PDA

View Full Version : My moms dog was poisoned

PearlsNLace
09-04-2010, 01:03 PM
My mom lives alone. She lost her fiance to a heart attack about 5 years ago. The dog he brought home has been poisoned recently. This has her even more alone, and Im really sad about that. Having a dog has in the past given my mom socially appropriate things to talk about, sometimes a reason to get out of bed when she has not had any other.

I want to help her, but I need some resources, info, and ideas.

My mom has allways loved small dogs. Shes had them stolen and had break ups where she has lost the dog to whatever man in her life brought the dog to her. I know she would like a dog that no one will take. And I believe Im able to help her with the upkeep- I have a dog, (well, 2, I have a step Moose, see paphigleos pictures) So Im well aware of the cost.

My mom is medically and mentally fragile in a lot of ways, but has shown repeated competence in caring for an animal. She does have a tendancy to feed them too many cookies. Thats a lifetime pattern that she has with everything she loves. I am often amazed at her ability to function in the world with her conditions of wich she is very private about. I have actually disclosed more about what she has overcome just in sharing my own life journey, than what she would ever be comfortable with. That is a difficult amend to make. ANYWAY,

In the past she has had a peekapoo, a shitzu, and some mutts. She likes the small ones that are not chihuahuas.

If anyone knows of a small fluffy dog that needs to be homed, let me know.
We dont live on the same side of the continent, and usually that works for me, but not in this instance.

I am checking petfinder, and the local craigslist for her area. Im hoping for other ideas or resources.

Thank You,

Pearls

PS, and can I also just say how ANGRY I am that her neighbors killed her dog because it barked at their cat? My mom, who was allways terrified of making waves, was able to stand up for her self JUST ENOUGH to tell her landlord. Who called the police. Who notified the owner of her neighbors house, and had them evicted. Meanwhile, my momma is still left without her friend. The dogs name- Beacon. And truley she was a Beacon guiding my mom along a path of health and happiness.

waxnrope
09-04-2010, 01:27 PM
I am so sorry about what happened to Beacon and to your mom. Eviction wasn't enough for the murderous asshat.

Anyway, after a lifelong history of big, or downright HUGE dogs, by chance, I ended up with a tricolor Tibetan Terrier. I've never had a sweeter, more intelligent dog. She weighs about 20 pounds. There is some grooming to consider, but turning this act into loving would probably suit your mom. Sometimes just getting a puppy cut for dogs that usually are groomed special is just the thing. Besides, they are, with puppy cut, looked on by thieves less often, I should think.

So, I would suggest that, once you decide on a breed or two, go online for that breed's rescue organization.

Good luck!

Corkey
09-04-2010, 01:29 PM
I have a question, sorry. If your mom can't protect an animal from the neighbors, I'm not sure placing another animal with her would be the responsible thing to do. Perhaps the neighbors need to be reported to the police and let the system work in her favor. Then perhaps she would be in a better position to adopt another dog.
I know how hard it can be for animal lovers, but we also have to think of the animals too.

Nina
09-04-2010, 01:30 PM
I thought I read that the neighbors have been evicted?...

Tucker
09-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Im sure any humane society and/or organization in her area would have more than a few "small, fluffy" dogs.
I hope that she finds what she is looking for.
Good luck!

PearlsNLace
09-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Corkey, the neighbors are no longer there. Plenty of sane healthy people have lost pets to crappy neighbors for one reason or another. We have had it happen to a member of our our own queer community here in Asheville. Its common enough it doesnt even make the news.

Corkey
09-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Corkey, the neighbors are no longer there. Plenty of sane healthy people have lost pets to crappy neighbors for one reason or another. We have had it happen to a member of our our own queer community here in Asheville. Its common enough it doesnt even make the news.

Thank you it wasn't clear from your first post that the neighbors weren't there any longer.
Try Best Friends Society, they will hook her up with the right pet for her.

ruthie14
09-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Pearls... I am so sorry that that happened to you! Our neighbors poisoned our dog when I was a kid. Rat poison the vet said. Nothing was done because in those days no one did anything about that kinda thing. THEY were horrible. He was a beautiful sweet collie (looked just like Lassie). So gentle and loving and smart. I hope you can find a dog for your mom.... pets are so vital for folks like your mom. Good luck on your hunt! Ruthie

Bit
09-04-2010, 04:20 PM
{{{{{{{{{{{Pearls}}}}}}}}}}}} OH honey!! So here you are in this complicated relationship with your mom, and the Geographical Cure is failing you... oh, I can sooo relate! There are times when I would give ANYTHING to be back in Phoenix just for a day--just one day!--to sort out something or other for my mom.... and then yanno I would have to sky outta there before nightfall, lol, just to keep my sanity!

So. Here's the thing. Your mom is really good with small dogs but not all small dogs are going to be good for her. You want to avoid the really yappy ones--Yorkies and Chihuahuas come to mind, and so, unfortunately, do Pomeranians; and the bitey ones--again, most unfortunately, Pommies and Chihuahuas.

You also want to consider your mom's physical grace level. If she's clumsy and at ALL inclined to trip--OR if her vision is failing!!--you want to avoid the teacups and miniatures. Their bones are fragile and it would cause her immense pain to step on or crush a furbaby; plus, if one jumps off a couch, say, or a bed, they run the risk of breaking bones... and if you get her a puppy, they are in constant danger of hypoglycemia until about six months of age.

I think getting her a dog which will naturally run about fifteen to twenty pounds would probably be the safest for her, as well as the best for the dog. A short haired dog would be easiest to take care of and also would be more easily able to deal with any summer heat. I'm a fan of rescued mutts because I think their genetics are usually better--but if you go with a purebred, I believe very strongly in meeting the breeder face to face. The same thing which tells you which patients are likely to resist taking their meds (the first time you meet them) will also tell you if the breeder is honest.

Good luck to you, honey. I hope you and your mother can find the right dog very soon.

PearlsNLace
09-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Bit, Thank you for this, yes you are reading all of this situation exactly. I have tears in my eyes, because I feel validated, and seen. THank you dearling, thank you!

What do you think of a Westie cross? I think a beagle is probably too pig headed. I certainly want a dog that will love on my mom. Poor mom, she just has never had enough love in her life. Sincerly. I want reincarnation to be true just so she can have a do-over.

Cockers tend to be incontinent, but I did think of them.

I want the adoration and energy of a Lab, in about 1/3 or 1/4th of the size I think.

suebee
09-04-2010, 05:01 PM
It's amazing how cruel people can be to animals. The "it's just an animal" defense enrages me. I hope you're able to find an appropriate dog for her.

I'm looking for one right now, and have in fact applied to adopt a specific dog. She wasn't listed on Petfinder, but I found her indirectly through that site. Many of the breed-specific rescue groups will have referrals, either from individuals or smaller rescue groups. If you click on the listing organization you'll be able to see if they have listings other than their own dogs as well.

Also, you may be able to look farther than your Mom's immediate region, as there are several different volunteer organizations that provide transportation for rescue dogs so they can reach their new home. I have the name of several if you want, and know that other members have experience with some. Perhaps they'll post information for you.

NOT to contrary Bit, ;) but larger dogs can sometimes be calmer than smaller breeds, are less fragile, and can give a senior a sense of security. Most shelters will have some kind of temperament testing system and can advise you on a particular animal. If you're really familiar with petfinder you'll know that if you click on "see all" instead of choosing a particular breed, there are links to give you information on characteristics of most breeds. Many have reduced adoption rates for seniors or will waive fees altogether. There are also organizations that help seniors in need provide food for their animals.

I wish you luck, and hope your Mom will end up with a great little furry companion.

Sue

Bit
09-04-2010, 06:15 PM
That's not contrary to me, Sue! I agree with you about larger dogs; I was just going by what Pearls said, that she wants a small dog for her mom. I personally think an older rescue would be a wonderful idea and I also was thinking a medium size dog might work--but I don't know her mom and what issues (flea meds? food costs? physical strength when handling a leash?) might make a smaller dog more appropriate.

Pearls, hon, I don't know the Westie breed well enough to know about temperament and energy levels, but I do know cocker spaniels and I was actually debating whether to recommend one for your mom when I posted the first time. I didn't because of the size, but yanno, my Mandy was NEVER incontinent; I got her when she was two and she was exactly as you describe--all the adoration and energy of a lab in 1/4 the size. She was smarter than a lab, too, the smartest dog I ever had.

For smallish dogs and incontinence, there's always the Wizdog option. http://www.wizdog.com/ (http://www.wizdog.com/) I want one more than I can say for the iced-in days of winter! But truly, if we couldn't have resolved Lady's incontinence issues, I would have gotten one for everyday use. Her pattern of going by the door told me that she was trying to get outside and just couldn't--and I bet cockers are the same way.

Reincarnation and do-overs are good! My Mandy and my Pooka both came back, so if dogs and cats can, why can't we? :cheesy:

julieisafemme
09-04-2010, 06:22 PM
This is appalling Pearls. I am so so sorry this happened to your mother. I'll tell you a small breed I really like is the Corgi. They are sturdy and sweet and not too physically demanding. They get on well with other animals and people too.

Bit
09-04-2010, 06:24 PM
ooo... I hadn't thought about a Corgi... wouldn't that be like a large dog in a small body? Best of both worlds!

Corkey
09-04-2010, 06:27 PM
Ok why I mentioned Best Friends Society. The are the shelter of last resort for all animals, not just dogs and cats. So not only are you continuing to help a no kill shelter, you will have a behavior identified, medical identified dog who will love you forever. Takes the guess work out of things.

waxnrope
09-04-2010, 07:41 PM
ooo... I hadn't thought about a Corgi... wouldn't that be like a large dog in a small body? Best of both worlds!

Lol Bit. Before I got my Tibetan terrier, I was thinking about a Corgi. They are rather alpha, and take some training, or they'll run the house. But my saying that they are "almost a real dog, like a shepherd with sawed off legs" did not go down well with my friend who has two of them.:(

Bit
09-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Oh myyyy Terry, no, I wouldn't think it would go over well. *rueful laugh* Although I confess, when I first got Lady (after having had big dogs), I said something similar---"that's not a dog! It's just a doglet!" :cheesy: She's been the doglet ever since, even when she got up to twenty pounds, lol!

One of the things I like about this thread is that so many people have mentioned various rescue organizations. I hadn't heard of some of them before, and it's good to have them listed!

Galahad
09-04-2010, 11:39 PM
Westies are great dogs for elderly people. They're always interested in what you're doing. They need to be with you "helping". Very active and playful when young but there are lots of calmer older rescues are out there. They take daily combing, and need a face trim every few months and a field cut in the summer is helpful. They are tough little guys, bred to take down small deer and dig out badgers from their dens.

suebee
09-04-2010, 11:45 PM
It's dogs like this I think of when I look for a dog to adopt. They need us every bit as much as we need them. Link to sweetness (http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/15678412).