PDA

View Full Version : Q&A after Surgery

Sam
10-29-2010, 05:06 AM
as ya'll know i had my surgery yesterday 10.28.10

i woke up this morning with huge clots. so i immediately called my dr cause they were pretty big. he said its normal and that the clots/drainage will very from side to side.

Anyone else have alot of clotting?

always2late
10-29-2010, 06:18 AM
I can't comment as someone who has had surgery..but I am a nurse and I've seen quite a few. Do you have JP drains? (I'm assuming you do, and that is how you saw the clots). Clots are normal...in fact, if the drainage is bloody, you will sometimes have clots form in the drainage collection. This is normal. The drainage will eventually become less bloody and turn to a pinkish fluid (serosanguinous). This is also normal. Also, the drainage will vary from side to side.

I hope this helped :)

Sam
10-29-2010, 07:06 AM
thanks, its all blood so far more drainage on the left side.

Alpha Dog
10-29-2010, 08:59 AM
I had my surgery in March - yep clots are to be expected. When you empty the drains remember to sort of massage the tubing to help anything stuck to release. I had most of it on one side, clots, drainage and bruising. After I had the drains removed that same side continued to drain - for about 3 more days. Who did your surgery?

katsarecool
10-29-2010, 09:10 AM
Speedy recovery Sam!!!!!

Greyson
10-29-2010, 09:21 AM
Yes, speedy recovery Sam. I did not have clots but I have known others that did.

Sam
10-29-2010, 10:06 AM
I had my surgery in March - yep clots are to be expected. When you empty the drains remember to sort of massage the tubing to help anything stuck to release. I had most of it on one side, clots, drainage and bruising. After I had the drains removed that same side continued to drain - for about 3 more days. Who did your surgery?

thanks. Sheldon Lincenburg sandy springs ga

Sam
10-29-2010, 10:07 AM
thanks Greyson, after the 1st one i couldnt understand how they got out of the tube.