PDA

View Full Version : Transgender myths and "trans panic"

atomiczombie
12-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Ok I am starting a new thread on this topic as an offshoot of a discussion I am having with a bigot on another forum I belong to. Basically this guy believes that transwomen try to fool and seduce straight men into having sex with them as a sick game. He says he can understand why some guys react violently when they find out a women they are interested in is trans. Where does this myth come from? The media? Films and television? Anywhere else? And what can we all do to fight this kind of stereotype? Are there any good articles or books that outline this issue and address it? This thread is open to anyone, not just transfolks and I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this. Thanks.

Linus
12-12-2010, 02:29 PM
It strikes me that it is mostly fear that draws this out. Fear of being seen as a "wuss", as being seen as "gay", as being "emasculated". Some of it is from Hollywood's depiction of trans individuals (think Silence of the Lambs).

As to addressing it, the more that trans people are visible the less that this is there because it starts to become "someone who is a neighbour, a sister, a brother, etc.". A lot of this, IMO, is targetted towards transwomen and less to transmen (less of a threat to masculinity whereas who would want to give up the privilege of being masculine? [mentality of many of these men])

QueenofSmirks
12-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Watch a single episode of the Jerry Springer show when they feature transwomen who confess on national TV to their male lovers that they were/are male bodied. Are all transwomen like these women? No. But television is where a lot of people get "information", whether it's fake, fiction or otherwise.

Michi
01-17-2011, 09:00 PM
I pretty much agree with all of the above. Men need to continue to prove their "manhood" and that if they feel that manhood is being threatened, then we have problems. Myself, I have been with men, I have been with women, I have been with MTFs but everyone knew about me before the skirt was lifted for the first time. I do not believe that all trans women go out and try to "trap" guys. Yes, I think there are some out there who do.. But overall, I have a very healthy relationship with a nice woman my age who loves me the way I am and I am happy about that.