PDA

View Full Version : What is/are your biggest fears?

Apocalipstic
11-21-2010, 02:07 PM
There are small things that creep us out...like giving a speech, worms, spiders, clowns. snakes, bugs....but what is your biggest fear?

I do not fear death.

What I fear most is family.

The Holiday season begins this week and I am sick at my stomach. Yes I go to therapy, yes, I meditate, yes yes yes, I do all the things I am supposed to and am on medication to make me not care.,

Yet.

I am almost frozen with fear.

diamondrose
11-21-2010, 02:24 PM
I fear leaving familiar places and going to a unfamiliar place. I always have to tell myself to stop being ridiculous.

girl_dee
11-21-2010, 02:33 PM
lots of people in buildings.. I know they are not going to smother me and suck all of the air out of the place but that is exactly what is going to happen.

diamondrose
11-21-2010, 02:35 PM
i get terrified when i am in an elevator full of people. I will get off asap and wait for the next one to get to the floor i am headed to

I am terrified of the word "root canal"

Julie
11-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Doctors..
I go (well am supposed to) for full body scans every six months.
I am terrified of enclosed spaces.
Needles.
I get biopsies fairly regularly and they involve LOTS of Needles.
Body Scans require Needles.
I used to have someone go with me for my biopsies and scans...
She is moving far away.
Now I have to go alone...and not have anyone hold my hand or feet.

Ohhhh - I am not afraid of dying or death
But I am afraid of donating my organs (even though I am)
And afraid of being cremated (even though I am).

I am a MESS!

Andrew, Jr.
11-21-2010, 02:40 PM
My 2 fears:
1. Family
2. Being burned alive

The_Lady_Snow
11-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Spiders, clowns, ice cream trucks & over friendly in your face people

:|

Jet
11-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Doctors..
I go (well am supposed to) for full body scans every six months.
I am terrified of enclosed spaces.
Needles.
I get biopsies fairly regularly and they involve LOTS of Needles.
Body Scans require Needles.
I used to have someone go with me for my biopsies and scans...
She is moving far away.
Now I have to go alone...and not have anyone hold my hand or feet.

Ohhhh - I am not afraid of dying or death
But I am afraid of donating my organs (even though I am)
And afraid of being cremated (even though I am).

I am a MESS!

Ah, my cake friend...I just had an MRI in an enclosed space...moved during the imaging and he has to do the whole thing over. I fear not getting thru it again. My greatest fear of all is not overcoming PTSD. Bad, bad implications.
You're not a mess, you need to bake my Watergate Cake and feel better.

atomiczombie
11-21-2010, 02:53 PM
I fear lots of things. In no particular order:

Germs.

Going to strange places alone.

Going to not so strange places alone, such as the grocery store or the gym.

FIRE.

Enclosed places, theaters.

Job interviews.

Going to the doctor, especially my psychiatrist.

Being alone.

Living by myself.

Finding myself in a situation where someone is being not nice to me, and having no way out (except my ex-wife. I can handle her, oddly.)

Not being able to help my daughter when she is in trouble!

Dying before my work here in this world is finished.

That's all I can think of for now. There may be more that I will add later.

Julie
11-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Ah, my cake friend...I just had an MRI in an enclosed space...moved during the imaging and he has to do the whole thing over. I fear not getting thru it again. My greatest fear of all is not overcoming PTSD. Bad, bad implications.
You're not a mess, you need to bake my Watergate Cake and feel better.

I will bake your cake... I did bake brownies last night :-)

I will hope you can get through your MRI. I know how hard it can be.

bigbutchmistie
11-21-2010, 03:54 PM
I almost panic to be around a bunch of people. Even my job as I know everyone there it still frieks me out to have to get up in front of everyone and talk.

I fear dying alone. This is very real for me. I live alone and most days, the phone doesnt ring. Not cause my friends dont care but they are all coupled with families and are busy. When I was in the hopsital diagnosed with meningitis and a couple of other times I was in there alone, it hits me. And its the loneliest feeling in the world.

Being burned to death

Fire does scare me

Buildings full of people. I wont go in alone.

girl_dee
11-21-2010, 04:39 PM
being trapped in line.. like at Tim Hortons drive thru where there is walls on both sides :|

lipstixgal
11-21-2010, 05:51 PM
I fear dying alone I live alone so that's why.
I also fear going into the city all alone at times even though I did it for years before.
Pretty much that's it..

Glenn
11-21-2010, 05:57 PM
My furkids becoming orphans:(

katsarecool
11-21-2010, 06:02 PM
Not getting to see my grandchildren grow up.
I wasn't afraid of big needles but now I am!
I am not afraid of dying; just not in the for seeable future.
Spiders, no matter what size creep me out.
Family reunions; the family is so dysfunctional they all feel the need to get rip roaring drunk then dump on each other. Normally they shove shit under the rug. I hate that! Not my kids and their family. I am talking about siblings and my step-father that was negilgent, abusive and mean-spirited to us all. Besides this I am fearless!

Apocalipstic
11-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Family reunions are almost more than I can bear to think of. shudder.

asphaltcowboi
11-21-2010, 07:02 PM
my biggest fear is gaurdrails at 80 mph.

JustJo
11-21-2010, 07:04 PM
I work myself into a fit just knowing that I'll have to face a needle.
Drowning.
Spiders, but only if they're big or hairy...tarantulas totally freak me out.

I don't have fears about my family, but know that my mother is bad for me so I keep my exposure limited....and I've cut my sister out completely purely for self-preservation.

I can handle crowds, enclosed spaces, public speaking...but like many here I wonder sometimes if I'll see my son grow up (having health issues and having had him at 35....I know I likely will, but it's on my mind)....and groups of men laughing can put me on high alert, even when I know it's irrational.

I'm squeamish...so the sight of blood, or even discussion of things bloody or medical that gets too detailed can make me feel light-headed and I get that "seeing in black and white, ears ringing, I'm going to pass out" feeling. It's not a fear exactly, but still something I avoid like crazy.

Venus007
11-22-2010, 01:01 AM
Loosing the ability to be self determining in my life

Becoming a prisoner in my body

Forgetting all I have fought for and learned and relapsing/regressing to my broken past

Being homeless (it has been nearly 20 years since I was homeless and I still keep an eye out for safe places to sleep and shower)

Diva
11-22-2010, 02:22 AM
When I was little ~ about 5, I guess ~ my Mom put me in swimming lessons. At one point, we were supposed to open our eyes under water and be able to tell the instructor how many fingers he held under the water. I just kept guessing....wrong, of course. And finally, he pushed my head underwater until I would open my eyes.

I jumped out of that pool and never went back.

From that point on, I was scared of the water. When I was in college, I had to pass a swimming test in order to graduate. :| I failed the test repeatedly, so I had to take a semester of swimming. I learned the basics, but I still couldn't open my eyes underwater.

In 1991, I went to New Braunfels with a bunch of women. We were gonna inner-tube down the Guadalupe. I thought I could do this. Yes, I was scared.

Well....as luck would have it, I didn't paddle to the banks when I was supposed to and my partner and I got swept into the rapids and sucked under.

Long story short (right), I almost drowned. I was pulled to safety by a couple of paramedics who just happened to be close-by.

I'm terrified of drowning. And I'm a Pisces.....sign of The Fish. Go figure.

Words
11-22-2010, 02:41 AM
Crossing bridges by foot, especially those with traffic underneath (for some reason, the rapid movement of the traffic freaks me out).

I'm always afraid that I'll succumb to a sudden temptation to jump and inevitably have to wait for someone to hold my hand and walk me across with my eyes closed.

Words

Turtle
11-22-2010, 02:43 AM
eeeeuooooow - spiders, good thing my honey's not scared of em.

big crowds - NO!!

most of the other things are getting better with each try :-)

and a fear that's too big to say, cuz I don't want to jinx them :praying:

Random
11-22-2010, 02:48 AM
I have three..

1 Heights without a rail or some sort of barrerer... I can do it but I break out in the sweats and the shakes... Why, yes I do love driving through the mountains....

2 Something horrible would happen to my son.. It used to be my biggest fear, but now that he is out on his own, it's lessened... Lol.. I can't know where he is and what he is doing every day...

3 Not knowing where a loved one is... If someone was supposed to be home at x time and they are not and I haven't gotten a phone call, txt, email... I start to panic... They are dead on the side of the road... I used to say... It's not that I care where you go or how long you stay... I just need to know when to start worring, when to start calling the hospitals and driving the streets.. (I once left a voice mail on a friends phone at 12am telling him that he didn't call me when he was supposed to and now I'm imagining that he has ripped out his stitches and laying in a pool of blood and if he didn't call me back within a half hour, I was calling the ambulance to go make sure he was alive...)

girl_dee
11-22-2010, 07:41 AM
not breathing to the point that i actually smother to death

Sam
11-22-2010, 07:48 AM
any type of snake, dead, slithering, rattles. ANY

princessbelle
11-22-2010, 08:00 AM
heights as in falling from or looking from or being in or thinking about :|

bugs of any kind, any color, any shape size or ID

A flat tire (I must get triple A, i keep forgetting)

Drowning (learning to swim is also on my to do list)

Something happening to someone I love (i'm a worrier)

the world running out of coffee :tea:

Blade
11-22-2010, 08:13 AM
Heights, weird cuz I never was afraid of heights until the last few years. I get vertigo without warning so if I go up, I tether to something.

I fear losing more hours at work and then losing my house and truck, but I'm looking for a job so maybe something will come up at least maybe a part time job

I don't fear crowds but I'm not crazy about being around a a stadium full of people.

I do have a fire fear, but am told that comes from a previous life.

AtLast
11-22-2010, 09:23 AM
So many of the things that I have feared in the past just don't bother me as much anymore. Don't know if this is a good or bad thing... After going through the deaths of 4 family members and a lover in a short time period, I was very fearful of cancer. Now, I have calmed and know that it is up to me to take care of myself and go in for preventive tests, etc. Not that I am perfect about this at all- those damn personal flaws!! FDR's "there is nothing to fear, but fear itself," rings true for me in terms of doing whatever I need to in terms of combating my own anxieties.

I do fear the rising of the far right to the point of gaining a majority in the US government, however.

Daddy Raven
11-22-2010, 09:30 AM
I'm disabled and deal with chronic pain and mobility limits, so most of my fears revolve around that. I fear not being able to take care of myself when I'm older and losing my independence. I also fear being unwanted and a burden to others.

Tcountry
11-25-2010, 10:27 AM
...Not being there...to protect or help a loved one...

Billy
11-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Elavators :| Don't like them , I avoid them especially if there are a lot of people in there ..Years ago I was in one , it started to get full , and before I could get off on any floor , it stopped real fast and this drunk guy flew into Me and My first reaction was to turn and bodyslam him to the back of the elavator :| He hit that back and slid down , oppssss :blink:

The one at the hotel for the reunion was a lil freaky for Me , but it was never full and it was fast ...lol :)

Nat
11-25-2010, 10:50 AM
I think i have to get out of bed and drive to it right now. :(

ravfem
11-25-2010, 11:08 AM
i fear escalators. Nothing traumatic has ever happened on them, i remember riding them as a child and doing fine. But i fear them now to the point that just walking by one makes my palms sweat and my heart race.

i fear giving all of me, and having the recipient eventually say, "no, i changed my mind, i don't want you anymore".

i fear breaking my right arm.

i fear, right at this moment, that i'm going to have to go upstairs and have a come-to-jesus meeting with my new neighbors. OK, maybe "fear" is the wrong word.....or maybe it's right, but not for that reason. Maybe i really fear the beat down imma hafta leave her with. :|

FlowerFem
11-25-2010, 04:16 PM
Dying alone in a nursing home.

lipstixgal
11-25-2010, 04:48 PM
Dying alone and not meeting anyone soon.

Bugs any kind especially cockroaches had when I lived in NYC it was awful!!

Certain Heights it could be an elevated area to.Animals in the garbage like oppossum, one was in the trash a couple of weeks ago I think dead..yucky

JAGG
12-01-2010, 08:03 PM
When I was little ~ about 5, I guess ~ my Mom put me in swimming lessons. At one point, we were supposed to open our eyes under water and be able to tell the instructor how many fingers he held under the water. I just kept guessing....wrong, of course. And finally, he pushed my head underwater until I would open my eyes.

I jumped out of that pool and never went back.

From that point on, I was scared of the water. When I was in college, I had to pass a swimming test in order to graduate. :| I failed the test repeatedly, so I had to take a semester of swimming. I learned the basics, but I still couldn't open my eyes underwater.

In 1991, I went to New Braunfels with a bunch of women. We were gonna inner-tube down the Guadalupe. I thought I could do this. Yes, I was scared.

Well....as luck would have it, I didn't paddle to the banks when I was supposed to and my partner and I got swept into the rapids and sucked under.

Long story short (right), I almost drowned. I was pulled to safety by a couple of paramedics who just happened to be close-by.

I'm terrified of drowning. And I'm a Pisces.....sign of The Fish. Go figure.

I've taught hunderds of people to swim, actually do more than swim, to survive in the water. I can teach you too . If you ever want to learn, I can do it in 1 afternoon. Can't teach you to swim in 1 afternoon that takes a few days, but teach you to not fear water anymore and love it, instead of fear it. You can keep your eyes closed the whole time if you like.

miss entycing
12-01-2010, 08:23 PM
finding out I was right about everything... and then some.
:confused:

bigbutchmistie
12-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Im scared of :

Heights... No roller coasters etc for me :)

Dying Alone

Julien
12-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Isolation and being alone;
Not achieving my potential;
I have a reoccurring nightmare that I am working in retail sales again, don't want that to happen

1PlayfulFemme
12-01-2010, 08:57 PM
My greatest (real) fears:

Being trapped, anywhere...

Being home alone in the dark (even at night sometimes) - we had a break in a few years ago, and I was home alone...and I thank God every day that our pups scared the intruder away...but, I've never been the same.

Failing. Miserably.

Falling apart at the seams..and having no tape, thread, or glue.

Soft*Silver
12-01-2010, 08:58 PM
fear of not getting a job or not getting approved for SSDI. I either want to be declared fit to work or unfit to work..just for gods sake give me some income. I am scared how much longer I can go on living on what I have been living on..and I am scared to death of reaching the point of not being able to...

fear of my dog dying...we are kinda holding each other up right now

fear of getting kicked of medicare. Holy shit. Now that would be a nightmare.

Rockinonahigh
12-01-2010, 10:15 PM
At the moment the one thing I fear is the doc's not being able to fix my back in some way I can live with or haveing a procedure done and it becomeing worse.

dixie
12-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Anything vehicle related. Driving, being a passenger in a car especially at higher speeds, those concrete barriers on interstates....Every time I get in a car I have an odd fear that I will die... *shudder*

Heights. I have to be very careful of even standing near a window or balcony if it's on the second floor or up, because I will pass out. I think that's also why I am afraid to fly. I went to the airport when I was younger, watched a plane take off, and passed out cold.

Modern funeral/burial options. I have this weird phobia that I will be in some strange coma that lowers my heart rate to where they will think I am dead, then try to bury me or cremate me alive. I would much rather be buried at sea, because I love water and don't fear drowning.

Large crowds and meeting new people.

Some days I have anxiety issues on even going into the grocery store. I don't like going places alone, but it is something that I'm getting better at. I will not eat in a restaurant alone. Ever since childhood I have this weird thing about people watching me eat. I'm getting over the watching part, but not so much the alone part. If I'm by myself, I will go to a drivethru and eat in the car.

I am more comfortable in small rooms and sometimes I will sit in my closet and meditate, but I am petrified of the confined space of medical equipment. I am scared of any kind of medical equipment actually, or medical procedure.

My biggest fear: I am terrified of any harm coming to my son, whether it be from car wreck, illness, weird accident, other people, etc...

I will probably be back, because I have more. Odd how fearless I was until I had my son almost 13 years ago. Since then, even things I used to love I am now terrified of... :(

LipstickLola
12-01-2010, 11:13 PM
My greatest fear, is what will become of my disabled daughter when I am gone......

I also 'fear' being in the midst of very large, over-powering crowds, the kind that carry you along *shudders*

Heights? I fear them too without railings, or something to hang on to. Zip lining wasn't for me :(

Gentle Tiger
12-01-2010, 11:15 PM
That I didn't make a difference but only took up space.

Passionaria
12-02-2010, 12:19 AM
:praying: The safety of my loved ones. I have very adventurous children. Especially my son. Sigh. He has epilepsy. I can't tell you how many times I have found him battered and bruised, bleeding from going face first onto the pavement while having a seizure. Any time any where. Sometimes when I look at his beautiful face my mind tells me love him while you can there are no guarantees you will see him again, and it scares me because I don't know how I could go on with out him, I love him so much. :praying: :rose:

bigbutchmistie
12-05-2010, 09:19 AM
Never having the love of a woman

Deborah
12-05-2010, 09:26 AM
That the ones I love will not find peace and happiness with themselves or life in general....I would do anything to give them this but as awesome as I am, I cant fix everything....huge sigh

weatherboi
12-05-2010, 09:41 AM
I fear that fear itself will keep me from achieving/experiencing something amazing!!!
:mohawk:

little_ms_sunshyne
12-05-2010, 12:20 PM
I fear-

heartache

feeling helpless

not being able to help when I am needed the most

my imagination after watching a SCARY MOVIE!!!

letting someone down

HoneyedChrysanthemum
12-23-2010, 09:11 AM
i am not AFRAID but i don't care for the paranormal shows in general. the one dealing w/weres and vamps and their relationships to humans i don't mind. it's the ones w/TAPS and Paranormal State, etc that I dislike. i've watched them and have come to the conclusion that their soundtracks are what I don't like.
i, like some above, also have auto-related dislikes. the one thing in my life that i would call a fear, even a phobia, is driving w/someone else in the car. the idea that some mishap be it my fault or not might take MY life doesn't bother me, but taking PASSENGERS lives does greatly! i've had my one auto accident, not my fault. that took no-one's life but ended up w/me in severe chronic pain.(yet another reason i vehemently oppose talking on cell-phones while driving. the driver who hit me was talking on a cell phone and going 60 mph with small children in the van.) since i do not drive anymore, that fear is now moot.
i don't like killing bugs, b/c they are on some level sentient beings.
i don't want to act w/o compassion.
that's about it.

Gina
12-23-2010, 10:21 AM
Any kind of spiders....also, I am afrad of puke - I can watch someone bleed out - but barfing freaks me out...

lipstixgal
12-23-2010, 11:22 AM
NOt meeting someone and falling in love with someone...also spiders yuck and cockroaches, had when I lived in NY

Kenna
12-23-2010, 01:25 PM
I have ALWAYS been afraid of cracking up during at interview. I am EXTREMELY talented at performing under HIGH stress, production demands, under very tight time lines and with very limited resources....multi-tasking and running several HUGE Programs and Projects comes natural to me.... I can facilitate HUGE board room meetings bringing together various Agencies and make clashing personalities mesh like they are best of friends... I can run "A Well Oiled Machine" and have pulled off some of the biggest Health Care Program Management accomplishments known to Medicaid......

Why do I crack up during an interview is beyond me. But I'm always afraid of it, no matter how much I'm prepared and "cool" before I enter that room.

LeftWriteFemme
12-23-2010, 02:10 PM
abandonment, I fear abandonment above all other fears

lespere
12-23-2010, 02:11 PM
My real - deep down fears:

Losing everything and being homeless
Being trapped in a small space I can't stretch out in - especially something where I am bent or folded over

My anxiety triggers - not quite the same for me:

Too much noise / stimulation
Being in a space with too many people
Getting yelled at without being able to leave the situation
Family "womens gatherings"

julieisafemme
12-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Meat. Chicken in particular. Ground beef as well.

Especially the steak on Grey's plate right now!

Gemme
12-23-2010, 08:34 PM
I fear that fear itself will keep me from achieving/experiencing something amazing!!!
:mohawk:

I do believe that fear of things...of fears...is what really does us in. I'm reading a book right now called The Fear Book: Facing Fear Once and For All by Cheri Huber that I'm enjoying.

It's not your usual book that blathers on and is dry as rye bread. It's designed to engage you and is almost cartoonish with the graphics but I find myself nodding over and over as I read it.

If you get a chance, take a peek at it. You might like it too. :)

JAGG
12-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Heights. But I don't let it stop me from anything. I don't let it get in my way.

Gentle Tiger
12-23-2010, 09:20 PM
dying alone

little_ms_sunshyne
12-23-2010, 11:07 PM
Living life always thinking the dreaded two words..."What if"

ravfem
12-24-2010, 03:20 AM
Living life always thinking the dreaded two words..."What if"

i had to nod at this.... i have a habit of playing the "what if" game, and i really hate it.

But, after going through some of the what ifs in my head, i have occasionally taken a chance that maybe i wouldn't have normally taken, so though it's a bane, it has helped once or twice.

little_ms_sunshyne
12-24-2010, 01:16 PM
i had to nod at this.... i have a habit of playing the "what if" game, and i really hate it.

But, after going through some of the what ifs in my head, i have occasionally taken a chance that maybe i wouldn't have normally taken, so though it's a bane, it has helped once or twice.

I need to take a chapter out of your book lol

Gemme
12-24-2010, 02:02 PM
dying alone

Many wise folks have said that we all die alone, but I understand what you mean. It's comforting to know that someone will be by our side during that time.

For myself, I don't want to be in a situation where I'm trapped in my own body....vegetable state....and not be able to communicate what my desires are. I don't want someone to keep me alive because "they" think it's the "best thing" for me. They don't know. It's my body...my life...and it's mine to live as I see fit.

Once the quality is gone, I'm perfectly fine with letting go. Heaven knows, I've tortured myself enough over the years. I'm good. I'm solid. The medical community can torture someone else. Use what you can of my body and then let. me. go.

I've already had this conversation with Organic and, when we can, I'm going to work on getting the documents in order to prevent this circumstance.

girl_dee
12-25-2010, 05:22 AM
ending up bitter and cold like my mom, I wish she was not such a downer.

SouthernStud
12-25-2010, 05:48 AM
NEVER finding another love that makes me truly happy....

sylvie
01-07-2011, 08:10 AM
i fear putting myself out there at times, because there is a fine line between extending yourself to help someone sincerely, and getting yourself involved in something that just drags you down..

Jet
01-13-2011, 12:20 AM
Dead-pale little girls in black who ask, "would you come out and play with us?"

Nightshade
01-13-2011, 01:01 AM
That I will never know what true security feels like.

That there is something deeply, inherently wrong with me and not only will it prevent me from having love term love in my life, but I will never ever get to know what that intolerable thing is.

Miss Scarlett
01-13-2011, 05:14 AM
Unemployment

sylvie
01-13-2011, 08:55 AM
- the dark..
i've a real fear of the dark, especially when i'm all alone..
at night, i don't feel safe and it interferes with my sleep..
even if my children are here, i feel responsible for them, so i don't feel a sense of safety..
and yes,i even run and jump on my bed so the boogie man doesn't grab me from beneath!
:blink:

Chancie
01-13-2011, 09:00 AM
I have a deep fear of losing the security of my own home.