start this thread to make sure those two threads stay on topic, and we can discuss, post articles and talk about all the other immigration issues that are now in the spotlight on here.

AtLastHome posted a very good article on the Immigration Equality thread, and I would like to start by bringing that here.

UofMfan
08-13-2010, 07:42 PM

AtLast, I was talking to my best friend, who lives in Florida, about this last night.

I don't think this woman is going to get very far with this agenda. Florida, unlike Arizona, has a very high number of immigrants who are now citizens and are registered to vote. Most of those who are registered, mostly in South Florida, are Republicans. The Tampa area also has a very large population of citizens who immigrated from Cuba and Latin America.

I hope that this hatred and nonsense gets the 15 mins. of fame she was trying to achieve and no more.

I can only hope.

AtLast
08-14-2010, 05:19 PM
AtLast, I was talking to my best friend, who lives in Florida, about this last night.

I don't think this woman is going to get very far with this agenda. Florida, unlike Arizona, has a very high number of immigrants who are now citizens and are registered to vote. Most of those who are registered, mostly in South Florida, are Republicans. The Tampa area also has a very large population of citizens who immigrated from Cuba and Latin America.

I hope that this hatred and nonsense gets the 15 mins. of fame she was trying to achieve and no more.

I can only hope.

Oh yeah, Florida has a very diverse population that votes- than the Goddesses! What strikes me is this kind of talk and the fact that this woman does not even know that most of the people that were re-located at this time, were NOT undocumented! And it was not just Japanese people. Italians were among this group and lost property and their savings, too. These people came here under the existing laws of immigration at the time, became citizens, paid taxes, worked and raised families. Just like most Latinos today. Yes, the proximity of Mexico, Central & South America has had a different effect with documentation, but, these people have had a far more positive influence here than the negative impact that they continually get thrown their way.

Its the mentality that makes me crazy! And it does scare me. When the US is in economic bad times, the kind of immigrant bashing we are seeing rises and nut-cake ideas like interment camps comes out of the mouths of idiots like this woman. Plus, many people begin to think like this because they are bombarded with the ideas of ultra-right-wing nuts like Glenn Beck and actual politicians that twist things.

Just taking a look at what people do during recessions and depressions, wars, etc. historically (all over the world) is a glimpse into the worst in human character for me sometimes. People will follow the charismatic personalities of their time when feeling the stress of economics. And if those personalities are evil, then many just plain folk will become evil. Later, they will say they didn't know what was really going on. We have seen this in post WWII Germany and in just about every place where mass genocide has taken place. We saw it here with the WWI internees, too. And when we look at what Native Americans as well as Black Slavery and Jim Crowe in the US, I get nervous about people. Way nervous! History does repeat itself.

But, yes, I would think that Florida has a good voting block of naturalized citizens that would smack this woman down. But, other border states, including my own… I wonder about… Many immigrants in these states are extremely poor, uneducated, are unskilled and undocumented. They don’t have a chance against this kind of thinking. Some have been able to become citizens and learn new skills and attend school, but many have to see these kinds of achievements through their children and future generations. They don’t have a lot backing them up. They are very vulnerable right now.